Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
ps: to date, I think I'm pretty accurate when I say do not trust food reviews of Chinese food by Japanese people who haven't traveled outside of Japan. To suit Japanese tastes they make Chinese food so loving bland.

*Exceptions are Gyoza, Nikuman, and Ramen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
There's actually been an outbreak of really good mapo/tantan places the past few years. This is the best of them that I've been to: https://foursquare.com/v/%E9%9B%B2%E6%9E%97%E5%9D%8A-%E7%A7%8B%E8%91%89%E5%8E%9F%E5%BA%97/4fc2de57e4b0fddecb988cf7

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

ntan1 posted:

ps: to date, I think I'm pretty accurate when I say do not trust food reviews of Chinese food by Japanese people who haven't traveled outside of Japan. To suit Japanese tastes they make Chinese food so loving bland.

*Exceptions are Gyoza, Nikuman, and Ramen

Because I'm a giant moron I've had Chinese food in Ikebukero every time I've been in Tokyo, and the places I went to were all p good. A Chinese friend of mine who lives in Tokyo told me there's a Sichuan placed called “杨” (Yang in Chinese, dunno the Japanese pronunciation) in Ikebukero which is pretty good but I never tried it.

The main one I did go to is the shengjian bao (pan fried, soup-filled dumplings) place right outside Ikebukero station. I was living in a part of China you can't get good shengjian bao at the time so it was a nice treat I couldn't get back home.

I would highly recommend this as you can't seem to find these things outside of the Shanghai area that are worth a drat, and this place was an exception.

It's called "永祥生煎" and it was run by a Shaghainese dude, so it was p legit. We talked for a bit the last time I was there and he was really confused why I would live in China so he seems to have his head on pretty straight.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Thx for the info -- I'm not surprised that with more chinese immigrants the actual chinese food is getting better.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

There's actually been an outbreak of really good mapo/tantan places the past few years. This is the best of them that I've been to: https://foursquare.com/v/%E9%9B%B2%E6%9E%97%E5%9D%8A-%E7%A7%8B%E8%91%89%E5%8E%9F%E5%BA%97/4fc2de57e4b0fddecb988cf7

Don’t trust this man when it comes to Chinese food.

He’s my super nice friend who I really care about.

But his views on mapo is absolutely garbage and the Sichuan Japanese mix restaurant was awful (Japan prices for bad Chinese)

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
The place he keeps going on about is this: https://tabelog.com/tokyo/A1309/A130903/13209784/

It's kind of a fusion place, like kaiseki but with Chinese ingredients/seasoning. Excellent restaurant, and last year they moved into a bigger place so it's not such a pain to get a table. Y'all should try it if you're ever in the neighborhood.

I do agree though, that tantanmen they had was not great.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Eat all the foods imo goonspeed

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I arrived back into the US yesterday after spending two weeks in Tokyo, Saitama, Kanagawa, and Ibaraki.
I've done a fair amount of traveling, but this is the first time I have felt no relief or felt glad to be home again.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Thanks for the suggestions earlier. I’m mapping thing so out now

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
e: completely wrong thread lol

Phone fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 22, 2018

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

caberham posted:

More like listen to Abe for food because Stringent will settle for any bad spicy Chinese food.

Just don’t go to Daiwa sushi

What's wrong with Daiwa sushi

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
was pretty subpar tbh, except the tuna

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Where should I go for sushi in Tokyo that I can either wait in line or a credit card concierge can get me in, then? I’m gonna try to have the hotel concierge get some resos once I book the hotel (soon) but would like some backup plans.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Just go to Kyubey and call it a day and stop being like every other nerd who has to use a credit card concierge and has to have the best sushi in the world at Sushi Saito. That's for the 70-100 price range.

If you want 30-40 just go to like zanmai near tsukiji or something and do the thing that I do and order 3 plates of tuna and not give any fucks.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
but I'm just gonna openly say that the sushi place in the bay area I go to every 2-3 weeks which even has my bottle-keep is better than daiwa

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I recommend Tsukiji Sushidai. You'll need to find it using that exact name since it's easy to get confused with the famous tourist spot inside the market.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ntan1 posted:

Just go to Kyubey and call it a day and stop being like every other nerd who has to use a credit card concierge and has to have the best sushi in the world at Sushi Saito. That's for the 70-100 price range.

Man, if you can get a reservation at Saito or Sugita or one of the heavies and can swing the bill you'd be crazy not to. That said, if you don't eat sushi a lot and have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get the reservations I agree it's not worth the stress.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
They dont accept reservations from non-regulars these days I thought.

And yeah, I understand and have gone to a couple of the heavies before, it's just that I live near San Francisco, where people currently cant shut up about getting reservations at Jiro or Saito. Sorry for the bias!!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ntan1 posted:

And yeah, I understand and have gone to a couple of the heavies before, it's just that I live near San Francisco, where people currently cant shut up about getting reservations at Jiro or Saito. Sorry for the bias!!

Further proof the Bay Area needs to sink into the sea under the weight of its own VC money.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
As if any was needed.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Has anyone set up Transferwise with their Japanese bank account? Seems like you need to send them a picture of your ID + Address and then receive registered mail to your address on the card so you can receive a PIN code. I'm not sure how it works in Japan but how strict are the postal guys in delivering the registered mail - do I actually have to be there or can a relative pick it up?

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
You can schedule a redelivery online or by phone if you miss it. They'll leave a missed delivery slip.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

sale on Banksy art posted:

You can schedule a redelivery online or by phone if you miss it. They'll leave a missed delivery slip.

Okay but what if I won't be back in Japan for an unknown amount of time? So wondering if the registered delivery is strict.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Busy Bee posted:

Okay but what if I won't be back in Japan for an unknown amount of time? So wondering if the registered delivery is strict.

I think that depends on the item/sender's instructions, but usually registered just means someone at the address has to sign for it. I think that's usually enough for address confirmations.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Or deliver everything to stringent’s house

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

You need to do a furikomi to send money with TransferWise so it’s pointless to set up until you’re in japan anyway.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I can do online furikomi.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

caberham posted:

Or deliver everything to stringent’s house

Especially stuff like body pillows and buttplugs.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We went to Ookunoshima (Hiroshima prefecture) on Saturday. It was a poison gas facility during the war and after all the people left, rabbits took over. Everyone brings rabbit food and just chills out feeding bunnies. I brought a whole bag full of weeds from our parking lot. (This article says 300, this weekend we were told 700.)
https://www.japanvisitor.com/japan-city-guides/okunoshima

There's a hotel and a beachside campground. No cars are allowed to drive around the island (you can still bring a car to the campground parking lot around the corner from the ferry pier) and there are bicycles to rent, including kid's bikes. You can easily ride around the whole island in 30 minutes.

It's just a 15 minute ferry ride from Takehara, Hiroshima or Omishima Island. We'll do camping and bbq next time, the beach looked so good and there were few mosquitoes because the rabbits keep the grass so short.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

The island also has the tallest pylon in all Japan. And some beautiful sunrises if you stay the night.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Knuc U Kinte posted:

You need to do a furikomi to send money with TransferWise so it’s pointless to set up until you’re in japan anyway.

How would it be pointless? It seems like according to Transferwise I just need to send them a scan of my MyNumber card with my address and then they will send me a PIN code via registered mail.

https://transferwise.com/help/article/2293460/verification/verification-for-jpy-transfers#/Process

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Okay, so I'm back from 11 days in Tokyo. I had a fantastic time, and everything was either as expected or even cooler. One thing stood out though.

We ended a few nights by going to Toho IMAX, and I have to ask you cause this confused me: What the hell is wrong with Japanese audience that makes them sit through the credits roll in dead silence without making a move for the exit? Seriously, it was creepy as gently caress. It felt like being surrounded by psychopaths. The lights didn't even turn on, so clearly this madness was cinema sanctioned.

Is it that thing same thing as where Japanese don't want to leave before the elders like at workplaces, or is it some misplaced reverence for the dudes in the credits? At home in Norway it goes like it pretty much does everywhere, I imagine. The lights turn on at the credits, and everyone crams through the doors all at once. In Japan, it didn't seem to have anything with the audience demographic either. We saw The Post, Infinity War and Ready Player One, so we got a pretty wide spectrum of ages and gender represented, and barely anyone left with us when we stumbled around in the dark, trying to find the exits during the credits.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Apr 30, 2018

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Please respect 3000 years of Japanese culture and history.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Donnerberg posted:

Okay, so I'm back from 11 days in Tokyo. I had a fantastic time, and everything was either as expected or even cooler. One thing stood out though.

We ended a few nights by going to Toho IMAX, and I have to ask you cause this confused me: What the hell is wrong with Japanese audience that makes them sit through the credits roll in dead silence without making a move for the exit? Seriously, it was creepy as gently caress. It felt like being surrounded by psychopaths. The lights didn't even turn on, so clearly this madness was cinema sanctioned.

Is it that thing same thing as where Japanese don't want to leave before the elders like at workplaces, or is it some misplaced reverence for the dudes in the credits? At home in Norway it goes like it pretty much does everywhere, I imagine. The lights turn on at the credits, and everyone crams through the doors all at once. In Japan, it didn't seem to have anything with the audience demographic either. We saw The Post, Infinity War and Ready Player One, so we got a pretty wide spectrum of ages and gender represented, and barely anyone left with us when we stumbled around in the dark, trying to find the exits during the credits.

Ugh people making a show of respect for artists just loving sickens me, these people must be psychopaths.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Guys the other day I went to a concert and after a song was done all the sudden EVERY SINGLE PERSON in the room started slapping their hands together. It was so loud. Is this some weird ritual?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

LimburgLimbo posted:

Ugh people making a show of respect for artists just loving sickens me, these people must be psychopaths.

Shut up.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

I would be more respectful if I understood what the hell was going through their heads, but since I didn't, it was weird and uncomfortable. 99% of my Tokyo experience was a positive and fun time. This whole cinema thing was the 1% that felt like being on an alien planet.

Judging from the poster trying to spin this as a thing that makes sense, I'll assume he's Japanese and this whole staring at a credits list in silence for 5-15 minutes thing is a reverence thing then. I apologize for insulting you by generalization. You guys have a weird and dumb cinema habit, but please, you do you.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 30, 2018

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Donnerberg posted:

I would be more respectful if I understood what the hell was going through their heads, but since I didn't, it was weird and uncomfortable. 99% of my Tokyo experience was a positive and fun time. This whole cinema thing was the 1% that felt like being on an alien planet.

Judging from the poster trying to spin this as a thing that makes sense, I'll assume he's Japanese and this whole staring at a credits list in silence for 5-15 minutes thing is a reverence thing then.

Think of it like this; what makes Japan so great in many ways is how people are (in general) respectful to those around them and their environment. It makes things very orderly and clean; things are done a certain way, and people more or less unselfishly follow those principles.

Showing respect to the creators of movies is just an extension of that.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Yeah, I can see how you get there. I'm just surprised that it hasn't fallen out of habit. It's a sign of respect that no one other than the audience sees.

Then again, I've heard American audiences applaud at the end of movies, and that's equally weird to me... I guess I'll end it there. Thanks for explaining.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Apr 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

LimburgLimbo posted:

Think of it like this; what makes Japan so great in many ways is how people are (in general) respectful to those around them and their environment. It makes things very orderly and clean; things are done a certain way, and people more or less unselfishly follow those principles.

Showing respect to the creators of movies is just an extension of that.

No, that isn't why, it's just an abject fear of being embarrassed by not doing what everyone else is.