Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Bleck posted:

This, but applied to literally every RPG that's come out in the past...

*looks up when FFX came out*

...17 years.

Even freaken FFXIV (an MMO) has the sloooooooowest ramp up giving a player access to the combat system. Is there some play testing that shows a lot people need to be hand held this much or just this happened out of some stupid habit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I just powered through all the Joy-Con sections under "Discover" in my Labo Variety Kit (there were 22 topics) and I was pretty impressed. They're trying to teach kids real science there. It got up to high school or even college freshman level physics when they were talking about the accelerometer and gyroscope. There's legitimate educational content here. Way better than Mario Is Missing.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

LethalGeek posted:

Even freaken FFXIV (an MMO) has the sloooooooowest ramp up giving a player access to the combat system. Is there some play testing that shows a lot people need to be hand held this much or just this happened out of some stupid habit?

IIRC FF14's designed around the idea that a majority of the people playing it would be JRPG fans who've never played an MMO so it painstakingly goes over every aspect to make sure you get it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Policenaut posted:

IIRC FF14's designed around the idea that a majority of the people playing it would be JRPG fans who've never played an MMO so it painstakingly goes over every aspect to make sure you get it.

And lemme tell you, as someone who has played a bunch of FF14: None of that poo poo actually sticks and people are really bad at it.

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

I've had my Switch now for about 3 months and it's great. Here's some thoughts:

Breath of the Wild was the reason I got the system in the first place and it's everything I wanted it to be, but like other people have said, some proper dungeons would be fun. Don't get me wrong, the Divine Beasts were still cool.

Mario: Odyssey is a blast, but New Donk City just makes me want a new Jet Set Radio.

Kamiko is a fun little action game, just a little short and I don't see myself picking it up again soon.

Sonic Mania is just a cool update of the 2D Sonic games. If you've ever played those, you've played this.

Subsurface: Circular is cool, and uses the HD rumble really neatly. I enjoyed it until the logic puzzle near the end of the game. I loving hate logic puzzles.

Sky Rogue is way cool but I cannot for the life of me figure out the danger zone controls.

I can't wait for Donkey Kong, and Yoshi, and Hyrule Warriors, and I want to get Kirby, LA Noire, Doom, Mario Kart and is the Switch the best system? Yeah, probably.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Switch is like the only console Ive ever had where the console itself is something im excited about. For everything else when i got a new game the considerations were basically 'which one do my friends have' and for games its 'which version is the cheapest', but I'll pay a premium for the switch version of something without a second thought.

Edit: well i mean, unless it sucks

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 29, 2018

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

That’s because Nintendo and Apple as companies and their customers are the same.

THE loving MOON posted:

Except there isnt really a Switch equivalent made by anybody else :shrug:

True but even if it were a traditional console it’d be the same deal. Loving the walled garden and being told the company is always right :p

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 29, 2018

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

the difference is that nintendo is fun and apple is the reason I can't ask my bro for a spare charger

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Nintendo is like Apple if Apple's products weren't objectively inferior to the rest of the market. They still do the price-gouging and brand tax but their stuff does stuff that genuinely none of their competitors can do. Also their relationship with indies is kinda weird.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

In a lot of ways it is inferior but it makes up for it with well designed gimmicks and software. So the same .

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Switch has an audio jack. Nintendo does what Applon't :shepface:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Motto posted:

the difference is that nintendo is fun and apple is the reason I can't ask my bro for a spare charger

i charge my switch, macbook pro, and phone all with the same chargers tho- oh wait their phones are still stupid aren't they

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

THE loving MOON posted:

Switch has an audio jack. Nintendo does what Applon't :shepface:

But unfortunately the Pro Controllers don't.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I was at a target and saw the alabo sets and man it really is surprising how heavy the boxes are compared to how compact they are

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Calaveron posted:

I was at a target and saw the alabo sets and man it really is surprising how heavy the boxes are compared to how compact they are

Goon independently establishes the concept of density

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I’m about twelve hours into Xenoblade. It’s fine, it’s pretty, there’s too much stuff to learn, but the only thing I care about is if Rex gets a new costume.

His diving getup looks loving stupid.

And i realize the game is full of giant anime titties and furries and lasers and everything but it’s that drat costume that gets me.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
He does. Very late in the game though. Also its still basically a diving suit.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah I don't think you're gonna like his other costume any better

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hi it's me, the HD remake of the Metroid Prime trilogy Nintendo will surely announce at E3 alongside Metroid Prime 4 The Logo

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Just please, return the Metroid Prime 1 & 2 HD to the original Game Cube's perfect control scheme, and remove all of Prime 3's "Turn your hand to open the door knob! Pull your hand back to open a door that's stuck! Immersion!"

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

creationist believer posted:

Just please, return the Metroid Prime 1 & 2 HD to the original Game Cube's perfect control scheme, and remove all of Prime 3's "Turn your hand to open the door knob! Pull your hand back to open a door that's stuck! Immersion!"

There wasn't any of that in Metroid Prime 1 or 2, dude.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Infinitum posted:

Hi it's me, the HD remake of the Metroid Prime trilogy Nintendo will surely announce at E3
So, for a third time I'll make it though Prime 1, half way through Echoes before petering out and not touch Corruption.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I’m about twelve hours into Xenoblade. It’s fine, it’s pretty, there’s too much stuff to learn, but the only thing I care about is if Rex gets a new costume.

His diving getup looks loving stupid.

And i realize the game is full of giant anime titties and furries and lasers and everything but it’s that drat costume that gets me.

You mean the diving getup he actually uses for diving on a regular basis?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

THE loving MOON posted:

They were called the Nvidia Shield and PSP Vita.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Infinitum posted:

Hi it's me, the HD remake of the Metroid Prime trilogy Nintendo will surely announce at E3 alongside Metroid Prime 4 The Logo

Is there ever an E3 TOXX thread?

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

man nurse posted:

There wasn't any of that in Metroid Prime 1 or 2, dude.

Sorry, I meant remove the early Wii-era immersion controls from Prime 3, and also separately return Prime 1 and 2 to their original controls. Prime 1 and 2 had controls focused on platforming and exploration, and the combat was balanced around a system where you lock on to an enemy and shoot at the center of the screen, and the challenge was in dodging, platforming, and moving to expose weak points. The Trilogy controls for Prime 1 & 2 added an unnecessary minigame of holding the pointer in the center of the screen in most battles.

Not saying I probably wouldn't love a Prime 4 designed around BotW or Splatoon 2 gyro aiming, but I think the environments, enemies, and boss designs of Prime 1 & 2 worked best with lock on controls with a Game Cube controller, and "lock on + Wii Remote aiming" was a bad shoehorn in the Trilogy rerelease.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

creationist believer posted:

The Trilogy controls for Prime 1 & 2 added an unnecessary minigame of holding the pointer in the center of the screen in most battles.

You can turn this off, though? There's a 'Lock On / Free Aim' option added in the menu for Trilogy 1+2

And using the Wiimote to look around during movement is so much better than the drat right stick.

Sorry I get defensive, the Prime Trilogy controls are my favorite FPS controls of all time.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

You can turn this off, though? There's a 'Lock On / Free Aim' option added in the menu for Trilogy 1+2

And using the Wiimote to look around during movement is so much better than the drat right stick.

Sorry I get defensive, the Prime Trilogy controls are my favorite FPS controls of all time.

Imagine Prime trilogy with BotW style motion controller aiming

Rolo posted:

Is there ever an E3 TOXX thread?

Feel free to toxx your hopes and dreams

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Policenaut posted:

But unfortunately the Pro Controllers don't.

What other controller have audio jacks on them and what are they used for? I exclusively play with headphones but why would I need them for a controller?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Cmon info about the Switch Story of Seasons

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

What other controller have audio jacks on them and what are they used for? I exclusively play with headphones but why would I need them for a controller?

Aside from the simple answer of plugging them in to the controller to hear the audio localized in the headphones, which may be handy when you're trying to minimize noise in your house, you can also plug in headsets (or headphones with a voice mic attached) to do voice chat through them. For contemporary examples, both PS4 and Xbox One have them.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Before the PS4 was launched they were like “yeah we originally built the jack into the controller for multiplayer communication but said screw it and made it so you can send all
The audio through it” and that’s about when I knew the PS4 was gonna be something more than just a better PS3.

I really wish Nintendo had copied that like Microsoft did.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I liked free-aim in Metroid Prime. It made me feel like I was in more control since you could shoot other stuff other than the lock-on reticule

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

*crosses fingers*
at E3 some footage of Metroid and possibly some music to go with it

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

The entire metroid game will be scored by imagine dragons

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Before the PS4 was launched they were like “yeah we originally built the jack into the controller for multiplayer communication but said screw it and made it so you can send all
The audio through it” and that’s about when I knew the PS4 was gonna be something more than just a better PS3.

I really wish Nintendo had copied that like Microsoft did.

PS4 is just a better PS3

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Andrast posted:

PS4 is just a better PS3

Yeah, but like, a much, much, much better PS3.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Has anyone had any experience with the bugs in the new South Park? Apparently there's some game breaking bugs that softlock the game and/or delete save data. Wish I had discovered this before I bought it :/ I hope they get fixed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Which reminds me, I'd love to see metal gear revengeance on the switch now (or even a proper sequel). Need more platinum games on the go.

• Locked thread