Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
People have been positioning themselves as anti-PC firebrands for 30 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

it's ironic because political correctness used to mean "slavishly following your party line without regard for moral substance" and then the rightwing took it and made it a parody

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

PC culture doesn't seem that bad when it just means not being an rear end in a top hat racist, sexist, or misogynist. Maybe the people that want to be assholes should go die in a ditch. That's just me though, hot take.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mu Zeta posted:

PC culture doesn't seem that bad when it just means not being an rear end in a top hat racist, sexist, or misogynist. Maybe the people that want to be assholes should go die in a ditch. That's just me though, hot take.

maybe seeing the opposition as racist, sexist assholes is the bigger problem, especially when the PC side has their male feminists routinely outed as sexual predators

also using "sexist and misogynist" is redundant when referring to males

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aramek posted:

I've said it before, but I try really hard to not be racist and sexist, but you'll all take my classism and ableism from my cold, dead hands.

Classism is correct. The rich are largely lazy, ignorant, inbred assholes whose deaths should not be mourned.

There are some good ones, I'm sure.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

spit on my clit posted:

maybe seeing the opposition as racist, sexist assholes is the bigger problem, especially when the PC side has their male feminists routinely outed as sexual predators

also using "sexist and misogynist" is redundant when referring to males

I don't see how a sexual predator can be defined as politically correct. By sexist I mean people that are against trans.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't see how a sexual predator can be defined as politically correct. By sexist I mean people that are against trans.

what i am saying is that a lot of men that claim to be in the politically correct crowd (example: dan harmon) usually get outed as a sexual predator. in response to the second sentence, I still would have left out misogynist, as females are also a sex for these men to be sexist against

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

spit on my clit posted:

I'm not exactly sure if this is a popular or unpopular opinion, but I feel that the "Politically Correct" culture has been inflating to the point where it's become obnoxious enough, and now everyone's fed up with it interfering with how they want to live their lives. I think that'd explain people going against the grain in recent years, doing stuff they know isn't the best option, but doing it just to try and give a takedown towards the PC crowds, see Brexit and the American 2016 election results. They know the storm that will result from those options, but to them they would prefer to wade through that storm rather than standing by and letting the "everything is political and if you do not have the popular political opinion" mindset take over their identities. Every time a brexit or a trump happens, all we hear from the opposition is "How did this happen", like they honestly don't see that there is an opposing side that's fed up with their politics.

I did a search on Twitter for "free speech" and one of the first results was tweet saying that the phrase "free speech" was an Alt-Right dog whistle.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Canemacar posted:

I did a search on Twitter for "free speech" and one of the first results was tweet saying that the phrase "free speech" was an Alt-Right dog whistle.

I mean, it frequently is

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

spit on my clit posted:

what i am saying is that a lot of men that claim to be in the politically correct crowd (example: dan harmon) usually get outed as a sexual predator. in response to the second sentence, I still would have left out misogynist, as females are also a sex for these men to be sexist against

A lot of men who are opposed to the politically correct crowd (example: da fricken president) are eventually outed as sexual predators.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

spit on my clit posted:

Guy Goodbody posted:

A lot of men who are opposed to the politically correct crowd (example: da fricken president) are eventually outed as sexual predators.

All roads lead back to "kill all men".

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Guy Goodbody posted:

Right, but the president is basically proud of being a sexual predator (as is pretty much every right wing sex pest), the male "feminists" are explicitly pretending to be allies to prey on women. If you can't see why the latter is a more pressing concern, then you're part of the problem.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

MizPiz posted:

Right, but the president is basically proud of being a sexual predator (as is pretty much every right wing sex pest), the male "feminists" are explicitly pretending to be allies to prey on women. If you can't see why the latter is a more pressing concern, then you're part of the problem.

They're both bad, no doubt. But the President is the President of the United States of America. To say that like, Lana del Raytheon is a bigger issue that the President is crazy. Just to be clear, both bad, but "the president is a rapist" is an extremely pressing concern, imo

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Whitlam posted:

All roads lead back to "kill all men".

Transphobe.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

spit on my clit posted:

maybe seeing the opposition as racist, sexist assholes is the bigger problem
Which is the bigger problem; racism, or making people feel bad for being racist? It's a conundrum, that's for sure. :downs:

MizPiz posted:

I guess I'm part of the problem then because they both seem pretty bad to me. :shrug:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Tiggum posted:

I guess I'm part of the problem then because they both seem pretty bad to me. :shrug:

They are both bad, but one of them was a minor twitter celebrity who lost status and credibility as a result of the accusations and one of them was elevated to the most powerful office in the world despite bragging about sexual assault.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They are both bad, but one of them was a minor twitter celebrity who lost status and credibility as a result of the accusations and one of them was elevated to the most powerful office in the world despite bragging about sexual assault.

I meant as broad classes, ie. the open and proud misogynists vs. the false feminists who are secretly shitheads. They're both reflective of the same underlying issue, that men can get away with being really lovely for a really long time and a large number of people will continue to support them in spite of it. Individual cases may be more or less worthy of attention, but the underlying social problem is the real issue worthy of the most attention.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
My point was that the male feminist daywalkers were the more important threat over the out and out misogynist. While your average Trump supporter is objectively more dangerous to women, the fake allies create fissures between women and men who legitimately care about civil rights, making opposition to the patriarchy all that much more difficult.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

They both prove the same point.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Dress shirts where the shirt is one color and the collar is another are objectively terrible looking and are exclusively used to signal class/status rather than to competently or appealingly complete an ensemble.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Pastry of the Year posted:

Dress shirts where the shirt is one color and the collar is another are objectively terrible looking and are exclusively used to signal class/status rather than to competently or appealingly complete an ensemble.

I've seen the blue shirt+white collar combination that on certain people looks OK but it'd probably look a lot better if it was just one color. Every other combination just looks stupid and I would think a high quality solid-colored shirt would signal your class/status more effectively than something you clearly bought just to look "different".

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

White color/cuffs on a patterned shirt looks good.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The example that popped into my mind that I was trying to think of was Gordon Gekko in the first wallstreet and I guess he could have been wearing it for status or something since it fits his character but I still think it looked decent more than "oh that guy must be high-class" or whatever.

e: also who keeps buying me rear end avatars, give me the cat back please

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 13:16 on Apr 25, 2018

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It's a middle-class, yuppie, 'new money' thing.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

sassassin posted:

yeah I eat rear end posted:

who keeps buying me rear end avatars, give me the cat back please

It's a middle-class, yuppie, 'new money' thing.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

yeah I eat rear end posted:

e: also who keeps buying me rear end avatars, give me the cat back please

"You're totally asking for it" is usually a disgusting and insensitive thing to say to someone

Usually

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

MizPiz posted:

"You're totally asking for it" is usually a disgusting and insensitive thing to say to someone

Usually

I didn't ask for the rear end eating mantle, it was thrust upon me.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

Pastry of the Year posted:

It's called "power clashing", you plebs.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

MizPiz posted:

My point was that the male feminist daywalkers were the more important threat over the out and out misogynist. While your average Trump supporter is objectively more dangerous to women, the fake allies create fissures between women and men who legitimately care about civil rights, making opposition to the patriarchy all that much more difficult.

Again, when that out and out misogynist/sex predator is the president of the United States of America I think it’s ok to see that as a pressing issue and to say that those who think so are “part of the problem” is some circular firing squad bullshit.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I think Janelle Monae is overrated. I know this comes from the particular fact that when I first heard about her, she was sold to me as Afrofuturism, which is a terrible way to describe her music except for the fact that it's about robots. Janelle Monae's music doesn't even sound futuristic in comparison to the Afrofuturist icons of the past, let alone in the 2010s; it just sounds like Prince's radio singles (aside from the voice), and I can just listen to Prince's radio singles if I want that vibe. If the music of the future is going to sound like faithful recreations of the 80s, drop the bombs now.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

This is going to sound like stdh, but I've seen someone wearing that shirt once. He came into my work and said that our consultation process for this major project was "like being asked if you want to be raped with lube or without." He's a white guy in his 50s with a ponytail. I still have to meet with him on occasion.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
That comic reminds me that TERFs are also the fault of the Patriarchy. They're still wrong, but we know why they're wrong at least.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
That comic reminds me that I could work a less qualified job for more money

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
That comic is made by a neonazi.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Steroids should be allowed in the Olympics. Blood doping, HGH, any and every chemical improvement you want to make to yourself. In the future, when cyborg parts become better than our own human limbs, those should be allowed too. As far as I'm concerned, the only qualifier should be that every aspiring Olympian has to appear before a panel of ten randomly chosen people, and if a majority of them are willing to call you still recognizably human, you're in.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Sports are a healthy and good thing for society. Cheering for Are Team is a substitute for cheering for Are Country but without the part that involves nationalism, racism, or the possibility of wars. And humans love cheering for things.

Also Michael Jordan is the greatest athlete of all time and all Chicago teams are the best, except for soccer, in which case Paris Saint-Germain, or hockey, in which case habs.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 04:12 on Apr 29, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

People pray to god for "their" sportsball team to win. lol

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Sports are a healthy and good thing for society. Cheering for Are Team is a substitute for cheering for Are Country but without the part that involves racism,

lol no racism in sports, nosirree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007
It's thrilling to watch humans voluntarily smash into each other.