Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Hm I wonder what it could be that is causing it to rattle. I had a custom amp have same issues and I had to replace the screws holding the sockets in because they were just a bit too raised to let the tubes sit flush - which was a lot more work than it sounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Speaking of which I have some tube retainers lying around because he thought they were necessary instead of just using different screws :rolleyes: but they are pretty cheap

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I had some rattle with certain notes twice. Once was when I was testing a 5f1 clone I made through a lovely speaker from an old solid state amp, the low range of a regular 6 string could lock that into a DDDWWUBUBUBUBUBUB that would probably have broken the speaker if I'd let it continue. I don't think this is your problem, though.

Second one was a my old 1960s sano making something else in the room buzz with weird sympathetic vibrations, so definitely try it out in another room first.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Smash it Smash hit posted:

Hm I wonder what it could be that is causing it to rattle. I had a custom amp have same issues and I had to replace the screws holding the sockets in because they were just a bit too raised to let the tubes sit flush - which was a lot more work than it sounds
Moved it around the room (it's a big room) because it was close to a wall and I wasn't entirely sure if it was the wall vibrating or the amp. It's definitely the amp. There are also two kinds of noises. One of them is definitely a tube-y rattling noise, a higher frequency ringing type of sound if I'm playing in the middle part of the guitar's register. The other is a lower frequency rumble? buzz? that shows up really prominently on certain notes. On my SG in D, F and G on the lowest string make it happen some; D, Db, and E are fine; Gb makes it go crazy. Can't tell if it's the wood resonating or the speaker is loose or what, but I would guess it's coming from the upper left of the cab. Tightened everything I could access with no effect, but there are a few screws on the speaker that I couldn't get to without taking everything apart, and I don't feel comfortable enough around large caps to do that myself.

I'll see if the o-rings do anything (maybe reduce the tube noise, I hope?) and then take it to a tech. This is really just accelerating my plans for buying more amps and a decent cab, oops

fuckwolf
Oct 2, 2014

by Pragmatica
Has anyone played the new Marshall Origin series? Thoughts?

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
Impedance Question:

I almost ordered a Marshall DSL1-HR head last night, but I realized it only has 16-ohm output. My only speaker cabinet is 8 ohms. I've tried googling around to see if this will destroy the amp, but there's a mountain of contradictory information; some people say any mismatch will destroy a tube amp, some people say Cab > Amp is OK, some people say Amp > Cab is OK, some people say one "step" in either direction is fine. Is anyone here informed enough to give me a definitive answer?

I'd just get a 16 ohm speaker for my cab, since it's a 1x12 and I'm not crazy about the Celestion 70/80 that's in it, but I am unfortunately completely unable to get the back off of the cab, despite hours of effort, so I don't think replacing the speaker is viable.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Gnumonic posted:

I'd just get a 16 ohm speaker for my cab, since it's a 1x12 and I'm not crazy about the Celestion 70/80 that's in it, but I am unfortunately completely unable to get the back off of the cab, despite hours of effort, so I don't think replacing the speaker is viable.

Is there a chance the speaker is front mounted and accessible through the grill?

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Iucounu posted:

Is there a chance the speaker is front mounted and accessible through the grill?

I'm not sure. It's an (older) Laney closed back extension cab. I've taken the jack plate off the back but I can't really see inside well enough to tell if it's front or back mounted, and I've attempted all the obvious ways to take the grill off short of cutting it.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Don't mismatch the resistance, it will gently caress your amp. I'm sure that cab comes apart, someone put it together once upon a time. Weber speakers makes some good replacements, or you should be able to find one locally pretty easily. Call up some amp/speaker repair shops, you should be able to get a used Celestion for ~50 bucks.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Or get another 8 ohm cab and run them in series.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

The grill could be attached with velcro and just needs to be pulled off.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
You could get the combo version - it's $80 more, but you can make some of that back offloading the cab.

Assuming you can find a buyer, of course. People tend to forget that part.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Pokey Araya posted:

Don't mismatch the resistance, it will gently caress your amp.

Next level misinformation here lmao.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

The DSL1-HR Manual posted:

WARNING: Only ever connect a single 1 x 16 Ohm speaker cabinet. Any other speaker configuration may stress the power amplifier section and in extreme cases may lead to valve and/or output transformer failure.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
Mesa says it's OK to run a cab with a higher resistance than the amp's output but not the other way around. Makes sense considering running with no load destroys the output transformer.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Basically the amp expects to 'see' a certain amount of resistance to 'push' against. If it sees more resistance, thats fine, you'll lose a bit of potential effiecency/loudness but who cares. If it doesent see enough resistance/sees no resistance thats when things start getting dangerous.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Whoever assembled this drat cabinet was sloppy with the glue, and the tolex for the back panel was glued to the tolex in the cab. But hey, I managed to get the thing apart after only a few hours with a crowbar.

I'm also pretty sure now that the DSL1HR isn't for me. I have kind of a weird use case: I have a *ton* of quality solid state preamp pedals that I run into an AMT Tubecake power amp, or, for more volume, an EHX 44-Magnum. I had thought the SS power amps had variable ohm outputs, but after looking at the manuals, I don't believe they do. My goal was to use the Marshall partly for the "classic Marshall tone" (all the pedals that purport to do it kind of suck), but mainly as a low watt tube power amp (via the fx return).

I think for now I'll upgrade my speaker to a Swamp Thang and save up for the DSL20 head, which has an 8 ohm out and thus works with all my current gear. Thanks for the advice though!

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
that's a good speaker, but with smaller amps you have to really crank them to get it sounding decent. it's a bit plastic and stiff at even moderately loud bedroom volume

L. Ron Mexico
May 14, 2005

This seems to be about the right place to ask about this, so:

Anyone got any suggestions for resources to identify an old amp? I've got an old Mesa boogie head that I bought like 20 years ago, but I have no clue what model or whatever it actually is. I think I'd like to get rid of it (or maybe not. who knows), since I haven't actually used it for 15 years, it's waaaay too loud for me, and I don't even have a speaker cab anymore...
I think I remember it being sold as a mark III, but I don't think that can be right - there's no graphic eq (though amusingly there's a jack for the eq on/off footswitch) and only two powertubes (so, it's a 60W head I guess). But I don't know much else about it really - it sounds nice, and is loud as gently caress. And weighs about the same as my car.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

L. Ron Mexico posted:

This seems to be about the right place to ask about this, so:

Anyone got any suggestions for resources to identify an old amp? I've got an old Mesa boogie head that I bought like 20 years ago, but I have no clue what model or whatever it actually is. I think I'd like to get rid of it (or maybe not. who knows), since I haven't actually used it for 15 years, it's waaaay too loud for me, and I don't even have a speaker cab anymore...
I think I remember it being sold as a mark III, but I don't think that can be right - there's no graphic eq (though amusingly there's a jack for the eq on/off footswitch) and only two powertubes (so, it's a 60W head I guess). But I don't know much else about it really - it sounds nice, and is loud as gently caress. And weighs about the same as my car.

https://mesaboogie.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/218914817-When-was-my-amp-made-?mobile_site=true

You should be able to track it down by serial number.

L. Ron Mexico
May 14, 2005

Thanks a lot!
From the serial number it's an early ("black dot" or whatever) Mark III - it's signed in october 1985, so that seems about right. That's cool to know if nothing else!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

L. Ron Mexico posted:

Thanks a lot!
From the serial number it's an early ("black dot" or whatever) Mark III - it's signed in october 1985, so that seems about right. That's cool to know if nothing else!

:eyepop:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Eh, old Mesa/Boogies are cool and all, but collectors are a loving insufferable lot.

I say this as a haver of 4 Mesa heads + 1 combo. :shobon:

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

L. Ron Mexico posted:

Thanks a lot!

Yeah um, that's not a bad find.

L. Ron Mexico
May 14, 2005

most wasted amplifier potential: I bought it from a dude playing in a church group (think mormon), and I have basically used it for a year total or something stupid like that. And these days (being old, fat and boring) I'm probably more likely to play smooth jazz on it than metal...

Unfortunately (you know, collector & sales-price-wise) it's not exactly mint condition - unless it was originally shipped without a back-cover and with traffic-cone-orange power cord. It's otherwise in good condition though. But I can't exactly pay down my morgage by selling it, so maybe I'll hang on to it, and one day one of my kids can have the most vintage amp in primary school band practice

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
yeah that's a hell of an amp i wouldn't let go of it

e: now i'm imagining some church band in provo, the guitarist accidentally hits the footswitch, turning if you could hie to kolob into master of puppets

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 1, 2018

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

The Muppets On PCP posted:

yeah that's a hell of an amp i wouldn't let go of it

e: now i'm imagining some church band in provo, the guitarist accidentally hits the footswitch, turning if you could hie to kolob into master of puppets

I've talked to many a rocker who was only allowed to play music post-marriage if they did it in church. Even if they weren't playing metal in the temples of the Lord, they were still shredding in the temples of their hearts.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

After The War posted:

I've talked to many a rocker who was only allowed to play music post-marriage if they did it in church. Even if they weren't playing metal in the temples of the Lord, they were still shredding in the temples of their hearts.

https://youtu.be/qSCUhqsy4Nk

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

After The War posted:

I've talked to many a rocker who was only allowed to play music post-marriage if they did it in church.

Jesus wept.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TsL0DO-c1E

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yamaha bought Ampeg. Seems like a great fit to me. Ampeg has been slowly drifting out of the picture which no apparent drive to do anything about it and Yamaha is an excellent company.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
long shot but they should reissue the vh140c

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Muppets On PCP posted:

long shot but they should reissue the vh140c

gently caress yes. And the V4. :getin:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

gently caress yes. And the V4. :getin:

Are all the weirdo tubes it used being made again, or will the blood of bearded stoner dudes be spilled over substitutions?

Either way, we win. :unsmigghh:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

After The War posted:

Are all the weirdo tubes it used being made again, or will the blood of bearded stoner dudes be spilled over substitutions?

Either way, we win. :unsmigghh:

Yea JJ sells them for sure.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

6k11 triple triode is not manufactured, I’ve stocked up on about 3 NOS ones for my 1970 V4B

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Doomy posted:

6k11 triple triode is not manufactured, I’ve stocked up on about 3 NOS ones for my 1970 V4B

Oooh the preamp tube. Dang.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

I’m not a tube expert but the 6k11 is a single medium, double high amplification tube. The spec sheet on google says it has a mu of 17 and 100, 100. So you could replace it based on that with a 12ax7 and 12bh7 both of which are current production.

But you would naturally lose that weirdo tube mojo so that would cause certain people to flip their poo poo.

Personally I wouldn’t have a problem with it. The only appeal I can see for limited or no longer manufactured stuff is that you can poo-poo other people who weren’t in the right place at the right time to buy it.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Doomy posted:

I’m not a tube expert but the 6k11 is a single medium, double high amplification tube. The spec sheet on google says it has a mu of 17 and 100, 100. So you could replace it based on that with a 12ax7 and 12bh7 both of which are current production.

But you would naturally lose that weirdo tube mojo so that would cause certain people to flip their poo poo.

Personally I wouldn’t have a problem with it. The only appeal I can see for limited or no longer manufactured stuff is that you can poo-poo other people who weren’t in the right place at the right time to buy it.

Right I was thinking about that but you’d have to hack up the pre section to do it and these amps are going way up in price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

My amp warns me with a red light on the footswitch if I accidentally set it to the "clean" channel, whatever that is. \m/