Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

MrYenko posted:

Check the easy stuff first. Make sure the fuel filter(s) are clean and flowing freely. Check and see if there's an evap valve or something on that model that is known to go bad. Make sure you top off the electrical smoke reservoir with genuine Lucas electrical smoke fluid.

A new fuel filter is already installed, leading me to believe the only thing left is the stuff that's actually inside the tank (either the pump or the filter directly affixed to it). If I go down that hole I may as well just replace the pump since it's so difficult to get at. Again, though, this is assuming the fuel pump is intended to be essentially silent. As for the Lucas fluid this Jaguar is from the Ford years so I'm hoping I can sub Motorcraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

sarcastx posted:

A new fuel filter is already installed, leading me to believe the only thing left is the stuff that's actually inside the tank (either the pump or the filter directly affixed to it). If I go down that hole I may as well just replace the pump since it's so difficult to get at. Again, though, this is assuming the fuel pump is intended to be essentially silent. As for the Lucas fluid this Jaguar is from the Ford years so I'm hoping I can sub Motorcraft.

Ive seen dirty in-tank pump socks causing those kind of issues, but its generally in much older cars with rusty fuel tanks. And ya, if youre going to the trouble of dropping the tank to inspect the sock, do the right thing and swap the whole unit.

Motorcraft fluid will work, but it wont give the same wonderful scent of ozone and disappointment as the real Lucas stuff will.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Dennis McClaren posted:

I googled this but only found commercial application results.
What is an electrical smoke reservoir for a car? Where is it located usually? I've never heard of this.

Almost makes me feel like I'm getting punked with the "Blinker Fluid" joke.

Makes me feel like I'm getting double-punked

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
These newer cars have the smoke fluid built in to the insulation

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Nyyen posted:

I've got some questions about utility vans and need to make sure I'm not being an idiot.

I'm interested in trading in my jeep wrangler for a utility van. I'm a seasonal employee with the Park Service meaning I move every 6 months, drive a ton of mile during those moves, and haul all of my stuff when I do. I can currently fit my life in the back of a wrangler, but it is rough going, the mileage sucks, and I haven't needed any of the extra offroad capability offered and the tiny size and general lack of amenities makes me dislike it more and more.

My thinking was that if I got a cheapo fleet vehicle it would be a reliable and capable vehicle that I could haul all my things and still have room to sleep in it. It would likely get better mileage than the Jeep. Parts would be plentiful and cheap. And if I was so inclined I could convert it to a 4x4 or more of an adventure van if I decided to. Additionally, I could make some extra scratch by hauling stuff in the back. I will probably have at most about 20k to play with, with no real intention to add or modify the vehicle in the first year or so.

Did I miss a thread for that stuff here? Are there any forums for this kind of thing? Does anyone know of the ups and downs in general between the tons of different work van options? And I a dumb idiot who should be looking at a different sort of vehicle entirely?
Have you considered something like an Acadia? You can get new all wheel drive Acadias, and they will have more ground clearance and more towing capacity than a minivan. As for space, I know on the Acadia the seats just told forwards, I don't believe it's possible to easily remove the middle row in an Acadia. Simply put, the cargo floor is higher and the interior volume is smaller than a minivan, but towing capacity and ground clearance are better. Similarly, an Acadia is a couple inches smaller in every dimension than a minivan which would make it easier as a daily driver. If I only wanted to camp a couple times a year, it would not be as comfy as a fully RV converted minivan but it won't be more practical when not camping. You could even tell non car people it's an SUV to avoid the soccer mom minivan stigma.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I don't know what I did but the odometer works today. :iiam:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

You threatened it with permanent dismembermemt. It's a time-honoured repair technique.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I guess every failing part gets to sit on the desk for an evening with a view of me googling for its replacement from now on.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The only way to guarantee that the odometer keeps working is to spend an absurd amount of money &/or time acquiring another unit.

It'll know.

You'll never need it.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
2000 Toyota Corolla CE, automatic 1.8L w/ 160k miles. It has had the check engine light on for about a year. Finally have to get inspection again so I gotta get it up to standards.

Spent a bunch of money on it last weekend getting the Mass Air Flow Sensor replaced, and a fuel system cleaning. On my way home last night the engine light came back on, about ~100 miles after the repair.

I'm not sure if I should keep spending money trying to fix it or start looking for a new vehicle. Any suggestions? New gas cap?

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Christ, it never rains it pours.

2002 Toyota Corolla (zze122r) 1ZZ-FE Hot Start Issue. Picked up the car from the airport where it had been sitting for 36+ hours. No trouble starting at all. Drove ~30 mins, stopped to get beer and the car simply wouldn't crank. After throwing my hands in the air, opening the bonnet and checking the battery leads were in fact connected, it cranked and started fine. I've noticed the car being a little reluctant to crank as an intermittent issue since I've owned the car (2 years) but never to this degree.

I can get 30% off on a new battery tomorrow (1 day deal at Repco) but I'm not sure that's the issue. Googling hot start issues suggests either starter motor getting heat soaked or possibly corroded battery cables. I'm unemployed at the moment so I don't want to go throwing money at replacing everything unless I can be sure.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

slothrop posted:

Christ, it never rains it pours.

2002 Toyota Corolla (zze122r) 1ZZ-FE Hot Start Issue. Picked up the car from the airport where it had been sitting for 36+ hours. No trouble starting at all. Drove ~30 mins, stopped to get beer and the car simply wouldn't crank. After throwing my hands in the air, opening the bonnet and checking the battery leads were in fact connected, it cranked and started fine. I've noticed the car being a little reluctant to crank as an intermittent issue since I've owned the car (2 years) but never to this degree.

I can get 30% off on a new battery tomorrow (1 day deal at Repco) but I'm not sure that's the issue. Googling hot start issues suggests either starter motor getting heat soaked or possibly corroded battery cables. I'm unemployed at the moment so I don't want to go throwing money at replacing everything unless I can be sure.

It's not the battery. Starter or starter relay; they can get more susceptible to heat-soaking as the electric bits wear.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to wire-brush your electrical connections while you're at it.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
On that note if your starter has a compatible relay elsewhere try swapping them and see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't I'd suspect the starter.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Javid posted:

I don't know what I did but the odometer works today. :iiam:

Did you cut yourself somehow? That usually solves mystery problems, in my experience.

Lube banjo posted:

2000 Toyota Corolla CE, automatic 1.8L w/ 160k miles. It has had the check engine light on for about a year. Finally have to get inspection again so I gotta get it up to standards.

Spent a bunch of money on it last weekend getting the Mass Air Flow Sensor replaced, and a fuel system cleaning. On my way home last night the engine light came back on, about ~100 miles after the repair.

I'm not sure if I should keep spending money trying to fix it or start looking for a new vehicle. Any suggestions? New gas cap?

Find out why the check engine light is on. If you're not in California, go to any parts store and they'll scan the codes for free. Even better, spend $25 on a wifi scanner and phone app and do it yourself forever.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
So haven't sold a car in a while on cl perhaps I'm too old but people keep asking me to send them my Vin number. Is this a new thing or a scam?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

It's normal. If I'm shopping for something above beater status I want the VIN to run a car fax or equivalent to see if any red flags pop up, also to check if it's listed somewhere else under the same VIN.

With Porsches you also can use it to look up the cars MSRP and originally ordered options. I think I've heard that Chevy has a similar service available.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Jeep does as well.

Is there anything nefarious that can actually be done with a VIN? Anything with a modern VIN has it stuck on the cowl in a publicly-viewable space anyway.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Also Lexus has the punch-in-the-VIN-to-see-the-history service. ~Free~

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

Jeep does as well.

Is there anything nefarious that can actually be done with a VIN? Anything with a modern VIN has it stuck on the cowl in a publicly-viewable space anyway.

New scam listings, I guess.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Stupid question about stupid brake drum shoes. How much more life do you guys figure these drum shoes have left? 2007 Corolla LE.

I'm hoping that they've got another 2 years left in them. Mostly because drum shoes are annoyingly difficult to replace and I'd like to put off this task for another summer.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

MORE RAM VAN BULLSHIT

Was in Auto zone for something unrelated. Go out, van won't start. Auto zone dude hooks up their battery tester, says the battery has a bad cell. Jumps me, van starts. I go to Walmart with the battery reciept, their tester says it's fine, dude refuses to replace the battery under warranty. Claims it's probably the starter. Now the van starts but I'm paranoid that it won't next time. What even the gently caress.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Javid posted:

MORE RAM VAN BULLSHIT

Was in Auto zone for something unrelated. Go out, van won't start. Auto zone dude hooks up their battery tester, says the battery has a bad cell. Jumps me, van starts. I go to Walmart with the battery reciept, their tester says it's fine, dude refuses to replace the battery under warranty. Claims it's probably the starter. Now the van starts but I'm paranoid that it won't next time. What even the gently caress.

Buy a voltmeter and measure the voltage across the battery terminals. A bad cell will cause the voltage to be well below 12.

One of those idiots doesn't know how to work their idiot machines. I've seen auto parts store guy not know how to pull codes on an OBDII port.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Running:

Freshly shut off:

(slowly ticking down though - I should probably measure it again in a bit?)

E: after ~20 minutes it's sitting at

I can't say I'm any better equipped to work this device than they are theirs, though.

Javid fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 29, 2018

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

My utter shite air compressor finally died (or rather it started smoking and I shut it down). It was just a small one for inflating tires.

Any recommendations for a good one or perhaps sell me on upgrading to a 5gal(?) compressor that runs on 110v?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

tangy yet delightful posted:

My utter shite air compressor finally died (or rather it started smoking and I shut it down). It was just a small one for inflating tires.

Any recommendations for a good one or perhaps sell me on upgrading to a 5gal(?) compressor that runs on 110v?

I'm a big fan of having a 12v one for the boot, even though you'll die of boredom before inflating a flat.

No brand recommendations, but get a digital one that shuts off at the desired pressure.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Any Viair will last you a long time and they're awesome.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Javid posted:

I can't say I'm any better equipped to work this device than they are theirs, though.

If it's dropping that much you might want to do a battery drain test and see how much current is being drawn from the battery while the vehicle sits.

Suspension question: Didn't someone here use FCS quickstruts on a car recently? The CRV is due for some new struts and the FCS parts seem like quite a deal compared to trying to piece together a full kit. I learned my lesson on the MS3 that I want to replace all the related parts, not just the strut itself. They also seem to be the only manufacturer making complete assemblies for the front and rear.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Any Viair will last you a long time and they're awesome.

Also, this. If you don't need it immediately they do go on sale from time to time, or you can pick one up used. They're well built enough I wouldn't expect a used one to have any appreciable wear unless it was literally just run non-stop.

Of course all compressors have limits. My Viair 88p takes a lot longer on refilling the fourth tire because it's scorching loving hot by then.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Is there some clever way to remove a snap ring without the specialized tool? I just got back from Autozone and stubbornness dictates I need to try to get this thing off without going back for a new tool.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

bawfuls posted:

Is there some clever way to remove a snap ring without the specialized tool? I just got back from Autozone and stubbornness dictates I need to try to get this thing off without going back for a new tool.

If it's big enough you can use a pair of needle nose pliers. Otherwise snap ring pliers aren't exactly hard to find or expensive.

Javid posted:

Running:

Freshly shut off:

What does it do when you try to turn the engine over?

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level

Javid posted:

Running:

Freshly shut off:

I believe an initial drop like that is normal just after a charge, but if it keeps going down you have a problem either with the battery or the electrics. Try testing it again in a couple hours (Disconnected to eliminate the van drawing power). It is also entirely possible there is a terminal connection issue as well, we've had a couple batteries that would only work some of the time since the terminals had a bad connection internally.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Geoj posted:

What does it do when you try to turn the engine over?

It only failed to start the one time; about 2 minutes earlier it fired right up, and I've stopped and started it twice since.

Autoexec.bat posted:

I believe an initial drop like that is normal just after a charge, but if it keeps going down you have a problem either with the battery or the electrics. Try testing it again in a couple hours (Disconnected to eliminate the van drawing power). It is also entirely possible there is a terminal connection issue as well, we've had a couple batteries that would only work some of the time since the terminals had a bad connection internally.

Yeah, it drops down to 13 pretty quick then stays there.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level

bawfuls posted:

I have personally taken one off using a couple flat head screwdrivers by prying one under one side and working around using the other but I do not recommend. It is easier and possibly faster to just go get the tool. Edit: Wear safety glasses if you attempt this! They are spring loaded and can go wherever they like, quite quickly.

As for the van it is hard to say the cause. Since a jump worked fine I would hazard it's the battery and not the starter because jumping a bad starter does diddly. Although you may want to look at the starter relay like the person upthread. My 85 Chrysler had most of its underhood relays turn out to be bad or intermittent since they are the older mechanically activated type. Putting extra voltage through them often made them work for a time but they got worse quite quickly.

Autoexec.bat fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 30, 2018

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Thanks guys I'll pick up a Viair it looks like.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Javid posted:

It only failed to start the one time; about 2 minutes earlier it fired right up, and I've stopped and started it twice since.

I should have been more clear - I meant what does the volt meter do when you turn it over?

I've seen batteries with failed or internally shorted cells appear fine when checked with a volt meter, but then fall flat on their face when you try to start the engine.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Wear safety glasses if you're trying to pry snap rings off with a screwdriver!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Geoj posted:

I should have been more clear - I meant what does the volt meter do when you turn it over?

I've seen batteries with failed or internally shorted cells appear fine when checked with a volt meter, but then fall flat on their face when you try to start the engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z8zbgqPEac

HOWEVER

Autoexec.bat posted:

Although you may want to look at the starter relay like the person upthread. My 85 Chrysler had most of its underhood relays turn out to be bad or intermittent since they are the older mechanically activated type. Putting extra voltage through them often made them work for a time but they got worse quite quickly.

The time it failed to start I was getting a clickclickclick from the dash, which turns out to be about where on the firewall the relay is once I looked it up in the haynes book. A new one is $5 from rockauto and it looks like a quick replacement so I'll give that a shot.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level

shovelbum posted:

Wear safety glasses if you're trying to pry snap rings off with a screwdriver!

Yeah sorry I should have mentioned that part, they behave an awful lot like Jesus clips. Edited my above post to reflect this.

On the van, I just looked at a picture of your starter relay. You have the same type as mine, they are terrible relays in pretty much every way and don't hold up well to age however you can sometimes pop the tin lid off and smell the burned coil to check them. The clicking is normal however since that's how they work. Doesn't mean it's good though since when the coil burns up the connector being pulled doesn't make good contact and combined with corrosion just doesn't pass through enough/any power. As they degrade further they randomly stop generating enough force to pull the connection together at all.

If you get stuck again you can try tapping the relay with a wrench while someone cranks to activate it. I would still explore the battery thing just in case your relay is fine.

Edit:

Autoexec.bat fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 30, 2018

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Im running a GM TBI setup on my International and its giving me a strange pulsing or oscillating idle that Im not sure how to diagnose. System is typical of a 1991 Chevy 5.7. At idle in closed loop the rpms go from around 1150 to suddenly down to 700 via a sharp cut and the O2 voltage drops from 1.000 to .200 for a moment. The ecm is trimming fuel at idle and Ive been remapping it down in small increments, but it runs smoothly at 650 rpm in open mode.

I had to hang it up for the day but by the end the INT was right around 128 but it was still pulsing. I interpreted that to mean the fuel map is close but theres some kind of other problem causing it to bounce.

Im now wondering if I have the throttle plates closed too far, or if I have a bad TPS or IAC.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The autozone tester doesn't tell you if there's a bad cell or not; it just tests the battery under load and whether it holds up. The results literally say "Good Battery" or "Bad Battery."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Sanity Check please:

I diagnosed the no start issue on my e36 as a bad Crank Angle Sensor and ordered and new one. The old one had no continuity when tested with a multimeter, should read 550 ohms. Got the new part to swap it in today and checked it out of the car and it gave the same reading as the old part, no continuity/open circuit. After a bit of ringing around, a local place got a part in for me today and at a better price than what I got online. Only problem is I get the SAME reading with the multimeter.

I checked the Cam Sensor which is in the car and get within ~10% of the expected Ohm values, certainly no problem with the continuity test. I wondered if the Crank sensor needed to be in place to read correctly but even installed into the car with the bolt holding it in place I still get no continuity/reading.

I just want to make sure I'm not missing something silly before going back for ANOTHER sensor. The second one is a VDO brand which is a OEM replacement, I would have thought they'd have decent QC.