Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Megalo Box, Hinamatsuri, FranXX, Amanchu

It's quite a spectrum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Megalobox, Gurazeni, Nobunaga no Shinobi, Franxx are all I'm still watching. I'm waiting for more Tsubasa's to queue up before watching them and I fell off of Gegege unfortunately

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I love trains, trainstations, train tracks, trainspotting and that Boccioni triptych even though he's a fascist, so I'm gonna watch a single episode of Fumikiri Jikan

wish me luck

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

I love trains, trainstations, train tracks, trainspotting and that Boccioni triptych even though he's a fascist, so I'm gonna watch a single episode of Fumikiri Jikan

wish me luck

well the first ep is good

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Academia, Layton, Megalobox, Lupin

Yet to watch on my list are Hinamatsuri, GGO, and maybe getting back on Kamuy

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

Megalobox, Gurazeni, Nobunaga no Shinobi, Franxx are all I'm still watching. I'm waiting for more Tsubasa's to queue up before watching them and I fell off of Gegege unfortunately

gegeges just a kidshow so I dont blame anybody for skipping it but I love yokai and also the neko in it and kitaro does a lot of cool action moves in it and the mc is a cool girl. Lots of cool in it.

I would have been in absolute love with it if it aired on Toonami.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

dogsicle posted:

well the first ep is good

gonna lol if after giving her random heartfelt speech the girl decides to dash across the tracks, but just then a train is coming...

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the new gegege just makes me want more animated hakaba bc it's way more of the aesthetic i like for that character and world, but i'm coping ok. so long as they give regular breaks from mana it should be good

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
oh it's only 3 minutes long, AOTY imo

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the second ep was meh, third ep an improvement but not as good as the first

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

dogsicle posted:

the new gegege just makes me want more animated hakaba bc it's way more of the aesthetic i like for that character and world, but i'm coping ok. so long as they give regular breaks from mana it should be good

i think I'd hate hakaba becuase I love a world where humans and yokai can be friend

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

i want to BECOME FRIEND with slit mouth woman and also the wall that appears at night and forces you to take detours because it is alive

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
List:

Lupin V
Wotakoi
Megalobox
MHA
HisoMaso
Hinamatsuri
Golden Kamui
GGO
FranXX

Still might check out Magical Girl Ore. Watched AggRetsuko last weekend and loved it. Tried to recommend it to a friend who I figured would love it, but she watched the trailer (for some reason) and apparently thinks it's all about Retsuko trying to find a husband to escape work, and doesn't want to watch it. Even though that's like only 2 episodes.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Sharkopath posted:

i want to BECOME FRIEND with slit mouth woman and also the wall that appears at night and forces you to take detours because it is alive

:same:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

i think I'd hate hakaba becuase I love a world where humans and yokai can be friend

i like it because kitaro kinda acts like a laughing salesman type and punishes arrogant/bad people, even if there are also sometimes good people caught in the crossfire. the hakaba anime was funny about it because he basically had the human dad who was very put-upon by having to deal with all the yokai stuff, at least until it got Too Real

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the pseudo-kitaro from a few seasons back was also really good and more in line with this current gegege adaptation tone-wise

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

well I watched two episodes of wotakoi. the manga is pleasant enough as a quick read but it's kinda dull in twenty+ minute episode format. the adaptation isn't really making any of the material pop either.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Cake Attack posted:

well I watched two episodes of wotakoi. the manga is pleasant enough as a quick read but it's kinda dull in twenty+ minute episode format. the adaptation isn't really making any of the material pop either.

The third episode is a bit better, but yeah, it's the most forgettable show I'm currently watching, and I'm watching Comic Girls. Might drop it and check out that boxing show you people won't shut up about.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Early season roundup of shows without threads:

3D Kanojo - I miss the strong attitude from the main girl in Episode 1, but episode 5 has a chance to redeem. Not sure if the potential will be used fully here.

Amanchu Advance - More of the same scuba introspection with some added spice.

Captain Tsubasa - A good reboot so far of a sports classic.

Comic Girls - Perhaps the first fairly represented THICC anime girl? Nah...

Cutie Honey Universe - Can't do it. Something is just wrong.

Fumikiri Jikan - A cute 3 minute short, but compared to say Tsurezure Children may not hold.

Mahou Shoujo Ore - This feels like a show that I'll keep watching then be happy dropping like a rock after 2 bad episodes in a row. But I'm enjoying the ride so far. Also Real Akiba Boyz chose this show as their first dance of the season, which counts for something.

Shougeki no Soma 3rd Season 2nd time - More silly food orgasms, we know the drill by now.

Tada-kun wa Koi wo Shinai - Probably next on the chopping block, but charming if you have the time.

Uma Musume - While seeing the nods to real-world horse racing history, I just can't do it. I've never bought into the idol shows, and there just isn't enough extra elevation to give me the incentive to watch this.

Wotaku ni Koi - A charming and fun subversion on the workplace romcom premise, but the hamfisted product placement is more shameful than "funny cuz bad".

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Yeah the third episode is much better I felt

I'm pretty much watching the show for the seiyuus anyway

Sugita is literally being himself and I love it

Also because someone mentioned it, did the Antarctica show from last season end up good? Ended up dropping after them making the whole"Japan was bullied after WW2" comment.

The Korean community was pretty much livid and disappointed as hell if I recall lol

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

boredsatellite posted:

Yeah the third episode is much better I felt

I'm pretty much watching the show for the seiyuus anyway

Sugita is literally being himself and I love it

Also because someone mentioned it, did the Antarctica show from last season end up good? Ended up dropping after them making the whole"Japan was bullied after WW2" comment.

The Korean community was pretty much livid and disappointed as hell if I recall lol

It's very good. That one line is pretty much the whole of commenting on Japan's geopolitical treatment, and if I remember right, it's more or less true for the specific Antarctica thing.

It's not like everyone else being pissed at Japan was unreasonable, but the arrangements for who gets what base did not have fairness as a prominent concern.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 28, 2018

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

lol

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Wasn't that scene just flat recounting of an actual thing that happened.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

AnacondaHL posted:

Wotaku ni Koi - A charming and fun subversion on the workplace romcom premise, but the hamfisted product placement is more shameful than "funny cuz bad".
I'm fine with the product placement because much of it is stuff I also like consuming.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

boredsatellite posted:

It was fantastic IMO. That particular line had basically zero bearing on anything else the show was trying to do.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

DisDisDis posted:

wish me luck

It seems like it's trying to do something different every episode, so it might be a little difficult to assess the overall quality

But it's only three minutes an episode so the overall quality is kind of meaningless anyway as far as I'm concerned

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

StandardVC10 posted:

It was fantastic IMO. That particular line had basically zero bearing on anything else the show was trying to do.

It did reaffirm that the main characters were in fact dumb teenagers, and in context and scope with the adults in that scene, confirmed that geo-political debate was not what the show wanted to do. Like she was clearly doing a "ugh, if I correct her it's just gonna be messy to explain and ruin the atmosphere, let's just go with the kid-friendly explanation" deflection, but lots of viewers did not see it that way.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

but the two girls heads are lazily photoshopped in

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

That indeed is the problem

You can't just say "oh it's kids saying so it's fine" as an excuse. Especially in the climate where there is a growing group of people who think that way these days over there

But I guess I should give the show another shot and try to ignore the line

It was amongst my top 3 before that soured it anyway

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I think context matters more than being ready to assume neo-imperialism of any given Japanese writer.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the exact exchange is

Adult: Well, Japan had a lot of restrictions placed on it after World War 2.
Kid: Woah, we were bullied!?
Adult: We kind of deserved it.

iunno how you get any kind of nationalism out of that, those are basic facts of antarctic exploration and the adult in the exchange didn't agree with the idea of Japan being bullied.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Coaaab posted:

I'm fine with the product placement because much of it is stuff I also like consuming.

One of Nifuji's girl figures was Kaede from Negima, so he is a man of good taste.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If anything, the fact that there is a growing trend of people who think that way in Japan, makes that line important, because the character giving the information says that the situation was very complicated and that Japan wasn't exactly a victim, but they did have a lot of unique challenges making it to Antarctica. It's a line from an adult who's simultaneously proud of her country's determination to engage in arctic research and has mixed opinions on the reasons why it was difficult for them, in the context of explaining it to a kid who probably hasn't heard any of this before.

I can get having some trepidation about the exchange but iunno how you take it like that, it's not something to look past or anything, it's a pretty normal conversation for two characters to have about a pretty complicated issue. Just because the characters didn't turn to the camera and deliver a 22 minute lecture on japan's crimes during world war 2 doesn't make it problematic, it's clearly conscious of why those restrictions were placed on Japan.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

they were literally bullied into having only a lovely strip of antarctic access. that is, objectively, what happened

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

*americanishly* you gotta keep your eyes peeled for militarism and historical revisionism in foreign media, it's crazy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

remember when a character in gatchaman crowds insight literally did turn to the camera and talk about how japan's crimes during world war 2 were horrific for twenty two minutes and people still criticized it as imperialistic apologism

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Endorph posted:

If anything, the fact that there is a growing trend of people who think that way in Japan, makes that line important, because the character giving the information says that the situation was very complicated and that Japan wasn't exactly a victim, but they did have a lot of unique challenges making it to Antarctica. It's a line from an adult who's simultaneously proud of her country's determination to engage in arctic research and has mixed opinions on the reasons why it was difficult for them, in the context of explaining it to a kid who probably hasn't heard any of this before.

I can get having some trepidation about the exchange but iunno how you take it like that, it's not something to look past or anything, it's a pretty normal conversation for two characters to have about a pretty complicated issue. Just because the characters didn't turn to the camera and deliver a 22 minute lecture on japan's crimes during world war 2 doesn't make it problematic, it's clearly conscious of why those restrictions were placed on Japan.

I mean I'm not expecting them to do that honestly because as you said it's out of place and breaks the tone of the show. I just take issue with the whole "bullying" term and finishing it there but hey its probably I'm just sensitive to those kind of things. I would have liked something like "it's more complicated then that" sorts of comments really than just leaving it like that

Motto posted:

I think context matters more than being ready to assume neo-imperialism of any given Japanese writer.

Koreans are always wary about that to be fair. We've been burnt by authors hiding that sort of tendencies a lot (kino's journey and the author of the girl who lept through time for example) . I admit it leads to me assuming the worst immediately

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

what word should they have used? strong-armed? intimidated? i don't know what would work best in this context, because, well, the other countries literally bullied them out of every part of antarctica

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

But the 'it's more complicated than that' line is in the show? it isnt something i made up its literally the response. the 'it was bullying' line isn't coming from the character who's explaining the history of japan's arctic research, it comes from the character being explained to. the character explaining things shoots that simplistic view of things down. the line isn't 'it was bullying' and then no response. if it WAS then that'd be hosed up, yeah, but it isn't.

id grab screencaps if my internet wasnt so garbage.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 28, 2018

• Locked thread