Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Say Nothing posted:

I think steroids may have been involved, which is the real reason he's always coughing up blood.

Nah. His tongue isn't black. He's clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Latest chapter be like

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i guess momo has a fanclub

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Remind me, why couldn't whatsherface just squirt out a rope?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

She doesn't use that, it's her body's lipids.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I think there was a panel showing she was asleep when they remembered they needed one, maybe they didn't want to bother her.

Also it's just a plot device to get Deku and Gentle to meet, don't worry too much about it they probably try to limit how much they ask Momo to make for them, and she's limited herself in the past. Sure, it's just a rope, but it's the principle of the thing!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Who What Now posted:

Remind me, why couldn't whatsherface just squirt out a rope?

Please, this manga is for children

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I'm sorry have you never gone super far out of your way to avoid slightly inconveniencing someone?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mercury Hat posted:

I think there was a panel showing she was asleep when they remembered they needed one, maybe they didn't want to bother her.

That was the given reason.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
here's my take on the latest MHA chapter: we're never going to see either of those characters again

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
hosed up thing to say about Mirio and Eri, i m h o

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think I totally did say the same thing about Mirio and Eri and was completely wrong

This time will be different!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Well-told self contained arcs are good and cool and great so i'd be down for that.

I bet they'll at least get occasional cameos though.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Next chapter, Gigantomachia crashes the festival!

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i really like this manga. i put it down after the fight against that insane guy for a while and then ran through everything with the current arc catching up, it was great! i hope gentle gets let off easy cuz they were like "oh hes just playing a prank" and i like that mirio is still upbeat and eri is happy.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Which insane guy?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

There's no chapter next week right? That's gonna be a bummer, but I guess this was a great place to stop for a break.

I wonder how much of the festival we'll get to see? I demand we see 1-B's play!

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Rhonne posted:

I demand we see 1-B

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Rhonne posted:

I wonder how much of the festival we'll get to see? I demand we see 1-B's play!

If we don't get to see any at all of the Totally Original Play, Do Not Steal the arc is ruined IMO.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

nice

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
:magical:

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Man, if Horikoshi meant for that to be the interpretation I'm loving amazed.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Almost makes me wonder whether other moves have had specific inspirations. Don't forget that Deku's kick moves have been English soccer team cities, and this might be his first kick move for an American city.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
It's most likely that his kicks are named after cities in the USA.

For example, Manchester is the most populous city in the U.S. state of New Hampshire:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester,_New_Hampshire

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Kind of surprised people didn't pick up on the Arch thing right away.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Ah, I looked it up, and I think the only kicking smash he's done is Manchester. I could've sworn he did one or 2 other ones. Well, whatever.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

kidcoelacanth posted:

Kind of surprised people didn't pick up on the Arch thing right away.

None of the other smash moves have any obvious correlation so I really just didn't ponder it at all.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Shere posted:

None of the other smash moves have any obvious correlation so I really just didn't ponder it at all.

I've always associated Texas Smash with "big huge attack" and Delaware with the state looking like a lil' finger, but maybe I'm giving Horikoshi's American geography trivia too much credit.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
New Jersey is the part where you clench your buttcheeks

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

It's called a Detroit Smash because it leaves you a broken mess when you're done.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

kidcoelacanth posted:

I've always associated Texas Smash with "big huge attack" and Delaware with the state looking like a lil' finger, but maybe I'm giving Horikoshi's American geography trivia too much credit.

He went with Oklahoma Smash for All Might's whirlwind/tornado attack during the raid to rescue Bakugo, so I'd give him the benefit of the doubt on his American geography skills.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Shere posted:

Carolina Smash uses both hands, referencing North and South Carolina. Oklahoma Smash was a tornado lariat, since Oklahoma is in Tornado Alley. And Delaware is a small state, hence only one or two fingers. The "Air Force" version might even be referencing Dover Air Force base, which is a major USAF base on the East Coast. Texas is a massive strike because everything is bigger in Texas.

Others are more obscure. New Hampshire Smash, I think it's because he kinda makes the shape of the state of New Hampshire when he does it. I think Missouri Smash might be another visual reference, his hand is kinda oddly shaped for what is a basic karate chop.

Detroit I'd guess is something to do with rain/wind? I think they get thunderstorms a lot there.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Vengarr posted:

Detroit I'd guess is something to do with rain/wind? I think they get thunderstorms a lot there.

Thanks for making me think of this, hell yes

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monument_to_Joe_Louis

Some rain would be nice too

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

I figured Texas/Delaware were big/little but Detroit's a bit of a head scratcher and by the time All Might got to Missouri and New Hampshire I figured he was just saying stuff that sounded cool for the most part.

Forgot about Oklahoma though, that one is apt.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Vengarr posted:

As a Michigander Detroit doesn't get any more or less rain or thunderstorms than the rest of the state. Although because the state is surrounded by the great lakes we do tend to have slightly more chaotic weather than our neighbors as a whole. I suppose Detroit Smash sounds better than Michigan Smash.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Death Bot posted:

Maybe I should have clarified I think it has something to do with this statue of a very large fist

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Death Bot posted:

Oh man, that's gotta be it. Amazing.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Rhonne posted:

It's called a Detroit Smash because it leaves you a broken mess when you're done.

Death Bot posted:

Well it's certainly one of these. I'm not sure which is funnier.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
The Philadelphia Punt doesn't hit too hard but it does get you addicted to heroin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Dangerous Person posted:

The Philadelphia Punt doesn't hit too hard but it does get you addicted to heroin

If the actual Philadelphia move isn't some type of suplex (for the "brotherly love" extreme hugging angle), then this series will be worthless.