Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

sterster posted:

Got a link? That guy tries to be scientific sometimes and he will gently caress it up by adding extra variables. Sometimes he's right on though.

Yeah, he'll do side by side taste tests but throws on a bunch of garlic powder and chives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
https://youtu.be/7UDFO-ifqC8

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Huh.. He seemed to know pretty spot on which was which. This is a pretty simple experiment to reproduce. I don't have any Ny Strip in the freezer like I normally do. However, next time I do. I think I'm going to try this. Anyone else want to try to reproduce this and give your thoughts?

E: Also wanted to point out he has huge gently caress of crystals of salt he uses but then tiny rear end fine ground pepper. I'm a Course Kosher Salt and fresh ground pepper fan.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I bet he uses the Brazilian grill salt.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I have a Porter & York ribeye in the freezer. About 1 lb. About an inch thick. I can’t do a side-by-side, but I did eat a not-previously-frozen one like 3 days ago... I’m happy to puddle one straight from the freezer.

How much longer do you think I need to cook it? 2 hours instead of 1? More?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Feenix posted:

I have a Porter & York ribeye in the freezer. About 1 lb. About an inch thick. I can’t do a side-by-side, but I did eat a not-previously-frozen one like 3 days ago... I’m happy to puddle one straight from the freezer.

How much longer do you think I need to cook it? 2 hours instead of 1? More?

like 20-30 minutes maybe, water is a really good heat conductor.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Got a relatively small (3 lbs) chuck roast in the freezer, gonna sous vide it tonight for dinner tomorrow. Plan was 20 hours or so from frozen at 129*F, salt, hot sear, finish with pepper and serve immediately. I might make a pan sauce with the juice from the bag and some red wine, too. Any glaring problems with this plan?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Lawnie posted:

Got a relatively small (3 lbs) chuck roast in the freezer, gonna sous vide it tonight for dinner tomorrow. Plan was 20 hours or so from frozen at 129*F, salt, hot sear, finish with pepper and serve immediately. I might make a pan sauce with the juice from the bag and some red wine, too. Any glaring problems with this plan?

I’ve never been able to make a decent pan sauce from the juice from the bag.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

ColHannibal posted:

Better off using some chicken or beef stock, then?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

ColHannibal posted:

:( The bag juice is perfect for sauce. Unless it's like mega-herbed or something. IMO.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

did sous vide corn on the cob tonight and finished on the grill for some quick char - really, really good. ultra juicy, but with a great crunch

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Bag juice is full of liquid proteins that have not coagulated from high heat, and every time I’ve tried to cook it into a sauce I got a congealed blobby mess

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I chill the juice before i add it to a roux or hot wine or whatever. since its already in a bag i drop it in some ice water for a few while i finish whatever sides and then sauce it up. It would always break and clump otherwise so i followed the chef john tip of always adding cold stock to hot whatever-else for a sauce.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Yeah, I always chill bag juices for a minute or two in ice water then strain the solids out, works great for sauces.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Getting back to that "is there a difference "from frozen" or thawed. I did a boneless ribeye a week ago (same butcher & cut) thawed (not ever frozen) and it was great. I froze the other one and did it straight from the freezer tonight and... it was great. If there was a difference, I could not tell. But, disclaimer, I am not a steak PROFESSIONAL. I just know what I like and how things taste, etc...

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

ColHannibal posted:

I have a process that makes it easy. Run the juice through a cheese cloth and a seive. Strain out all the goop. After the sear deglaze with the juice and a bit of wine. Reduce and stir in some butter until it's smooth.

Pour all over that poo poo.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I have a process that makes it easy. Run the juice through a cheese cloth and a seive. Strain out all the goop. After the sear deglaze with the juice and a bit of wine. Reduce and stir in some butter until it's smooth.

Pour all over that poo poo.

I'll have to give that a try (or chilling it first) because I've never had good luck with bag sauce either.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I ended up picking up a Joule, to help with my concerns about water damage a bit. Normally I hate using things that don't have their own interfaces, but this turned out relatively quick and simple. Did some top sirloin steaks for 2 and a half hours at 130F and they came out as basically the juiciest steak I've ever had.

I think the next experiment is gonna be either flan or creme brulee. I've always wanted to make custards like that but I'm terrified of overcooking them. I'm gonna see if I can find some jars that are the right shape and size for it (especially dropping flan on a plate), since trying to vacuum seal ramekins with liquid in them seems like it'll be an exercise in frustration.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Be careful with the jars. I found with the anova and it's min water level is above the hight of the jar. So putting the jar in the water it floats and tilts. So something to consider when you do that.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I use small pickling jars, the remaining air is so little that they simply stay put under water because the glass is heavy enough.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

sterster posted:

Be careful with the jars. I found with the anova and it's min water level is above the hight of the jar. So putting the jar in the water it floats and tilts. So something to consider when you do that.

Have you tried putting something under the jars to prevent this from happening? Something solid but doesn't float like a small upside down casserole dish? This way you can fill your pot with enough water for the anova but it's not deep enough where the jars will float/become submerged.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Just... put the casserole on top of the jars to submerge them. I use an enameled trivet.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Lawnie posted:

Just... put the casserole on top of the jars to submerge them. I use an enameled trivet.

Maybe I misread. I assumed you wanted the top of the jars out of the water like when you're making a normal creme brulee but the depth of water needed for an anova is too deep for shallow jars.

edit:

Lawnie posted:

I use an enameled trivet.
Le Creuset? Niiice.

atothesquiz fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 25, 2018

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

atothesquiz posted:

Maybe I misread. I assumed you wanted the top of the jars out of the water like when you're making a normal creme brulee but the depth of water needed for an anova is too deep for shallow jars.

edit:

Le Creuset? Niiice.

Okay, I may be misunderstanding then. I’m not sure there’s a good reason not to have the top of the jars out of the water but I’ve never made creme brûlée this way, either, so, sorry for talking out my rear end.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Lawnie posted:

Okay, I may be misunderstanding then. I’m not sure there’s a good reason not to have the top of the jars out of the water but I’ve never made creme brûlée this way, either, so, sorry for talking out my rear end.

I too have never made these, fellow rear end talker.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

atothesquiz posted:

Have you tried putting something under the jars to prevent this from happening? Something solid but doesn't float like a small upside down casserole dish? This way you can fill your pot with enough water for the anova but it's not deep enough where the jars will float/become submerged.
I've only done it twice. No I was too stupid to come up with this solution when I tried it. I made a cage with 2 cooling racks and rubber bands to keep them submerged the 2nd time I did it.

My jars are small/squat 4oz jam jars that I completely submerged. This is why the 'finger tight' argument always starts when this come up.
The jars I use will initially attempt to float but as the pressure builds up and the air pushes it's way out of the jar they eventually sink. Which after writing doesn't seem to make sense. I thought buoyancy was based off the water displacement and it wouldn't matter the pressure of air in the vessel as you are still displacing the same volume of water.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I just stack the jars on the bottom and put a stainless steel lid right on top, they don't move

in general I think people get way too worried about stuff floating/evaporation

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Sous vide creme brulee and pot de creme are my go-to desserts. Just use canning jars (of any size, sometimes I like making a HUGE one), pop on the top 'finger tight' and just stack them. Shouldn't float. The only issue I've ever had is I once busted a jar due to heat expansion and it made my water all soupy, but that doesn't affect the cooking of the other jars at all soooo it's all good.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I remember the sous vide egg bites being discussed before in this thread, but considering they're a breakfast food that's definitely going to be made ahead, how do you guys reheat them? I assume they're not meant to be eaten cold.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

AnonSpore posted:

I remember the sous vide egg bites being discussed before in this thread, but considering they're a breakfast food that's definitely going to be made ahead, how do you guys reheat them? I assume they're not meant to be eaten cold.

They're fine cold. It's basically a savory custard.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Yeah I eat em cold, and sometimes I'll microwave them for 30 seconds which does the trick. I know some people put them in the toaster oven but I haven't tried that myself.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

If you're in a treasure truck town my local seems to be doing Anova with Wi-Fi for $94.

anthropogentric
Sep 7, 2000

Forum Veteran

AnonSpore posted:

I kept my SV out and set it to like 100 as soon as I woke up. Tossed them back in for about 15 mins to rewarm.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I always have a hell of a time cleaning the jars afterwards for some reason.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Subjunctive posted:

I always have a hell of a time cleaning the jars afterwards for some reason.

I found that PAMing the hell out of the jars before filling seems to work pretty well for making them cleanable. I'm reluctant to use that stuff because I don't know what's in it but buttering them was a pain in the rear end and also didn't really seem to work for me.

Also I'd microwave mine for 20 seconds.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

theres a will theres moe posted:

I found that PAMing the hell out of the jars before filling seems to work pretty well for making them cleanable. I'm reluctant to use that stuff because I don't know what's in it

They tell you what's in it - it's canola oil, lecithin, and propellant. The original owner also got a patent on it.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US3661605A/en?inventor=Meyerhoff+Arthur

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe
Lots of PAM really helps with the clean up. I usually toss them in the convection toaster over if I have time, they will brown up a little too. Microwave definitely works fine if I am pressed for time.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
We make batches of them on Sundays to take to work with us throughout the week for breakfast and we just microwave the jars for 30-40 seconds.

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 28, 2018

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I have 2 beefs. One I will grill and eat immediately and one I will vac bag then sous vide for a future meal. But which cut should I do which too? Neither piece is particularly thick and both are ~1.5lbs. One is shoulder (chuck? It looks different than most chuck I've seen) and the other is a flat iron. I've grilled both to great success but only done sous vide chuck roast of the two cuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

chuck roast, 18 hours at 137, went in with just salt, finished with salt/pepper/garlic powder and seared in ghee

extensively trimmed the original roast and then tied it with twine

pretty incredible. tenderness of prime rib.

I upped my cooking time to 48 hours and gently caress, a chuck is incredible at that time. Temp was 131. Followed the chef steps directions for searing and dropping the toasted garlic and rosemary in the bag while it cooked. Came out almost buttery tender. The bag sauce was perfect as well. I really want to try with venison next like the other dude did in here