Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

pictured, left to right: a long blade and a short blade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Calling them Precision Blades would be kinda unwieldy though.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

clearly it's referring to length across the blade

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Sojenus posted:

clearly it's referring to length across the blade

meat cleavers are my favorite long blade

anyways hellcrawl style blades are fun and good because it's fun to stab with high damage weapons and I shouldn't have to wait until I get a run with boots of the assassin to do so. I don't mind if we merge blades school to also have riposte, I mostly just think the effect on stabbing is great because it solves the short blades problem and I don't think the resulting blades school is overpowered(and I don't think riposte will push it over that edge). I will say I don't want to have a split in the school where some are better at riposting and some are better at stabbing, I would prefer they're all just equally good at both.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 28, 2018

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Tollymain posted:

also regarding helping out nonmagically inclined light armour characters

a reason to not take Oka all the time is good poo poo

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Weeping Wound posted:

a reason to not take Oka all the time is good poo poo

for ammo? i think ammo is plentiful enough these days you can use it on anything even remotely threatening w/o an ammo-gifting god (except throwing lmao)

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Found a 32 gold aqcuirement scroll. Feels like finding a 20 on the sidewalk

edit: sick its a artifact crossbow of penetrating.

I am Otis fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 29, 2018

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Make Silence & Invisibility better.

Make all Short Blades have an equal stab bonus so you don't have to switch to a dagger.

Also, :eyepop::love: that suggestion about daggers being offhand weapons that enable stabs

Edit: rename the to Hermetic Crabs to really drive home the magically-attuned theme

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 29, 2018

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
huh, i didnt know hydra form wasnt a poison/transmutations spell

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
Also return ignite poison to pre0.16 greatness

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
give it a high-level followup that turns fire into poison

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i would call this on the level of 'developer art' but that would be an insult to developers and i have only barely any idea of what the gently caress i'm doing

presenting an absolutely atrocious yeti mockup idea

i figured they might have blue skin

this is probably entirely unusable for a myriad of reasons but i am the prime lobbyist for yetis here so it's my duty to suck anyways

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
pretty sweet, though its hard to see against a pure white background. can you throw transparency behind it

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

might have to wait for some other time since i'm now mobileposting and my inept fumbling with microsoft paint only has so many awkward miracles it can perform

i'm already thinking it could use more of a shaggy look but editing a pre-existing base was about all i could muster in the quick bit of time i had

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
mspaint still cant do transparencies? lmao

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

IronicDongz posted:

same except also it has always driven me insane that rapiers are in the "short" blades category

I don’t know why, after changing rapier to cutlass to avoid this problem, when they decided short blades couldn’t do slashing damage and had to remove cutlasses, they just put rapiers back. There are so many other types of short blades they could have chosen. Small sword is the obvious choice for something most people confuse with the rapier anyway, but is actually short. Or they could have called them gladii or katzbalgers, but no, it has to be a rapier.

How do you picture the progression of the new blades category to go? If I recall, hellcrawl removes short swords and falchions and puts rapiers as the shittiest blade after daggers, which kind of annoys me, but Crawl doesn’t really have a place for rapiers with a proper “feel”.

I’m surprised the thread likes the idea of combining short and long blades, I thought people would be unhappy about removing a weapon category or unhappy about either removing riposte or allowing one category to have two special effects. It is a good idea, though.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
like i said before right now as a long-blades using character i can have access to all the stabbing i want through cross-training and keeping a dagger on hand, may as well mash them together into one weapon school that has the drawback of no cross-training at all

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
I tried to build crawl from source (both gooncrawl fork and then vanilla) and on my macbook but the clua provided by the recommended "git submodule update --init" fails to compile due to some errors within the source code itself (in cluautil.h and others); has anyone here actually tried to compile this stuff on OSX/getting the prerequisities from elsewhere? (well, of course somebody has, as we do have a gooncrawl mac binary available) I'm a noob when it comes to building from C sources on mac :saddowns:
(well, I'm a noob in general but I guess Linux is better at holding your hand with this)

I want to develop for this FOSS C project as god intended; on Linux; but my proper rig's motherboard died this week.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
more like fossil project

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I’m surprised the thread likes the idea of combining short and long blades, I thought people would be unhappy about removing a weapon category or unhappy about either removing riposte or allowing one category to have two special effects. It is a good idea, though.

it's an actually good proposal because short blades have always been ill-defined and basically require the usage of other skills for them to be even remotely effective. it'd be more handy if the two were mashed together and the stabbing values of thing were hashed out into something that makes some relative sense so that maybe stealthy stabby gameplay can begin to be worked on without needing to figure out where short blades fits into it all.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
replace paralyze w petrification + -tele

e: bring back special effects on aux slot attacks, and also add claws 1 and hooves 2 to beastly appendage

ee: allow people to convert to gozag in shops

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 29, 2018

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
out of curiosity i decided to see what mutations are left after removing body slot/scales mutations and anything else that seemed obvious to the casual observer (also ds facet mutations)

this is what you're left with

- stat bonuses/maluses
- resistances and vulnerabilities
- diet-related mutations and berserk/shoutitis (compulsions?)
- hp or healing-related mutations
- mp and spellpower/success-related mutations
- *tele/blink/repulsion (weird space poo poo)
- automap/sinv/blurry (senses)

i feel like theres the making of some kinda chaos fae species in there but im really tired atm

open question: what stuff do you feel is kinda broken (in either direction) in crawl currently?

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tollymain posted:

open question: what stuff do you feel is kinda broken (in either direction) in crawl currently?

Somebody might call it flavor and floorgod whimsy and I'm willing to debate this on basically philosophical grounds, but I swear the drop system is loving broken in the sense it loves to pile up and ommit items or withold them completely.

So drat often I really really crave an Acquirement to patch up a gaping hole in equip left after Lair and Orc Mines, and there's just none; neither found nor in stores, but when I find one before the branches, I can be almost sure I'll find another or two in Lair/Orc. Similarly if I find a single randart, there's almost always many many more by the end of those two branches, but if there's zero artefacts by the time I reach them, there seems to be often none within them either.

I don't rule out that I'm just getting my jimmies rustled by confirmation bias and whatnot, but I definitely feel like something's up.

I'd really really really appreciate a bit more smooth and reliable distribution of items, be it through intervention within the RNG in the code, or by introduction of independent and more deterministic sources of crucial stuff like item loot chests that'll be inclined to contain stuff you'll be able to make use of or even something as basic as a guarantee of Acquirement scroll somewhere in Dungeon by the depth the second branch of Orc/Lair.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I think this is as Xom as it can get?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Einwand posted:

I think this is as Xom as it can get?

Hahaha that absolutely rules

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
rest in pollen

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

THen what happened?>

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Here's the results of the survey:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VZYidbNQV8gk9BUUljayOAoG9sVqhZm4OECDojDKyLE/edit?usp=sharing

Data:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dV7lSabE3Cxe5LsmhmUVj5ZbrZIpLFqCiyVlbO_-yXc/edit?usp=sharing

I changed things a bit from when I gave the survey by taking out the 'lizard brain' rules, because I realize it was starting to turn subjective. Instead, I just took the 'I don't know/I don't care' out of the pool for each question after doing the validation check of "Do enough people not care about this question?".

I'll put together the full v2.0 design document sometime Monday or Tuesday.

As always, feel free to dispute if anything looks weird.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im surprised people want lava orcs and djinni back as-is

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
They both own tbh, they'd just probably need some brainstorming around how to nerf them because as-is they were a touch too powerful.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

They both own tbh, they'd just probably need some brainstorming around how to nerf them because as-is they were a touch too powerful.

I say re-implement, then discuss changes

as per, y'know, the actual vote

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wait a minute b is already taken for god names lmao

well its just a placeholder anyway

e: it looks like the only letter left is i. i wonder how far up the numbers people will get before they switch to a new system lmao

on that note, the three hunters bjaforfiq makes sense as a concept, its thematic w the mentioned 3 reasons to hunt

ee:

quote:

The Hunters Bjaforfiq

These three sibling figures, legendary hunters, are worshipped by those who wish to provide, to murder, or to exterminate. Worshippers are gifted with light feet under a practical load, plentiful resources, and the capacity to move with immense alacrity. The Hunters are pleased by the search for ever greater prey.

-----

Followers of the Hunters are granted greater prowess in light armours [read: non-heavy armours behave as though they have 0 ER] and plentiful tools for the hunt [ammo bundle and consumables gifting]. Later, they may evade the senses of complacent prey while in light armours [character gains a buff to stealth proportional to each monster in sight] and eventually they may temporarily be endowed with the siblings' own swiftness/agility.

The Hunters Bjaforfiq like it when you explore and when you take glorious trophies.

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Apr 30, 2018

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Playing gooncrawl, is it just me or does the harp of healing seems particularly overtuned at present? With a modest amount of evocations it seems to basically be an infinite supply of stronger heal wounds potions. The one run I did that went through extended, it effortlessly out healed every single hell/pan rune lord.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Einwand posted:

Playing gooncrawl, is it just me or does the harp of healing seems particularly overtuned at present? With a modest amount of evocations it seems to basically be an infinite supply of stronger heal wounds potions.

It's a bit much, yeah

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
einwand stop leaving murderous ghosts to end my miserable lives

Lost and Delusional
Aug 27, 2010
Looking at how the voting turned out, it looks like a lot of people want the repel missiles spell back in. That by itself is cool, but the problem I see is that having it back makes scarves of repel missiles way less valuable. It is a low level enough spell that anyone casting will probably pick it up like they did in the old days. With that in mind, should the scarves get some sort of buff or change to differ them from the spell that they were supposed to just be a straight replacement for?

Edit: Also just spit balling for the Sif rework, what about being able to to invoke Sif to allow you to cast spells from your spell library without having memorized them. The mana cost could be increased, maybe based on the level of the spell, and training invocations lowers it. Kinda plays into Sif's whole thing about being the generalist magic god.

Lost and Delusional fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Apr 30, 2018

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Tollymain posted:

einwand stop leaving murderous ghosts to end my miserable lives

Xom thinks this is hilarious!

68673 | Zot:4 | Paralysed by a yellow draconian for 7 turns
68678 | Zot:4 | HP: 11/224 [yellow draconian annihilator/crystal spear (51)]
68679 | Zot:4 | Mangled by a white draconian

I had MR++++, how does a generic draconian finding a paralyze wand even have a success rate? :argh:

Einwand fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Apr 30, 2018

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lost and Delusional posted:

Looking at how the voting turned out, it looks like a lot of people want the repel missiles spell back in. That by itself is cool, but the problem I see is that having it back makes scarves of repel missiles way less valuable. It is a low level enough spell that anyone casting will probably pick it up like they did in the old days. With that in mind, should the scarves get some sort of buff or change to differ them from the spell that they were supposed to just be a straight replacement for?

Edit: Also just spit balling for the Sif rework, what about being able to to invoke Sif to allow you to cast spells from your spell library without having memorized them. The mana cost could be increased, maybe based on the level of the spell, and training invocations lowers it. Kinda plays into Sif's whole thing about being the generalist magic god.

Tangentially related; can somebody please explain to me the meaningful difference between Reflection and Repulsion? I couldn't figure out if reflect is just a straight up upgrade of repulsion or if there's some kind of advantage to the other.

Also it focuses me that one is a status effect and the other one is a trait like Sinv on the resists screen

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
reflection makes it so you have a chance of reflecting projectiles block with SH back at the source

repulsion, the mutation, gives you +EV and at tier 3 gives you repel missiles

learndb explains rMissiles as:

Reduces incoming missile to-hit roll (for evasion purposes only) *TO* a random amount between: 50% and 100% for penetrating beams, 0% and 100% for single-target missiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://pastebin.com/pwc3848M hey if you made a feature request recently that hasnt come up and isnt on this list sound off

• Locked thread