Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Phobeste posted:

one fewer bit, much leaner

i'm working with a client who needs data sent to them in a .csv file with:

1. fixed length fields
2. decimals stripped out
3. all numbers left padded to X length with zeros
4. if the number is positive, the last number (hundredths position), it's one of nine ascii characters to represent that number and denote a positive number (ex. }), if the number is negative, it's a different set of ascii characters

legacy systems suck loving dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

quote:

California man Eric Lundgren, an electronic waste entrepreneur who produced tens of thousands of Windows restore disks intended to extend the lifespan of aging computers, lost a federal appeals court case in Miami after it ruled "he had infringed Microsoft's products to the tune of $700,000," the Washington Post reported on Tuesday. Per the Post, the appeals court ruled Lundgren's original sentence of 15 months in prison and a $50,000 fine would stay, despite the software being freely available online and only compatible with valid Windows licenses: "The appeals court upheld a federal district judge's ruling that the disks made by Eric Lundgren to restore Microsoft operating systems had a value of $25 apiece, even though they could be downloaded free and could be used only on computers with a valid Microsoft license. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit initially granted Lundgren an emergency stay of his prison sentence, shortly before he was to surrender, but then affirmed his original 15-month sentence and $50,000 fine without hearing oral argument in a ruling issued April 11." All told, the court valued 28,000 restore disks he produced at $700,000, despite testimony from software expert Glenn Weadock that they were worth essentially zero.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol jesus

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

msoft looking out for their oems :unsmith:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
dont copy that floppy

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
15 months in prison for that seems ridiculously punitive.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

remember when the riaa claimed damages against someone that amounted to more than the accumulated capital in the entire world?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Fame Douglas posted:

15 months in prison for that seems ridiculously punitive.

yeah, seems like they're just going out of their way to reprimand someone for interfering in matters where people might have otherwise bought a new pc and gotten microsoft more money

apparently the main issue was that his restore discs looked too authentic and professional, and used copyrighted logos like for windows. apparently he'd have been fine with dvd-r's written on in sharpie

univbee fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 25, 2018

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Microsoft is cool again

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Ahh, the return of the turn of the millennium evil mikkkro$oft

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Microsoft azure fun and games: if you don’t have access rights to create vms or compute instances but do have access to azure data bricks it will do fun stuff like

create a resource group for you (even though you can’t create resource groups normally). you also can’t view this new resource group since you don’t have the necessary permissions :v:

populate said group with vms also even you normally can’t create them in the data brick parent resource group

all to the low low tune of $1.5 (per minute if not in use)

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

Microsoft azure fun and games: if you don’t have access rights to create vms or compute instances but do have access to azure data bricks it will do fun stuff like

create a resource group for you (even though you can’t create resource groups normally). you also can’t view this new resource group since you don’t have the necessary permissions :v:

populate said group with vms also even you normally can’t create them in the data brick parent resource group

all to the low low tune of $1.5 (per minute if not in use)

i recently found out much to my confusion that IAM roles which delegate contributor for specific components (e.g. Data Factory) do not delegate permissions to register the required resource provider. so if you delegate these kinda perms someone with the subscription-level Contributor role needs to register the providers first otherwise your users cant do poo poo. kinda obtuse imo

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/m8urnett/status/989524199898136579

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
3 days in I stopped postponing my required reboot, and jesus wept

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
the spring creators update is now the April 2018 Update and should get pushed out on monday https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/04/27/make-the-most-of-your-time-with-the-new-windows-10-update/

they would've rolled it out on patch tuesday but there were problems with it so lol if you install it right away on monday

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

cool timing michaelsoft

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol @ beta testing for MS. wait that storm out i say

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Last Chance posted:

lol @ beta testing for MS. wait that storm out i say

pro tip: avoid the storm completely by using a unix on the desktop instead

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Krankenstyle posted:

pro tip: avoid the storm completely by using a unix on the desktop instead

but video games

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Dongslayer. posted:

but video games

you have friends and/or its not that important

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
People should only invite others to theire houses for important and serious matters and not for satanic video games or entertainment.

but should your friend be so far from the light, you should be ok with playing tux racer with them, and just tux racer

May god bless the GNU/HURD/LINUX gods and the prophet richard stallman and forgive those who sin

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i play dice with my friends, boardgames with my family, and computer games with myself.

whoa i didnt realize it but that is true

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
the only game I play with myself requires a joystick

luckily it came bundled

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Dongslayer. posted:

but video games

https://store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998%2C996&os=mac%2Clinux&filter=topsellers

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

FrozenVent posted:

the only game I play with myself requires a joystick

luckily it came bundled

lol if you didnt splash for the cobra

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

love all these added pointless loving features in these gigantic os updates that they think people want 4 times a year

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
nb: eric lundgren is a bullshitter

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Gazpacho posted:

lol

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Krankenstyle posted:

i play dice with my friends, boardgames with my family, and computer games with myself.

whoa i didnt realize it but that is true

more like bored games

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Gazpacho posted:

that is the swedishest name in history

Wheany posted:

more like bored games

no u

pram
Jun 10, 2001
macos is unix and has plenty of great games like Fortnite

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

pram posted:

macos is unix and has plenty of great games like Fortnite

Unix for amateurs, maybe. Certainly not a good operating system.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

computers arent for gaming except maybe emulators or a single player campaign once in a while

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Gazpacho posted:

from the verge interview

quote:

My other companies are suffering. I’m in the process of building the world’s longest-range electric semi that I want to drive from the West Coast to the East Coast on a single charge, and I’m actually building that.
:thunk:

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Ah yes the electric semi to transport his counterfeit discs

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

his one mistake was his cackling email where he repeatedly describes his actions as a crime and complains that his isn't making enough criminal dollars out of the crime he is currently doing

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

microsoft is innovating bold new metrics in their neverending quest to avoid telling their investors exactly how bad the xbox program is financially

quote:

According to Nadella, the Xbox One is the “highest-engagement console in the marketplace.” Any time a new game releases, whether it’s first or third-party, “the fact that Xbox is where the best engagement is driven benefits” Microsoft. As a platform owner, that’s a “great growth area” for the company.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

please nadella, dont innovate'm

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Gazpacho posted:

this is incredible but i wonder how lundgren pulled that sweet PR campaign that got him looking as the poor underdog victim? it can't have been his own doing because based on those e-mails he sounds like an actual idiot. maybe the media just leaned in on it way too hard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
the best part is that microsoft informed the court of a lower value for his knock-offs ($:420:,000) than what the court eventually held, and way less than what the government claimed in charging him. No thanks for small favors I guess.