Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

KillHour posted:

I can't believe we live in a timeline where the "Free medication coupons!" app is legit and NOT using it is the scam.

if it isn't a scam even the $15/mo I pay for my pills is a massive ripoff, coupon for $13/3 months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Sounds like a magic window into what healthcare costs could be like if our entire medical insurance industry wasn't a scam.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Republicans posted:

Sounds like a magic window into what healthcare costs could be like if our entire medical insurance industry wasn't a scam.

Sort of. Deals like these involve the drug companies scamming the insurance companies, who in turn scam the consumers. Who knows what the billed costs and actual payouts would be under, say, Medicare For Everyone. Now, if there were a way to move to non-profit pharmaceutical firms ...

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Imagine the fear that a non-profit generic pharma company would generate if they started to make biologics.

Crashrat
Apr 2, 2012
Anyone mind we if circle back around to the hazy world of EMRs?

I recently started volunteering with a free medical clinic. We have a LOT of people in my area that are going without insurance and our clinic doesn't charge or bill anyone for services. Everyone donates their time, most labs are done for free and written off by the company, you get the idea. It's not a huge operation, but we go through a number of patients.

As some may know the EMR Practice Fusion, which was supposed to be an always-free but ad-supported EMR, was sold to Allscripts and is now going to start charging $100 per provider to keep the service. They're not offering anything for free even for a non-profit "we don't bill anyone" clinic like the one I volunteer at. The clinic cannot afford this so we have to change EMRs. I'm the only technically inclined person in the entire place so they're looking at me for guidance.

AFAIK neither EPIC nor Cerner has any sort of offering of free EMR access for non-profits.

So that just leaves us with two options:

1. We try to convince athenahealth - via their athenaGives program - to give us access to athenahealth's EMR. I have absolutely no experience with athenahealth. I am also afraid that we're possibly going to end up stuck right where we are now if athenahealth ever ends this program...with our data locked into a proprietary system.

2. We switch to something open-source like OpenEMR and run it on AWS. I know enough to get this up and running, but OpenEMR is not anywhere close to as seamless and polished as Practice Fusion was.

The free clinic is basically running on inertia and there's a lot of things that have to be improved. For example the lab results aren't being entered as structued data or being retrieved electronically. The lab just faxes over the results and the staff scans them and uploads them to the patient's history. So a provider can't just look at a cholesterol history and track it over time, but rather has to load each uploaded PDF to view it and then move to the next one. It's all because no one working there really has any training on EMR, which is something I'd have to do.

To that end I think the athenahealth solution would be better. There's definitely something to be said about the OpenEMR system, but I'm afraid the lack of polish will just cause headaches. The fact that OpenEMR's wiki still reads like it was written for IT people, rather than for staff, just makes me more leery.

Advice?

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I can speak with certainty about Epic - (I'm simplifying here) they only sell to mid-size and large-hospitals, with some notable exceptions.

That doesn't mean that you can't use Epic. It means you'll have to talk to an area hospital that's on Epic to see if you can partner with them under the "Community Connect" program.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Crashrat posted:

To that end I think the athenahealth solution would be better. There's definitely something to be said about the OpenEMR system, but I'm afraid the lack of polish will just cause headaches. The fact that OpenEMR's wiki still reads like it was written for IT people, rather than for staff, just makes me more leery.

If you're not actually billing anyone and you need to train the staff to use the EMR system in their workflow anyway then I don't really see why OpenEMR wouldn't work. I don't have any personal experience with it but, uh...all EMR systems are varying levels of lovely.

I have doubts that a bunch of open source developers could keep up with HHS's insanity though, so if you're billing Medicare you'd likely run into problems with MIPS next year.

Crashrat
Apr 2, 2012

The Phlegmatist posted:

If you're not actually billing anyone and you need to train the staff to use the EMR system in their workflow anyway then I don't really see why OpenEMR wouldn't work. I don't have any personal experience with it but, uh...all EMR systems are varying levels of lovely.

I have doubts that a bunch of open source developers could keep up with HHS's insanity though, so if you're billing Medicare you'd likely run into problems with MIPS next year.

The clinic doesn't bill anyone whatsoever - the lack of it makes us not have to keep up with HHS or HIPAA.

The hard part is transitioning to OpenEMR. Almost ALL of their lab records are on paper that were uploaded as PDFs to Practice Fusion. Nothing was entered as structured data or pulled electronically. I have absolutely no idea how to pull that from Practice Fusion in any way except manually one-by-one.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Crashrat posted:

The hard part is transitioning to OpenEMR. Almost ALL of their lab records are on paper that were uploaded as PDFs to Practice Fusion. Nothing was entered as structured data or pulled electronically. I have absolutely no idea how to pull that from Practice Fusion in any way except manually one-by-one.

Sounds like a job for unpaid interns

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

svenkatesh posted:

I can speak with certainty about Epic - (I'm simplifying here) they only sell to mid-size and large-hospitals, with some notable exceptions.

That doesn't mean that you can't use Epic. It means you'll have to talk to an area hospital that's on Epic to see if you can partner with them under the "Community Connect" program.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

Do this. I've worked for a few emr vendors and epic is by far the least bad. There's gotta be at least one local hospital with an outreach program that would community connect you in.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
https://www.freep.com/story/opinion/columnists/nancy-kaffer/2018/05/01/medicaid-work-requirements-gop/569760002/

quote:

Because although HB 897 threatens to end Medicaid benefits for hundreds of thousands living elsewhere in the state, it includes exemptions for people who live in counties with an unemployment rate of more than 8.5%, like the ones Schmidt represents.

Live in Detroit? You're out of luck.

The city's unemployment rate is higher than 8.5%, but the unemployment rate in surrounding Wayne County is just 5.5% — meaning Detroiters living in poverty, with a dysfunctional transit system that makes it harder to reach good-paying jobs, won't qualify for that exemption. The same is true in Flint and the state's other struggling cities.

Get that? Rural residents of up-north counties with high unemployment are protected; urban Michiganders who live in high-unemployment cities in more prosperous counties are left to twist.

The bill's Senate sponsors admit that this proposal isn't about saving money; in fact, it'll cost about $30 million a year to administer the program.

It's pitched, instead, as a firm-but-gentle hand to those who've become dependent on the teat of government dependency. In the benevolent scenario articulated to Lansing news service Gongwer by GOP lawmakers like Shirkey and Senate Majority Leader Arlan Meekhof (R-West Olive), it's a push toward the path of self-sufficiency, and insurance that the state has the resources to help those who really need it.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
EMR Talk:

EClinicalWorks can suck my cock. I used to post endlessly about that poo poo of an EMR here which is basically Windows 3.1 for medical records. That company is a borderline scam directly out of India and I would not be surprised at all if they siphoned patient's personal info out during tech support remote desktop connection calls. We would occasionally have tech savvy patients call in and complain about how they started to receive mass scam calls from Indian call centers like the day after they saw us for an appointment and would ask us to check our network for any shady poo poo leaking out their personal data. Our IT people never found anything but these complaints would just so happen to also correspond to just around the time plus or minus a day when one of the EclinicalWorks techs had to remote in on our system to fix something.

The physician retired at the last place I worked at but he's still required by law to keep records for 7-10 years. They tried to charge him something insane like $7000 to export all patient data to a couple hard drives and they couldn't come up with a decent response when he asked them to send over a proposed itemization of parts and "labor".

Luckily we did some digging and randomly found out that they went to court with the state of New Hampshire or something and I guess the case got kicked up a few levels. I really don't remember or know the specific details and a lot of this could be hyperbole, but apparently they got caught trying to pull similar poo poo on some hospital system and individual providers in that state. I think they were claiming that copying patient info from their own loving servers, converting it to some kind of readable format, and pasting it onto hard drives or uploading it to a competitor's cloud server was "really really hard". They got hosed really really hard and came to some agreement with the state and federal Inspector General of some investigatory department (I have no idea how this legal poo poo works) where they had to provide any/all providers free export of patient data for either storage or export to a different EMR minus physical hard drive costs in return for no admission of guilt. Any violations of that would incur something like a $15000 fine PER DAY if they didn't get to work within 48 hours. Well, we put in a request 4 loving months ago at that point and had been following up with them via emails getting bounced around until it hit some idiot that tried to scam us.

The practice manager found the contact info for the OIG and lawyers cited within that settlement and just started making some random calls. Apparently she ended up on some crazy 8 way conference call with some entire state or federal legal team that was out for loving blood. The next day she got a call from some Eclinical Works Executive apologizing and said he would only charge us like $250 for hard drives (ahahaha). We were kinda cool with that, and she called the OIG/govt. people back to let them know what EClinical Works offered us and their response was something along the lines of:

"Oh gently caress no, their legal department told US DIRECTLY they would waive any/all fees for you guys after that colossal breach of settlement. Thanks for letting us know about this/please send us over any/all copies of correspondence with them that you haven't already forwarded to us as it is now skull loving time."

Not sure what the total final end outcome all of that poo poo was but we did get all patient records backed up on physical hard drives for free and I think the physician got some kind of refund on whatever he paid them a year in licensing and cloud storage.

I'd like to think that we cost EClinicalWorks a few million in contract violations and legal team fees with that clusterfuck.

Of course they also self-pad review sites with super positive ratings but most legitimate reviews all read something like this:

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/emr-software/eclinicalworks.html

EDIT:

Just read this lovely review on that link:

quote:

I quit their system and closed my office. Even though the data is owned by you, they will give the data free, but you can't read it at all. When you ask them how to decode the files under their format, they said it is up to your own IT people to figure it out. If you want them to give you PDF format, they want $5000 per provider to get your data/charts in readable format and charge you $500 for the hard drive that is only worth $70-80 (2TB Western Digital drive). You had to choose a closing date.

lmao

Avalanche fucked around with this message at 10:27 on May 6, 2018

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

jit bull transpile posted:

Do this. I've worked for a few emr vendors and epic is by far the least bad. There's gotta be at least one local hospital with an outreach program that would community connect you in.
Epic has some great features, but as I suppose should be expected it is a system designed first to maximize billing, and second (or third, or fourth) to provide an easily-readable medical narrative. It's a shame, because a clean interface that approximated the presentation of a typical inpatient chart would be amaaazing when coupled with the capacity to see notes fro other hospital systems in Care Everywhere. The latter has saved me enormous amount of energy with malingerers and doc-shoppers, and in and of itself is probably worth the three weeks of rollout that made me want to quit my job and do non-clinical work somewhere instead.

Avalanche posted:

EClinicalWorks can suck my cock.
That's loving crazy. I'll have to keep this post in mind; sooner or later someone on the EM Docs Facebook group will probably have to deal with them and knowing that there's already been a huge settlement on the issue will help them out.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

More proof that the "bending of the cost curve" is due to high deductibles that result in people deferring diagnosis & treatment
:

quote:

High-deductible plans have become commonplace, a deterrent used by companies to lower health care costs by discouraging unnecessary tests or treatments. Evidence for that link has mounted since the Great Recession 10 years ago, when deductibles began to soar: People increasingly deferred medical care, putting off elective surgeries and doctors’ visits. National health care spending slowed as a result.

But a recent study of women with insurance plans that carried deductibles of at least $1,000 underscores the danger to consumers required to shoulder a greater share of those costs.

Women who had just learned they had breast cancer were more likely to delay getting care if their deductibles were high, the study showed. A review of several years of medical claims exposed a pattern: Women confronting such immediate expenses put off getting diagnostic imaging and biopsies, postponing treatment.

And they delayed beginning chemotherapy by an average of seven months, said Dr. J. Frank Wharam, a Harvard researcher and one of the authors of the study, published earlier this year in the Journal of Clinical Oncology.

“Slight delays added up to long delays,” Dr. Wharam said.

While the study did not look at how the women fared after treatment, cancer doctors warn that even short gaps between diagnosis and treatment can affect the outcome. Survival rates are higher for patients with some cancers if they are treated early.

“What we see here is an unintended consequence of sharing costs,” said Dr. Ethan Basch, the director of cancer outcomes research at UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, who was not involved in the study.

"unintended," lol. The insurance industry had wanted high deductibles for forever before it was given the chance to write them into the ACA.

quote:

About half of all covered workers in the United States are now enrolled in plans with a deductible of at least $1,000, and many must pay several thousand dollars in medical bills before their plans even start to cover their care. About 11 percent of covered workers have a deductible of at least $3,000, according to a survey of employer benefits by the Kaiser Family Foundation. Employers are increasingly offering these plans — and more frequently giving their workers no other option.

While high-deductible plans are meant to encourage people to think twice about whether a test or treatment is necessary and if it can be done at a lower price, “it’s also frankly to impede their use of these services,” said Dr. Peter Bach, the director of the Center for Health Policy and Outcomes at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.

The plans are succeeding in reducing the use of care. “The question is, at what cost?” Dr. Bach said.
High-deductible plans pose a problem, say researchers who have studied them, because patients do not always distinguish between the care they should get and what they can do without.

Two years ago, when Rochelle Ness was 37, with three children under 6 years old, she learned she had breast cancer. The policy she had through her husband’s job had a deductible of $2,250 and required she pay a total of $11,500 toward her yearly medical bills.

She did not know how she would come up with the money, but having lost two family members to breast cancer, she did not consider delaying treatment. “That was scarier to me,” she said.

Now saddled with medical debt, Ms. Ness is also fighting to get her insurer to pay for the six Neulasta injections needed to help prevent infections during chemotherapy.

Her husband’s employer did not offer a savings account to accompany the high-deductible plan, and they still owe about $25,000. “We have maxed out our credit cards trying to pay medical expenses,” she said.

Ms. Ness, who received financial assistance from the Samfund, said she is now trying to come up with the money for additional treatments, including physical therapy and a hearing aid for the hearing loss resulting from chemotherapy.

Living paycheck to paycheck, the family is struggling to find any extra money to pay for their children to go camping or join a sports team.

“We were able to manage our medical bills back then,” she said. “It’s nearly impossible right now.”

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

More proof that the "bending of the cost curve" is due to high deductibles that result in people deferring diagnosis & treatment
:

"unintended," lol. The insurance industry had wanted high deductibles for forever before it was given the chance to write them into the ACA.

gently caress....

I wonder how much of a self-fulfilling prophecy high deductible plans are in terms of driving up expenses for insurers. Doesn't it make more financial sense to keep people healthy and alive for as long as you possibly can? Yes, it means paying out for office visits, imaging studies, labs, lower end surgical procedures/care, and ER visits but that also means a lowered frequency of having to pay out for catastrophic health issues resulting from untreated conditions, extremely lengthy hospitalizations, extremely complex surgeries, and intense end of life care down the road.

Given 100 people wanting to go to the ER in the middle of the night for an abscessed tooth, which scenario is cheaper for the insurer?

100 people want to go in, all 100 go in, all 100 are treated with antibiotics, and discharged as outpatients.

or

100 people want to go in but only 2 go in due to their high deductible, and the other 98 just try to ride it out. Of the 98, 97 of them spontaneously recover however 1 person ends up with extremely severe sepsis resulting in multiple organ failure, coma, and some permanent brain damage+overall dehabilitation requiring round the clock nursing care and treatment in ICU including: endless amounts of imaging/diagnostic studies, labs, meds, and multiple visits by multiple hospital specialists over a 2-4 week period including but not limited to (pulmonary, cardiology, nephrology, clinical pharmacist, neurology, gastro, infectious disease, PT, OT, dietary, speech, RT, social work, psych,). This isn't even considering surgical procedures or transplants that might potentially be required. Then assuming the person lives, there could be a 1-2 month skilled rehab stay still requiring a good chunk of the above people. Then, there's outpatient visits from more specialists probably for a lifetime now to address whatever was permanently hosed by the initial infection and resulting sepsis+spiral downward. Then, there will also be lifelong costs for probably tons of medications, occupational aids (walkers, specialty beds, specialty chairs, specialty writing instruments, specialty [insert here]), and continued lifelong routine follow-ups outpatient with multiple medical specialists. Now, the patient is so magically fragile that the odds of re-hospitalization and the part or the whole of the above cycle repeating itself in a 5 year time period is quite high.

And there's probably tons of other poo poo I'm not even thinking about like hospital administration/billing/coding costs, equipment costs, food costs, transportation, specialty pharmacy, home health aids, etc.

In terms of pure financial gain, wouldn't the insurer want to avoid scenario 2 as much as possible and just go ahead and invest in lowering that frequency of occurence by paying out for more lower level care? It seems like most insurance companies are literally gambling on people to either never ever get sick, spontaneously recover 100% of the time if they do get sick, or move between insurance companies so often that they are banking on the patient being someone else's problem when something bad eventually does happen. I guess there's also the option of crippling regulation in this country so hard that rules are not enforced and they can just magically "not pay".

And I'm guessing hampered regulation is the root of the problem as all the poo poo I typed above probably isn't even a consideration when no one is getting thrown in jail or financially obliterated by breaking their contract with the patient. Maybe a good incentive to get things working again is to make the civil penalties for contract violations in matters of life and health high as gently caress but I can see that getting exploited by the other side to an insane end where it's no longer profitable to remain in business when every patient is suing you.

Yea gently caress it. Universal Health Care now.

Also, all regulatory law penalties need to be tied to inflation

Avalanche fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 7, 2018

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dental insurance doesn’t pay for the sepsis so win win for them!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The Insurance Industry has been pulling this sort of poo poo a while. This segment from The Awful Truth shows the lengths it took to get an insurance company to pay for a transplant.

This was filmed at the end of Clinton's second term.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXkpxV7mnqY

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

There's a lot to digest here but first off, those 100 people should go to an urgent care not an ER. Insurance companies are now covering ER visits less and less because ER visits are one the most expensive things someone can do. The average ER cost, last I checked, was around $1400 and only about 30% of ER admissions are actual emergencies. Don't go to the ER unless it's an absolute emergency, like your bleeding out or are having a heart attack.

And never EVER go to one of those freestanding emergency rooms unless you have no other option.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

RisqueBarber posted:

Don't go to the ER unless it's an absolute emergency, like your bleeding out or are having a heart attack.

Lay people are not qualified to make that determination and if they call someone educated like say a nurse's line for liability reasons they will almost always so to go to the ER.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

Lay people are not qualified to make that determination and if they call someone educated like say a nurse's line for liability reasons they will almost always so to go to the ER.

That's why I bring up ER visits in all of my enrollment meetings.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

hobbesmaster posted:

Yeah, I can think of several times with my wife where we went to urgent Care or her primary doctors walk-in hours and were told nope, get to the ER (and promptly had to fork over $500 which they demanded we pay while there) . Let alone urgent cares having very limited hours.

The real answer to ER issues is to increase the number of ER locations and vastly increase the number of doctors but doing that would hurt their precious wages so we can't have that

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I could have multiple gunshot wounds and I'd drag my bloody carcass to an urgent care before risking the expense of the ER. You know, in case it wasn't actually that bad.

ERs desperately need reform

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Azhais posted:

I could have multiple gunshot wounds and I'd drag my bloody carcass to an urgent care before risking the expense of the ER. You know, in case it wasn't actually that bad.

ERs desperately need reform

Uh, they’d just register you and call 911.

Then you’d have two $500 bills. And a 1500$ ambulance bill.

Signed,
A 911 Medic Who Spends His Days Taking Minor Complaints From Urgent Care Exam Rooms To Emergency Rooms.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Avalanche posted:

I wonder how much of a self-fulfilling prophecy high deductible plans are in terms of driving up expenses for insurers. Doesn't it make more financial sense to keep people healthy and alive for as long as you possibly can?

Not when the majority of the savings generated by keeping people healthy are realized by Medicare, and not the insurer since everyone switches to Medicare at 65.

Not saying that makes it okay, that's just the reality if the current situation.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
For large group employer plans the insurer is actually your company and aetna etc. are just the people who handle the paperwork

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Peven Stan posted:

For large group employer plans the insurer is actually your company and aetna etc. are just the people who handle the paperwork

This is probably true for any employer with over 150 employees. Self-funded plans typically cost less and allow more customization from the employer.

RisqueBarber fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 7, 2018

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Double post

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Reik posted:

Not when the majority of the savings generated by keeping people healthy are realized by Medicare, and not the insurer since everyone switches to Medicare at 65.

Not saying that makes it okay, that's just the reality if the current situation.

Not to mention any competitive insurance market is going to have individuals and employers switching around to different insurers pretty often.

Preventive care is less about aiding the insured in changing lifestyle habits and more about making sure they stay the hell away from the ED until they're somebody else's problem. I think that's part of the reason why Type II Diabetes care in the US is so messed up.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

RisqueBarber posted:

This is probably true for any employer with over 150 employees. Self-funded plans typically cost less and allow more customization from the employer.

Right, so blaming aetna for pushing a HDHP would be somewhat disingenuous. They offer a product that executives at your employer want to cut costs. They could also offer an indemnity plan to everyone where you file claims and the company pays 100% of those claims too, but that’s usually reserved for top executives and not the peasantry.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

RisqueBarber posted:

There's a lot to digest here but first off, those 100 people should go to an urgent care not an ER.

Lay people should never have to make a determination about whether something is or is not an emergency. Doctors gripe constantly about people with colds showing up who should have seen their PCPs, blah blah blah, but then the next post down is a de-identified ECG that cause d a cath lab activation and "This person came in for a sore throat."

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Lay people should never have to make a determination about whether something is or is not an emergency. Doctors gripe constantly about people with colds showing up who should have seen their PCPs, blah blah blah, but then the next post down is a de-identified ECG that cause d a cath lab activation and "This person came in for a sore throat."

I was just stating the urgent care info as an education point. Patients should be charged based on what services they receive, not where they go for said services.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

RisqueBarber posted:

I was just stating the urgent care info as an education point. Patients should be charged based on what services they receive, not where they go for said services.

The costs for the services they receive should be paid for collectively by society, and those costs managed collectively as well.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

RisqueBarber posted:

Yes.

kaynorr posted:

The costs for the services they receive should be paid for collectively by society, and those costs managed collectively as well.
gently caress yes.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Saying how the system should be changed and saying what people should do today in their own best interest, because an Urgent Care visit will cost the policyholder significantly less as well, are two very different things.

Yes, it's insane that someone with a non-emergency issue gets tagged with the same ER facility charge as the person that has an emergency issue, but until we get that fixed people should go to an Urgent Care if one is nearby and open if they don't believe their life is in danger. If it turns out your issue is actually more serious, you'll probably actually see a doctor faster than if you went to the ER, and when the doctor realizes you are in danger, they can get you on an ambulance to the ER where you should receive appropriately prioritized treatment.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Urgent Cares have a nasty habit of turning away medicaid patients, who then clog up the ER system with sniffles and troubles. I once went to a large teaching hospital’s ER after a head wound and the waiting room was full of people on a Saturday night. After I was admitted the guy on the gourney next to mine had been there for 48 hours without being seen for his complaint. They worked hard to prioritize the people with real problems like gunshot wounds first and the commercial insurance holders after that. Medicaid/uninsured got shafted.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Peven Stan posted:

Urgent Cares have a nasty habit of turning away medicaid patients, who then clog up the ER system with sniffles and troubles. I once went to a large teaching hospital’s ER after a head wound and the waiting room was full of people on a Saturday night. After I was admitted the guy on the gourney next to mine had been there for 48 hours without being seen for his complaint. They worked hard to prioritize the people with real problems like gunshot wounds first and the commercial insurance holders after that. Medicaid/uninsured got shafted.

The bolded is absolutely correct. Urgent care facilities are not subject to EMTALA regs (ie they are not required to evaluate you if you are uninsured).

It’s best to think of urgent care as a walk-in general practitioner. Sadly they go out of their way to market themselves as an ED alternative—even using similar signage.

To your second part, ERs do not shaft Medicaid or uninsured patients during triage. They are required to treat everyone the same during that process. The aforementioned emtala requires them to evaluate and treat anyone for their life threatening conditions. Insurance does not create preference over condition. And uninsured chest pain will be seen before an insured toe injury.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 7, 2018

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Reik posted:

Saying how the system should be changed and saying what people should do today in their own best interest, because an Urgent Care visit will cost the policyholder significantly less as well, are two very different things.

Yes, it's insane that someone with a non-emergency issue gets tagged with the same ER facility charge as the person that has an emergency issue, but until we get that fixed people should go to an Urgent Care if one is nearby and open if they don't believe their life is in danger. If it turns out your issue is actually more serious, you'll probably actually see a doctor faster than if you went to the ER, and when the doctor realizes you are in danger, they can get you on an ambulance to the ER where you should receive appropriately prioritized treatment.

Except then you'll have to pay for the ambulance, too, and being referred by an urgent care isn't a guarantee that the insurance will agree that it was really an emergency. The consideration becomes "do I pay the ER disincentive fee, or do I hope that I'm only paying the urgent care copay and not urgent care + ambulance ride + ER disincentive anyway?" and if someone's pretty sure that they're not actively dying, they might just try to tough it out, which is not always the best choice. (It also requires the urgent care doc to actually recognize that this particular sore throat means "imminent doom" not "buy some cough syrup and go to bed", when by definition they aren't going to see imminent doom as often as someone who actually works in the ER...)

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

The other solution here is to lower or eliminate liability for providers who, upon having vague, flu-like symptoms described to them, suggest that the patient wait and see their primary care provider. That means the "came in for a sore throat and wound up in the cath lab" patients are going to die, but I think it's fine to ask the question of whether it's worth it to try to get every patient who might have something wrong to be seen by the ER in order to chase those unlikely outcomes.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Dead Reckoning posted:

The other solution here is to lower or eliminate liability for providers who, upon having vague, flu-like symptoms described to them, suggest that the patient wait and see their primary care provider. That means the "came in for a sore throat and wound up in the cath lab" patients are going to die, but I think it's fine to ask the question of whether it's worth it to try to get every patient who might have something wrong to be seen by the ER in order to chase those unlikely outcomes.

You're not going to get doctors doing that because it's not particularly ethical to tell someone to go home when you're unconvinced that it's safe for them to do so. ER triage people are less motivated by liability and more motivated by trying to keep people from dying.

When someone comes in from a nursing home with vague symptoms (i.e. elevated heartrate/temperature/respiration), the current state-of-the-art care is to order labs, then recheck every hour or so until they either seem stable or improving and you can send them home or they're declining and you send them to the ICU and start treating them for sepsis. If you start discharging all those people immediately, you kill a lot (>100K/year) of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I'm not talking about not treating people, especially high risk populations, I'm talking about taking steps to limit defensive medicine. And I'm not even convinced it's possible without, as you say, killing a bunch of people who might otherwise have been saved. I just think it's not productive to complain about the cost and over use and degradation of care in EMS/EDs without being willing to discuss ways of increasing supply (of an admittedly very expensive resource) or decreasing patient loads, which means diverting or turning people away in no uncertain terms. I think everyone in the business knows that there are people who end up at the ED who shouldn't be there, but the question is how we identify those cases in advance and divert them. But you can't even have that conversation if your going in position is, "we're going to do everything we can to save everyone, irrespective of cost or consequence, for fear of someone dying we could have saved."