Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Did anyone else get spoiled by the subtitles?

When I went back to talk to the Witch after healing the boar, one of the lines identified her as Freya before going back to "Witch of the Woods". Not a huge deal but a little annoying.

That caught me as well :( I sometimes have trouble with dialogue in video games, especially if there's background noise, so I always do subtitles as well. That was bad, and there's some other spot where a line shows up like a bit early and spoils something that would have been more dramatic if it'd appeared at the right time, I can't remember what. That latter bit happens a lot in games tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If you're starved for more Norse mythology and play Hellblade after this, definitely turn subtitles off for that game.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I didn't catch that particular error so I was still surprised by the reveal. The subtitles themselves are funny though, with liberal use of ALL CAPS and when certain characters talk to the World Serpent.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

shortspecialbus posted:

That caught me as well :( I sometimes have trouble with dialogue in video games, especially if there's background noise, so I always do subtitles as well. That was bad, and there's some other spot where a line shows up like a bit early and spoils something that would have been more dramatic if it'd appeared at the right time, I can't remember what. That latter bit happens a lot in games tbh.

For me it was when they're ascending the elevator to the peak of the first mountain and there's a dash printed at the end of the line that gets interrupted by the dragon busting in.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
This has some real good I frames and you can cancel a ton of animations with a dodge. The triangle axe charge move is extremely dope as well. Built some armor, did a side quest, and now I'm off on another side quest. Kick rear end.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Can I get a Boy Boy Boy?!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Ok I know now why people didn't know they could upgrade runic attacks.

I'm still pretty early on (clearing Alfheim) and I was trying to figure out how to level them up and found nothing. I thought that maybe I needed a dwarf to do it or something. Then like 5 minutes later I'm in the middle of a random light bridge and a little tooltip in the corner pops up saying that I can upgrade light attacks now or something. I didn't level up, finish some goal or anything like that, I was just running around between combat encounters. Yep, I can level up the runic attacks now.

So for a chunk of the game there actually is no indication that you can even upgrade those moves even when you already collected and used like 7 of them and then the option randomly becomes available with no fanfare.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Palpek posted:

Ok I know now why people didn't know they could upgrade runic attacks.

I'm still pretty early on (clearing Alfheim) and I was trying to figure out how to level them up and found nothing. I thought that maybe I needed a dwarf to do it or something. Then like 5 minutes later I'm in the middle of a random light bridge and a little tooltip in the corner pops up saying that I can upgrade light attacks now or something. I didn't level up, finish some goal or anything like that, I was just running around between combat encounters. Yep, I can level up the runic attacks now.

So for a chunk of the game there actually is no indication that you can even upgrade those moves even when you already collected and used like 7 of them and then the option randomly becomes available with no fanfare.

Yeah I didn't even see it till after I finished the game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

If you're starved for more Norse mythology and play Hellblade after this, definitely turn subtitles off for that game.

Was watching an interview with Corey Barlog the other day where he said he absolutely loved Hellblade. Play Hellblade everyone.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I got the tooltip almost right away. Like I knew how to upgrade them before I found my first heavy Runic Attack, I just didn't have the exp for it and wanted BOY to shoot better.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I didn't end up spending a lot of skill points on my runic attacks because I discovered Charge of the White Bear and Frost Giant Frenzy relatively early on, which both ended up rocking.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

shortspecialbus posted:

I'm spoilering this although I'm not sure it needs it, but better safe than sorry.

I'm not sure, I haven't finished the Impossible ones yet, but I do know that when you finish each impossible one, the sword goes away. Can't say if they'd come back for eternity if you beat them all.

With buying one heavy runic attack that cost some embers, buying one full set of muspelheim armor and upgrading it once, and then fully upgrading a set of niflheim armor which also needed embers and crests to upgrade, I'm out of most of that stuff and don't see how the remaining swords would give me enough to do all 3 sets or even close to that unless the last one gives a ton more than the others did, or the swords reset for eternity afterwards. I would focus either on a single set, or otherwise you may want to save a chunk of them for the niflheim armor which I think is arguably better anyways. The best dwarven armor may also have needed it for upgrade, I forget.

they reset once you kill the valk

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Can I get a Boy Boy Boy?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoS1MCF8AeI

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
oh my god the humor in this game

...can I turn into animals??

also i would pay $10 for another bunch of Muspelheim challenges

editt: LET'S HEAR IT FOR THE BOY, YOU KNOW YOU GOTTA UNDERSTAND

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
So in various cutscenes where one of the dwarves does a delicate little dink of the hammer onto your axe and a little message comes up that says “+1 Mark of the Dwarves” what if anything does that actually do? Does anyone know? I can’t figure it out.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

prussian advisor posted:

So in various cutscenes where one of the dwarves does a delicate little dink of the hammer onto your axe and a little message comes up that says “+1 Mark of the Dwarves” what if anything does that actually do? Does anyone know? I can’t figure it out.

It gives you +1 Runic, it's in your Supplies tab in the last tab on the right.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Chances of those two locked realms ever becoming unlocked in game?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Bacon Terrorist posted:

0%. Fodder for the sequels.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I think my favorite line in the game, at least the funniest one, was when I was in Tyr’s vault just hacking away at piles of treasure because it was fun to watch the coins and goblets get knocked around everywhere. I can’t remember where the conversation was at that point but BOY and Kratos had been talking for a while when a solution to some problem was revealed to be the act of destroying something and then...

BOY to Kratos: well that shouldn’t be a problem because you sure do like breaking stuff.

Mimir: HAAAA!

The timing and cadence was perfect. Hype Man Mimir is awesome.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Bacon Terrorist posted:

There's an obscure reference in one of the poetic eddas that make mention of a realm called D'lcheim, perhaps in a few short months our heroes shall wander there.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

BOIs and GIRLs, I have something important to tell you: gently caress Valkyries!

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

tuo posted:

BOIs and GIRLs, I have something important to tell you: gently caress Valkyries!

UNWORTHY

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

:negative:

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
a single valkyrie is somehow stronger than the entire greek pantheon, is what we just learned from god of war

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Just finished digging up the past...

Sadly a lot of the gravity was lost to me since I have no idea why the weapons are so special (is that why his arms were bandaged, did he rip the blades out?) or who Athena is and why he's so haunted by her, but that whole section was just stunning. From the way the sky subtly darkened with red ashes at the Lake, the river journey, mournful soundtrack and the way it's filmed inside the house. Just beautifully done. Love how creepy it was too, I wasn't expecting too much but this game just keeps surprising me over and over again.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Very good design to have a maze with three feet of brown fog be filled with enemies whose main attack is launching waves of brown fog

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Valkyries just suck and aren’t fun at all

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Over There posted:

I expect that the next game won't take too long come out, since they would be using the same engine. I'd say we will probably hear about it at an end of the year Sony event or E3 next year.

It'll still take years to develop because the amount of content in the game is absolutely staggering. Of course there are gonna be sequels but I wouldn't expect the next game for at least 2-3 years. I wonder if it'll be a final swansong for the PS4 or a launch or near-launch title for the PS5. It would be one hell of a launch title.

vosk
Jul 28, 2005

THE PRODIGOON SON

veni veni veni posted:

The Valkyries just suck and aren’t fun at all

I disagree. I think they're quite fun. I really like that they added some optional, neat, and challenging content.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

$10 says the third one is the PS5 opener

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The valkyries are really good and you just gotta git gud.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
One interesting idea is that, seeing as it's extremely unusual for there to be no planned DLC for this game and no season pass, they've taken what was going to be the DLC and used that as a base for the next game. In that case we could well see it sooner than we might expect (which would be loving awesome)

Sword and Sceptre
Jan 24, 2011

by vyelkin

vosk posted:

I disagree. I think they're quite fun. I really like that they added some optional, neat, and challenging content.

I like the valkryies a lot but holy poo poo gently caress those ones that summon dudes.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Is everyone playing on gmgow? The majority of the Valkyries are easy if you've got decent stuff.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
BOY buhbuh BOY buh BOY buh BOY BOY

buhbuh BOY buhbuh BOY a DANG A DANG DANG DINGY DONG DING

BLUUUUUUE DWARF

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

If you've ever died once you're a dumb piece of poo poo

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I acknowledged this a long time ago :smith:

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Thumbtacks posted:

they reset once you kill the valk

Yes but then when you finish the impossible one, as in the one that unlocks with the reset, the sword goes away for that one again and you can't repeat it. I haven't finished the impossible ones or even the last sword post-valk because the remaining challenges are ones I don't like mostly. And there's no way I'll ever do that no damage impossible one.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I just died to one of the crushing maze walls, while standing on the elevated platform, crushed to death by a stone block bumping my shoulder, I'm a dumb piece of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I’m on a part where you return to the mountain. An ogre busts out of a room and behind him there is a lantern thing for hels winds or whatever it’s called (green orbs). There is a source right below but it take a good 20 seconds to get back up. Can’t find another in between to chain it. What am I missing here?