Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

JediTalentAgent posted:

I was about to say an adaptation of game Prototype. Doesn't it do something similar? But Sony's probably been wanting to do a Venom movie for quite a long time.

In Prototype the protagonist thinks he's infected with a virus but manage to wrest control enough to use it to fight back and, uh, eat people.

In reality he IS the virus and has assumed this identity to help kill humanity.

The second game has you playing a dude who actually is infected and is out to kill the first guy.

Prototype will always be a series I cherish because we will never get a good Venom/Carnage game otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
If you want to play Venom in a video game there’s always Ultimate Spider-Man. It’s super short though.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Zaphod42 posted:

He was really edgelord grimdark in the 90s. Everything in the 90s was edgelord grimdark and it was really popular.

See: Spawn, Rob Liefeld (deadpool, cable, etc.) the original TMNT, etc.

Mostly it was just an excuse to draw rad poo poo that teen boys thought was mega cool

rad poo poo that teen boys thought was mega cool

I admit I'm cheating because this is both a 2004 issue and a joint effort between Rob Liefeld and Mark Millar(another notorious edgy manchild) but it wouldn't be out of a place in the 90s

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
What was that from? It reads like an issue of The Boys.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i actually bought a carnage tpb 20 years ago but i think i sold it for ~25 cents in 2001

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Inzombiac posted:

In Prototype the protagonist thinks he's infected with a virus but manage to wrest control enough to use it to fight back and, uh, eat people.

In reality he IS the virus and has assumed this identity to help kill humanity.

The second game has you playing a dude who actually is infected and is out to kill the first guy.

Prototype will always be a series I cherish because we will never get a good Venom/Carnage game otherwise.

It's also the best The Thing simulator we'll ever get.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
This "The Other Side of the Door" movie is full of irritations, rational and otherwise. It's like someone read the plot summary of pet semetary and thought all they had to do to make it unique was change the native american "indians" to actual indians. It has some of the worst acting i've ever seen in a movie with a relatively high budget. There are so many lame jumpscares - it was almost more remarkable when the camera view shifted and there wasn't some spooky ghost.

The main irritation: if you know about a place where you can bring back the dead and understand how dangerous it can be, stop loving telling distraught parents about it. At least follow them to make sure they don't do the one thing you made them promise not to do.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

BioEnchanted posted:

What was that from? It reads like an issue of The Boys.

Youngblood: Bloodsport that I believe ran for exactly one issue

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Agent355 posted:

Absolutely agreed bu tthere are more fun and less fun ways to accomplish this and the 90s were a bit off base.

But the 90s brought us the Preacher series and Garth Ennis so it wasn't all bad!

And The Sandman.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watching DBZ Kai and man, the Buu arc just kind of drags. There's way too many episodes of someone fighting Buu, blasting him a bunch and then he just regenerates from any damage.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
More talk on Venom, I wonder if it is something partially left over from the Amazing Spider-Man reboot. Post-Avengers and pre-ASM2, Sony seemed to really pushing the notion of expanding whatever they could of the Spider-Man license and doing a lot of set-up for future characters.

Unlike Homecoming that had a LOT of connections to the MCU, I'm not sure if/what Venom is set to have.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Sony is still really hoping they can pull off a Spider-Man Cinematic Universe, there's a Silver Sable & Black Cat movie in production hell and no one believes it'll come out, but no one believed Venom would actually come out either so who knows.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Randalor posted:

I'm predicting the last line of Venom is going to be him stating "I am Venom".

Don't forget the smash cut to title card

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I'm predicting the last scene will just be doing the same as the Hulk film (Norton's or Lee's)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nick Fury comes in talking about the Avengers project?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Amanda Waller comes in and drafts Venom to Suicide Squad.

"You just got sold out to the DC Cinematic Universe, Brock..."

*Venom's jaw drops to the floor, literally*

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Nick Fury comes in talking about the Avengers project?

I've got some bad news for you.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

JediTalentAgent posted:

Unlike Homecoming that had a LOT of connections to the MCU, I'm not sure if/what Venom is set to have.

It won’t have any. Sony has nothing to do with the MCU beyond lending Disney the rights to Spider-Man for those movies.

Someone on twitter said they were imagining it as a movie about Wario where, for complex legal reasons, the existence of Mario is never acknowledged.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Henchman of Santa posted:

It won’t have any. Sony has nothing to do with the MCU beyond lending Disney the rights to Spider-Man for those movies.

Someone on twitter said they were imagining it as a movie about Wario where, for complex legal reasons, the existence of Mario is never acknowledged.

So, nearly all of the Wario games?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

JediTalentAgent posted:

Amanda Waller comes in and drafts Venom to Suicide Squad.

"You just got sold out to the DC Cinematic Universe, Brock..."

*Venom's jaw drops to the floor, literally*

*Tongue rolls out like a red carpet*

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I don’t like when cop shows/mysteries have multiple people explaining the crimes to the crooks. In Elementary, Sherlock starts off explaining stuff but at any moment, Watson or the cops will jump in with the next line and they start trading it back and forth.

Sherlock: so you bought the crisco can, like she normally does. Even at the same store.
Watson: but mrs Wong buys the 12 ounce can, not the 16 ounce can. So you threw it away the night before the trash gets picked up
Cop: but the trash gets picked up Friday on that block, not Thursday like it does two streets over at your apartment
Sherlock: which was how we found it earlier today with the blood traces on it

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

I don’t like when cop shows/mysteries have multiple people explaining the crimes to the crooks. In Elementary, Sherlock starts off explaining stuff but at any moment, Watson or the cops will jump in with the next line and they start trading it back and forth.

Sherlock: so you bought the crisco can, like she normally does. Even at the same store.
Watson: but mrs Wong buys the 12 ounce can, not the 16 ounce can. So you threw it away the night before the trash gets picked up
Cop: but the trash gets picked up Friday on that block, not Thursday like it does two streets over at your apartment
Sherlock: which was how we found it earlier today with the blood traces on it

I've been playing this game A Wolf Among Us. You play as a Dick Wolf :doink: and you have the option to say nothing while interrogating suspects.

This has been my experience as a detective. You don't really tell the suspects (or perps if you don't buy Ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat, cuz that's f** talk) what you know. Unless you're an Agatha Christie character and then you can switch it up.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

oldpainless posted:

I don’t like when cop shows/mysteries have multiple people explaining the crimes to the crooks.

More like Oldoverexplainless

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Torquemada posted:

More like Oldoverexplainless

I prefer to be as clear as possible and will excuse your rudeness

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
The Venom script leaks stated that yeah, Venom only becomes "Venom" riiight at the very end. To fight the bad government dude who infects himself with the "scream" symbiote. I think.

But Brock's clothes are actually the Symbiote itself, so shooting tendrils from his "shirt" is alright.

Canemacar posted:

I'm surprised no horror movie has tried to go past just found footage and used social media as a framing device.

Or maybe they have an I just haven't heard of one yet.

There was "Unfriended" which is done entirely via webcams as 6 friends chat on Facebook about a dead ghost girl who then picks them off one by one. It is hilariously shite and well worth a drunken watch with friends. Make it a double bill with "Wish Upon" if you really enjoy awful, awful teen horror that fails on every drat level.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Didn't that have a scene with some fat dude shoving his hand in a blender or something?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Drunken Baker posted:

The Venom script leaks stated that yeah, Venom only becomes "Venom" riiight at the very end. To fight the bad government dude who infects himself with the "scream" symbiote. I think.

But Brock's clothes are actually the Symbiote itself, so shooting tendrils from his "shirt" is alright.

There was "Unfriended" which is done entirely via webcams as 6 friends chat on Facebook about a dead ghost girl who then picks them off one by one. It is hilariously shite and well worth a drunken watch with friends. Make it a double bill with "Wish Upon" if you really enjoy awful, awful teen horror that fails on every drat level.

I hate to :toot: on Black Mirror (where all technology is EXXTREMEly harmful) but the one with the kid who got blackmailed made Unfriended look like poo

Which, I mean, it was but

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
What if phones, but too much

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Prescient.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

The Star Trek episode of Black Mirror kind of jumped the shark for me.

It's like yes, it would be super creepy if you could copy someone's consciousness into a computer. We know because you've done it several times already. But the idea that you can create a fully conscious clone of someone including their up-to-the-minute memories, hairstyle and personality just from a sample of their DNA is just egregiously ridiculous.

The whole point of Black Mirror is kind of lost if you know the scenario they're proposing is completely and always impossible.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
And any other episode of Black Mirror that used impossible technology is ridiculous as well?

Black Mirror isn't about "technology going bad," it's about "how humans could react/interact with a technology if it existed." Yeah, DNA memory poo poo is impossible, but I put it in the same realm of the VR videogames or neck-rice-memoryenhancers, or torture the murderer by erasing their memory every day. Impossible, but that's not what it's about. It's about human nature. My post,

Is a joke post, a misunderstanding about the show that gets posted enough by online reviewers that skim the show that it has become a meme.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Android Apocalypse posted:

My current IIMM of Avengers: Infinity War is that I felt the Russo Brothers didn’t really know what to do with Starlord. They just cranked his jackass meter to 11.

Well he has always been a giant manchild and he's trying to be all big and manly and macho since Thor's around and the man's just impossibly handsome to all who behold him. Which is impressive on its own, because usually the middle child is the oddest one of the family.

My IIMM of Avengers: Infinity War is that yeah, the trailers weren't kidding, Thanos takes his helmet and armor off and spends the entire movie looking like a big purple Deebo.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

And any other episode of Black Mirror that used impossible technology is ridiculous as well?

Black Mirror isn't about "technology going bad," it's about "how humans could react/interact with a technology if it existed." Yeah, DNA memory poo poo is impossible, but I put it in the same realm of the VR videogames or neck-rice-memoryenhancers, or torture the murderer by erasing their memory every day. Impossible, but that's not what it's about. It's about human nature. My post,

Is a joke post, a misunderstanding about the show that gets posted enough by online reviewers that skim the show that it has become a meme.

I think it's a laziness thing. I can suspend disbelief that a futuristic device you stick on your temple can copy your brain. But I literally know what DNA is and what it's capable of. It's like someone pulling out a Nokia 3310 and telling the audience it can scan for spaceships. At least put a minimum of effort into your technobabble.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Try to watch White Bear and lmbo https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nosedive

it has an entire wiki unto the horror

(I love Charlie and his BM but sometimes it's too much)

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

RareAcumen posted:

usually the middle child is the oddest one of the family.

Middle children are only the weird ones if they know they're the middle children. Neither Thor nor Loki had ever heard of Hela.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Would have been funnier if she was Loki's daughter - "You know that weird chick you used to go out with 2000 years ago? Turns out, she had a daughter, and she's pissed you weren't there." Loki also having to try to send her brother Fenrir to his room during the final battle.

The Thor series turns into Three's Company where Loki has to wrangle a bratty death goddess, a wolf with abandonment issues and a diabetic serpent as a New Dad, with their Wacky Uncle Thor sticking his head in occasionally.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 05:07 on May 2, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BioEnchanted posted:

Would have been funnier if she was Loki's daughter - "You know that weird chick you used to go out with 2000 years ago? Turns out, she had a daughter, and she's pissed you weren't there." Loki also having to try to send her brother Fenrir to his room during the final battle.

The Thor series turns into Three's Company where Loki has to wrangle a bratty death goddess, a wolf with abandonment issues and a diabetic serpent as a New Dad, with their Wacky Uncle Thor sticking his head in occasionally.

Don't forget the eight legged horse!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Don't forget the eight legged horse!

Whenever the mother comes around he keeps bringing that up to score points. "I was in labour for 6 hours, alone, you have no idea what that's like!" "I gave birth to a horse Miriam, that was no picnic either! And Seabiscuit never called, the bastard! You think I don't know how you felt?!"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

jabby posted:

The Star Trek episode of Black Mirror kind of jumped the shark for me.

It's like yes, it would be super creepy if you could copy someone's consciousness into a computer. We know because you've done it several times already. But the idea that you can create a fully conscious clone of someone including their up-to-the-minute memories, hairstyle and personality just from a sample of their DNA is just egregiously ridiculous.

The whole point of Black Mirror is kind of lost if you know the scenario they're proposing is completely and always impossible.

Duncan Idaho's gholas would like a word with you, sir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

RareAcumen posted:

My IIMM of Avengers: Infinity War is that yeah, the trailers weren't kidding, Thanos takes his helmet and armor off and spends the entire movie looking like a big purple Deebo.

Deebo with the power of the Infinity Stones is the most terrifying thing I've ever heard.