Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

Anyone else noticed that you can't build starbases from the galaxy map on systems with more than one star? It will tell you "starbases must be built around a star" as if it can't decide which to build around. You can select one or another star from the system map though.

this was a persistent issue with mod implementations of binary and trinary systems, i'm not too surprised that the official version ran into the same engine issues since it probably implements them in the same way: an invisible center-of-gravity object acting as the "star", while the stars are orbital objects around the center of gravity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Tomn posted:

Out of curiosity, what are you using those slots for? I don't usually go with heavily militaristic empires and I find that once I can afford the energy it's a pretty sweet deal filling up the empty slots with assisting scientists who can also thus be leveled up slowly to replace the head scientists as they die out.

I have 18 slots, 6 governors, 5 scientists, 6 admirals, 1 general. Until they raise the max fleet command, I have to have the admirals split up amongst my fleets, since they add a good 5-10k on their own for my main fleets.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Captain Invictus posted:

I have 18 slots, 6 governors, 5 scientists, 6 admirals, 1 general. Until they raise the max fleet command, I have to have the admirals split up amongst my fleets, since they add a good 5-10k on their own for my main fleets.

Update to 2.04 they already did

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh ok, I guess I haven't upgraded my fleet cap enough for it to go above 200, I've got the next 10 in the queue so that's why.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Captain Invictus posted:

Six governors? Good Lord. I just make one or two gigantic megasectors whenever I can. What's the advantage of multiple sectors, multiple resource silos when they start filling up for emergency use?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've got multiple sections across the galaxy that don't connect due to fallen empire claims or integrations. Until I can touch them together they need to be separate. But having multiple resource silos is nice too. :v:

It still remains that assist research is useless if your empire is big.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Captain Invictus posted:

I've got multiple sections across the galaxy that don't connect due to fallen empire claims or integrations. Until I can touch them together they need to be separate. But having multiple resource silos is nice too. :v:

It still remains that assist research is useless if your empire is big.
It's more useful if you want to play the scientist swap research minigame. Playing the scientist swap research minigame is a pain in the rear end though. Assist research would be better if you could press a button on the ship that made it automatically path to and assist the unassisted planet with the highest raw research production and swapping scientists didn't consist of multiple discrete click-heavy operations.

Also if that dumb thing where scientists don't get traits while researching wasn't a thing (yes I know there's a mod).

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I tend to make multiple sectors just because it feels more "realistic" for my sense of RP in this game. Then again I usually play on lower difficulty levels because once I hit a decent enough level of challenge I care more about making RP decisions work as opposed to min-maxing my empire.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I always thought it was strange that there's a maximum sector limit without any real mechanical reason to not create as few sectors as possible.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, it always seemed weird that there's a big thing of how difficult administration of multiple world's is yet you can have a sector with a huge amount of planets, like 10 times the core sector.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Would it make more sense if the inhabited system limit also applied to sectors? So if you can only have 5 inhabited systems, each sector can also only have 5 inhabited systems.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Sector AI handles itself slightly better when there are fewer planets for a sector to worry about, but since you can just manually build buildings and whatnot in sectors now it means a lot less.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That "lost to beauracracy" event for developing worlds seems like an awkward, but convenient, way to get tons of quick influence. I keep getting it and it nets me 144 influence in exchange for two ruined buildings and two really mad pops. Useful for quick expansion :v:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The whole game is just a series of awkward compromises between different half baked mechanics but I'm still enjoying myself somehow. Something about running a fictional state is just inherently fun and I wish they'd do their best a bit more to make the various components work well together, more interesting politics and espionage would be a great first step.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

The whole game is just a series of awkward compromises between different half baked mechanics but I'm still enjoying myself somehow. Something about running a fictional state is just inherently fun and I wish they'd do their best a bit more to make the various components work well together, more interesting politics and espionage would be a great first step.

This, I think better politics as well as a way to see the politics of neighbors would do a lot to make everyone more distinct and seem less generic

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I mean. They did just rewrite a huge amount of the game and discarded a lot of mechanics to make things work smoother because it wasn't working great before. Give them some time, they're doing a good job fixing things up. As someone who dumped a good 200 hours into the old version and have put almost half that into cherryh, it has been vastly improved since the original version.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Captain Invictus posted:

I mean. They did just rewrite a huge amount of the game and discarded a lot of mechanics to make things work smoother because it wasn't working great before. Give them some time, they're doing a good job fixing things up. As someone who dumped a good 200 hours into the old version and have put almost half that into cherryh, it has been vastly improved since the original version.

I've been playing Stellaris almost since launch, and I absolutely agree. I bring up my issues with factions and such only because I think they're a priority to be worked on; I have no doubt that he devs will address that kind of stuff eventually.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I'm pretty happy with the base game. At this point I'd like to see more developed flavor for all the nominally discrete variables. Like, other than robots, there's no real difference in the different species other than portraits. I would live events about things like plantoid species being grossed out by other species eating or temporary planetary happiness dips when a third if the population starts dropping spores, etc.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Yeah it kind of sucks that at some point I don't even really look at the portraits anymore because the biological nature of your species has no bearing on the game. I'm playing a plant empire but it might as well be a human empire or a space parrot empire, it doesn't really matter. It ought to matter.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Shibawanko posted:

Yeah it kind of sucks that at some point I don't even really look at the portraits anymore because the biological nature of your species has no bearing on the game. I'm playing a plant empire but it might as well be a human empire or a space parrot empire, it doesn't really matter. It ought to matter.

That's the tradeoff between customizable species and preset species :shrug:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

That's the tradeoff between customizable species and preset species :shrug:

Yeah I know, I don't want to lose the ability to customize my empire but some different kind of compromise must surely be possible. Maybe add a layer of biological traits that only apply to certain kinds of organisms, maybe have a few with small special traits, just anything to make it feel like the visuals are not just window dressing for a numbers game.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Shibawanko posted:

Yeah I know, I don't want to lose the ability to customize my empire but some different kind of compromise must surely be possible. Maybe add a layer of biological traits that only apply to certain kinds of organisms, maybe have a few with small special traits, just anything to make it feel like the visuals are not just window dressing for a numbers game.

Yeah, going back to the Endless well, I'd be extremely OK with adding something like "The Humanoid portrait group comes with +5% habitability on all worlds and an event chain about humanoids, Plantoid get +10% of their energy income as food and events about being a plant", WTFever. Although obviously, this would all fall apart as soon as somebody noticed whichever portrait group got +minerals.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

darthbob88 posted:

Yeah, going back to the Endless well, I'd be extremely OK with adding something like "The Humanoid portrait group comes with +5% habitability on all worlds and an event chain about humanoids, Plantoid get +10% of their energy income as food and events about being a plant", WTFever. Although obviously, this would all fall apart as soon as somebody noticed whichever portrait group got +minerals.

As a consequence, this would only work if all the species types played as radically different as robots or purifiers. It would be quite hard to do that without more granularity.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Omnicarus posted:

I think if tiles were replaced with hexes and you could have 6 potential adjacency bonuses it would be more better than the current tiles since you only get ~4 sides with squares.

I think hexes would be a nice thing if they are thinking about changing the way tiles work.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that's about where I was going with my 'specific race traits' idea. Something that can't be genemodded/robomodded, which makes having different races around more interesting.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

ZypherIM posted:

Stopping at cyborg is a pretty big mistake these days IMO.

I don't like manually building my pops, I don't like losing the flavor of different alien races, and I can use the extra ascension perk.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ulmont posted:

I don't like manually building my pops, I don't like losing the flavor of different alien races, and I can use the extra ascension perk.
Yeah, synths aren't the trap they used to be but looking at cyborg as just the entry point to synth is missing out on a neat standalone perk with solid mechanical benefits and good flavour.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

darthbob88 posted:

Although obviously, this would all fall apart as soon as somebody noticed whichever portrait group got +minerals.

The real simple answer to that is either none of them do, or the one that does has some penalties to make up for it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
So are there any folks who do good Stellaris runs on youtube? I've been working my way through Many A True Nerd's runs, his first one was a wee babby stellaris version with The Mighty Ducks, then he did one for Utopia with Space Romans(full livestreams and the highlights), and now he's doing Apocalypse with the manifestation of his cat in The Tabbys Empire. He is adorably incompetent at the game a lot of the time and charges forth full force with his terribly incorrect and uninformed assumptions about game mechanics and what's good or not(ohhhh, Disruptors, those are good, gotta have those) and seems to be blind to anything in the top 20% of the screen since he never pays attention to his alerts, but they're good fun to watch anyways especially with how things sometimes turn out.

And he just encountered this bug with the Enigmatic Fortress, where it never stops waking up and broke his quest log.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=506w3M0mmj4&hd=1&t=3406s

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
You could do interactions based upon species type as well as ethics types. Like Xenophobic Marmots might be somewhat cooler with other mammals rather than goddamn walking plants.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

You could do interactions based upon species type as well as ethics types. Like Xenophobic Marmots might be somewhat cooler with other mammals rather than goddamn walking plants.

This is already A Thing

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

This and a flavor event pack per species would go a long way. Outright bonuses tied to portraits might be a bit too much, or would have to be so pathetically small that you needn't bother.

Edit:

unwantedplatypus posted:

This is already A Thing

OK, maybe not a long way since I didn't notice.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Hey, I've got a new multiplayer game starting in a week (May 5), at 3:00 PM EST. We're trying out some mods that we've tested to make sure they won't cause issues, and we were able to run fine for over 3 hours in a test game.

Here are the mods we're using: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1365826852
Discord link: https://discord.gg/ZvWaBeN
You can also post what you want to play in this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3850158

Here's how the last game ended.

:rip: Organics.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

Hey, I've got a new multiplayer game starting in a week (May 5), at 3:00 PM EST. We're trying out some mods that we've tested to make sure they won't cause issues, and we were able to run fine for over 3 hours in a test game.

Here are the mods we're using: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1365826852
Discord link: https://discord.gg/ZvWaBeN
You can also post what you want to play in this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3850158

Here's how the last game ended.

:rip: Organics.

I love the red star in the eye of the skull, that's a nice touch

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

How does this game work for multiplayer? All my single player games take like 20 hours on fastest, so how do you get everyone together long enough to play a multiplayer game?

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

VikingofRock posted:

How does this game work for multiplayer? All my single player games take like 20 hours on fastest, so how do you get everyone together long enough to play a multiplayer game?
Weekly 3 hour sessions (sometimes 4 hours in previous eras of MapGoons). It does take about six sessions to make it through a game, but you have fellow nerds to banter with so it goes by faster than you think.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

VikingofRock posted:

We just try to schedule a time that works for as many players as possible, Saturday afternoon is a popular timeslot. Sessions are typically 3 or 4 hours, so a game can take several weeks. Player attrition is a problem of course and no game ends with as many players as it started.

Grammar-Bolshevik
Oct 12, 2017
How do you prevent sync errors?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Play in hotseat mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Grammar-Bolshevik posted:

How do you prevent sync errors?

Try the 2.0.5 beta, I think it's just multiplayer stability fixes.