Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Agronox posted:

Has it? I don’t actually know but some of the later stuff sounded interesting. But I don’t think we’d get anything new anyway unless there was something to promote, and with the author on what seems to be a permanent hiatus...

The later novels are similar in quality to the already adapted ones , which means that they need a studio to make a greatly improved anime version. Whether or not modern Kyoani can do it is certainly up for debate.

There are definitely some ideas in the later novels that I want to see animated though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Terper posted:

It'll probably be kinda difficult to avoid spoilers around episode 11-12~, ganbatte.
the reactions to the newest episode have made me curious but i'll remain strong, thank you brother

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Linnaeus posted:

The later novels are similar in quality to the already adapted ones , which means that they need a studio to make a greatly improved anime version. Whether or not modern Kyoani can do it is certainly up for debate.

There are definitely some ideas in the later novels that I want to see animated though.

noted bad anime maker, modern kyoani

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

you say that but we're fresh off the heels of violet evergarden

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

more like flopani lmao

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I did not watch Evergarden, did it turn out bad?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

yes

e: it's a show where most people didn't like the main plot at all and one of the "better eps" was an age gap romance

Motto fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 29, 2018

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
I liked Violet Evergarden. It was uneven, but overall enjoyable.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Motto posted:

one of the "better eps" was an age gap romance

:thunk:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Motto posted:

one of the "better eps" was an age gap romance
I didn't finish violet evergarden past episode 2 but tbf one of the best shows from last season was love is like after the rain, so

But that show was never actually about the romance itself, so

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
oh no age gap

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

age gap FTW

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I've never seen violent evergreen and see no way this stance could backfire on me

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

VE has a weird alt-history thing going on but basically the age gap is your typical period setting nobles arranging a marriage thing and this is the first i'm seeing any hot takes about it being bad or gross

the episode was good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the man with the kindred spirits avatar making disgusted hot takes about age gap romances

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

if it didn't cost money I would've changed or removed it a while ago, I don't like having it for multiple reasons.

e: also I remembered people making jokes about that ep so I assumed they weren't too up on it

Motto fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 29, 2018

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

im not up on any of the show

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

hard to believe motto hates women

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Sure Violet Evergarden had rough spots but Kyoani was able to take pretty much 99% of the iffy stuff out of the Maid Dragon manga for the anime. And also improved on the story too!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well it was more like 75%...

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Nate RFB posted:

I did not watch Evergarden, did it turn out bad?

The really, really good episodes were in the second half. Just scrolling through the thread for the show indicates when these episodes hit.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Aurora posted:

hard to believe motto hates women

:thunk:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

violet evergarden had some good individual episodes but was overall kinda eh, but it was kyoani's weakest director working with insanely weak material

and it still had some spots that were highlights for insanely talented young staff who will no doubt be kyoani lifers so its still a pretty positive sign for kyoani even if as a whole it isnt great

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

it might have been better if they actually adapted the material

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

from what i saw of the books not really but admittedly hasty google translations of the novels in order to go 'woah they didnt just straight adapt the novel!!' arent exactly the best impression

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

VE ended up being one of the better last season shows and the animation is lovely. I would say watch it if you don't mind a sketchy plot/characters other than Violet.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Violet Evergarden was pretty drat good for my money and it made me cry like 3 times, which is practically an objective measure of quality. It was definitely a real stand out last season.

Also the best ep was probably the sick mom one. Good lord that was emotionally charged.

Davincie posted:

The books sound pretty crappy, actually. Stuff like Violet being some sort of amnesiac demi-god who kills people with a giant axe and the Major actually being alive in the end ruin the entire thing imo.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Nephthys posted:

Violet being some sort of amnesiac demi-god who kills people with a giant axe
Sounds like they removed all the interesting parts of Violet's arc and forgot to replace them with anything else. I mean yeah that sounds pretty silly but almost anything is better than nothing. :v:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 29, 2018

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Sindai posted:

Sounds like they removed all the interesting parts of Violet's arc and forgot to replace them with anything else. I mean yeah that sounds pretty silly but almost anything is better than nothing. :v:

From what I understand the first part is only implied as the explanation for why shes so good at killing so its not a big focus and the second is just this really stupid thing that comes out of nowhere when she surfs down a mountain on the axe.

Also the show is far stronger to have Violets growth take place over the whole thing and not just a few episodes, which a lot of lesser shows would probably do.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
VE, to me is definitely a middle of the road show in the previous season. It's extremely pretty, but if you're not invested in Violet's character by the second half, you might as well drop it because it's just about her at that point. A lot of the big emotional development was end loaded into the season as opposed to being spread out which seems like a misstep, IMO. There are bits and bobs of development, but does get overshadowed by the more episodic plots in those episodes.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Davincie posted:

thet announced a new gits a few months back

Best.

Timeline.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Wait what's wrong with Kindred Spirits?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Wait what's wrong with Kindred Spirits?

Nothing is wrong with Kindred Spirits, but one of the couples is an age gap romance between a student and a teacher.

e; vv

Spiritus Nox posted:

The teacher is fresh out of college

She's not, actually, which is the only time I can think of where KS doesn't ace the landing. If they'd made her a student teacher they could have minimised the gap, but instead she's been teaching for a few years.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Apr 30, 2018

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Lemon-Lime posted:

Nothing is wrong with Kindred Spirits, but one of the couples is an age gap romance between a student and a teacher.

Oooh oh boy that could be bad if mishandled.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Its not handled great but its not handles horribly either is my take. Theyre the least interesting coupl3 even outside of that tho

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I mostly remember the story layering on the justifications so thick - The student is a third year and really tall and mature! The teacher is fresh out of college and really short and cute! - that I found myself more distracted by the artificiality of it all than anything.

Kindred Spirits is really good overall tho

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
In novels like Kindred Spirits isn't part of the point is to be a fantasy? There's probably lesbians in highschool with a crush on a teacher who appreciate the outlet where they can ignore the complications of real life.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

thats fair but there's good and bad ways of writing that kind of thing imo, not even necessarily in terms of the problematique even but just making it feel like something you can invest in even if its not a fantasy you've had before. same as like, any other story that deals in fulfilling a fantasy. people who aren't attracted to men can still be into otome games if the characters are well written and the relationships seem believable, even if the primary thing the story is trading in is men being attractive.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
their stuff is a bit odd but it's not a dealbreaker for the rest of ks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I thought it was fine, like Nox says they give it their all to try and justify it and it has one of the funniest scenes in the game.

• Locked thread