Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

pokchu posted:

el chapayev trap house (pt. 2)

Not the map Trap, 7/10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Ranked is as awful as ever but there is one thing I now realize has been sorely missing from my life, and that's the North Carolina with matchmaking at its own tier. It's a loving amazing ship and I love it so much. As someone put it, the shells might have the ballistics of a cartoon anvil, but they hit like one too.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

At first I thought Loyang was definitely OP when I went from rank 23 - 14 without a loss but apparently I just had a loving horseshoe in my rear end.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

TheFluff posted:

If you need dubloons, these steam bundles on the store are a great way to get them because they're so steeply discounted. Every one of them except maybe the Yubari is worth buying especially if you already have the ship (you'll get its dubloon value instead). For example, the Texas bundle gets you over 5000 dubloons, a ship slot and a captain for $10.

e: you'll need to log in to see them and you don't need to play via steam to pick them up

e2: also if you don't have an Anshan it's a pretty good ship and the closest you're likely to get to the Gremyaschy

Wait, which website, can anyone link or should I be seeing it in steam somewhere?

Edit: oh, you need to go to worldofwarships.com not the wargaming portal.

Blindeye fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 28, 2018

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Those stupid steam packages paid for my shiny new Tirpitz, which is nice.

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

toadee posted:

At first I thought Loyang was definitely OP when I went from rank 23 - 14 without a loss but apparently I just had a loving horseshoe in my rear end.

I started out at rank 16, moved up to 12 pretty quickly, and then decided to keep playing when I should have logged off and slid back down to 14 as punishment for that mistake. There are a *lot* of bad players playing; yolo'ing DD, cruisers screaming for you to immediately try to cap a cap that you know very well there will have an NO and/or Chappy posted up to keep it radared, battleships playing it like randoms where they try to farm damage off BB instead of shooting priority targets like DD and radar cruisers. I'm an overall ~1700 WTR DD player, finishing top 2 in most of my ranked matches win or lose, and I literally cannot drag some of these teams to victory. It makes me miss my clan battle team a lot. It probably seems this way every ranked season, but somehow it seems worse than last season.

Thundercakes fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 28, 2018

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

toadee posted:

Oh, no, it definitely is OP, but ranks 23 to ~15 or so are all pretty easily carriable because they're full of complete and utter shitters. From rank 15 people start to have a vague idea of what they're doing and from rank 10 and up you kinda have to tryhard to get anywhere, at least early in the season.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.

toadee posted:

Same but 18 —-> 14 Loyang is strong, but DD play right now needs good play since you have a lot of good players using DDs and radar cruisers right now.

The Hipper works much better now with its 11.5 reload. Chappy is still probably a better choice, but can’t brawl like the Hipper can. It’s nice against smoked up DDs with the hydro and against German BBs since it’s 27mm armor can’t be overmatched by 380/381mm.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

highlights include being torped by a friendly dd, having to scout for the entire team in a bb, having to cap because the bensons refused to contest anything.

feels bad man

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

I think players are worse in ranked its insane

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

It's probably not that they're worse, but that each mistake is magnified due to smaller teams and the fact that you yourself have a progression blocker should they fail, so you realise this in a different way.

They were always this bad. :suicide:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
#justNCthings

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

How useful is fire prevention as a skill?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

DonkeyHotay posted:

Depends on the ship and circumstances. For some, it is a must have. The big thing for it is that it reduces the number fire zones on a ship from 4 to 3. It does this by combining the entire superstructure into one zone instead of two separate zones without the skill. I often put it on my battleship captains just because it is a battleship and people like to fling he at it since I don't broadside in them often.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

DonkeyHotay posted:

If your captain is a Battleship captain and doesn't require gimmicks like German secondaries, it is probably the best T4 skill tied with concealment

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

DonkeyHotay posted:

It's pretty much mandatory on all high tier BB's. You can get away without it on T8's, but on T9 and 10 it's pretty much a must-have. You used to run AFT on USN BB's to improve the AA and manual secondaries on Germans for fun, but these days it's fire prevention on everything. British and French BB's shoot a lot of HE, pan-Asian DD's force your repair, Hindenburgs are as obnoxious as ever, etc etc. It's an incredibly strong skill.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Just unlocked the Alsace. I have the special captain with 16 points, and thanks to the free respecs I could easily go with a secondary build. Or the traditional tanking BB setup. Opinions?

(For the record I dont really plan on playing the Republique, ill probably just unlock it. Maybe re-use this captain on the DD line when it eventually comes out)

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Lakedaimon posted:

Just unlocked the Alsace. I have the special captain with 16 points, and thanks to the free respecs I could easily go with a secondary build. Or the traditional tanking BB setup. Opinions?

(For the record I dont really plan on playing the Republique, ill probably just unlock it. Maybe re-use this captain on the DD line when it eventually comes out)

I tried the secondary build for two games. Don't do it imho

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Lakedaimon posted:

I thought the same thing about the Republique but just today I sold the Alsace to try it (my first tier 10) and uhhhh. It's pretty good.

The average damage would be higher but I did like 2k damage on the loss whoops.

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

How does this even happen?
Turned pink because I shot myself to death!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Alpine Mustache posted:

How does this even happen?
Turned pink because I shot myself to death!

You were already pink and shot someone else, which I think reflects that damage to you?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

If you're already pink and still keep shooting your teammates, the damage gets reflected back to you plus a multiplier, I think. So, uh, stop loving shooting your teammates.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

imo the only teammates that you should kill are those that are:
a) piloting fascists boats
b) afk or have racists usernames

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Oh yeah both of those are fine and Wargaming should add those as exeptions to the pinkname algorithm.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

ElMaligno posted:

imo the only teammates that you should kill are those that are:
a) piloting fascists boats
b) afk or have racists usernames

I dream of being a Commissar Destroyer and sitting behind friendly battleships threatening to smash a salvo of torps into them if they try to hug the backline or otherwise doing the usual battleship things.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Thundercakes posted:

I started out at rank 16, moved up to 12 pretty quickly, and then decided to keep playing when I should have logged off and slid back down to 14 as punishment for that mistake. There are a *lot* of bad players playing; yolo'ing DD, cruisers screaming for you to immediately try to cap a cap that you know very well there will have an NO and/or Chappy posted up to keep it radared, battleships playing it like randoms where they try to farm damage off BB instead of shooting priority targets like DD and radar cruisers. I'm an overall ~1700 WTR DD player, finishing top 2 in most of my ranked matches win or lose, and I literally cannot drag some of these teams to victory. It makes me miss my clan battle team a lot. It probably seems this way every ranked season, but somehow it seems worse than last season.
Once you get to ~12, you're better off pulling out the chapayev. I got tired of playing 0 radar cruisers vs 2 in my Lo Yang after awhile, then went from 12 to 10 with one loss on the Chapayev.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Alternating games in two similar but actually really different ships, such as the Chung Mu and Z-46, is a great way to repeatedly gently caress yourself over.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
What's up with all of the bots in this game? I just joined a match with only 4 real players.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

SERPUS posted:

What's up with all of the bots in this game? I just joined a match with only 4 real players.

You are in "babbys first bote". They disappear when you get to level "something". Doesn't take long, maybe 10 games if that?

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.

SERPUS posted:

When you first start you have to play several coop games and after that you are in protected games for new players that fill in players with bots if they’re not enough real players. Once you get to a certain account level you will be put into regular matchmaking.

Herr Bazooka
May 21, 2007

SERPUS posted:

Those were real players.

Seriously though you need to play some games vs bots before pvp opens up.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
So what boats can I use to do this personal challenge?

Herr Bazooka
May 21, 2007
Tier 7 ships? It says it right there.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Also Rear Admiral Sperglord went bonkers with the Kick button in EU goons so we now have 31 empty slots.

If you want reinviting or want to be invited for the first time apply IG with your forums name, but we kicked everyone who was in the clan that never divisioned or even spoke up in chat so if you just want to join for the [GOON] tag then you probably shouldn't.

Even just a modicum of social interaction is all we ask. :haw:

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Herr Bazooka posted:

Tier 7 ships? It says it right there.

It also says must be completed in ranked.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

bloom posted:

You have to rank out and enter ~try hard~ tier 7 zone.

Probably teams of Belfasts all sitting in smoke waiting for someone to move.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

bloom posted:

yeah it's a real loving mystery.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004

Herr Bazooka posted:

Those were real players.

Seriously though you need to play some games vs bots before pvp opens up.

Is Tier 3 not high enough yet?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

bloom posted:

So what boats can I use to do this personal challenge?

remember this Koan to complete this challenge.
"Never play ranked"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soulfulspinster
Aug 2, 2012

So is there a possibility of joining a clan in NA? I’ve been playing botes for a while and think goons are genuinely an upgrade from pubbies.