Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Full frame is not the mythical thing that it used to be. In real life applications no one will notice a difference, Fuji has fast primes so you can get all bokeh crazy if you want, the current gen X-trans has excellent low light performance etc. Really the only big thing other than adapting lenses and keeping the original focal length (which I am imagining you might not be doing with video and isn’t really the point of going Fuji for me since I want Fuji glass) is being able to crop in really far with the current full game sensors. I guess the other thing is people judging you like craigslist real estate hirers saying you have to have a full frame because they don’t know better but that would mean wanting to take those jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Fuji can adjust shutter speed with dial, just set it to “t”. Aperture is a click ring on the lens itself. IMO it’s just as easy if not more so on the Fuji.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The one lens I have with an aperture ring is the panaleica 15mm, and tbh... ehhh. On such a small lens it's a little fiddly, and it's fairly loose so it tends to get bumped off where it was and I tend to only notice when suddenly I'm deep into the electronic shutter speeds or everything is blurry. I force myself to use it because it's there, but honestly (and especially since it's how I adjust aperture on all my other lenses), the thumb/finger wheels do a better job.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is there really a need to shoot video in FF *in general*? I saw a video break down of what cameras were used to shoot movies. 9 out of 10 films were made in Arri,RED and film cameras, which are Super 35 (basically APSC sized). Only one low-budget movie used the combination of RED and Sony cameras.

So you can shoot video in the middle of the night w a FF sensor, yeah great for you. I don't have anything interesting to shoot in the dark.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Apr 18, 2018

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Finger Prince posted:

The one lens I have with an aperture ring is the panaleica 15mm, and tbh... ehhh. On such a small lens it's a little fiddly, and it's fairly loose so it tends to get bumped off where it was and I tend to only notice when suddenly I'm deep into the electronic shutter speeds or everything is blurry. I force myself to use it because it's there, but honestly (and especially since it's how I adjust aperture on all my other lenses), the thumb/finger wheels do a better job.

Yeah that I can understand. On the Fuji system the smallest lenses are to me still easily adjusted, but on the mFT I can imagine it being a different story. I know the front dial on the fuji system can be used for lenses that do not have the ring, perhaps there is a setting which allows you to adjust that with the dial at all times .. or maybe it does and I just never use it.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Can you elaborate on what you didn't like about them?

Yeah video hasn't been a part of my life but I'd like it to be. 1080p would seem like a waste since i have a 4k monitor and TV.

Sure: Bought the A7s as an upgrade/supplement to my D800 and XF300 for video. The loving record button is under your palm and you can't remap it, which is annoying, and without an external monitor that could apply a LUT judging exposure well was a pain. Matching it to my other cameras in post was also annoying. Sold it and went with a D750 instead.

The A6000 and XT20 were both going to be small camera supplements to my main DSLR gear that'd give me more capability than the GR but not be so much to cart around. I think the biggest issue with both was that I love my GR and other than incredibly slow AF and the fixed lens it's hard to beat for capability and handling. The A6000 was technically impressive, but never felt that good to use and I didn't like the one pancake lens they had that much. With the XT20 I didn't care for the retro controls/handling that much (many people love it though, which is why you should try it yourself) and didn't think the 27mm pancake was all that good.

whatever7 posted:

Is there really a need to shoot video in FF *in general*? I saw a video break down of what cameras were used to shoot movies. 9 out of 10 films were made in Arri,RED and film cameras, which are Super 35 (basically APSC sized). Only one low-budget movie used the combination of RED and Sony cameras.

So you can shoot video in the middle of the night w a FF sensor, yeah great for you. I don't have anything interesting to shoot in the dark.

Larger sensors are becoming a big thing in film making though. The Alexa 65 is getting out there more and its sensor is bigger than a 35mm stills sensor.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Yeah that I can understand. On the Fuji system the smallest lenses are to me still easily adjusted, but on the mFT I can imagine it being a different story. I know the front dial on the fuji system can be used for lenses that do not have the ring, perhaps there is a setting which allows you to adjust that with the dial at all times .. or maybe it does and I just never use it.

If you click it in the A detent, you can adjust using the body. It's just stupidness on my part because "that's the way you're supposed to do it and prefer it" even though I don't. Like all the reviewers are always gushing about ahhh it has an aperture ring so you think well what am I missing, so you keep trying it out. But really I'd rather have a lens hood that doesn't constantly fall off instead.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Finger Prince posted:

Seconding all of this. I adore that lens, and I thought I would love the aperture ring, but since I use the thumbwheel on all my other lenses, that's where my muscle memory wants to adjust aperture. So the ring stays on "A" unless it gets bumped and I realize 25 shots in that I've been shooting at 3.5 rather than 1.7

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

GEMorris posted:

Seconding all of this. I adore that lens, and I thought I would love the aperture ring, but since I use the thumbwheel on all my other lenses, that's where my muscle memory wants to adjust aperture. So the ring stays on "A" unless it gets bumped and I realize 25 shots in that I've been shooting at 3.5 rather than 1.7

Yeah that is annoying, I understand why. It's odd there is little consistency with the mFT lenses. The only lenses I know of on the Fuji end without the ring is the XC lenses and those are few and not really that desirable in most cases.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Is there no way to turn off the aperture ring so that accidental bumping won't be a problem? You can turn off the focus clutch mechanism on Olympus lenses.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Xabi posted:

Is there no way to turn off the aperture ring so that accidental bumping won't be a problem? You can turn off the focus clutch mechanism on Olympus lenses.

I have a black Armstrong wrist band on my 14mm to prevent accident touch of the aperture ring.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Yeah that is annoying, I understand why. It's odd there is little consistency with the mFT lenses. The only lenses I know of on the Fuji end without the ring is the XC lenses and those are few and not really that desirable in most cases.

It might be part of the Leica branding agreement, because to be a Serious Lens* (pretend the asterisk there is red) worthy of the name, you should have an aperture ring, even if it's pretty irrelevant in your modern control scheme. I like what Olympus does with their push/pull manual focus rings, but that's not consistent either. Panasonic's implementation of that is best described as "afterthought".
I guess it comes down to a combination of a newish format still figuring things out, so they aren't trapped by "we've always done it this way" and consumer expectations of "everyone else has always does it this way so why don't you" leading to half assed implementations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Xabi posted:

Yeah, put it on an Olympus body! :v:

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Finger Prince posted:

Yeah, put it on an Olympus body! :v:

Yep, this. The aperture rings only work with Panasonic bodies.

Otherwise, no, there isn't a hardware setting to say "ignore the ring"

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Finger Prince posted:

If you click it in the A detent, you can adjust using the body.

There’s a menu option to make the A aperture position either be auto (default) or be dial adjusted though.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

What are some manual lenses that would work well with a fuji XE1?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Soviet Helios etc lenses
Canon FD glass

eternity test
Apr 30, 2006
I have a Canon 70D with a couple of lenses but am looking to buy a second smaller camera to keep in the bag i bring on my commute. I found a used X-pro1 with the 27mm pancake for about 400 euros and I’m really intrigued by the hybrid viewfinder and film simulations. Is this a worthwhile purchase in 2018? I mostly shoot urban landscapes, street and some snaps of my kids/family.

My current commuter camera is a film FED-2 and I like the look/feel of a rangefinder but film is just too expensive when you take lots of photos.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Have you considered X100/s/x?

eternity test
Apr 30, 2006

whatever7 posted:

Have you considered X100/s/x?

I have, but they seem pretty rare in my area. The only model in my price range is the original x100 at around 300 euro and it seems a bit expensive for a 12 mp camera. I'm not planning on doing any large prints but it just seems a little dated I guess. Is there a big difference between the x100 and the xpro aside from megapickel count?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

eternity test posted:

I have, but they seem pretty rare in my area. The only model in my price range is the original x100 at around 300 euro and it seems a bit expensive for a 12 mp camera. I'm not planning on doing any large prints but it just seems a little dated I guess. Is there a big difference between the x100 and the xpro aside from megapickel count?

Well both X100 and Xpro are slow, but X100s is faster in AF and smaller. I would hook you up with my X100s if you are in the US. There is also the X70 and Ricoh GR1/2

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
The xpro1 with 27mm is a fine combo. Buy that. It is better than an x100s. I sold my x100s immediately upon getting an xpro.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Is anyone looking to buy an X-T1? I am thinking about putting it in the for sale thread but might just go straight to eBay because I need it sold quickly for rent money (taxes hit me hard). I was trying to sell it locally with the Velo grip included for 450 but only got lowball offers and would probably sell just the body for 420 shipped at this point. If there isn’t interest then I’ll probably just go straight to eBay since I assume anyone here who is into mirrorless probably has one or a different body already.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

eternity test posted:

Iirc the original x100 has a regular bayer sensor while the x-pro1 has an x-trans sensor.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Yeah, the original x100 has a bayer sensor. Imo it had something that the subsequent ones didn’t - the image output was just awesome on that camera. X-trans is great so don’t get me wrong but none of the other Fuji cameras could get that same look that the original x100 could get.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

rio posted:

Yeah, the original x100 has a bayer sensor. Imo it had something that the subsequent ones didn’t - the image output was just awesome on that camera. X-trans is great so don’t get me wrong but none of the other Fuji cameras could get that same look that the original x100 could get.

XA1/XA2 have the same sensor.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

whatever7 posted:

XA1/XA2 have the same sensor.

Oh I didn’t realize that - I’m totally unfamiliar with the A series.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The XPro1 will presumably had the worst of it's depreciation so when you decide it's terrible amazing but now you must absolutely have an xpro2, you won't have lost too much money...

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Thanks everyone for the advice. I found an X-T2 locally with a fuji 35mm f1.4 included for $1300. Just 7000 shots on it. Insane deal although the sensor needed cleaning and the lens finish is a bit worn. Already feels good to be back into photo.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Thanks everyone for the advice. I found an X-T2 locally with a fuji 35mm f1.4 included for $1300. Just 7000 shots on it. Insane deal although the sensor needed cleaning and the lens finish is a bit worn. Already feels good to be back into photo.

I love my X-T2, it's a pleasure to shoot with and fits my hand perfectly.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Thanks to everyone who suggested the Panasonic 42.5. I finally got the opportunity to test it out, and I really enjoyed using it. Here's a few examples SOC, no cropping or adjusting (due to laziness and convenience of WiFi-phone transfer more than anything else) on a cloudy British spring day.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Finger Prince posted:

Thanks to everyone who suggested the Panasonic 42.5. I finally got the opportunity to test it out, and I really enjoyed using it. Here's a few examples SOC, no cropping or adjusting (due to laziness and convenience of WiFi-phone transfer more than anything else) on a cloudy British spring day.

Yay, I'm glad you liked it, it is one of my favs! Those are some nice shots.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and pick up an X100F, it's not like they're going to announce a replacement 6 weeks from now with the touchscreen and new UI from the XE-3, right? It seems like most of their models are on a 2-3 year refresh cycle.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

qirex posted:

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and pick up an X100F, it's not like they're going to announce a replacement 6 weeks from now with the touchscreen and new UI from the XE-3, right? It seems like most of their models are on a 2-3 year refresh cycle.

I doubt they're going to replace the X100F until the next generation of x-trans sensor rolls out on the x-pro or x-t series, imo.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

whatever7 posted:

I have worked on big budget hollywood movies that used sony a7sII's and bmpcc's as bcams. Your logic don't make any sense. Do you think the only use for video on a ff camera is feature films and shooting vid in the middle of the night? There are whole commercial/real estate/wedding/vlogging sectors where you don't need a red epic to shoot your video.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

qirex posted:

I was thinking the same thing, the X100T's wasn't quite there yet with megapixel count so my crops can be janky, but the X100F's new x-trans is just right for resolution and high ISO. The only thing they can make a big improvement now is the lens. And I'm not sure they'll do it for the next iteration...

Also I just realized I haven't bought any new camera gear in 3 years so I'm pretty happy with my control of GAS. It's time for a splurge.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah I bought one today. I managed to not get any accessories but that will be a bit of a thing probably. Does the bundled lens cap fit with the lens hood adaptor?

So far it’s fun but drat there’s a lot to learn.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

qirex posted:

Yeah I bought one today. I managed to not get any accessories but that will be a bit of a thing probably. Does the bundled lens cap fit with the lens hood adaptor?

It does not, and the first-party adapter and hood don't come with one either, which is irritating.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Took the plunge and ordered an A7iii today. Now we play the waiting game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

qirex posted:

JJC makes a round hood that will work with the OEM cap.