Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ZypherIM posted:

Guess I'll look into getting some sort of CB onto Bengal. I often see people talk about running no CB wars, are they just saving up 300+ admin points to fix their stability or is there something I'm missing?

A lot of the time they don't even bother fixing their stability because a) losing stability isn't the end of the world and b) if you no-CB at -2 stability you only lose 1 :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Had a stability of 3 and burned a couple points on no-CB strangling the first center of reformation in the crib, since I am Super Emperor of the HRE Austria and my princes will bow to the Pope (even if he did excommunicate me for taking his stupid land).

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I really, really hope the government rework also makes vassalage a lot more granular, with a possiblity of having something like the Shogunate or even CK2 level vassals (though that might be a mite dangerous considering how wars work in this)

Also Personal Unions being Christian only still feels weird and wrong. Also is propagate religion every any good? 50% seems crazy high and feels like at that point you kinda control all of it anyway

Also I loving swear that Colonialism is loving rigged to check Europe first. Half of Japan, W-Africa and randos with explorations and America in vision and three times in a row it lands in Europe, in loving France

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Also Personal Unions being Christian only still feels weird and wrong. Also is propagate religion every any good? 50% seems crazy high and feels like at that point you kinda control all of it anyway

It's good even if you control 100% of it, because it will convert your own provinces too.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i think a big part of the colonialism thing is that the province has to either be the capital, a coastal center of trade, or (and this is the big most europe-likely one) at least 12 dev

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

It's good even if you control 100% of it, because it will convert your own provinces too.
It being Muslim only and requiring so much control just made me sad because it reminded me of religion bombing in the old total war games which was so fun, alongside with plague spies

oddium posted:

i think a big part of the colonialism thing is that the province has to either be the capital, a coastal center of trade, or (and this is the big most europe-likely one) at least 12 dev
Yeah, the Dev was a loving pain and the fact that the size of any actual colonial empires is irrelevant is hugely irritating

Malian Brazil and Satsuman Alaska at least meant that it spread faster than it shoulda, while printing press is still hosed. I don't usually last long enough before getting bored to see how the rest work though I hear they're better

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I am playing a game with historical lucky nations. It is 1700. Ming is a lucky nation. What the poo poo.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
It feels really weird that there isn't a CB for junior partners to become senior partners in PUs

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Huh. Tried two separate games of Austria and despite watching Bohemia's interregnum like a hawk, both times I never got the option to claim their throne before they got a Podebrad going. Did anything change with the new missions? I had Royal marriage going both times.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

It feels really weird that there isn't a CB for junior partners to become senior partners in PUs

So the king would declare war on himself?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

The nobles of the country would declare war on the nobles of the other country

Am I the only one who thinks EUs 2 and 3 are better than 4 at this point?

100% fewer mana bars

100% fewer expansions that add features seemingly unrelated to the theme of the expansion

100% fewer costing a thousand dollars to get game w/expansions

And frankly 100% more fun.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I would love to have EU3 with the UI and QOL changes of EU4.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

100% fewer mana bars

100% fewer expansions that add features seemingly unrelated to the theme of the expansion

:lol: you might be taking the hyperbole a bit too far

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

100% fewer mana bars

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

What does 100% fewer mean? :spergin:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

So senior would become junior. I may still be a bit stuck in my CK2 ways but I'd think of it as basically another claimant taking over or a cadet dynasty? ehhh

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah that's definitely more of a CK2 thing. Breaking out of a PU is already fairly easy. Getting a free CB to put your overlord in a PU under you would be a little silly.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Does anyone know how to manipulate Colonial Nations?

Holland was kicked off the continent by Utrecht, which is hilarious because the only thing preventing me from going nuts on them was that Pomerania was the Emperor and they were feeling chummy with Russia and the Commonwealth. Now with a capital in North America and no Alliances, everyone dove in for a piece of the Dutch pie.

They are, at this point, completely obliterated. No units, no boats, no provinces, no nothing. I control most of their territory, and the Iroquois and Cree control some, too (their stuff is up in New England). I want their holdings in the south and in Texas to tack on to my Colonial Empire. I'm less interested in the New England colonies since they're pretty far from my holdings, and will contribute trade in a node that is controlled by my enemies (England, mostly) and I can't use in any way. I was thinking of just releasing them to ditch them, though I'm not certain that's the smartest use. Ideally I'd like to give it to France, since they're my long term ally and part of my Dynasty.

On the other hand, it would be neat to keep the New Holland colony around, since then I can feed it those provinces in Texas and keep Mexico and Louisiana from getting too beefy. I can do this, but then New Holland keeps the New England provinces, and I can't think of a way to strip them and feed them to France or something. It would be easier, I think, if I controlled all the colonies in NE, since I could claim them in the treaty and I think they'd release as a new Colony (which I could keep or let go or whatever) but I can't, so I'm a bit stuck here.

The New England Colonies

Warscore screen. I'm guessing I'm not at 100% because of the four goddamn provinces I don't control.

Any suggestions for how to manipulate this for the best outcome?

Also, I'd asked for help with Ming before, and honestly, I have had no issues with them. Managed to conquer all of the Philippines with no issue; I had complete naval control and would aggressively blockade them while the warscore timer ticked. It helped to sometimes send groups of disposable mercs ashore to capture unguarded provinces, which helped tick the warscore faster

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 29, 2018

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I guess, theoretically, there could be an option to move your court to the junior partner and it would be akin to tagswitching through releasing a nation.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

100% fewer mana bars

I tried playing EU3 like three months ago. As someone who put thousands of hours into it back in the day: no. Just no.

Monthly and yearly incomes unified for a more sensible economy.

A trade system that isn't complete rear end.

Better ideas system.

Monarch points creating a limited resource for more interesting decisions

The new fort system making warfare actually fun.

The tech/institution system being vastly superior to eu3 westernization.

Dynamic aggressive expansion system which creates a more interesting diplomatic landscape.

A user interface that is infinitely more usable.

A ton of other minor improvements here and there.

EU4 may be overly bloated now, but it is still superior to EU3 DW in nearly every possible way. And don't even mention EU2, lmao.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Apr 30, 2018

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Mantis42 posted:

I guess, theoretically, there could be an option to move your court to the junior partner and it would be akin to tagswitching through releasing a nation.

Didn't this happen in real life with the crown of England? King of Scotland inherited, was like gently caress Scotland its terrible here, and moved down to England.

lolol I just pu'd Russia as an ascendant Prussia. I wasn't even trying apparently they just had a bad case of ded, france did the war thing but uh... they ain't strong enough to win. Thanks to that and also beating up Sweden and England, I had enough trade power to become a thassolocracy as Prussia and get a sweet sweet extra merchant.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 1, 2018

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Hey groogy what was the RP gimmick going to be before your strategic withdrawal to the steppes in the dev clash?

Didn't really have one, I had for Prussia to actually play with the Militarization and go for a small condensed realm that could punch above it's weight.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

100% fewer mana bars

Remove/Consolidate some of the lovely mana bars, fix loving Ming and the game is mostly fine again.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Could do what I'm planning which is to take a dumb mana bar (Innvativelol) and turn it into an actual mana bar. Of mana.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Just give my ruler a wand and make me do gestures with the mouse to wave it around. Hitting France with an expert EXPELLIARMUS aw yeah

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I just became papal controller for the first time and dang this owns even if the actions are no longer available in the age of absolutism (playing Cologne >Westphalia and it's the 1650s). Extra diplomat in itself is worth it.

Westphalia's cream color though... certainly unique but not really that nice looking.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Tahirovic posted:

Remove/Consolidate some of the lovely mana bars, fix loving Ming and the game is mostly fine again.

Hello Paradox please read this post

I think that they may have said that the India revamp is going to have some Ming fixing as well or possibly that was a fever dream.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
If they don’t do something about Ming, then all the new Indian minors they add are going to get tributarized 90% of time anyway. It already happens in most games to Orissa/Bengal.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

army professionalism and army tradition should really be the same. but keep the bar because i actually like bars i guess

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

They have nerfed the range on the tributaries so it's not as crazy as it used to be. Personally I would like if declaring tributary wars didn't let you take provinces as well. :shrug:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the tributary/tributary overlord relationship should be something about providing trade bonus or allowing merchants in nodes that the overlord has the majority of. instead of just being the guaranteeing thing

e: also flip the islam bonii back the way it was!! i hate it so much now !!

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
If you wanna go full history it should be nearly entirely about being able to trade with and interact with Ming for most of the tributaries, but the way the game works, them e.g. auto-embargoing you if you're not a tributary would generally not actually do very much compared to how significant the trading relationship was in the region historically.

EU4 trade is really, really great for Europe and it's a system I absolutely love playing with, but for how it functions it's kind of more like...wealth extraction and colonialism than an actual trading relationship. Which is normally fine for competing merchant interests in lots of places but kind of falls flat in places like China.

Poil posted:

They have nerfed the range on the tributaries so it's not as crazy as it used to be.

Bengal still gets made one pretty much every single game. I guess in a game-logic sense it is pretty drat close to Ming geographically, but then in reality there's jungle and mountain hell between them that prevented that. There's a reason East Asia-South Asia relations nearly always went via Central Asia.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

It'd be sort of interesting if they gave Ming more weight to pull trade towards nodes they control, and a big malus for non-tributaries in those nodes.

I also think that they should give tributaries of Ming a special 'generate unrest' or 'lower mandate' spy action to sort of simulate the actual unrest problems Ming had, and something that increases liberty desire in tributaries (so the AI might ever want to break free). To be honest playing as a Ming tributary hasn't been that annoying the times I've done it, the cost of just giving them whatever they're wanting is pretty worth it just for the fact that anyone who isn't a tributary that declares war on you is going to get a giant pile of men coming at them.

People were talking earlier about land attrition, and some sort of scaling based on distances/terrain would be interesting for areas like that (and troops just cruising through Africa) that generate the strange situations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If they really want to gently caress poo poo up with trade, all they have to do is create an end node in China.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

If they really want to gently caress poo poo up with trade, all they have to do is create an end node in China.

This would be cool and not unreasonable, but would require gigantic rebalancing. As it is now Ming is already so wealthy and powerful that giving it an end node to dominate would be absurd.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

They should make flow direction two way and dynamic and get rid of end nodes entirely.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

How do you do that without creating a positive feedback loop though?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Just get rid of the value increase. :shrug:

Trabisnikof posted:

They should make flow direction two way and dynamic and get rid of end nodes entirely.
Yes!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

This would require like a ground-up rebuild of the entire trade system. I'm not saying it's a terrible idea but it's more like an EU5 hope than something that might actually be done in any upcoming version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

TBH I kinda like the current trade system. While it doesn't allow for any dynamic changes across a campaign, it does create these interesting focal points worth fighting over.