Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Quoted the wrong post, weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Congrats, Arizona and Hawaii

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Phlegmish posted:

Congrats, Arizona and Hawaii

*squints* and rhode island looks like

also, new york state saved by its least populous county, with appx. 5k residents. tho i dont know if new york borough/county, the island of manhattan itself, would appear on this map at this scale

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Makes me proud that my county comes up blue on this map. :911:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Was not expecting California to be that grey.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Golbez posted:

Makes me proud that my county comes up blue on this map. :911:

Irritates me that mine comes up grey, knowing it would otherwise be blue.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Oklahoma-North Dakota corridor confirmed worst states once agian

Also is Fairbanks notoriously liberal or is that a fluke?

E: oh even weirder, Fairbanks is grey. The blue Alaska country is presumably like three people then.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Very curious how doing that apparently flips Maine from Clinton to Trump somehow

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
maine splits its electoral vote and the map... didn't really know how to deal with that, I guess.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

In Nevada we can vote for Nobody. None of These is an option on the ballot. Not many people actually vote it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

reignonyourparade posted:

maine splits its electoral vote and the map... didn't really know how to deal with that, I guess.

But it does, you can see Maine's individual districts on the small map. Nebraska too.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Bloodnose posted:

In Nevada we can vote for Nobody. None of These is an option on the ballot. Not many people actually vote it.

I imagine those motivated to vote Nobody are more motivated to just not waste time voting

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I imagine those motivated to vote Nobody are more motivated to just not waste time voting

There have been times where None Of The Above got the most votes there, although the person with the most votes gets to still win the office in question. Pretty humiliating way to win though.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

That's dumb. They should just have a new race where no one who ran the first time is allowed to run again.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:ssh: it's almost as if the whole american system is dumb :ssh:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

More like DUMBocracy

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lycus posted:

Was not expecting California to be that grey.

Why would you vote for president in California?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

In the last Dutch national elections, one of the new parties you could vote for was the "party for the non-voters". Their sole party promise was that if elected, they'd abstain on every single vote in parliament.

Surprisingly, no-one voted for them.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Carbon dioxide posted:

In the last Dutch national elections, one of the new parties you could vote for was the "party for the non-voters". Their sole party promise was that if elected, they'd abstain on every single vote in parliament.

Surprisingly, no-one voted for them.

It's because almost no one actually wants that except for anarcho-capitalists.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Lycus posted:

It's because almost no one actually wants that except for anarcho-capitalists.

There were also strong suspicions that the people running that party were just hoping to get a parliament salary without doing any work, or they did have another agenda entirely.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Arglebargle III posted:

Because there are local races and issues on the ballot?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Platystemon posted:

Because there are local races and issues on the ballot?

Even though it's silly, my experience is that people disenfranchised at the presidential level who buy into "both parties are identical and bad" think the same of all levels, even though affecting change locally is very possible.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Isn't there that Northern Irish nationalist party that gets bunch of seats in British parliament in every election but refuses to participate?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sinn Féin. They still do their local constituency jobs, they just don't do the bit that requires swearing an oath to the Queen, so can't take their seats.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Guavanaut posted:

Sinn Féin. They still do their local constituency jobs, they just don't do the bit that requires swearing an oath to the Queen, so can't take their seats.

My favourite thing about Sinn Fein is that when Gerry Adams wanted to run for the Dail Eirann, he decided to resign as an MP. However, the only way MPs can "resign" is by taking an office under profit of the Crown. So when he sent a letter to the Chancellor of the Exchequer saying "I resign", they appointed him to a Crown office without his consent.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Same reason people in Massachusetts actually turned out to vote for president, I'd guess. Well, all of Massachusetts except for three counties with large poor post-industrial urban areas. No reason to think about that too deeply though, I'm sure.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

hey, a food map:

https://twitter.com/simongerman600/status/989942784915329024

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Holy crap, Switzerland.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

you think that's bad, take a peek at Cyprus.

e: wait, no, still smaller in total numbers than Switzerland. My mistake.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I wonder how many more "unknown" billionaires could be added to the list. Lukashenko's personal wealth in Belarus has been estimated by American diplomats at 9 billion dollars back in 2010 and probably only grew from there, for example, and I'm guessing that especially in Russia there are quite some more personal friends of Putin who have the odd billion lying around.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Lycus posted:

Holy crap, Switzerland.

I mean, Switzerland has honed a reputation for rich people to move and be able to live with low taxes and anonymously (still in fabulous luxury, but without like paparazzi and poo poo following you for tabloid news) for what, like 70 years? I mean half these billionaires with citizenship elsewhere still park a ton of their money and business in Switzerland, like Tetra Pak or the 5000 multinationals headquartered in Zug.

double nine posted:

you think that's bad, take a peek at Cyprus.

e: wait, no, still smaller in total numbers than Switzerland. My mistake.

Plus Cyprus is kind of misleading, since 4 of the 7 billionaires are the same (the EasyJet family). Those lists are all kind of weird since they usually include a bunch of different family members for the same business, and since the overall numbers are so small this skews stuff a lot. Like, the Sultan of Brunei could make his country have the highest density of billionaires in the world by a mile by just nominally giving all his children $1bn shares in the state oil company, like the IKEA family did and, apparently, the H&M and Tetra Pak family. (Jesus, Tetra Pak is worth like $50bn?)

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Found some interesting maps when checking out gun laws/deaths on the internet and though I'd share some of them here.

From this site

From this site

From this site with clickable version of the map

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Kamrat posted:

Found some interesting maps when checking out gun laws/deaths on the internet and though I'd share some of them here.

From this site

From this site

From this site with clickable version of the map

Ah yes, the well known mountainous Lesotho city of oceanic Cape Town.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Those maps, especially the first one of the world map, make it seem very strongly as if there is zero correlation between gun laws and gun deaths. Maybe it is true and it's just missing the cofactors you normally see, like gun ownership / gun prevalence? Which seems an important and relevant piece of missing data.

On the third chart, I was surprised that Maryland was not on the top 10 and looked into it, and broadly the third graph has a lot of discrepancies with Wikipedia's listed stats ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States_by_state ) although that does not include gun suicides, and the source is not properly cited so maybe it's not just gun deaths in that table.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

chestnut santabag posted:

Ah yes, the well known mountainous Lesotho city of oceanic Cape Town.

The misleadingly named Cape Town, which is not on a cape or even near the sea

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

What the hell makes them think Netherlands, Belgium and France only have 'moderate' gun laws?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

What the hell makes them think Netherlands, Belgium and France only have 'moderate' gun laws?

Yeah, and they have Croatia marked as “lenient”. You get extensively checked here, your family and neighbors are interviewed and asked if they oppose your gun purchase, your medical records and army service are reviewed.

Plus, you can never get a license to carry if you’re not law enforcement. You can only own the gun and transport it to the shooting range/hunting grounds packed in a secured bag. I think that the map might be bad, even politically-loaded.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Carbon dioxide posted:

Are you saying you think they should be lenient or strict? I don't know about the other two countries but France's gun laws aren't exactly super strict from a non-American perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Yeah, and they have Croatia marked as “lenient”. You get extensively checked here, your family and neighbors are interviewed and asked if they oppose your gun purchase, your medical records and army service are reviewed.

Plus, you can never get a license to carry if you’re not law enforcement. You can only own the gun and transport it to the shooting range/hunting grounds packed in a secured bag. I think that the map might be bad, even politically-loaded.

Croatia is marked down as moderate, same as France and Britain.

Are Canada's gun laws stricter than those in Scandinavia (I'm thinking Norway perhaps more specifically where getting a gun is pretty easy, provided you are a licensed hunter or you are part of a marksman's club or something like that, or you are a farmer)? I would have thought they would be at the same level or more lenient, given that gun ownership rates are pretty comparable.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 28, 2018