Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Like, I'm pretty sure SA never stopped anyone from being furries or bronies or having weird fetishes or drawing Sonic/Warhammer 40k fancomics. It just made them hate SA for being full of holier-than-thou bullies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Like, I'm pretty sure SA never stopped anyone from being furries or bronies or having weird fetishes or drawing Sonic/Warhammer 40k fancomics. It just made them hate SA for being full of holier-than-thou bullies.

That's fine, as long as they aren't on SA.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

But what is the line between holier-than thou bullying and calling out toxcicty?

The former is something SA is quite guilty of i'll agree, but latter is also something that I'm curious about.

I don't care if a community develops around something odd or different, but if it harbours and defends extremely deviant behaviour and uses the shield of ostracisation and playing the victum to defend to do so.... how then is it possible to call said community out.

A hyper bullying toxic environment can exist, but by that logic, can't a hyper victim toxic environment? (I'm talking about the idea of the toxicvictim mentality, that a person is a victim and everything/one else is to blame)

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
yeah it's tumblr

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Foul Ole Ron posted:

A hyper bullying toxic environment can exist, but by that logic, can't a hyper victim toxic environment? (I'm talking about the idea of the toxicvictim mentality, that a person is a victim and everything/one else is to blame)

You've just describes incels.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

yep, thats incels.

maybe those special furries whose past lives are dragons or unicorns? but thats like what 10 idiots tops. there are probably more than a thousand self-proclaimed incels.

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 14:37 on Apr 28, 2018

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
So these two types of extreme exist, logically there is a balanced community?

One where people are accepted and things can be accepted, but common sense based limits.

Like is there some place online where a community works in the bounds of common sense and reasonable justification?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Foul Ole Ron posted:

So these two types of extreme exist, logically there is a balanced community?

One where people are accepted and things can be accepted, but common sense based limits.

Like is there some place online where a community works in the bounds of common sense and reasonable justification?

theres probably some ezboard community someone made in like 2005 still going thats like that but I think once a certain amount of people become part of a community similar things happen to it

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

purple death ray posted:

theres probably some ezboard community someone made in like 2005 still going thats like that but I think once a certain amount of people become part of a community similar things happen to it

I would guess the next logical step for such a place would be either embrace it.

Or, which is probably best, banhammer until balance is restored.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

purple death ray posted:

good god imagine if that weird hidden forum with the gross flirting thread had attracted more secret visitors

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

why the gently caress did this thread descend into poorly-spelled amateur goon sociology

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

why the gently caress did this thread descend into poorly-spelled amateur goon sociology

Let's be honest, how many threads don't?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

there might be some typos but it doesnt seem that poorly spelled to me

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm pretty sure the most hyper-toxic communities are victimhood ones, since anything is justified in the righteous struggle against your oppressors.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm pretty sure the most hyper-toxic communities are victimhood ones, since anything is justified in the righteous struggle against your oppressors.

its not about the struggle. those toxic communities are staying home (at least until someone snaps i guess)

its about the weird communal reinforcement of the victimhood.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Because I'm poo poo at grammer? Also isn't the greatest saga of SA the effect its had on others?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Most right wing communities also fall under victimhood
As they think that being called out for constant seething hatred of minorities, usually based on the most idiotic made up poo poo, is oppression.

Been browsing subReddits of course.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah. I mean there are real groups of people who have been and still are victims of society, but even for these groups of people, dwelling on and obsessing about your victimhood isn't healthy and often isn't very productive. Once you get into this mindset, you start to see injustices against you everywhere and tilt at windmills.

I am reminded of a trans poster on this site who is very fond of posting about her victimhood complaining about how being given stock from one of the world's wealthiest and most successful companies as a part of her compensation for being a computer programmer was a form of injustice against her, lol

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
A bad poo poo post.

Foul Ole Ron has a new favorite as of 18:14 on Apr 28, 2018

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

silence_kit here to tell us all about the true victims

white men who aren't allowed to post online without being punished

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

silence_kit posted:

Yeah. I mean there are real groups of people who have been and still are victims of society, but even for these groups of people, dwelling on and obsessing about your victimhood isn't healthy and often isn't very productive. Once you get into this mindset, you start to see injustices against you everywhere and tilt at windmills.

I am reminded of a trans poster on this site who is very fond of posting about her victimhood complaining about how being given stock from one of the world's wealthiest and most successful companies as a part of her compensation for being a computer programmer was a form of injustice against her, lol

literally not the same

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Krankenstyle posted:

literally not the same

Obviously communities formed around a false and delusional victim hood are the most harmful. Duh. There’s not a lot to say or argue about there.

But you don’t see what I’m saying? In the case of legitimate injustice, it is obviously prudent to be aware and not ignorant of slights against yourself, but the victim mentality is usually not productive or healthy.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Picking an actual victimized group as your example is literally the worst way to prove your point.

Wait I didn’t see your other point that even being a victim isnt enough for you Jesus. Your just a lost cause.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

:thunk:

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

lmao

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

You should stop.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

silence_kit posted:

Obviously communities formed around a false and delusional victim hood are the most harmful. Duh. There’s not a lot to say or argue about there.

But you don’t see what I’m saying? In the case of legitimate injustice, it is obviously prudent to be aware and not ignorant of slights against yourself, but the victim mentality is usually not productive or healthy.

follow your leader.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Foul Ole Ron posted:

One thing SA has done right is mocking/taking the piss/shaming deviant behaviour.

Yes it can be argued it went too far at times... but looking at the state of the internet at the moment, it was not enough.

I have been reading the geek fallacies idea again they really hold an air of truth in today's Internet.

Sometimes I wonder if the net needs it's own helldump site, a place where Internet sites, forums and posters are called on their poo poo.

The big difference between SomethingAwful and the rest of the internet is that we're pretty self-aware. We know exactly what we are, why we are that way, and what the ramifications of it are.

The interesting thing about the Geek Fallacy stuff is that not only is it true that these fallacies exist but the people who push it the hardest in their communities are often super toxic people that have been pushed out elsewhere. The fact that SA actively removes its worst members is part of why the community has actually survived. This is also one of the differences between like Facebook, Reddit, and SA; the former two have been actively trying to get as many users as possible the consequences of that be damned because they're businesses. Sr. Lowtax has stated that he's never run this place like a business and never will; he doesn't want as many users as possible as as much profit as possible just isn't the goal. It'd probably be to his and SA's benefit to think in a businessy way at least partially so he can afford better insurance for the next time his body decides to hate him but still...it's a totally different philosophy.

If you haven't watched it yet go watch Lowtax's lecture at a college

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYrz_1hV0OU&t=3858s

The main point is that the internet concentrates things. There's effectively an infinite amount of communities out there so people that want to be victims find communities of victims to reinforce that. Meanwhile people that want to be trolls find communities of trolls to reinforce that. One of the reasons the internet is so incredibly toxic is because you have entire communities of people (hello, 4Chan!) encouraging each other to be as terrible as they possibly can. This is also why America is polarizing; it's so easy to find a hug box that will reinforce all of your beliefs and never, ever challenge them in any way. People who do challenge the beliefs of the community are cast out.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

the greatest sagas of the SA forums: toxic toxic toxic toxic, toxic toxic, toxic? Toxic.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Pham Nuwen posted:

the greatest sagas of the SA forums: toxic toxic toxic toxic, toxic toxic, toxic? Toxic.

also puckins

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Favorite recent forums saga has to be when windows98, a shovel-wielding idiot everybody hates, wrote a big middle-school-english-class essay about Why He Would Make A Good Mod and posted it in QCS. He was mocked by pretty much everyone but apparently the mods thought that writing a few paragraphs where you pretend you're smart and not insane means that greatness lies within you because they came up with a bizarre plan to make him some kind of secret mod who could probate and ban people but someone else's name would show up in the lepers colony. This very strange plan fell apart because windows98 immediately ran to gbs and made a thread bragging that he was going to be a mod soon. The mods came to their senses and kicked him to the curb, and the rest of the thread was everyone ragging on windows98 and wondering why anyone thought he was mod material.

In conclusion, don't give psychotic idiots the role of forums gestapo.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Stexils posted:

Favorite recent forums saga has to be when windows98, a shovel-wielding idiot everybody hates, wrote a big middle-school-english-class essay about Why He Would Make A Good Mod and posted it in QCS. He was mocked by pretty much everyone but apparently the mods thought that writing a few paragraphs where you pretend you're smart and not insane means that greatness lies within you because they came up with a bizarre plan to make him some kind of secret mod who could probate and ban people but someone else's name would show up in the lepers colony. This very strange plan fell apart because windows98 immediately ran to gbs and made a thread bragging that he was going to be a mod soon. The mods came to their senses and kicked him to the curb, and the rest of the thread was everyone ragging on windows98 and wondering why anyone thought he was mod material.

In conclusion, don't give psychotic idiots the role of forums gestapo.

A single admin, Lowtax's wife, was the only person who thought making him a mod was a good idea. We, being pretty much all of the other mods and admins, were all extremely pissed off when some random idiot started buying us all avs complaining about it, and it took a while for us and for his behavior to convince her that this is a bad idea.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

A single admin, Lowtax's wife, was the only person who thought making him a mod was a good idea. We, being pretty much all of the other mods and admins, were all extremely pissed off when some random idiot started buying us all avs complaining about it, and it took a while for us and for his behavior to convince her that this is a bad idea.

I tend to blur that sequence of events into the whole "D&D got very mad and powercucked Lowtax off his own forums" saga, but my memory is hazy and I am very dumb.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
a goon won a NASCAR race

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZtFosJYza0

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Do you mean goon in the metaphorical sense or in the "Posts on the Something Awful Forums" sense because I can see it either way

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Do you mean goon in the metaphorical sense or in the "Posts on the Something Awful Forums" sense because I can see it either way

latter

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Acebuckeye13 posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=96275

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The big difference between SomethingAwful and the rest of the internet is that we're pretty self-aware. We know exactly what we are, why we are that way, and what the ramifications of it are.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

It makes sense that if a Goon were going to win something, it would be in Literally the Worst Sport, with the Possible Exception of Golf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

I genuinely laughed my rear end off, this gif is brilliant.