Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out how to isolate a sound from a video game recording. I have some experience with Audacity, and I can find a lot of tutorials regarding vocal isolation and/or removal, but I'm trying to isolate sound effects -- I'm specifically trying to remove the music in the background. I think this can be done through some kind of subtractive editing -- I have the music sample, and I have the music sample I recorded with the sound effects. But I don't know how this is done, the tutorials I've viewed online aren't really that helpful or if they are they only talk about vocals which don't seem to work the same way as the weird Sega Genesis sound effects I'm trying to get. I know this is probably a complex problem, so maybe someone can at least point me to a resource or subreddit or something that I could find more information? The Audacity subreddit is pretty sparse, and other places get way into some serious understanding of sound waves and frequencies. I mean, maybe this is so complex one needs that level of understanding, but. But goddammit this is frustrating.

credburn fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

tuyop posted:

You can collect countless anecdotes about people who made money as landlords

<snip>

Likewise, if you did the same thing but were buying houses in, say, Detroit 20 years ago you’d be ruined.
Using Detroit as an example of how never to invest in real estate would be like using MCI as an example of never investing in a stock. Yes, it's true. It's also a very isolated incident.

I stand firm that if you are living in a college town where rents only go up and never go down, and you have some surety that you will spend 4+ years there (this is actually the biggest risk IMHO, is that after 1st semester the OP in question will decide to backpack Europe and quit college), purchasing a house and renting out rooms is a) the best business education you could get, b) a good place to park your money for 4 years.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

syscall girl posted:

I was ready with a flippant answer here but my faith in forums posters to really knock it out is restored so uh Dasvidanya

pozhalusta

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

photomikey posted:

Nielsen makes money based on how many people listen to the radio / watch TV.

Sort of, in the sense that their business model relies on people continuing to consume media, but it's not at all the direct relationship that you seem to be implying.

They sell data and measuring tools to networks and other content creators (and not just in radio and TV), but it's not like ABC is going to pay more for a report saying "show X is doing very well" then they will for a report saying "show X is doing just ok", and it's not like there's some per-viewer charge related to their reporting.

credburn posted:

the Audacity subreddit is pretty sparse, and other places get way into some serious understanding of sound waves and frequencies. I mean, maybe this is so complex one needs that level of understanding, but. But goddammit this is frustrating.

It's not a matter of understanding necessarily, so much as tools. Audacity is a fairly limited program. Adobe Audition has a "noise reduction" tool that does exactly what you are looking for, you can select a sample of any sound file and use that as something you want to remove from any other sound file. There are other editors and DAWs with similar tools. But most likely it's something you'll have to pay for.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 29, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

NonzeroCircle posted:

I guess your cable is minijack to minijack, aka standard headphone size plugs?
Between the computers, yes. The connection from the computer to the stereo is a plug like that on one end and those red and white plugs on the other end.

Earwicker posted:

if I'm understanding correctly, the problem you're trying to solve is to get the audio signal from two different computers to come out of the same set of speakers?

the right way to do that is to have both computers going into a mixer, and then the speakers are connected to the mixer. or if you don't need both signals simultaneously you could use a receiver.
I don't know what either of those are. I don't technically need them both simultaneously, but I do like being able to swap between computers without having to switch the stereo to a different mode.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tiggum posted:

I don't know what either of those are. I don't technically need them both simultaneously, but I do like being able to swap between computers without having to switch the stereo to a different mode.

A mixer is a device that receives signal from multiple audio sources (like, a guitar, a computer, and a synth) and then combines all those signals and sends the master signal to the speakers, while also allowing you control the volume and panning of each source (and usually some basic eq functions for each source as well) with sliders and knobs.

A receiver is a device that receives signal from multiple audio sources (like, a CD player, a tape deck, and a radio) and simply allows you to choose between them before sending the signal on to the speakers. A basic component in most older hi-fi/stereo sound systems. Some of these also include basic eq functions.

You can get a used/basic functional version of either for pretty cheap these days.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 29, 2018

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

photomikey posted:

Using Detroit as an example of how never to invest in real estate would be like using MCI as an example of never investing in a stock. Yes, it's true. It's also a very isolated incident.

I get it, you think the risks are low but the returns are high. That's just impossible. The returns are high because the risks are high. A tree could crash on your investment or your tenants could launch you into a protracted and expensive legal battle, or any number of things could just totally wipe out your returns for many years.

To get pedantic, I'm not talking about investing in a stock, though. I meant index funds. Essentially, if you get ruined when investing in a bunch of index funds, it means the world is basically ending because every sector of the economy is crashing dramatically and your portfolio is probably the least of your worries. The returns are low to reflect that risk, historically about 7% a year.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

photomikey posted:

No it really isn't. It's just the most well known example. The exact same process occurred in many, many smaller cities and towns all over the US.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Earwicker posted:

It's not a matter of understanding necessarily, so much as tools. Audacity is a fairly limited program. Adobe Audition has a "noise reduction" tool that does exactly what you are looking for, you can select a sample of any sound file and use that as something you want to remove from any other sound file. There are other editors and DAWs with similar tools. But most likely it's something you'll have to pay for.

Well, you're not the first person who has recommended Audition over Audacity for some things. Maybe it's time I looked into it.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Photomikey I'm glad that your home buying has worked out well, but it's still a risky idea if viewed as an investment. You should buy a house because you want to live in it, not because it's "an investment." I'm not saying being a landlord is a bad or impossible job, but it's not something to take lightly, and it's not at all a sure thing in terms of succeeding vs financially hurting yourself.

photomikey posted:

On the house as a whole, over 4 years, you are probably most likely to break even. However, over that same timeframe, you'd have paid tens of thousands in rent - it's a pretty good savings.

Like this statement kind of sums up why the "renting is throwing money away" idea is a mental trap. You are right that 4 years is, roughly speaking, probably about the break-even time for buying vs renting. But the second statement there doesn't belong! Are you breaking even, or are you saving the tens of thousands that you would have put towards rent?

4 years ish is the break-even point exactly because the incredible amount of money you "throw away" when buying a house, weighed against the not-thrown-away money (principal) you've put towards your mortgage, is equal to the amount of money you would have "thrown away" in the form of rent. In other words, at the end of 4 years, you've put X dollars towards principal, you've paid Y in money you'll never see again (interest, closing costs, maintenance, maybe PMI, etc), and Y-X = how much it would have cost to rent during those 4 years. So even at 4 years you have a long way to go until you've actually "made money" on owning the house. I think it's helpful to take all of the money you never see again when buying and owning a house, and pretend that it's rent (since the money that goes towards principal, you will hopefully see again), and if that "rent" is a good deal over the time frame involved, then good.

I strongly encourage everyone who is ever thinking about buying a house to read the first couple of posts of the excellent BFC house buying thread, including the part in post 2 about why "Renting is throwing away money" is a myth. And to actually put some cold hard calculations to the situation, the NYT rent-vs-buy calculator is very informative. It breaks the finances down to "if you can rent a similar place for X/month or less, then it's not worth it to buy"

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

credburn posted:

Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out how to isolate a sound from a video game recording. I have some experience with Audacity, and I can find a lot of tutorials regarding vocal isolation and/or removal, but I'm trying to isolate sound effects -- I'm specifically trying to remove the music in the background. I think this can be done through some kind of subtractive editing -- I have the music sample, and I have the music sample I recorded with the sound effects. But I don't know how this is done, the tutorials I've viewed online aren't really that helpful or if they are they only talk about vocals which don't seem to work the same way as the weird Sega Genesis sound effects I'm trying to get. I know this is probably a complex problem, so maybe someone can at least point me to a resource or subreddit or something that I could find more information? The Audacity subreddit is pretty sparse, and other places get way into some serious understanding of sound waves and frequencies. I mean, maybe this is so complex one needs that level of understanding, but. But goddammit this is frustrating.

If it's literally a Sega Genesis, I would strongly recommend coming at this from the other angle. If you just need the sound effects, someone has probably already ripped them in sega's sound format(s) and you can convert them. If you need the timing to be exactly as in some recording, then at the very least you can probably use a rip of the exact music to aid in your subtractive editing.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Earwicker posted:

That really, really, really doesn't work a drat with anything but constant hiss or hum.

credburn posted:

I think this can be done through some kind of subtractive editing -- I have the music sample, and I have the music sample I recorded with the sound effects.
What you want is to exactly align the music sample with the music sample with the sound effects, so they play together. Like, extremely exactly, individual sample point level accuracy. Then you need to invert the polarity of just the music sample. That is all. When they play together now, the music should be gone. The theory is great, real life results not guaranteed. This depends on the music playing at exactly the same loudness, at exactly the same speed, which may not sufficiently be the case for music that was generated live.

You're probably better off googling whether someone else has done the work for you though.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Flipperwaldt posted:

That really, really, really doesn't work a drat with anything but constant hiss or hum.
What you want is to exactly align the music sample with the music sample with the sound effects, so they play together. Like, extremely exactly, individual sample point level accuracy. Then you need to invert the polarity of just the music sample. That is all. When they play together now, the music should be gone. The theory is great, real life results not guaranteed. This depends on the music playing at exactly the same loudness, at exactly the same speed, which may not sufficiently be the case for music that was generated live.

You're probably better off googling whether someone else has done the work for you though.

I did see a video where this theory was put in practice. So, my only real concern here is that I don't know if the sound output of, say...oh, how can I explain this?

Imagine you have a two second block of sound. One is the music, right? Doo dee doo dee, but then the other is identical, but it also has a sound effect. On an SNES, often times one of the eight sound channels used for music is used instead. On the Genesis, I think the process is even more bizarre, but my point is, the music track and the music track with sound effects I don't think CAN align because...it's not like one is the same sound but without this other sound, it's like, genetically a different sound. God I suck at this kind of ... words...

Anyway, one would think someone has done the work, but I can't find it. If anyone else can, please let me know! The music is easy to find. The game itself has a sound test but it just plays the music, no sound effects. Interestingly, one can import the ROM into Audacity as raw data and you can find sound samples that way. Like, hidden at the end of a bunch of white noise. But it seems this particular game (Phantasy Star IV) only use four or five samples, and the rest generated in the synthesizer itself.

Edit in case anyone is interested: I did manage to pull off the inverted double-track thing. I'd be interested to know what the science is behind that, but I think it's over my head. Unfortunately, the trick didn't really work. The music was almost silent (percussion still kind of crept in) but when the sound effect occurred (in this case, the sound of walking down stairs) it was like all the music came back with it.

credburn fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 30, 2018

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I want to run some Ethernet cabling in my attic, which has blown insulation. How can I best protect myself without sweating to death while crawling around up there?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

hooah posted:

I want to run some Ethernet cabling in my attic, which has blown insulation. How can I best protect myself without sweating to death while crawling around up there?

Depends on what material it is. A lot of blown insulation is cellulose, which is fine to touch and wade in. Fiberglass not so nice.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Hmm, I didn't know blown insulation is often something nicer. How do I tell?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Cellulose looks like pillow filling. Big chunks of it. Fiberglass looks like cotton candy. It just tastes worse.

Cellulose, just climb around and try not to fall through the ceiling. Fiberglass, you're going to want to have every inch of skin covered.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
If it's fiberglass, disposable hooded coveralls cost like five dollars and I'll tell you for free I wouldn't be going anywhere near it without them. Buy a size bigger than you think you'll need so you can get them off easier.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

hooah posted:

Do it at 4am.

Seriously. Start it early enough in the morning so that you can be completely finished before the sun has a chance to heat everything up.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Earwicker posted:

Sort of, in the sense that their business model relies on people continuing to consume media, but it's not at all the direct relationship that you seem to be implying.

They sell data and measuring tools to networks and other content creators (and not just in radio and TV), but it's not like ABC is going to pay more for a report saying "show X is doing very well" then they will for a report saying "show X is doing just ok", and it's not like there's some per-viewer charge related to their reporting.

Plus this "scam" would immediately fall apart once advertisers saw they were getting no return on their investment. Just like how they figured out banner ads were worthless.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Memento posted:

If it's fiberglass, disposable hooded coveralls cost like five dollars and I'll tell you for free I wouldn't be going anywhere near it without them. Buy a size bigger than you think you'll need so you can get them off easier.

Ooh, this is good to know, thanks. They have them at Lowe's or Home Depot? I'm pretty sure it's fiberglass, but I haven't looked up there in a while.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
There's a place I want to go that's about 35 minutes out of the city, in the direction of the middle of nowhere.

I want to book an Uber/Lyft/etc to it, and their apps show they service that area. Is there a way to give a courtesy heads-up to the driver that we're going way the gently caress out there (and there likely won't be anyone else there to pick up) in the event they don't want to make the drive?

I know some drivers are fine with it, but some might want to stick closer to the city.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

PRADA SLUT posted:

There's a place I want to go that's about 35 minutes out of the city, in the direction of the middle of nowhere.

I want to book an Uber/Lyft/etc to it, and their apps show they service that area. Is there a way to give a courtesy heads-up to the driver that we're going way the gently caress out there (and there likely won't be anyone else there to pick up) in the event they don't want to make the drive?

I know some drivers are fine with it, but some might want to stick closer to the city.
The app always has an option to call your driver after you get them, so just do that. I've also had Uber drivers call me before pickup, ask where I was going, and reject the fare.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Your uber driver probably makes more money doing a 35 minute deadhead than he would puttering around the city doing multiple 0.6 mile trips for that same timeframe.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I'm considering emigrating from the U.S. to Europe (probably France) in the future (probably at the very least a year or two out). Is there a thread I can read/post in for advice? I didn't see anything specific to France in the LAN or Goonmeet forums.

Mr. Crane
May 16, 2009

The deranged
golem-android is both beautiful and dangerous.
Where did Josh "Livestock" Boruff go?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

hooah posted:

Ooh, this is good to know, thanks. They have them at Lowe's or Home Depot? I'm pretty sure it's fiberglass, but I haven't looked up there in a while.

Yeah, I can't find the ones I looked up at Bunnings (here) but the Home Depot equivalent are here.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

where can I buy bulbous rubber nozzles that attach to syringes?

Qubee fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 1, 2018

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Online shopping in California

If I order a MacBook directly from Apple, and have it delivered to my cousin who lives in San Diego so he can bring it over to me in whatever country I live in. Do I have to pay CA sales tax on that purchase? Is there any way to circumvent the tax but still have it delivered to CA? The only person I trust enough to do this is my cousin in California so I can't just ask someone in a non-sales tax state.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

He’d have to order it online from another vendor, I’m sure Apple would charge sales tax.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
I've seen discussion around these forums about what to look for when buying quality sheets but I forgot the details. I know threadcount is overrated, so what am I looking for instead and how much should it cost?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Killing Loaf posted:

I've seen discussion around these forums about what to look for when buying quality sheets but I forgot the details. I know threadcount is overrated, so what am I looking for instead and how much should it cost?

After taking this very seriously and reading these things:

https://home.howstuffworks.com/home-decor/bedroom/thread-count.htm
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-sheets/

I just bought a set of Amazon basics for like 25CAD and they’re perfectly nice and I like them.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Killing Loaf posted:

We really like the Threshold sheets from Target. I think we've got the Performance series. With a king size bed, having the elastic all the way around is great at preventing the sheet from riding up on the sides. We don't use our bed suspenders anymore.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
A pigeon built a nest in the window next to my desk. Is it unsanitary to spend a lot of time close to a pigeon or can I just let it do its thing?

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

hooah posted:

We really like the Threshold sheets from Target. I think we've got the Performance series. With a king size bed, having the elastic all the way around is great at preventing the sheet from riding up on the sides. We don't use our bed suspenders anymore.

Thanks! One of the links tuyop posted also recommended these for their budget option. I picked up a set so I'll see how I like them.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

He’d have to order it online from another vendor, I’m sure Apple would charge sales tax.

Thanks, do you have any suggestions on which vendor would no charge sales tax in CA?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Saeku posted:

A pigeon built a nest in the window next to my desk. Is it unsanitary to spend a lot of time close to a pigeon or can I just let it do its thing?

If you plan on opening the window at any time you should probably discourage it. If you're willing to leave it closed for a summer then leave them alone and watch some little birdies grow up. Always be careful around bird nests though because some nasty mold and bacteria grow in them. When you do remove it I would use a long pole and it's best to wear a good filter mask.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Killing Loaf posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9IBaYrtkQU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

fish and chips and dip posted:

Thanks, do you have any suggestions on which vendor would no charge sales tax in CA?

I’d just go to amazon, find the model you want, then start adding the lowest priced one to your cart. When you go to check out it will list the tax. Repeat until you see one without tax.

The “Honey” extension for Chrome can do this automatically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

CrazySalamander posted:

If you plan on opening the window at any time you should probably discourage it. If you're willing to leave it closed for a summer then leave them alone and watch some little birdies grow up. Always be careful around bird nests though because some nasty mold and bacteria grow in them. When you do remove it I would use a long pole and it's best to wear a good filter mask.

bird poop is nasty af and can also cause some respiratory diseases, or, a non microbial sensitivity in your lungs that presents itself as "bird lover's pneumonia," if you breathe it too much and get unlucky

I always wear a cheap n95 mask when i clean my chicken coop