Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

PT6A posted:

Well, of course. But if the law is designed around a supposition that someone would lower their own standard of living just to spite their lower-earning ex, then it seems advisable to also design it around the supposition that a spouse might use it out of sheer greed and spite to control their higher-earning ex.

Do you think it would matter how long a change in jobs had been planned? If you decide to take a vow of poverty two weeks after you separated, I agree that's some bullshit. If you said, "honey, I hate my job, I'm going to do X instead now," and they divorced you because they're pissed off at that decision, I see that as a different matter. If you've been taking classes to change careers for a year or two, and the divorce is unrelated, the amount of reduction in income shouldn't matter since the spouse knew this reduction in income would be coming in any event.

Here's a list of things that matter! It's almost as if the people who do this for a living have thought about this in detail, and might have more advanced ideas than you or I could spitball on the fly.

http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/fl-df/spousal-epoux/ss-pae.html

fe: apparently every Family Law page has a Quick Escape button that dumps you back at Google. That's some good work Justice Department.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Number19 posted:

In your hypothetical it could go a lot of ways and there's no real way for me to predict the outcome because I'm not familiar enough with the case law. I'd imagine that it would come down to the quality of lawyers involved.

Fair enough, I'd probably agree. I'm not actually concerned about it, it's just curious to think about what would happen, if I'd made a few different choices through my 20s, so baseless conjecture is perfectly acceptable!

I guess the real lesson is: don't marry a lunatic, so whatever goes wrong, you can hopefully come to a reasonable and amicable agreement in the event of divorce.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Some former spouses will use support payments and money in general as a way to exert control over their ex. They will gently caress with the timing, the amount, cause little disputes, etc. It's not about the actual money, but about controlling the other person.

PT6A, this really isn't an argument you can be making if you haven't been involved in one of these or have had a close friend or relative who has been hosed over by a vindictive ex. The poo poo that gets done is brutal and unfortunately in family law justice is expensive to pursue. A lot of people just give up which I feel is terrible.

e: governments should provide a LOT more money for family law legal aid. There are so many people (mostly women) who are coming out of abusive relationships with nothing and have very little recourse with which to get proper help.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Number19 posted:

Some former spouses will use support payments and money in general as a way to exert control over their ex. They will gently caress with the timing, the amount, cause little disputes, etc. It's not about the actual money, but about controlling the other person.

PT6A, this really isn't an argument you can be making if you haven't been involved in one of these or have had a close friend or relative who has been hosed over by a vindictive ex. The poo poo that gets done is brutal and unfortunately in family law justice is expensive to pursue. A lot of people just give up which I feel is terrible.

e: governments should provide a LOT more money for family law legal aid. There are so many people (mostly women) who are coming out of abusive relationships with nothing and have very little recourse with which to get proper help.

Agreed 100% on the family law legal aid part.

The penalties for willful noncompliance should also be very severe, to avoid people purposely doing bullshit as a form of control.

e: The one really dysfunctional relationship I've seen involves a higher-earning wife and a controlling, verbally abusive husband who would absolutely be the petty rear end in a top hat in the event of divorce, who would almost certainly throw a fit if his ex decided to take a sabbatical from work or something like that, so I'd hope that the court would be balanced in terms of deciding who's acting in good faith, not simply looking at who makes more money.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 23, 2018

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

PT6A posted:

Agreed 100% on the family law legal aid part.

The penalties for willful noncompliance should also be very severe, to avoid people purposely doing bullshit as a form of control.

They are, but again, it's hard to get justice without a competent family lawyer. You can represent yourself but the amount of work you have to do is large and a lot of newly single people don't have the time or money to go about it. They need to focus on living first.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PT6A posted:

Exactly this. Provided that assets are divided equally, and the payer of support does not hide income, then if payments are made on the basis of actual, present income, aren't the two households roughly equal?

Spousal payments don’t have to result in an equal lifestyle, especially not indefinitely; it’s the result of a negotiation, as is division of assets. Someone might opt to give up some assets in order to alter the spousal support payments. There are a bunch of models for it.

Child support is intended to provide equalization, but in isolation sometimes doesn’t. It’s not something you can negotiate; there’s a table you use or your divorce application gets bounced.

THE BEATWEAVER posted:

Huh, I could have sworn you are one of the most offensively rich goons on the forums thanks to your silicon valley bullshit and would have no problems paying child support regardless of income. :thunk:

Guess who is exactly as offensively rich as me. We mutually impute investment income based on divided assets, so that me deciding to buy a vacation property or (indeed) give 1/4 of my net worth to charity doesn’t penalize her in terms of relative income. She can live without it as much as I could continue to pay it, but since we’re in otherwise identical financial circumstances she felt it was appropriate that given $0 income the spousal support should be $0 as well. I don’t think she actually spends the support I pay her at this point, because she can live off her investment income.

I’m sure she’d appreciate you looking out for her though.

PT6A posted:

I guess the real lesson is: don't marry a lunatic, so whatever goes wrong, you can hopefully come to a reasonable and amicable agreement in the event of divorce.

Yes, I highly recommend this.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 24, 2018

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

quote:

Vancouver’s empty-homes tax to rake in $30-million in first year; many properties exempted

Vancouver’s tax on empty homes will bring in $30-million of revenue in its first year, but that will come from only a tiny proportion of homeowners.

More than 5,000 properties out of 8,500 deemed vacant by city staff received exemptions under rules of the new tax bylaw, which is a first for Canada and is being watched closely around the world.

Nearly 1,000 homeowners among the 8,500 whose properties were designated vacant are disputing the classification.

So only 1,200 properties are being assessed the tax in the first year, some paying as much as $250,000 for the 2018 tax period. Another 1,100 or more may be added from Vancouver residents that failed to make any declaration about their properties.

But Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson is pleased with the results anyway.

“Thank you for contributing to Vancouver’s affordable-housing fund,” the mayor said wryly at a news conference outlining the details of the new tax. He acknowledged it’s not clear yet whether the tax has caused any owners to rent out their apartments or houses, which is one of the city’s goals.

But, he said, the city needed to do something to ensure that desperately needed housing is available.

“It’s unacceptable to have homes sitting empty when so many people are looking for a place to live.”

The 1,200 to 2,300 homeowners who may eventually pay the tax are far less than the numbers that have circulated for years about empty units.

Two years ago, the city said 10,800 units were unoccupied for a year or more, after a comprehensive study of electrical use.

It’s also far less than the 25,000 often cited based on numbers from the census of May, 2016. That number is often challenged, as it is based on only one day and includes housing used by students, or units classified as a basement suite even though owners may not use them that way.

Green Party Councillor Adriane Carr said she is concerned the numbers are so low.

“It doesn’t gel to me when I talk to people in neighbourhoods about how many houses on their block are empty.”

She also said she is waiting to see if the new tax helps increase the vacancy rates, which are currently around 0.8 per cent.

Mr. Robertson said citizens will decide what kinds of housing initiatives the revenue should finance.

He said it could go into more homeless shelters, the city’s rent bank, which lends people money if they are in danger of being evicted, or toward buying more land for housing.

Not all the money will go to housing. About $7.5-million is needed for start-up costs for the new program and $2.5-million a year is needed to run it.

Some of that operating money is going toward thousands of audits the city is doing to ensure that those who should pay the tax are not exempted.

People who can’t prove their Vancouver home is a principal residence can be exempted if they can prove they are renting it out long term, it was being renovated or redeveloped, their strata doesn’t allow rentals, or they work in the city for at least 180 days a year.

According to the city’s statistics, 560 homes were exempted because their strata doesn’t allow rentals, 2,480 because the title to the property changed hands during the year and 1,560 were being renovated or redeveloped.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Cold on a Cob posted:

Two things that can drive people into full-spite mode for some reason: paying/receiving alimony and paying their taxes.

a friend of mine drove his 3 series into a lake rather than let his wife get it in the divorce

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

the talent deficit posted:

a friend of mine drove his 3 series into a lake rather than let his wife get it in the divorce

That seems like a well-thought-out strategy.

Icemakor
Sep 11, 2000

Great use case for cryptocurrency.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

Ă°Â’ÂƒÂ» Ă°Â’ÂŒÂ“Ă°Â’Â‰ð’‹« 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 Ă°Â’ÂŒÂ‰ Ă°Â’ÂŒÂ« Ă°Â’ÂÂ®Ă°Â’ÂˆÂ Ă°Â’ÂˆÂ¾Ă°Â’Â…Â— 𒂉 Ă°Â’Â‰Â¡Ă°Â’ÂŒÂ’Ă°Â’Â‚Â‰Ă°Â’Â‘

Cold on a Cob posted:

https://www.thestar.com/business/real_estate/2018/04/12/torontos-housing-bubble-cost-sellers-136-million-report.html

Worth a read. A special lmao at this part:

Many were parents buying homes for children still in elementary school because they feared their kids would never get on the property ladder. 

My mom was pushing to buy something for me to live in (not own) in the new downtown neighbourhood of Yaletown for $100k in the mid 90s when I was ~15. Dad said nah. That small place would be worth $600k+ now.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Femtosecond posted:

The NPA is insinuating that Vancouver city council is corrupt, presumably giving sweetheart deals to favoured developers. I don't really like the way community amenity contributions are handled, but I haven't seen any substantial hint of city council favouring certain developers. Link an article if you know of an issue I'm missing.

Based on what I've seen from Vision in action I think the accusations that they're in bed with developers is overblown. In the last city council meeting I sat in on the Urban Development Institute, the NPA and a host of random developers were all speaking out telling Vision that the development fees for a certain package of rezonings were too high but Vision stood firm.

this is from a few pages back but this article just surfaced on my Twitter feed:

https://globalnews.ca/news/3910790/vancouver-onni-rentals/

to say nothing of the bullshit around the Concord Pacific lands.

Meanwhile, the province is now going to allow cities to establish rental-only zoning, as well as attempting to get better reporting on pre-sale flips:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/rental-only-zoning-1.4633273

quote:

The other bill amends the Real Estate Development Marketing Act, forcing real estate developers to report when a condo unit is flipped prior to the completion of construction, and allowing the Office of the Superintendent of Real Estate to investigate if there is evidence that such information is not being disclosed.

Majuju fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 24, 2018

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Number19 posted:

nationalize the lawyers

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I wonder how much of a reduction in single parents using social services we would see if the government put more money and effort into making sure support is assigned and paid properly

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Poor single mothers can't donate much to politicians so I guess we'll never know!

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

New housing legislation introduced in BC:

- Giving municipalities the ability to zone for rentals including rezoning already existing rentals to prevent demolitions
- Requiring developers to collect and report condo presale buyer info
- Increased (by more than 10x) penalties for undisclosed presale flips

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒆠𒂖 Ă°Â’ÂŒÂ‰ Ă°Â’ÂŒÂ« Ă°Â’ÂÂ®Ă°Â’ÂˆÂ Ă°Â’ÂˆÂ¾Ă°Â’Â…Â— 𒂉 Ă°Â’Â‰Â¡Ă°Â’ÂŒÂ’Ă°Â’Â‚Â‰Ă°Â’Â‘

Holy shhhiiiit the gears are in motion for my condo sale. Starting at the low low price of like 200% what we paid. And even then it's positioned for a bidding war.

Condo market is absolutely bananas right now, even as houses are slowing. Some idiot bought a similar place near us for $560k. It would've been $250k two years ago.

On the other hand, an idiot sold their deceased mom's place in our building for $50,000 less than he could've got, and that'll gently caress us somewhat.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 25, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

On the other hand, an idiot sold their deceased mom's place in our building for $50,000 less than he could've got, and that'll gently caress us somewhat.

That selfish bastard! Have you considered that he probably did it just to spite you and your fellow condo owners?

The nerve of his mother to just die like that, too!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

I know, those assholes. My equittyyyy!!!

But seriously I may need to live off it for over a year so lots of money would be nice.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Majuju posted:

this is from a few pages back but this article just surfaced on my Twitter feed:

https://globalnews.ca/news/3910790/vancouver-onni-rentals/

to say nothing of the bullshit around the Concord Pacific lands.

Yeah this is what I mean when I said how you look at a few of these cases around extra density for community amenity contributions (CACs) and you really wonder if the city got the best value. I don't know if this corruption over simple stupidity. I recognize that Vision really badly wanted to create rental housing instead of condos, and they deserve some merit for that, but clearly in certain locations it wasn't going to result in affordable housing. "Market rental" in the rich part of downtown is obviously going to be expensive, so diverting CACs toward this in this area was a bad idea. It would have been better to take the CACs and put it toward something else.

Here's another article about the moves the BC NDP made today. The rental zoning is a big deal and Vision has been asking for this for a long time. If applied correctly rental zoning could cool some of the land speculation that has taken place in the last few years.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/GMPaiella/status/988823777789308928

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Baron Harkonnen for the new Dune film is looking pretty good.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
MEANWHILE AT THE B.C. LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY ....

B.C. government to give cities power to create rental-only zoning, cracks down on presale flipping posted:

Local governments in B.C. could soon have the power to zone areas for rental housing.

Municipal Affairs Minister Selina Robinson introduced the Local Government Statutes (Residential Rental Tenure Zoning) Amendment Act in the legislature Tuesday, which would give municipalities the following powers:

- Zone undeveloped land for rental housing, or mandate a certain percentage of units on the land be rental.
    - Force existing rental properties to remain rental only after redevelopment.

The changes were promised by the government in February's budget, as part of its 30-point housing plan.

"We are committed to ensuring that local governments have the supports, the resources and information they require to decide how they can best address the housing needs in their community," said Robinson.

However, municipalities can choose not to use the new zoning tools, or only mandate a small percentage of units in rental areas actually be rentals.

"Local governments have to have autonomy. What might work here in Victoria might not work in Merritt," said Robinson.

"They're facing this housing affordability crisis along with us ... so I expect local government will continue to work [with us] in making sure there's the kind of housing people need."
Finance Minister Carole James (right), along with Municipal Affairs Minister Selina Robinson (centre) and Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps (left) speak to reporters about the new housing legislation on Apr. 24, 2018. (Mike McArthur/CBC)
Cracking down on flipping of presales

The government also brought forward two other pieces of legislation on Tuesday related to housing.

One amends the Real Estate Development Marketing Act, forcing real estate developers to report when a condo unit is flipped prior to the completion of construction, and allowing the Office of the Superintendent of Real Estate to investigate if there is evidence that such information is not being disclosed.

Penalties have also been increased by more than 1,000 per cent — up to $250,000 fines for individuals and $500,000 for corporations not complying with a requirement. If criminal charges are laid, fines will be up to $1.25 million for individuals or corporations in a first conviction, and up to $2.5 million for a second conviction.

"It will be significant. We know how important it is, and that British Columbians expect that everyone pay their fair share of taxes, and if someone is avoiding their taxes ... on a condo presale on a contract flip, then they're not following the law," said finance minister Carole James.

The final bill will force municipalities to put out a report on housing needs every five years to help with community planning. The government is providing $5 million over the next three years to assist with the data collection.

Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps said she was optimistic the changes to rental zoning would spur action.

"I think this will also be welcomed by the development community interested already in building rental housing," she said.

"They know if they build on that land, and they build rental, they don't have to jump through any hoops, they just have to get their shovels in the ground."

Urban Development Institute CEO Anne McMullin agreed, and was generally complimentary of the multiple pieces of new legislation. But she cautioned that the onus was on municipal governments to quickly prezone for rental — and said permitting times in many cities was onerous for a type of housing that generates less revenue than condominiums.

"We've got to work through this quickly. It can take four to five years to approve projects in the City of Vancouver, and then it's got to get built. So we're eight, 10, 12 years from any relief, so we've got to move fast."

edit: gently caress beaten by thc

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Math You posted:

Because they can. Certain models sell like loving hot cakes. If you already have production shortages of a particular model, why offer cheap financing?

The only reason any car manufacturers makes small sedans and hatches now adays is to get young people into the brand, so those are often the vehicles with the best financing terms. Ford doesn't make any loving money if you buy a Fiesta, but when you come back in 6 years for an Explorer? CHA CHINNGGGG
Incidentally, just heard on the morning News: Ford is scrapping all their sedan production. Will only keep producing Mustangs and trucks.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

rgocs posted:

Incidentally, just heard on the morning News: Ford is scrapping all their sedan production. Will only keep producing Mustangs and trucks.

The Youth don't want Fiestas or Fusions anyway, all of the fresh college grads I know are lusting after things like the HR-V or whatever the godawful Toyota tiny crossover, the C-HR.

They'll probably eat up the Ford Ecosport (SUV-ed Fiesta).

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
The EcoSport is actually pretty nice, I'm not buying anything that's not hybrid or electric for my next car though. Pretty sure I am buying a Rav4 next year.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Ford getting out of cars seems remarkable, but inevitable given that SUV buying has become a sort of arms race as everyone buys bigger and bigger vehicles to protect themselves from other drivers' bigger and bigger vehicles. Meanwhile trucks are 3x more likely to kill pedestrians than cars. :shrug:

In B20 news...

https://twitter.com/SteveSaretsky/status/989196769035669504

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

rgocs posted:

Laaaame. My twelve-year-old Focus hatchback is still going strong, and my local dealership is easy to deal with. Whenever mine kicks the bucket I was hoping to get another one.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Coxswain Balls posted:

Laaaame. My twelve-year-old Focus hatchback is still going strong, and my local dealership is easy to deal with. Whenever mine kicks the bucket I was hoping to get another one.

I am 100% certain that Japanese and European manufacturers will continue to make them.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Avocadoes are incompatible with mortgages.

Also I potted up my avocadoes and put them outside. Started from seeds and they’re now 2-3’.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Thought this said "Can you own your mortgage? Yes" but I guess that's still in the pipeline

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

cowofwar posted:

Also I potted up my avocadoes and put them outside. Started from seeds and they’re now 2-3’.

Playing the long game eh?

quote:

Sometimes avocado plants will begin growing fruit after they’re 3 or 4 years old, others take 15+ years to grow fruit, and some never do. It helps to have several avocado trees growing together to aid with pollination. However, don’t expect the fruit to be anything like the avocado that yielded your seed.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

The Butcher posted:

Playing the long game eh?
I started them because I was in garden withdrawal after downsizing from a house to a condo. But now I have the terrace all planted up so meh. They are too big to be inside and I don’t think hardy enough to survive the winter outside. Maybe I’ll put them in the lobby in November.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Never thought I'd see the day when I could own a home and eat food prepared outside of said home. Y'know, maybe this capitalism thing is okay after all.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Lobok posted:

Never thought I'd see the day when I could own a home and eat food prepared outside of said home. Y'know, maybe this capitalism thing is okay after all.

I'm glad you've seen the light.

Now sign this paper and owe us $500k paid back over the next 30 years at a reasonable* interest rate and we will give you $500 cash to go blow on a nice dinner.

Because you're richer than you think.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Coxswain Balls posted:

They are keeping the Focus as well. It's the Fiesta, Fusion, Cmax, and Taurus being scrapped. Which leaves the Mustang and Focus.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The new Fiesta would have probably sold better if they had bothered to fix the problem of the transmission randomly falling apart.

The rest of their cars other than the Focus really are boring crapmobiles that nobody wants.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Math You posted:

They are keeping the Focus as well. It's the Fiesta, Fusion, Cmax, and Taurus being scrapped. Which leaves the Mustang and Focus.

The Focus is becoming the Focus Active (a "crossover-ified" version of the Focus; think Subaru Crosstrek) and won't be sold in Canada.

quote:

“The car segment in Canada has been declining steadily since 2012 and now makes up just 33 percent of the overall market,” [Ford Canada PR person] Hollander said. “Going in the other direction, SUV and crossover sales have been growing steadily since 2012 and now account for about 44 percent of all vehicle sales in Canada. And that trend of car sales declining as more consumers choose SUVs is expected to continue. So, we are focusing our efforts on vehicles customers prefer.”

Hope you like Mustangs as much as a certain other Canagoon does.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2018/04/hilarious-canadians-cant-even-buy-focus-active-fords-new-plan/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The Focus is becoming the Focus Active (a "crossover-ified" version of the Focus; think Subaru Crosstrek) and won't be sold in Canada.

Hope you like Mustangs as much as a certain other Canagoon does.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2018/04/hilarious-canadians-cant-even-buy-focus-active-fords-new-plan/

I sold the Mustang, I drive a respectable European hatchback now.