Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I'll support whichever side makes you stop posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HorrificExistence posted:

won't sombody think of the white rhodesians!

Lol, thats a hosed up thing to say dude

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

won't sombody think of the white rhodesians!

You know considering the Turks are actually right now engaged in a form of settler colonialism, and that the Alawites have been in Syria for over a millenia that is actually quite a disgusting comparison.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
HorrificExistence should keep posting 'cus he scares away the losers who would agree with him by being obviously manic and brain damaged

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

Crowsbeak posted:

You know considering the Turks are actually right now engaged in a form of settler colonialism, and that the Alawites have been in Syria for over a millenia that is actually quite a disgusting comparison.

ancestral claims to land is nationalist trash

structures are all that matters

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the ... Islamic Republic of Iran ... is a ... colony? whose?

THS
Sep 15, 2017

gradenko_2000 posted:

the ... Islamic Republic of Iran ... is a ... colony? whose?

makes u think

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

ancestral claims to land is nationalist trash

They're living on that land right now. The Alawites are living on the same land they've occupied since the 10th century. The wahabi sunni rebels want to exterminate them from such lands.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

Yandat posted:

makes u think

They're colonising the rest of shia lebensraum

THS
Sep 15, 2017

seems realistic, Iran has the political, industrial and weapons capacity to attempt this. it's basically like 1930s germany

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

was there an equivalent or possibly even bigger movement for sunni lebensraum any time recently? :thunk:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i'm rewatching this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfXmpJRZPYI

and I'm struck by the importance of arguing against intervention when it doesn't happen. This was in 1998. He is arguing against an invasion that didn't happen for another three years. I think our current trajectory and saber rattling with Syria will result in an invasion if we keep pretending hostilities are normal like this.

THS has issued a correction as of 06:39 on Apr 26, 2018

THS
Sep 15, 2017

there has been no successful intervention in the middle east by western powers for the last 50 years, or ever. any intervention will just be murder for ends we'll be culpable for in the worst ways when our plans fail

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 22 days!)

Yandat posted:

i'm rewatching this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfXmpJRZPYI

and I'm struck by the importance of arguing against intervention when it doesn't happen. This was in 1998. He is arguing against an invasion that didn't happen for another three years. I think our current trajectory and saber rattling with Syria will result in an invasion if we keep pretending hostilities are normal like this.

The window on any real significant intervention has long been shut. The Trump administration talks like they're going to do something about it, but they've never been willing to do anything that will actually make a difference. The cruise missile strikes are just red meat for all the natsec ghouls.

At this point the only way I can see a Western invasion of Syria happening, is if NATO somehow has Article 4 invoked because the SAA attacks Turkish forces in Syrian occupied territory.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

rudatron posted:

The people ethnic cleansing are isis and the 'moderate' rebels. Assad couldn't cleanse the sunnis even if he wanted to - his brutality is a function of attempting to assert control. Its not the same thing.

On a moral level, it is tho. assads attitude towards his subjects is one of non-humans

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8bbELonv-4

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
the entire world drives like maniacs aside from US / Canada

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
UK is especially bad because everything is so normal but whoops pedestrians don't have the right of way and there aren't implicit crosswalks at every corner

madness

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Yossarian-22 posted:

pr and propaganda is still a big loving deal, and could have been the difference in convincing the american public not to back intervention in 2013. yeah, congress decided it, but the u.s. state's utter lack of domestic and international credibility after iraq is not some poo poo to be underestimated, especially as it sparked the biggest global outbreak of protest in history (more than the population of iraq itself). congress was not going to back a war that clearly would have been hugely unpopular from the outset
Right/wrong and popular/unpopular had nothing to do with it, Congress wasn't going to back anything Obama said he would do.
That's a really roundabout way of saying nothing is going to change.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Check the date on that tweet

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Yandat posted:

there has been no successful intervention in the middle east by western powers for the last 50 years, or ever. any intervention will just be murder for ends we'll be culpable for in the worst ways when our plans fail

yeah but those sweet military contracts

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://youtu.be/Mydfue-vF90?t=3m15s

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
love to go to jihadi run refugee camps and talk to all the women who are forced to dress in hijabs.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Baloogan posted:

the entire world drives like maniacs aside from US / Canada

Us drivers are heinous

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

Us drivers are heinous

ive lived on the west coast and poo poo be chill yo aside from rush hour LA which is literally hell

its how cars interact with cars / bikes / peeps

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Jose posted:

Us drivers are heinous

Depends on the region. here in NE it is commonly accepted practice to drive ~10 mph over the limit at all times

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/syria-yazidis-isis-islam-conversion-afrin-persecution-kurdish-a8310696.html

quote:

The Yazidis, who were recently the target of massacre, rape and sex slavery by Isis, are now facing forcible conversion to Islam under the threat of death from Turkish-backed forces which captured the Kurdish enclave of Afrin on 18 March. Islamist rebel fighters, who are allied to Turkey and have occupied Yazidi villages in the area, have destroyed the temples and places of worship the Kurdish-speaking non-Islamic sect according to local people.

Shekh Qamber, a 63-year-old Syrian Kurdish Yazidi farmer who fled his town of Qastel Jindo in Afrin, described in an exclusive interview with The Independent what happened to Yazidis who refused to leave their homes. He said that some were forcibly brought to a mosque by Islamists to be converted, while others, including a 70-year-old man he knew, were being lured there by offers of food and medical attention.

Even the place names of Yazidi villages are being changed. Mr Qamber recounted a conversation he had with an Islamist militant who had arrested and questioned him near the town of Azaz when he was trying to escape. He was asked by his interrogator where he was from and he replied that he was from Qastel Jindo. The Islamist, whose groups often describe themselves as belonging to the Free Syrian Army (FSA), said: “it’s no more Qastel Jindo. It’s al-Quds now. We will give it the name of Palestine’s capital. These areas were occupied by the infidels and now it is [going] back to their original owners and original names ... We came here to regain our lands and behead you.”...

quote:

Reports by the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR), widely seen as neutral or pro-opposition, citing multiple sources in Afrin confirm Mr Qamber’s account of sectarian and ethnic cleansing by the Turkish army and its Arab allies. It says that it has reliable information that ‘the resettlement of the displaced people of Eastern Ghouta in the Afrin area is still continuing.’ It says that Abdul Nasser Shamir, the military commander of Faylaq al-Rahman, one of the most important armed groups previously fighting the Syrian government in Eastern Ghouta, has been settled along with his top commanders in a town in Afrin.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 08:07 on Apr 28, 2018

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
yiff

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
We need to do more to commemorate the liberation of Deir ez-Zour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHxOrdS_B8E

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Rev Left Radio had a recent episode with Rania Khalek that I thought was a good primer/catch-up on Syria

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bad news guys Muslim tom who literally converted to Islam because of LF says we have to cram it
https://twitter.com/ibn_tomiyyah/status/990327583362383873

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

woah he blocked me lol

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Too many layers of irony, isn't he a white guy from Norway

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

I'm old enough to remember when baby Finland was a libertarian who thought medieval Iceland was a utopian society

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

paul_soccer10 posted:

Bad news guys Muslim tom who literally converted to Islam because of LF says we have to cram it

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

I'm old enough to remember when baby Finland was a libertarian who thought medieval Iceland was a utopian society

a utopian society with lots of accidental incest.