Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Senerio posted:

How much in sgd is the game and all the dlc?

Pretty pricey, around ~$130 SGD on PSD.

$90 SGD for the game, just under $40 SGD for all the bonus scenarios, not including any markup from foreign transaction fee / buying cards through Play-Asia / etc...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ImpAtom posted:

FYI, first mistranslated SR point I found is in the Black Mightgaine stage. The point is "defeat Black Mightgaine with a Smash Hit" not "Black Mightgaine defeats an enemy with a Smash HIt."

There's a pretty weird one in stage 5 too. It says 'Defeat all enemies within 3 turns' but triggers after you defeat 5 of 8.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
X seems to go a lot more in on crossover stuff than V ever did, which I like a lot. One of my major criticisms of V is that the tri-world setup left everyone feeling kind of segregated, while X hangs the entire game off the same big fantasy world with Wataru as a centerpoint and feels a lot less afraid to have series intermingle deeply.

One example is Puru showing up being mind controlled using technology from Zogilia's Dr. Hahn from Buddy Complex and Judau in the Zeta unable to calm her down to stop her. To deal with the situation, Bellri pulls out the Tricky Pack to temporarily shut down the Qubeley mkII, which buys Judau time to activate the Zeta's biosensor(by calling out for help from Kamille) to let Puru feel his emotions to settle her down. All of this accomplishes a lot of cool stuff; it gives Bellri an in to hang out with Judau and Puru in the plot, it pre-establishes Dr. Hahn working on mind control technology to use on Hina later(he pulled it out of his rear end in the show), and it gives the ZZ Gundam and G-Reco casts a personal reason to want to kick Zogilia's rear end besides "they're the designated enemy of our comrades". It's neat.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Is it just me or does the Start menu theme in X feel like it belongs in a Professor Layton game?

Its cool though and I like how right up front it helps set up a different vibe for X than V had.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Raxivace posted:

Is it just me or does the Start menu theme in X feel like it belongs in a Professor Layton game?

Its cool though and I like how right up front it helps set up a different vibe for X than V had.

It's Espero's theme and I don't think it's that far off.

"[Ace Pilot], the emotions you unleashed in today's battle were utterly fascinating. Your accomplishments have truly stimulated my curiosity reminded me of a puzzle!"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
If I get the digital version with the bonus scenario full pack, do i get early Cybaster? This is a very important question.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm gonna look up when Nemo turns into the most broken-rear end poo poo in the game so you can all get hype.

e: none of the guides are listing levels so just get hype generally.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

MonsieurChoc posted:

If I get the digital version with the bonus scenario full pack, do i get early Cybaster? This is a very important question.

If the digital version still says preorder then you should. Sometimes you have up to a week for it to still count. The bonus scenario full pack has nothing to do with the boy.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

EthanSteele posted:

If the digital version still says preorder then you should. Sometimes you have up to a week for it to still count. The bonus scenario full pack has nothing to do with the boy.

I checked and nope, nothing. I'm gonna try to get one of the steelbook versions from PlayAsia before they're out of print.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Time to stream more Sakura Wars 2 and not that other game. Stream going live in a few!

Edit: Stream over

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 28, 2018

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
What's a good Birthday/Blood Type for Amari?

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
Masaki's not my favorite or anything and I like other originals more than Cybuster, but I'll be damned if Neppu! Shippu! Cybuster doesn't get me hype every single time.

Also thanks Hokuto, awesome to see you worked on this :)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Aww, Seabook doesn't have the stupid high Skill he did in V as Kincaide. He was like my no.2 ace with that followup attack skill.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Klim Nick is the hero of this game.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Klim Nick is the hero of this game.

He is a genius.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

CaptainRat posted:

Masaki's not my favorite or anything and I like other originals more than Cybuster, but I'll be damned if Neppu! Shippu! Cybuster doesn't get me hype every single time.

Also thanks Hokuto, awesome to see you worked on this :)

I love Cybuster almost as much as Greenriver does.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
So uh, how are you supposed to get the SR point for Chapter 17? No one has Soul or Valor yet and even Banjo with his best hit critting supported by Valguard only gets the stupid skelebat down to about 5k hp.

Am I missing a gimmick here?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I think that might be the one I went to Expert for.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Zore posted:

So uh, how are you supposed to get the SR point for Chapter 17? No one has Soul or Valor yet and even Banjo with his best hit critting supported by Valguard only gets the stupid skelebat down to about 5k hp.

I got the full DLC pack, which came with some ridiculous TacP boosts, so I had the tier 6 Dogma unlocked for that stage, which is absolutely stupid for this point in the game (Casts Drive, Soul, Smash Hit, and Direct Attack on a target within 3 spaces). That allowed me to do a 27k Aura Slash.

Barring that, does X do surround bonuses? Is Analyze an option? Were you using your offensive debuff Dogmas on the boss? I guess swapping to Expert Mode for a stage is also an option, now that Caphi's pointing it out.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Zore posted:

I barely did it with a Giga Drill Break + Support Attack from Xelguard, while also using Analyze on the enemy, and surrounded it.
Though, I did use all my funds and TacP to buff Gurren Lagann and Xelguard to do it.

But yeah, that's like the only SR Point that has been actually difficult to get so far.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zore posted:

Make sure to surround the enemy and also use Analyze. Remember to use Xelguard's Shield of Palas Dogma if you have it to debuff the enemy's armor further. Make sure your morale is as high as it can go. Use anything that buffs damage. You can do it unupgraded (I did it with the same two you mentioned after doing all of the above.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Apr 28, 2018

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Hokuto posted:

Aura Slash.

Speaking of, what is your "A to daaAAAaaaAAA" ratio in giri daaaaaaaaa?

This is important.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 28, 2018

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Brunom1 posted:

Speaking of, what is your "A to daaAAAaaaAAA" ration in giri daaaaaaaaa?

This is important.

Boy if I'd heard Cham's voice clips before, that would have changed some things...

And also blown out my ears in tandem with listening to Iris's voice on my Sakura Wars streams, but hey.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Senerio posted:

What's a good Birthday/Blood Type for Amari?
I know people like it for some reason so behold - the only Birthday in X that includes Accel at all.

Sagittarius (November 23 - December 21) Type A

Accel
Zero-in
Persist
Bullseye
Resolve
Soul

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I wanna try out this series and could use a recommendation: I have a GBA clone, 3DS, Vita, PC, PS3, and PS4, what’s the best place to start?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

So I wanna try out this series and could use a recommendation: I have a GBA clone, 3DS, Vita, PC, PS3, and PS4, what’s the best place to start?

Well it depends on if you can speak Japanese.

If you can't there are 10 games in the series translated into English, 5 official and 5 fan translation.

If you can it opens up another like 30 games or so.

Assuming you want one of the English ones I'd start with Super Robot Wars V or X for PS4. You can buy them from the Singapore PSN (need to create a Singapore account and buy a psn card from Play-Asia, or just buy the physical copy from Play-Asia directly). They're the two most recent games, both play pretty similarly and should help ease you in and show you if you'll like the rest of the series.

You can choose which one has more series you know/like. V has Full Metal Panic!, Evangelion, and Getter Robot Armageddon etc while X has Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Code Geass, and Aura Battler Dunbine etc. They both also share a ton of series including a bunch of Gundam stuff.

Zore fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 28, 2018

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
There's a translated SRWJ ROM for GBA. Pretty good game. Has loving G Gundam in it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Taintrunner posted:

Super Robot Taisen OG 1 and 2 are in english on the gameboy advance and are fairly good games. 2 especially is one of my favourites, despite how bullshit some of the final bosses are.

Also I second SRW J. It's got Great Zeorymer!

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
The battleship command of Stats Up is really good!

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Super Robot Taisen OG 1 and 2 are in english on the gameboy advance and are fairly good games. 2 especially is one of my favourites, despite how bullshit some of the final bosses are.

Also I second SRW J. It's got Great Zeorymer!

Indeed, I would suggest playing OG1->OG2->J, if only to enjoy the progression of gameplay and graphical quality more.

Alpha Gaiden is translated for PS1 as well, after a fashion.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Taintrunner posted:

I've made two guides that'll help you.

https://pastebin.com/Y1ND2asB
https://pastebin.com/crZFqXVk

The first one just tells you the status of games that are available in English in one way or another (note, I include playing along with an LP as something that's English available, but not gamefaqs plot summaries because almost every game has one). The second one lists every SRW game, as well as everything that's available for it, patches, summaries, LPs, external translations, etc. The second one is not necessarily complete, and I always appreciate anyone telling me something to add.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

Hunter Noventa posted:

Indeed, I would suggest playing OG1->OG2->J, if only to enjoy the progression of gameplay and graphical quality more.

Alpha Gaiden is translated for PS1 as well, after a fashion.

I really disagree with this line of thinking because OG1 and OG2 are so incredibly clunky and ugly-looking at this point that I feel like someone might get turned off of the series by them.

J is a perfectly fine starting point because it still manages to look very good, despite how old it is.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Seriously if you have a PS4 just get V or X because they're new, in English, and what everyone's playing right now so you can jump right in and if you really like it THEN you can go back to the older games.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks guys! I pulled the trigger and got X for the Vita since I don't like playing SRPGs on my television. Now I just have to wait until... May 9 or 11 for it to show up.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
V and X are ideal entry points, but if you do like the series and are willing to read Japanese, the best SRWs ever are Z (only the first one) and Neo.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 29, 2018

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Caphi posted:

but if you do like the series and are willing to read Japanese, the best SRWs ever are Z (only the first one) and Neo.

Since Caphi is humble enough to not pimp his own work, I will on his behalf. Brunom, Dr. Pepper, and Caphi did a drat good SRW Z LP which summarized the story and translated certain scenes line by line. Once you're familiar with the menus and mechanics (from playing English translated games), you can play along with their LP and get the story, even if you don't understand Japanese.

As for Neo, it's one of the few entries that has a complete line by line translation. Again, once you get a handle on the mechanics, you can jump into that game without any Japanese knowledge.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

RoyalScion posted:

Pretty pricey, around ~$130 SGD on PSD.

$90 SGD for the game, just under $40 SGD for all the bonus scenarios, not including any markup from foreign transaction fee / buying cards through Play-Asia / etc...

poo poo. I thought avoiding international shipping costs would make the game 'less' expensive.
Feeling like I set up this SEA account for nothing.

And either way Playasia is not accepting my credit card for reasons unknown to me.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Apr 29, 2018

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Policenaut posted:

Seriously if you have a PS4 just get V or X because they're new, in English, and what everyone's playing right now so you can jump right in and if you really like it THEN you can go back to the older games.

Firing off a quick multi-question attack from my (naturally) crotch-mounted weapon:

If I've already got Moon Dwellers and G-Generation Genesis and no money for V or X at the moment then which one goes in first? Because Moon Dwellers is OG and not main line then I'm not sure which one is preferable if GGG is maybe super awesome given I'm guessing this is a lengthy investment and I'd like to really get into this stuff. I haven't played a SRW game since the OG 1 & 2 games on GBA (although I still have the neato boxed copies right here, along with my never-played OG Saga Endless Frontier, maybe it's time to replay them also).

Also if we're avoiding Play-Asia, and I prefer physical games, where should I be looking at? The only other option I know of is AmiAmi and I've ordered from them before without issue. I can't say I will definitely avoid Play-Asia but if they've put their hand in with the ggroup I think we're talking about then yeah I'm happy to explore other options.

And while I'm hammering away with questions, why not a third, is there a recommended best starting point to learn Japanese? One of my best friends is a Japanese teacher but assuming she's not available all the time are there any recommended good resources on top of whatever she suggests when she gets back from (wait for it) Japan also because she's constantly telling me to start loving learning, and as incentive sent me photos of some Love Live books she's picked up for me that are pure Japanese and has told me that "it's time"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

just pick whichever of srwv and srwx has more series you like in it, they're basically the same game mechanically and they're both well written

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-Ge9D9W60s

I am exceedingly pleased this was an option. (SRWX spoilers but only for one of the anime bosses.)

• Locked thread