Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Shine posted:

Now I'm gonna be sad if it's an uncommon movement option.

Really wishing Payday 2 had this :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Ciaphas posted:

well subnautica vr was certainly impressive in scale, didn't quite realize that i'm so small compared to e.g. a peeper

didn't give me the scare or immersion i hoped for because man you thought subnautica ran like poo poo before, try doubling the resolution and a clearly bolted on render path and you've got a recipe for choppy garbage

unfortunate, really

Subnautica is my most played game in VR at about 40 hours. Plays fine for me with my I5 and 1070, except for really bad pop-in. But I've talked with other people with I7/1080 for whom the game is basically unplayable, so ymmv.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Shine posted:

This game is cool, and I'm digging the "slide in the direction your hand is pointing" movement, with it being disconnected from the camera direction. I much, much prefer this to sliding around using the trackpad. Seems like it helps address one of the reasons why people were talking about a belt tracker (move in a given direction while glancing left and right).

I would assume this is an option in a bunch of games, but this is the first game where I've messed with slide locomotion substantially, as I'm still getting my VR legs. Now I'm gonna be sad if it's an uncommon movement option.

I've never heard of slide movement, that sounds awesome. I'm gonna have to give COMPOUND a try

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Subnautica is my most played game in VR at about 40 hours. Plays fine for me with my I5 and 1070, except for really bad pop-in. But I've talked with other people with I7/1080 for whom the game is basically unplayable, so ymmv.

I'm on a i5 6600K and 1080Ti and it was a choppy mess the first time. Second time I tried this morning it was silky smooth but the scripting broke and it crashed shortly after

The texturing was a little low quality, except for the water surface which was :stare:, and it was cool looking. Maybe I'll give it another try, since the symptoms are changing and all.

By the way, is there a hotkey or something for resetting your position or your headlook center angle or anything? When I first started the game I was in the opening scripted cutscene, looking in on the lifepod from the outside as it "crashed into the surface" :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 28, 2018

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

its f2. getting into vr has really made me hate the current developer trend away from providing any out-of-game documentation for controls and gameplay. some vr games dont even have a main menu, so if theres something you cant figure out its down to trawling through steam forum posts

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Apple wants 8k per eye AR and VR

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Theyll be beaten to 8k vr at least by Pimax 8kx. Though that assumes it'll ever come out. Which looks increasingly far off.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Ciaphas posted:

I'm on a i5 6600K and 1080Ti and it was a choppy mess the first time. Second time I tried this morning it was silky smooth but the scripting broke and it crashed shortly after

The texturing was a little low quality, except for the water surface which was :stare:, and it was cool looking. Maybe I'll give it another try, since the symptoms are changing and all.

By the way, is there a hotkey or something for resetting your position or your headlook center angle or anything? When I first started the game I was in the opening scripted cutscene, looking in on the lifepod from the outside as it "crashed into the surface" :v:

I've never gotten a cut scene so couldn't tell you. I don't even get the voice acting from the radio messages. Still an amazing game though.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Are they also building a time machine to bring graphics cards from a decade in the future into the present day?

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

FBS posted:

This rules, I bought it on a whim on sale last week but haven't tried it yet. I was prepared to do the tweaks but I just don't have the same patience for that stuff like I did as a teenager.

Just another person chiming in to say FO4VR is way, way better on the rift with this new beta patch. I had the mapped controls pretty well memorized so switching is a little difficult but the control scheme is MUCH better.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Theyll be beaten to 8k vr at least by Pimax 8kx. Though that assumes it'll ever come out. Which looks increasingly far off.

That's only 4k per eye. You do know about the pimax's marketing fuckery, right? And read the article, which says the only 8k screens on the market right now is some very expensive, very large TVs.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

A freebie that I enjoyed tinkering with for ten minutes or so:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/559010/Cosmic_Sugar_VR/

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I wouldn't call a basic proof-of-concept demo with only two weapons anywhere close to a "full" VR game.

It's for sure a demo,

But I mean in terms of like, utilising VR for what it is. And the great work the dude has done with the aesthetic. It's probably the VR game( not experience) I have sunk the most amount of time.

Even in its current state it is miles ahead of most VR games available

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

NoneMoreNegative posted:

A freebie that I enjoyed tinkering with for ten minutes or so:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/559010/Cosmic_Sugar_VR/

Pro-10 minutes

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Fallout 4 is so much better now it's not a cobbled-together mess of mods.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
With the new Skyrim VR Beta patch, if you add:

quote:

[VR]

bAlwaysShowHands=1

To your Skyrimvr.ini you'll have hands present at all times in-game, holding weapons correctly and resting when neutral. Do this. Having hands on your equipment (ooer, missus) at all times makes the game feel so much better. No more floating swords! No more controllers flying around in the sky!

Only bug I've seen with this is that two handed weapons will show a controller in the offhand, overlaying the hand model in the game. It still looks much better to have two hands swinging 2h weapons even if the other hand is mimed.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
The ini tweaks really helped improve Skyrim for me. I’m no longer killing NPCs when I try to talk to them since I increased the force needed to register an attack. Also, now I realize it’s possible to stow the weapons and not have fists. (Hold down dominate side’s menu button on WMR).

My next task is to solve my motion sickness. This is the only game that causes it for me. I am using smooth motion and smooth turning, both things that are known to cause motion sickness. I refuse to do teleport and would like to avoid snap turning.

Has anyone tried that Natural Locomotion app on Steam? The developer popped up on Reddit and claimed that it can help motion sickness. People on YouTube just look like they’re swinging their arms.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Macintosh HD posted:

Has anyone tried that Natural Locomotion app on Steam? The developer popped up on Reddit and claimed that it can help motion sickness. People on YouTube just look like they’re swinging their arms.

I've found the general arm-swinging style of locomotion works very well to combat motion sickness. I can go for a while using it in H3VR, but just sliding around in PayDay2 or Skyrim leaves me a little unwell eventually. Not full-on nauseated, but just a little queasy.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've found the general arm-swinging style of locomotion works very well to combat motion sickness. I can go for a while using it in H3VR, but just sliding around in PayDay2 or Skyrim leaves me a little unwell eventually. Not full-on nauseated, but just a little queasy.

Interesting. I never would’ve thought arm swinging would help that much. I’m going to try the Natural Locomotion demo then.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I can handle artificial locomotion, but smooth turning (or any kind of artificial turning) tends to make me ill. If you have the capability to set up 360 degree tracking then I'd do that and just turn your whole body instead of using a stick.

Cable management becomes an issue, untangling it after a session is usually a good idea. But the benefits to immersion are huge.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
A buddy and I recently tried out rec room, and had a fun night playing Rise of Jumbotron. Any other suggestions for good multiplayer rec room games?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

What's the best VR game that utilizes your own music?

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Google Butt posted:

I really enjoy Audioshield since it takes my Flac rips or can pull up a YouTube. The beats can be strange for some songs, even nearly impossible at higher difficulties. Several people will tell you that Soundboxing is great as well, though I've not tried that one. Thought I'd seen another game come across my Steam queue, though the name escapes me right now.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Loaded up my old Subnautica save in VR and :stonklol:ed for like 20 minutes at the sheer absurd scale of everything, but i've had my fill

besides minecraft itself, are there any other good VR games in that sort of area?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SwissCM posted:

Cable management becomes an issue, untangling it after a session is usually a good idea. But the benefits to immersion are huge.

Check out TurnSignal on Steam. I found it quite useful.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I was going to recommend that but I've already recommended it a bunch in the thread (I think?), felt kind of like i was repeating myself.

The biggest VR related thing I'm buying this year is probably going to be the official wireless adapter.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Google Butt posted:

Depends.

BoxVR is my jam right now. Its just, the best. Buy this one.

Audio Shield would be what I'd recommend for your own music, if BoxVR didn't exist.

Holodance and Soundboxing are cool. But SB requires people to make maps and Holodance for me, while fun, just isnt really what I wanted.

They are all good games in there own rights though.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Ciaphas posted:

Loaded up my old Subnautica save in VR and :stonklol:ed for like 20 minutes at the sheer absurd scale of everything, but i've had my fill

besides minecraft itself, are there any other good VR games in that sort of area?

CyubeVR, but that is basically ue4 minecraft

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

EbolaIvory posted:

BoxVR is my jam right now. Its just, the best. Buy this one.

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I loving hate soundboxing now that I've settled into a routine with BoxVR. The majority of maps are anime soundtracks made by people who think SHITLOADS OF ORBS are more important than rhythm or placement or pace. BoxVR's algorithm is a thousand million billion times better at making beatmaps than pretty much anything on soundboxing. And the menus in soundboxing are broken as gently caress and the dev hasn't updated it in nearly a year. Waste of money, imho. BoxVR is really good, get that.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Gonna give BoxVR a try, then. I'm surprised - why haven't I heard of this before? Outside of Soundboxing, Beat Saber and Audioshield (And that one game that takes OSU beatmaps I keep forgetting about) I've not heard about many other rhythym games of note, and this one came out in the middle of last year. Didn't know you could use your own music, I'm always up for games like that.

Soundboxing is really great but yeah, some people get way too carried away expecting people to be rhythm game masters. I know it's part and parcel for the genre but just as some people aren't twitch-shooting first person pros, rhythm gamers have to start somewhere and the difficulty curves seem to be vertical when people make the beatmaps themselves.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

The UI in soundboxing is incredibly bad and some menus don't function at all. If I paid more than $5 for it I'd be pissed. When it works it is decent but I've spent as much time dealing with bugs and fighting the interface as I have actually in a song. I wouldn't recommend it.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I loving hate soundboxing now that I've settled into a routine with BoxVR. The majority of maps are anime soundtracks made by people who think SHITLOADS OF ORBS are more important than rhythm or placement or pace. BoxVR's algorithm is a thousand million billion times better at making beatmaps than pretty much anything on soundboxing. And the menus in soundboxing are broken as gently caress and the dev hasn't updated it in nearly a year. Waste of money, imho. BoxVR is really good, get that.

Yeah. Same basically. I enjoy soundboxing but yeah. That’s basically why box replaced it for me too.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Sairento VR in 3rd person dashes any belief that you are a badass and not some sort of performance art piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSUTLuUgGJM

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Twibbit posted:

Sairento VR in 3rd person dashes any belief that you are a badass and not some sort of performance art piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSUTLuUgGJM

Oh man I really should play more Sairento

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
drat, Compound rules. Really wish there was more to it, but I'm definitely enjoying it so far. Is there more than just one level?

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Taintrunner posted:

Oh man I really should play more Sairento

I didn't even realize sairento got a campaign. Looks like it's been updated a lot since I played it last summer

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

CodfishCartographer posted:

drat, Compound rules. Really wish there was more to it, but I'm definitely enjoying it so far. Is there more than just one level?

Just one level that loops and gets more difficult.

Highly recommend only playing on difficult

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

CodfishCartographer posted:

The dev came out recently and said he's working on a full game. Posted some videos of new weapons, enemies and locations, looked pretty neat.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

nightwisher posted:

The dev came out recently and said he's working on a full game. Posted some videos of new weapons, enemies and locations, looked pretty neat.

Shotgun:

Railgun:

:cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ok uh yeah BoxVR completely destroys the competition in its subgenre of audio based punchies

Added bonus that I've been taking boxing lessons IRL recently and with the gloves rotated to put my thumb in the right (ish) place, I can just do the exercises i learned there: jabs with the forward hand are quick and jerky things with no hip, everything else has some hip and pivot in it without shifting your CoG; and it works perfectly for every punch if my form is good :v: