Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q6UXVX9HGg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/LdPDZMg.mp4
Probably prehistoric, but I love it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5b3g1ISviQ

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 28, 2018

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I met a cute baby African Grey at a pet store today. He is about 10 months old and already clever. He was chilling in his cage (it was properly sized and plenty of toys in case you were wondering). I walked over to talk to him and he ran over to the cage door and started picking at the latch as if to tell me to let him out. He stuck his beak in between the bars so I could rub it. I scritched him the best I could. He played with my finger a little bit, not biting hard at all. He likes people so I assume he does get time out of his cage. I talked to him for a while but I had to go. As I walked away, he yelled 'heyyyy' at me so I'd come back. It worked and I was there for a few more minutes. If they weren't asking $4K and I weren't in my late 30's, I'd have been awfully tempted to go home with him today.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

I met a cute baby African Grey at a pet store today. He is about 10 months old and already clever. He was chilling in his cage (it was properly sized and plenty of toys in case you were wondering). I walked over to talk to him and he ran over to the cage door and started picking at the latch as if to tell me to let him out. He stuck his beak in between the bars so I could rub it. I scritched him the best I could. He played with my finger a little bit, not biting hard at all. He likes people so I assume he does get time out of his cage. I talked to him for a while but I had to go. As I walked away, he yelled 'heyyyy' at me so I'd come back. It worked and I was there for a few more minutes. If they weren't asking $4K and I weren't in my late 30's, I'd have been awfully tempted to go home with him today.

There really should be a bird version of

Spare-Ohs
Mar 30, 2011
Romans Parrot and Toy Empire has got baby cockatiels in. They have such big eyes and stubby little feathers! :kimchi:

I'm still waiting for Britney to get baby conures in. Being patient is harrrrrd.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

hoooolllyyyy ssshhhiiiitttttt everyone has baby birds right now

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Spare-Ohs posted:

Romans Parrot and Toy Empire has got baby cockatiels in. They have such big eyes and stubby little feathers! :kimchi:

I'm still waiting for Britney to get baby conures in. Being patient is harrrrrd.
ffff look at it :3:

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

$4k?! Wow, is that how much parrots go for?

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

That's how much greys go for.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

If it had x factor, even a little, start multiplying whole integers

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

aww! So cute! Max the Senegal tolerates his budgie friends but I sometimes wonder if he'd like a buddy his size. My husband would never allow it though. :(

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ama has a fluffy butt.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Cythereal posted:

From PYF, another reason I will not have a bird.

https://i.imgur.com/AaoDRp2.mp4

I was in hospital for a few weeks, and when I got home there was a brand new mouse still in its packaging sitting on my desk. Everyday Goast explained that when she turned around for a second, Taco wrecked her mouse, so she stole mine and bought me a replacement.

This has happened at least 3 times I think.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvdpUrhhcrY#t=237s

shamelessly stolen from the just birds thread in PYF...I've watched this 3 times and I think its my new favorite movie :3:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/6SWq3cH.mp4

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

What. The. Hell.

Is that a known behaviour with birbs?!

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I think it's a lovebird thing. It's how they carry back material foraged for nesting material, I believe.

I'm just mostly fascinated by the Zellers flyer. There haven't been Zellers in, what, five years now?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes birds just want fancy butts.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, it's a nest building behaviour. Put bits of leaves/grass/bark in your butt, take it back to nest, unload to make lovely place to lay an egge. Very common in lovebirds, especially girls of breeding age, but boys will do it too. They're not as uniform and quick as the girls though. I want to teach Crouton how to do a little typewriter DING! when she gets to the end of a strip.

Horn of Arby's
May 30, 2004
what? no catfood?
https://imgur.com/a/UtXGpAI.jpg

Water is the purest of conure tamers.

Horn of Arby's fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 30, 2018

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I always thought it had to do with makin' yourself pretty to get some gently caress, but it's cool to learn it's how they get stuff back to make a nest.

https://twitter.com/Nuts0634/status/989860068018417664

cute birb

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
'Tiel talk

Tito doesn't like toys or anything like that. He has this little ball thing, which he absolutely hates. When i put the ball next to him he hisses at throws it the hell away.

He does like hiding in things. (crappy pic alert)

Also, he smells like watermelon.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Putin found a new place to hide today.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Veritas posted:

'Tiel talk

Tito doesn't like toys or anything like that. He has this little ball thing, which he absolutely hates. When i put the ball next to him he hisses at throws it the hell away.

He does like hiding in things. (crappy pic alert)

Also, he smells like watermelon.

Cockatiels in stealth mode (ghost mode) are the funniest things ever.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
And yet when you want them in a nice comfy box to transport them they will not oblige

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Who is a good little fussy potato?

You are!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Aaaaa I want to bury my nose in his feathers :3:

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I keep trying to take more Bandit photos but then she runs on top of my head and quacks triumphantly

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

nielsm posted:

Putin found a new place to hide today.

Putin huh?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

artichoke posted:

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

aww! So cute! Max the Senegal tolerates his budgie friends but I sometimes wonder if he'd like a buddy his size. My husband would never allow it though. :(

Have you ever seen the movie Stepbrothers? That's these two. There was a lot of wary animosity (from Charlie) and overeager curiosity (from Ama) at first but now they're besties. They spend all day talking to each other in a crazy blend of conure and Senegal and bad English, and sitting on me or on top of their respective cages enjoying the company and whatever music I'm playing (their current fixation is trying to sit actually right next to each other but I don't quite trust that idea yet). When they're both caged they just sit in the closest corners to each other and blow kisses or talk or preen or just watch what the other guy's up to.

Whenever Ama gets alarmed by something Charlie starts telling him "it's okay. S'okay." An alarmed or worried conure sound immediately makes the Sennie stop what he's doing to look over and make sure he's okay. Their relationship is super adorable and totally unexpected.

Of course now I have two birds launching themselves after me if I take five steps away from the cages.

They're lucky they're so drat cute. :argh:

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Have you ever seen the movie Stepbrothers? That's these two. There was a lot of wary animosity (from Charlie) and overeager curiosity (from Ama) at first but now they're besties. They spend all day talking to each other in a crazy blend of conure and Senegal and bad English, and sitting on me or on top of their respective cages enjoying the company and whatever music I'm playing (their current fixation is trying to sit actually right next to each other but I don't quite trust that idea yet). When they're both caged they just sit in the closest corners to each other and blow kisses or talk or preen or just watch what the other guy's up to.

Whenever Ama gets alarmed by something Charlie starts telling him "it's okay. S'okay." An alarmed or worried conure sound immediately makes the Sennie stop what he's doing to look over and make sure he's okay. Their relationship is super adorable and totally unexpected.

Of course now I have two birds launching themselves after me if I take five steps away from the cages.

They're lucky they're so drat cute. :argh:

Oh...that is so cute!! I'm still wanting to get another conure....hopefully this year but definitely (probably) next year. How were the introductions and how did you do it? I'm going to go thru the same lady who raised Cricket so she can come with and see the baby, (if its allowed), but I'm just concerned about once we are home.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Disco Salmon posted:

Oh...that is so cute!! I'm still wanting to get another conure....hopefully this year but definitely (probably) next year. How were the introductions and how did you do it? I'm going to go thru the same lady who raised Cricket so she can come with and see the baby, (if its allowed), but I'm just concerned about once we are home.

LAB and I were roommates for a few months so Ama and Charlie shared a room and it just sort of naturally happened. I think a few things helped. One is that both of them are 7-8 years old or so and Charlie has especially mellowed out over the years. The other is LAB did things like giving Charlie a treat whenever Ama got one in addition to socializing a lot with him while making it clear she wasn't gonna let him bully her. This is in contrast to my friends who got bit a ton when Charlie went through puberty so obviously show fear whenever they're around him. So I think the combination of associating Ama getting treats with him getting treats and LAB befriending him helped a lot. Of course what happened is that Charlie fell in love with both of them and while my relationship with him was fine I didn't really want to separate them when they moved and here we are.

LAB can probably speak more to what she did but that's my general impression.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

My coworkers were talking about how if a bird poops on you, you gotta buy a lottery ticket, because that's really lucky.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

You only win the scratch offs FYI

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Crouton's internal egg making apparati are apparently abnormal, so she's on a short term hormone injection while tests get done and then probably the implant.

Eggs! :argh:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
In the republic of Georgia stepping on a cow turd means you will become rich. I did and am by Georgian standards.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Budgie sitting on the edge of my cereal bowl, plucking special k out and eating just tiny bits before dropping the whole thing. Eying the milk suspiciously, please do not try to bathe in the milk.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Crouton is hopped up on bird drugs and chillis.

Aside from her hosed up internal reproductive system, Crouton is apparently happy and healthy and A Goode Birbe. She was well behaved at the vet despite being poked and prodded and manhandled and getting two injections. The vet likes her but she is suspicious of the vet (because of all the poking and prodding).

Neither of them need sunny seeds to be held in view to do "Come Here", hooray.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Taco the Wonderbird died last night.

She was acting fine when I got home from work, and when Everyday Goast got home too. When we were doing the dishes later on that evening we noticed she was acting a bit lethargic and not looking good so we packed her in her cage and took her to the 24 hour emergency vet near our house. She got much worse really quickly (its about a 15 minute drive at most), and when we were waiting for the vet she had a seizure in my hands while I was holding her and died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
RIP beautiful Taco bird :smith: Absolutely gutted for you :(