Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I can understand not being able to fit in fights for everyone now that the crew's so big but there's no excuse for robin. chopper's been neglected since law stole his thunder too but the I don't think they all need a fight every arc. just, y'know, more than one ever would be cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I get that crew size is a story problem but that's kind of Oda's own fault for not foreseeing that juggling nine crew members and various arc-based supporting characters all at once would be extremely difficult.

It's the main reason I'm both curious and a little worried about Wano. We're going to have the whole group together and Law and his pirates and all the Wano specific characters. It's a lot of plates to spin at once and while Whole Cake has restored a lot of my faith in the series I also feel like it could fall back into being a slog really easily.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
They just don't have good reasons to fight. Sanji only fought because of family stuff, Zoro has to, usopp wants to be a great warrior so he has to and so does Luffy. Frankie only fights to show off robot stuff really. The rest of the crew don't have to fight to love out their dreams so yeah whatever bring in New people to do it like law and the animal people

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
Carrot will fight Jinbe to claim her space on the Straw Hat Crew.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I think some variety would go a long way for Robin. Everyone has all kinds of cool moves but all Robin does are giant stomps and sorta samey submissions. I think her non-combat power use is much more visually interesting.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'd like to see them fight more, obviously, but they at least aren't put in situations where they should be fighting then just don't for whatever reason, such is the fate of characters in plenty of other series. Chopper still got involved in this arc, in particular being the one to capture Brulee; he didn't get given an opportunity to have a proper fight, but I never felt like there was a battle that could potentially be given to him that the story essentially contrived to stop him having, and the same goes for Robin. I'm a lot happier to tolerate that, although they do both need another solid fight under their belts at some point.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 29, 2018

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Robin's ability to make clones of herself is criminally underutilized.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

robins abilities in general could make for really weird and dynamic fights. my guess is oda just doesn't know what to do with her in a fight and so hasn't bothered

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

The problem with Robin is that in the new world, she kind of needs Haki to start winning fights against opponents with powerful fruits, but Haki combined with her fruit would also just make her completely overpowered. Being able to damage people through devil fruits would basically eliminate the only defense most people have against just immediately getting their necks broken by hands sprouting out of their bodies.

Come to think of it, Robin's only fight was against an insanely fat dude with no neck. We need more moderately strong fat guys for Robin to fight so that it's fair.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

This arc has been some loving good One Piece. Hats off, looking forward to Wano and Reviere.

Hey guys, let's not whine about crew member fights again! There are a million stupid fight mangas out there where everyone gets fights, may I recommend Bleach. Or if not let's join hands and cherish the rare shounen manga with a proper good story and fascinating characters. It's also great that it is April 2018 and the Whole Cake arc is wrapped up. I just don't see how "more stuff" or "more fights" is what this manga needs. For this arc specifically I am just not sure what should have been cut to make space for more crew member fights. Pedro? Katakuri? Perospero? The tamatebako? Lola's dad? Fishman stuff? These are all things to cherish so much more than a Chopper fight.

Think of this way, this manga is moving closer to a story manga than a fighting manga over time and it is simply better for it.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I can't wait for the Wano Arc to start so we can see Zoro encounter a samurai named Zolo who looks eerily like him.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Manatee Cannon posted:

he also wears open shirts buddy

Despite the misguided efforts if the state, Hawaiian Shirts are not part of a suit.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TheLoneStar posted:

I can't wait for the Wano Arc to start so we can see Zoro encounter a samurai named Zolo who looks eerily like him.

What really needs to happen is that he fights a guy named Kitsune who dresses like an aristocrat from Spanish California and wields a rapier.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Bisse posted:

Think of this way, this manga is moving closer to a story manga than a fighting manga over time and it is simply better for it.

what does that even mean?

Huge epic fights are at the core of this series, like, Toteland is one of the best arcs we've ever had and it's loaded with fighting, as soon as the crew set foot on Whole Cake Island they were fighting a forest and mirror lady, fighting a cracker dude, fighting a bunch of mooks to get to Sanji, who promptly fought Luffy and then they got captured for a bit only to escape and fight a bunch more until they settled down for long enough to eat and team up with Capone, who's plan to avoid fighting lasted as long as it did only because Big Mom's crew had a plan in place that started before theirs and thus more fighting happened, and then the escape happened which was basically a long drawn out fight against Big Mom and her armada. There's also a bunch of stealth missions and sleuthing for information and poo poo going on around all that fighting, too.

Saying One Piece has more story than fights has me wondering what manga you're actually reading.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

I think that poster just means that in a given arc you don't have the kind of "pair up and go fight" with every crew member the way it was in Alabasta or Enies Lobby. Dressrosa had this to some extent, but Oda had to cut the crew in half and even then he still shorted Usopp and Robin on real fights.

There's still a ton of fighting, but it's not central to each crew member's contribution the way it used to be.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Manatee Cannon posted:

I can understand not being able to fit in fights for everyone now that the crew's so big but there's no excuse for robin. chopper's been neglected since law stole his thunder too but the I don't think they all need a fight every arc. just, y'know, more than one ever would be cool

id also be cool if robin did lots of covert poo poo, snuck into some place and got some info and left and gave it to the crew that was vital to their success in some fashion. i dont think every character needs a fight, but it kinda sucks that robins relegated to plot dispenser while offering up some dark comedy every once in a while. shes rarely valuable in an arc itself.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

anime was right posted:

id also be cool if robin did lots of covert poo poo, snuck into some place and got some info and left and gave it to the crew that was vital to their success in some fashion. i dont think every character needs a fight, but it kinda sucks that robins relegated to plot dispenser while offering up some dark comedy every once in a while. shes rarely valuable in an arc itself.
...She...could just make an ear appear inside of a room with an important meeting or whatever going inside, right?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

pretty sure she's done that

anime was right posted:

yea that's true. the real problem is more that robin doesn't really do anything at all most of the time. there are some great jokes around her but they need to get her those poneglyghs fast

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Bisse posted:

I think it's been doing that since the end of Enes Lobby. I remember re-reading the series and realizing how few actual fights happened in Thriller Bark, with the big showcase fight being the team up against Oars. Other fights were either brief (chopper & robin vs hogback, sanji vs absalom) or fake out (Nami). Sabondy had no real fights, just general throw downs and big events happening before the disaster hit.
And after that it's usually only Luffy who gets fights with a real focus. x vs y "fights" (zoro vs monet or most of the dressrosa confrontations) are typically just brief confrontations presented on about the same level as, say, Brooke zapping Jora, or Carrot trouncing a bunch of ships during their escape. Totland in particular had very few actual fights and more...cool events, i guess? Carrot I mentioned, Brooke's moments had no actual on screen fight, the whole wedding situation wasn't REALLY a fight as it was total chaos, Pedro fought Tamago but that was more brief set up for his bombs, Nami's thunder nuke.

That said even with the criteria being "do something super cool" rather than "do a fight" Robin still gets the short end

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TheLoneStar posted:

...She...could just make an ear appear inside of a room with an important meeting or whatever going inside, right?

I want to see the Marines using seastone faraday cage cone of silence rooms to prevent this exact sort of thing now. Maybe we'll see it in this Reverie arc.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah a lot. Robin is the one who does not freak out.
Robin has freaked out exactly once, back during Dressrossa. Remember this panel?

As for the chapter, ah good old Luffy stupidity. Can't even read numbers properly so he thinks his bounty went down instead of way up. Keep on trucking, you lovable dunce.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Even when Robin One Piece freaks out her eyes don't bug and her jaw doesn't unhinge. Lady's unflappable.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well probably get her super freakout when they get to the poneglyphs.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I can’t see them popping back to Zou at any point in the future.

Carrot’s here to stay.

Can’t wait for Sanji to see Zoro and the inevitable fight.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Real Cool Catfish posted:

I can’t see them popping back to Zou at any point in the future.

Carrot’s here to stay.

Can’t wait for Sanji to see Zoro and the inevitable fight.

Remember that Zou is mobile, and has Momonosuke and his retainers on board. He’s going to be the vanguard of their invasion of Wano.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

SatansBestBuddy posted:

what does that even mean?
it means we get less 1v1 fights and more characters/intrigues/story progression

like "how will the vinsmokes and sanji interact now that he saved them but they mostly still kind hate each other" is way more interesting than "will zoro be able to beat X dude". It is still a big fight but the focus is more on character interactions than it used to be. I don't think we'll ever get another instance of the crew needing to 1v1 a bunch of opponents with one chapter per 1v1.

Also this leads to way more opportunities for crew members to do awesome poo poo without having to actually fight. Like Jinbei staring down Big Mom so that Brook could break the picture with stealth, Nami stole a piece of a warlord's soul and never even had to fight for it, and Sanji saved the crew with cooking. Chopper, uh, can go gently caress himself I guess?

Bisse fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Apr 29, 2018

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:
Chopper's doctorin'

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Bisse posted:

it means we get less 1v1 fights and more characters/intrigues/story progression

like "how will the vinsmokes and sanji interact now that he saved them but they mostly still kind hate each other" is way more interesting than "will zoro be able to beat X dude". It is still a big fight but the focus is more on character interactions than it used to be. I don't think we'll ever get another instance of the crew needing to 1v1 a bunch of opponents with one chapter per 1v1.

Also this leads to way more opportunities for crew members to do awesome poo poo without having to actually fight. Like Jinbei staring down Big Mom so that Brook could break the picture with stealth, Nami stole a piece of a warlord's soul and never even had to fight for it, and Sanji saved the crew with cooking. Chopper, uh, can go gently caress himself I guess?

Chopper's biggest moment this arc was capturing Brulee & Train dude while dealing with all the animal soldiers like Rudolf with the help of carrot

...maybe in wano, chopper.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
I'm just hype as hell that official government documents show that my boy Sanji has now definitively and forever proven his superiority over his sword-moron rival. No take-backsies. :colbert:

Get hosed, Moss-head.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
His feeling of superiority is great. He's going to lord it over Zoro all through Wano, and then Zoro's is going to skyrocket once the arc wraps up. Sanji is going to be so sad.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

My man Usopp is gonna get a bounty of 1 billion and piss off everyone who isn't Luffy

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

A friend linked me this, it is really cool

It got me thinking, what does each villain luffy defeats represent?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Extremely punchable faces?

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Extremely punchable faces?

go on

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
being hella tall

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

SatansBestBuddy posted:

being hella tall

continue...

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Broken dreams

Except maybe akainu I know basically nothing about him

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

If it wasn't for Akainu I'd say that they either were or looked like mob bosses.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Shugojin posted:

Broken dreams

Except maybe akainu I know basically nothing about him

I wonder why Oda chose those dreams for Luffy to break

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

hell astro course posted:

A friend linked me this, it is really cool

It got me thinking, what does each villain luffy defeats represent?

A fish, a croc, a kitty cat, a hot dog, a bird... and himself