Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Agreed 10000%. It's a fun watch but nowhere near as good as Desperado.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Most movies with titles that start "Once Upon a Time In..." tend to be pretty good but I've never seen the Jet Li (?) Once Upon a Time In China movies so I don't know how universal the rule is.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I never thought I'd ever be so impressed by Alexis Bledel as an actress, and tbh her Emmy win kind of prepared me for her to actually be giving a good non-Rory performance for once. She's really great The Handmaid's Tale-- and I can only imagine it gets better b/c I'm not too deep in yet. But the real shocker for me is Yvonne Strahovski as Serena Joy. I was super worried about her casting but she's killed it for me so far. I'm digging them casting her and Fred younger way more than I expected I would. It adds another layer to it that you don't get when they're both middle aged and greying.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

esperterra posted:

Accurate.

Desperado is great, and it is technically a series of movies! If you want fun crazy action though I'd recommend just Desperado and Once Upon a Time In Mexico. El Mariachi is very good, but Antonio Banderas is not in it and it was made on a budget of 5000 dollars. It's a really well made movie despite the tiny af budget Rodriguez used on it and worth a watch imo. But it's not as bombastic or stylish as the other two in the Mexico Trilogy. Desperado's the best of the three.

Oh yeah, I've totally seen them all. Desperado is just my favorite. I agree with Wheat Loaf -- there's a bit too much Johnny Depp in the last one, but he does have a suitably ridiculous arc.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wheat Loaf posted:

Desperado is the one good Robert Rodriguez sequel.

Once Upon a Time in Mexico is a fine movie but there's way too much of Johnny Depp's character and subplot and not enough of Antonio Banderas.

Yeah, but it has the world champion of pork dishes.
Cochinita pibil.

Mmmmm... i'm making some next week now.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Most movies with titles that start "Once Upon a Time In..." tend to be pretty good but I've never seen the Jet Li (?) Once Upon a Time In China movies so I don't know how universal the rule is.

The ones with Jet Li are good(1,2,3 and 6). I liked 1 the most, but 2 is also very good and has a higher rating on the Tomatometer iirc.

If you like Wuxia films then you should definitely make a point to watch at least the first two.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

I never thought I'd ever be so impressed by Alexis Bledel as an actress, and tbh her Emmy win kind of prepared me for her to actually be giving a good non-Rory performance for once. She's really great The Handmaid's Tale-- and I can only imagine it gets better b/c I'm not too deep in yet. But the real shocker for me is Yvonne Strahovski as Serena Joy. I was super worried about her casting but she's killed it for me so far. I'm digging them casting her and Fred younger way more than I expected I would. It adds another layer to it that you don't get when they're both middle aged and greying.

You are gonna love where she is by the end of season 1 and especially in season 2. She loving owns

Just finished Preacher season 2 last night and I have to disagree hard with people who didn't like it. The couple of slow episodes early were a bit snoozey, but from episode 6 or so until the end it was :perfect:

Especially everything involving The Grail and Eugene.

"I am not a homosexual." God drat Herr Star was inspired casting.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I had honestly been super worried with Bledel as Offred Ofglen, but her Emmy win and all the praise I heard my friends giving her and the show in general is def one of the things that pushed me over the edge. And finding out Atwood had been p decently involved. Hell, I had been worried about most of the casting that wasn't Moss, Wiley or Dowd. The show has put p much all my fears to rest. Excited to catch up and properly dive into S2 and the S2 thread.

Seriously blown away by Strahovski tho goddamn. And as far as objectification goes I'd be Joseph Fiennes' Scrabble partner any day iykwim. I'm equal opportunity, y'all!

esperterra fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Apr 30, 2018

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So what's Dr Smith's endgame here other than just putting everybody against everybody

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"Doctor" "Smith".

incidentally, this is the best song i can think of that directly references the original show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjRaJjVR330

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

God, the description of "Braxton Family Values"

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Calaveron posted:

So what's Dr Smith's endgame here other than just putting everybody against everybody

Get the robot as her bodyguard so when they go back to the big ship, they can't jail or execute her.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Also it really can't be healthy for John to pass out over and over and over

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The dynamic of having an evil unhelpful prick on your team that you can't get rid of because you need their skills is a really really strong source of drama, tension and character conflicts, it's amazing this reboot managed to make it dull.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

The dynamic of having an evil unhelpful prick on your team that you can't get rid of because you need their skills is a really really strong source of drama, tension and character conflicts, it's amazing this reboot managed to make it dull.

Because her only skill is being manipulative which as far as I know isn’t a skill they need to get off the planet or solve their inter familial conflicts

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Wheat Loaf posted:

don't worry, it's universal

the Once Upon a Time in Chinas with Jet Li are loving rad

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
https://twitter.com/andmichaelgreen/status/990791662157709312

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Twitter is such a bad website to write longform on.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Kings and Jack and Bobby were such weird blips on the TV landscape.

Aside, but am I the only one that thinks Community Seasons 5 and 6 were just so, so bad?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The problem with Kings was that the lead role was played by a loaf of white bread

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 30, 2018

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Kings was a cool show, wasn't great but it could have gotten another season.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

esperterra posted:

Bledel as Offred

Ofglen

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

lmao thanks, idk how I didn't notice that before.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I never watched the last episode of Kings

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Kings was awesome and I'm still lighting a candle for it yearly. :( Its second season could've been rad.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

FilthyImp posted:

Aside, but am I the only one that thinks Community Seasons 5 and 6 were just so, so bad?

I just finished watching Community for the first time not too long ago and while there is a definite change in the show for the last two seasons I think there are a number of strong episodes and I think the ending works really well, things change, people leave, but life goes on.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I can't imagine anyone thinking 5 and 6 were worse than 4 to the point that I kinda disregard their opinion in every possible other thing.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

The problem with Kings was that the lead role was played by a loaf of white bread

That was also when summer was still where shows just got burned off.

But yeah what an amazing supporting cast to one of the most dead weight main character casting choices I've ever seen.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

Kings and Jack and Bobby were such weird blips on the TV landscape.

Yes, you are. Season 5 was nothing special but Season 6 is great.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aw man Syfy passed on Kevin Bacon's Tremor reboot series

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Mayhaps Freeform can pick it up as a YA reboot

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

IRQ posted:

That was also when summer was still where shows just got burned off.

I kind of miss when summer was like that. It brings back fond memories of playing in the backyard and coming inside to watch reruns of The Simpsons or the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air when it started getting dark.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The pitch for Kings feels like it should be some network's 10pm prestige series, or in modern times should have been a Hulu/Netflix pickup. Network reorganizations can be a bitch.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I just finished watching Community for the first time not too long ago and while there is a definite change in the show for the last two seasons I think there are a number of strong episodes and I think the ending works really well, things change, people leave, but life goes on.
I got interested a few years back when it was on one of the local digital channels for, like, 9pm reruns. The D&D/RPG episodes hooked me, but I only just finished it recently.

I definitely liked the ending, even if it was a little too Family Matters for me to really buy it (Jeff, honestly, is in a pretty lovely place professionally without the rest of the group). Honestly I feel like I have brain damage because I can buy most of S4, but Repilot feels like it was a newsgroup pitch of an episode, and S6 feels like they forgot how to write the characters. I guess most of that is the new group dynamics (Frankie never landed for me) and the feeling they were killing time to fulfill #6Seasons.

The after-credits shorts were pretty good, though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MissBrittHayes/status/990713195374546944

Do you not?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Season 6 of Community was the best of the post-firing seasons, adding Keith David and Paget Brewster did a lot to shake up the show. The virtual realty episode alone would fit in with the best if season 2 or 3.

Vanderdeath posted:

Kings was awesome and I'm still lighting a candle for it yearly. :( Its second season could've been rad.

There's a podcast I listen to called Cancelled Too Soon that covers TV shows that ran for only one season or less and I liked their episode on it because while the show had a lot of promise it also had a fair amount of problems that may or may not have been addressed or improved upon if it was renewed.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Hey, I've read people recommend Leftovers as a show similar to Lost and just good in general. But I'm 3 episodes in and nothing in this show makes sense - unrelatable characters doing crazy inexplicable things with no rhyme or reason, everyone's insane, crying and self-destructing with no explanation to the viewer. Like, every scene hints at some deeper mystery or motive but in an incredibly indecipherable way.
Show might just not be for me, but, hey, maybe it gets better later on, because at the moments it's all over the place in a very frustrating way.
Should I continue watching?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The 3rd episode is good and gets a little better as it goes a long. Are there some characters that are really annoying? They get rid of all of them in season 2.

If you don't like episode 3 it might not be for you. Lost is garbage by the way.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Monglo posted:

Hey, I've read people recommend Leftovers as a show similar to Lost and just good in general. But I'm 3 episodes in and nothing in this show makes sense - unrelatable characters doing crazy inexplicable things with no rhyme or reason, everyone's insane, crying and self-destructing with no explanation to the viewer. Like, every scene hints at some deeper mystery or motive but in an incredibly indecipherable way.
Show might just not be for me, but, hey, maybe it gets better later on, because at the moments it's all over the place in a very frustrating way.
Should I continue watching?

The prevailing sentiment is that Seasons 2 and 3 are all-time great TV, but you have to slog through Season 1 in order to get to those.

I have yet to make it past the Season 1 pilot.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I felt that way about basically the whole 1st season of Leftovers. You've basically got to accept that every single person left on Earth is dealing with some profound loss and unanswerable questions and that's fine I guess, but it wasn't the kind of show I really looked forward to watching. The 2nd and 3rd season are much better in my opinion if you bother to make it that far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If you like everything to be explained and all loose ends to be tied up, you will not like the Leftovers.