Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Chiming in with the modded Wii love. I don't even do much on it, other than play NES, SNES, and retail Wii games, but hey, the controllers are excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

There's also this for pro controllers. https://www.hollar.com/products/nintendo-wii-u-wired-fight-pad-link

I prefer the Hori version, but you cant beat $6.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Lord Frisk posted:

There's also this for pro controllers. https://www.hollar.com/products/nintendo-wii-u-wired-fight-pad-link

I prefer the Hori version, but you cant beat $6.

I mean you can, if the product is rear end. Anyone tried one of these?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I should probably try modding my Wii U one of these days

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

s.i.r.e. posted:

They have kits that replace the D-Buttons with a proper D-Pad on the left Joycon so you'd be good for really anything.

Got a link to one? Also does one exist for the pro controller as well? The tape fix is still bad.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

MohShuvuu posted:

Got a link to one? Also does one exist for the pro controller as well? The tape fix is still bad.

Really? I finally got around to scotch taping mine over this last weekend and it's like a night and day difference

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

MohShuvuu posted:

Here's one in Translucent Purple. I'm not sure what colors they make or if they have anything for Pro Controllers.

I haven't messed around with the d-pad ones, but I do have their whole white set on my Switch and it looks great. However, taking the Joycons apart and reassembling the Joycons is a massive pain in the rear end so if you don't like tinkering with small electronics and parts it might not be worth the frustration.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Really? I finally got around to scotch taping mine over this last weekend and it's like a night and day difference

I'm not sure if I did mine improperly but hitting left doesn't register half the time. Might have to just remove the tape from that contact.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Meridian posted:

I mean you can, if the product is rear end. Anyone tried one of these?

I'll let you know in a few days when mine comes in. If it counts, it's reviewed pretty well. The Hori version (which has different analog sticks and triggers) is a dependably solid controller, and my go-to pro/gamecube controller. Most reviews I looked at say they're about comparable.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

s.i.r.e. posted:

Here's one in Translucent Purple. I'm not sure what colors they make or if they have anything for Pro Controllers.

I haven't messed around with the d-pad ones, but I do have their whole white set on my Switch and it looks great. However, taking the Joycons apart and reassembling the Joycons is a massive pain in the rear end so if you don't like tinkering with small electronics and parts it might not be worth the frustration.

Can confirm. The springs are ridiculously tiny. I have a sorta busted joycon now, when I tried to put it in a new shell.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Lord Frisk posted:

I'll let you know in a few days when mine comes in. If it counts, it's reviewed pretty well. The Hori version (which has different analog sticks and triggers) is a dependably solid controller, and my go-to pro/gamecube controller. Most reviews I looked at say they're about comparable.

That's actually an official Nintendo product, so it should be quite far from rear end.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
This is a cool write up of the recent Switch stuff

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can you do anything with the hack yet

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
It'll be months before this is relevant for an average user.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
What do I need to own to mod my Wii U? I assume at least an hd and maybe SD card.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Spacebump posted:

What do I need to own to mod my Wii U? I assume at least an hd and maybe SD card.

SD card. Good Usb stick or usb hdd with external power or a y cable. Also need to buy a specific ds game

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Brain Age is usually the cheapest

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
I know the wii could emulate windows and the Wii U could on vWii (even overclocked it was still slow) but things are progressing pretty fast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7WwE3VULeI

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Empress Brosephine posted:

Can you do anything with the hack yet

I can't yet but if you're a person who knows about stuff you can absolutely boot up linux and run code that way and poo poo right now . I bet in the next like 3 months there will be a custom firmware solution that's an easy install for people like me but for now it's all just in the hands of the most powerful nerds

edit: actually maybe sooner, idk. sounds like the group that's furthest along (and working on their own CFW project) disclosed the vulnerability to nvidia back at the beginning of March and who knows how long they knew about it and were working on software before that . So maybe sooner but I still would expect it to take a month or two before we can run emulators and poo poo

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I really want some emulators but I don't want to get banned so soon. :negative:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Finally got around to rehacking my Wii. It's come a long way since I first started using it years ago. I don't know why I never took advantage of it being a gamecube when I first got it. Now I can backup my gamecube games and play them straight from a hard drive.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

So will just about any modern external hard drive work with Wii Homebrew (not WiiU, original Wii, if that matters) or is there anything I need to watch out for? I have an old external HD but I think it's a little too old because nothing I try works.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Color Printer posted:

So will just about any modern external hard drive work with Wii Homebrew (not WiiU, original Wii, if that matters) or is there anything I need to watch out for? I have an old external HD but I think it's a little too old because nothing I try works.

Are you formatted to FAT32? Where is your Homebrew channel trying to boot from (SD of external)? Are you trying to boot games off of external? Which USB port are you plugged into?

E: check into hidden partitions. Seems to be the common cause for externals not working. Some googlizing should solve the safety partition problem.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 28, 2018

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Color Printer posted:

It takes a lot of messing around to get it to work. I don't think the type of drive matters. I am using a laptop drive from a laptop I got back in 2008 or 2009. I put it in a USB 3.0 enclosure I got off amazon. The important thing is to make sure the IOS you're on supports USB2.0. That's as easy as installing the d2x CIOS installer and following a guide to get the right IOS installed. Then make sure that the drive is plugged into port 0. If you have your Wii vertical, it is on the left if you are feeling around from the front. It's on the right if you are looking from the back of the Wii. I have no idea if I really needed to do all the things I tried while trying to get it to work. I'm pretty sure that following any tutorial on youtube that involves USB Loader GX and mentions a year within the past few years will get you exactly what you need. My problem was just plugging into the wrong port. The gamecube memory card manager app I have was able to see and use the USB drive, but USB Loader GX wasn't until I changed ports.

Edit: Also, make sure that your drive is formatted as Fat32. I don't know if exfat works, so you might have to find an App that can format it to actual Fat32.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

gmq posted:

From what I gather, this is a hack you can have for a while, then remove when you want to do stuff online.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

gmq posted:

If you don't mind the inconvenience of dual-booting, running emulators on Linux should be safe. It's only once you start modifying the Switch OS and installing custom Switch apps that bans become a real concern.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I looked around the Switch hack reddit and it seems like this doesn't do anything to the actual switch OS. I'm guessing it either runs off an SD card or loads directly into RAM. Unless you use your hacked switch to tweet at Nintendo to say you hacked your switch, I doubt there's any way they can tell you ran Linux on it.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

A review of the $6 PDP pro controller I linked earlier:

It works great, no connectivity issues. It's not as heavy as a GameCube controller as it lacks a rumble motor, but feels solid in your hands. The buttons are responsive and unobtrusive. Compared to the Hori version, I like this versions flat gloss buttons better. The left stick feels a little high, but it's not uncomfortable.

The big issue I have is with the L R and ZL ZR triggers. The PDP uses Wii U style button layouts, so ZL and ZR are your big triggers and L R are your shoulder buttons. Basically flip flopped from the GameCube, and exactly the same as the Switch. The triggers have a spring-resist "long throw" analog style to them, but the button press doesn't register until its depressed fully. Remember GameCube shoulder buttons? Those were "long throw" because there was analog signal for how far you pressed before you reached the digital switch at the bottom. These appear to be completely stylistic, and only to emulate a tactical feel of a GameCube controller. None of the analog signal from those buttons are recorded.

The Hori version of this uses short throw digital buttons, with L and R being the "big buttons" and ZL ZR being the shoulders, identical to GameCube layout. I prefer this setup for Wii games, but that's just opinion. Nintendont games on the Wii treat all Wii controllers the same, so the L ZL flip flop doesn't change gameplay.

Anyway, long story short: great looking, good feeling controller for $6. The Hori version is slightly superior, but the differences are minor. I'd buy one if I needed a pro controller, no questions asked.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Still can't do anything with it but now you can load the exploit with Windows instead of Linux

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Has anyone been able to get Super Mario Land 2 DX working on their 3DS?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Thanks for the tips but I think I'll just have to buy a new external because now I can't even get my computer to recognize it (but it still lights up).

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Nonviolent J posted:

I know the wii could emulate windows and the Wii U could on vWii (even overclocked it was still slow) but things are progressing pretty fast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7WwE3VULeI

Man this owns, I can't wait to see what people will do with the Switch.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think I saw a VC inject floating around in certain forums.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yes I did and beat it a while back

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Ever since I installed ALH9 on my 11.3 new3DS I was unable to play ds games, ds flashcarts, or gba virtual console. Updating to boot9strap fixed all but the flashcarts. I tried installing the ds whitelist but my Acekard 2i still doesn't work even after updating luma, GM9, and all that. I did a fresh Homebrew on and old3DSxl without even doing the whitelist and the flashcart works fine.

DirkDonkeyroot
Feb 25, 2007

F. Lobot posted:

Ever since I installed ALH9 on my 11.3 new3DS I was unable to play ds games, ds flashcarts, or gba virtual console. Updating to boot9strap fixed all but the flashcarts. I tried installing the ds whitelist but my Acekard 2i still doesn't work even after updating luma, GM9, and all that. I did a fresh Homebrew on and old3DSxl without even doing the whitelist and the flashcart works fine.

You try updating the software on the card itself? May be different for the old and new 3ds.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't think Acekard 2i works on newer versions of the 3DS OS. I have a couple R4s and they work just fine, but my Acekard 2i doesn't work on my 2DSXL at all.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Have you followed this guide to attempt to fix it? https://3ds.hacks.guide/troubleshooting#dsi--ds-functionality-is-broken-after-completing-the-guide

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I know this isn’t a Nintendo question but this is the only relevant thread for it: what is the current state of 16-bit emulation on the PSP? I remember back when I had one maybe 5 or more years ago, it was pretty janky. Most stuff didn’t run at full speed.

Has that changed at all? Is it good these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I know this isn’t a Nintendo question but this is the only relevant thread for it: what is the current state of 16-bit emulation on the PSP? I remember back when I had one maybe 5 or more years ago, it was pretty janky. Most stuff didn’t run at full speed.

Has that changed at all? Is it good these days?

Genesis is fine but snes is a little stuttery, even with overclocking turned on (it's playable though)

Honestly nothing will ever beat a modded n3ds with the snes9x emulator

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 10:54 on May 1, 2018