Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/04/10/national/japanese-novelist-sparks-outcry-south-korea-insults-comfort-woman-statue/

what a freak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Endorph posted:

But the 'it's more complicated than that' line is in the show? it isnt something i made up its literally the response. the 'it was bullying' line isn't coming from the character who's explaining the history of japan's arctic research, it comes from the character being explained to. the character explaining things shoots that simplistic view of things down. the line isn't 'it was bullying' and then no response. if it WAS then that'd be hosed up, yeah, but it isn't.

id grab screencaps if my internet wasnt so garbage.

I think it was the kids talking about the bullying and the adult pretty much going "well yeah it was pretty much that" but my memory is pretty hazy on that.

^Also yeah that's pretty much why people dropped that author like a sack of poo poo that he was

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

lol the corncobbing from him

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
That is definitely not what they say

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

those your typing glasses

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Motto posted:

those your typing glasses

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
To be fair the territorial claims regarding Antarctica are legitimately unclear.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

boredsatellite posted:

I think it was the kids talking about the bullying and the adult pretty much going "well yeah it was pretty much that" but my memory is pretty hazy on that.

it varies a lot from sub to sub - the subs i had definitely leaned more towards the literal phrase 'it's complicated, but kind of.' you can read that last line as apologism but with the 'i wouldn't go that far' i read it more as 'well, its very complicated, but for the purposes of being inspired about antarctica, kind of.' which, i mean, is true, japan was very much locked out of antarctic research.

iunno. i can get having some trepidation about the line, especially if you're korean, but it's A) very far removed from japan's actual actions during world war 2. the motivation for locking japan out of arctic research wasn't really judgment for their crimes during world war 2, it had a lot more to do with international politics of the time, which, yes, were colored by world war 2, but more to do with japan's status as a loser in that war than their actions during world war 2. and B) like I said, the adult character shoots it down as being more complicated than that portrayal.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Oh my goodness fine here are the subtitles:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ultimately i think there are definitely elements of national pride in japans arctic research to the show - shirase is named after japan's first arctic explorer and the real life arctic research vessel, the characters are obviously all japanese, they talk about that stuff, it was funded by the japanese government to a certain extent - but well, arctic research feels like a totally fine thing to have national pride in. it ties into lovely attitudes to a certain extent, i won't deny that, but at the same time as people the japanese have an inherent right to participate in research and exploration, the same as any other nation on earth, and so feeling a certain sense of pride in overcoming the obstacles placed in front of them feels pretty justifiable.

I'd hardly describe it as jingoistic, anti-korean or anti-chinese, revisionism, or anything of that sort, anyway. It's not a view of Japan as better than other nations, or that it should have won the war, or that the war was justified, it's just 'as a consequence of losing the war, we had some difficulties placed in front of our research, but we overcame those anyway.' I can get having a cagey reaction to that sentiment considering who you are and how you've been burned by other Japanese creators before, and I wouldn't begrudge you it leaving a weird taste in your mouth, but at the same time I feel like dismissing it as just pure harmful nationalism feels pretty disingenuous, and comparing it to stuff like the Girl Who Leapt Through Time guy just doesn't track at all.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Endorph posted:

iunno. i can get having some trepidation about the line, especially if you're korean, but it's A) very far removed from japan's actual actions during world war 2. the motivation for locking japan out of arctic research wasn't really judgment for their crimes during world war 2, it had a lot more to do with international politics of the time, which, yes, were colored by world war 2, but more to do with japan's status as a loser in that war than their actions during world war 2. and B) like I said, the adult character shoots it down as being more complicated than that portrayal.

That's fair, the adult there does give the impression it isn't quite like the children said it and is more complicated. Can't blame the show for not saying more there.

I guess whenever Japan whines about being mistreated after WW2 it just doesn't really trigger much of a sympathy for me, the opposite really. Which is probably why I found that moment far more egregious

But yeah I was being pretty unfair and unecessarily harsh to it. I guess I'll give it another shot in the future. Also drat sorry about derailing this thread so hard

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nah, don't worry about the derail, it is a pretty complicated situation and I enjoyed thinking about it. Hope you enjoy the show if you do ever get back to it, and if you've got any random thoughts on similar lines/scenes in other shows feel free to drop them in the anime chat thread or this thread if they're airing this season, whatever, I'd love to read some more on it if you ever feel like chatting. it's a subject I see get brought up a lot but it's usually just americans going off half-remembered wikipedia articles and not really someone with a nuanced view of the issues at hand.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I will, thanks for the offer. I do admit myself that I have a lot of biases to get through as well so discussing stuff like this is useful for me. I'll try to watch sometime in the next coming weeks (if I can) and respond in the anime thread

boredsatellite fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Apr 28, 2018

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/989862064351989760

https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/989905420775968768

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Also:

https://twitter.com/PAWORKS_eng/status/990137348305268736

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

that’s a long rear end conversation if it lasted all the way from sitting in the porch to being on a boat in the middle of the ocean

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

also japan got off super easy (see also the historical manga ‘el alamein no shinden’) so they can’t complain

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

:toot:

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

nice

time for a rewatch

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

that’s a long rear end conversation if it lasted all the way from sitting in the porch to being on a boat in the middle of the ocean
lol

Davincie posted:

also japan got off super easy (see also the historical manga ‘el alamein no shinden’) so they can’t complain
i mean they got nuked a bit

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

But what does this teach us about insect biology?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

holy poo poo!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Endorph posted:

remember when a character in gatchaman crowds insight literally did turn to the camera and talk about how japan's crimes during world war 2 were horrific for twenty two minutes and people still criticized it as imperialistic apologism

you know i went back to this to check my memory, and outside of it not even being 2 minutes long which made it rather hard to find, it doesn't really do this at all. its more of a general statement on mob mentality just like the rest of the show. it in no way acknowledges war crimes, or anything like that. if anything, his reasoning of everyone just going along with it and not realizing how bad the things they were doing was also a frequent excuse of nazis post ww2. by using the dead brother angle it also does a lot to cast them as victims of the war, which while they also were, does about zilch to acknowledge their crimes. i think a read of it being anti-war is certainly fair, but to say it acknowledges war crimes is a bit much

much more successful in the rare genre of anime that acknowledge japan's crimes are anime like, and i think ive recced these in general to no avail a dozen times, mouryou no hako which directly engages with japans medical experiments and Tsuki ga Noboru made ni which is about the japanese treatment of prisoners.

Endorph posted:

i mean they got nuked a bit

also to get into this for a bit, the nukes while a war crime ive shown my distaste for frequently, outside of being a tremendous propaganda tool still don't approach the death toll due to (fire)bombings on japanese/german cities (and not to forget all the cities in occupied countries that got bombed by 'accident') which have largely been swept under the carpet.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think in the context of the show itself (groupthink is literally about to kill everybody) it comes across a lot more harsh. And the phrase 'the most terrifying thing in the world' makes it seem a lot heavier than just 'we fought and killed some people,' imo.

Davincie posted:

much more successful in the rare genre of anime that acknowledge japan's crimes are anime like, and i think ive recced these in general to no avail a dozen times, mouryou no hako which directly engages with japans medical experiments and Tsuki ga Noboru made ni which is about the japanese treatment of prisoners.
concrete revolutio mentions unit 731 by name iirc, or if they dont drop the name its very obviously what they're talking about. cool show.

Davincie posted:

also to get into this for a bit, the nukes while a war crime ive shown my distaste for frequently, outside of being a tremendous propaganda tool still don't approach the death toll due to (fire)bombings on japanese/german cities (and not to forget all the cities in occupied countries that got bombed by 'accident') which have largely been swept under the carpet.
thats also fair but nukes arent really something that can be measured in pure death toll due to the longlasting effects of them compared to a regular firebomb, of course even if you account for people who got cancer 30 years after the fact the death tolls still dont approach the longlasting bombing campaigns, true

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Endorph posted:

I think in the context of the show itself (groupthink is literally about to kill everybody) it comes across a lot more harsh. And the phrase 'the most terrifying thing in the world' makes it seem a lot heavier than just 'we fought and killed some people,' imo.

:yossame:

It's as close to a thesis statement as Gatchaman Crowds: Insight gets. The whole season is about people's willingness to get swept up in groupthink & nationalism rather than actually engage in politics. These behaviors lead people to either actively persecute minorities who don't fit in, or at least sit by and watch it happen, which is not considered acceptable by the show.

Then the show draws an explicit parallel to Japan's self-destructive, jingoistic fervor during WW2. it honestly really impressed me, I rarely see that kind of self-reflection in any medium.

I really don't like when people punish a piece of media for engaging with a tough subject for not getting everything 100% correct according to current internet left doctrine. If you do that, you're kind of abandoning the field to the right, who have no qualms with just saying their piece.

That's not to say that shows shouldn't be criticized for where they screw up, but I wish people would be more charitable towards shows that get things 98% right if they stumble at the finish line.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Quote is not edit.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 28, 2018

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

I wanted a new season, but still, gently caress. YES.

I like the pose here too. Miyamori is PISSED and she is here to collect your key frames

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a movie could be a lead-in to a second season if it does well

and i enjoy the probable metagag of a shirobako movie about them making a girls' aerial squad or a exodus movie. or heck maybe they'll try making an original movie

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Agronox posted:

I like the pose here too. Miyamori is PISSED and she is here to collect your key frames

Miyamori is posing like a giant robot pilot but instead of operating a giant robot she's operating an anime production.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Agronox posted:

Miyamori knows the value of hard work and guts.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I need to get back into Shirobako. It's super good but I just kinda... stopped?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

The confirmed returning staff includes director Tsutomu Mizushima, animation studio P.A. Works, scriptwriter Michiko Yokote, character designer Ponkan8, animation character designer Kanami Sekiguchi, and production company Infinite. The staff at the event said that the "story will continue" in the film.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
kurama still hot

hiei and kurama are prep/goth solidarity

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

StandardVC10 posted:

Miyamori is posing like a giant robot pilot but instead of operating a giant robot she's operating an anime production.

How did I miss the Gainax pose!!

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

StandardVC10 posted:

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

:bisonyes:

That pose makes this music pop into my head instantly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5XaLsSfoWg&t=8s

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I hope the Shirobako movie is about them doing a recap film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I'M SO PUMPED

• Locked thread