Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Yeah Facebooks algorithm for putting news articles on your feed is poo poo. It takes a topic you've been reading recently and plasters articles about it all over your feed regardless of the age of said articles.

It also doesn't show the date of publication until you click on them which I think is sneaky clickbaiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Majestic posted:

Ouch.

I'll blame the Facebook algorithm which put this into my news feed then, saying it was posted by the SMH 12 hours ago.

In this case I'd rather be an idiot and wrong than have that be true, so I'll take the L.

Everyone gets burned by old SMH articles, you won't be the last.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/990559309367947265

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

The whole bikie thing was corporate sabotage on the competition?

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Anidav posted:

Yeah Facebooks algorithm for putting news articles on your feed is poo poo. It takes a topic you've been reading recently and plasters articles about it all over your feed regardless of the age of said articles.

It also doesn't show the date of publication until you click on them which I think is sneaky clickbaiting.

Yeah Facebook loves sticking 3 week old NBA articles in my feed. Even when I switch to the most recent feed. Fantastic stuff.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

If you think the news feed is bad for us, I set up a fake account to farm coins or some poo poo for one of those FB games where the more friends you have blah blah blah and as a laugh set my location as Timbuktu. The news feed was full of utterly fake stories about western movie stars dying in firefights and sports stars having humongous drug problems (probably closer to reality). Like, I saw multiple different stories about the Rock dying on set when guns went off it was crazy

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Lol at you loving dorks buying a game labelled 'early access' and then complaining that it is, in fact, not yet finished and full of bugs and demanding a refund.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
LAZ0RFACE

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Yes but some games never come out of early access like Ark or Elite Dangerous (kinda). They sort of just stick in the eternal beta status and launch expansion packs or something. It's kinda misleading from a consumer standpoint.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
It's a weird one "early access". You've sold a product for money, so I imagine it still attracts consumer guarantees versus calling it a "free beta" or whatever which means it isn't the actual product.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

asio posted:

The whole bikie thing was corporate sabotage on the competition?

Man 2018 is loving weird.

Anidav posted:

Yes but some games never come out, like Star Citizen

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

JBP posted:

It's a weird one "early access". You've sold a product for money, so I imagine it still attracts consumer guarantees versus calling it a "free beta" or whatever which means it isn't the actual product.

Steam takes the stance of telling you very, very clearly when you buy early access that you are buying it As Is and not some future hypothetical promised game. I'm guessing they don't want to test that one against ACL.

e: Actually it's not as clear as I remember. I think that's their refund policy which states that about EA games.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Elite Dangerous is great you idiot.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Anidav posted:

Yes but some games never come out of early access like Ark or Elite Dangerous (kinda). They sort of just stick in the eternal beta status and launch expansion packs or something. It's kinda misleading from a consumer standpoint.

Early Access games have a habit of stalling development once they get some money from suckers.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Anidav posted:

I am yet to see a game come out of early access that is actually of 'complete, retail' game standards. Pubg is 'out of early access' but its still a huuuuuuge pile of poo poo (on xbox, at least)

Early access purely exists because gamers have zero self control and publishers/devs know it.

JBP posted:

you are getting the game at a discounted price because it is unfinished, potentially broken and may never ever reach a retail release standard of quality.

I can see a refund being warranted for basically any :dice: game on release, but early access kind of spells out rather clearly that its going to have bugs and problems.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Best case scenario, you get the game totally spoiled for you while it's at its worst

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Laserface posted:

you are getting the game at a discounted price because it is unfinished, potentially broken and may never ever reach a retail release standard of quality.

I can see a refund being warranted for basically any :dice: game on release, but early access kind of spells out rather clearly that its going to have bugs and problems.

Unlike great full price full release titles that do not have bugs, like GOTY 2011-2017 Skyrim.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Laserface posted:

I am yet to see a game come out of early access that is actually of 'complete, retail' game standards.
KSP and The Long Dark are two games that come to mind that have gone full release and aren't shambling piles of junk. There's also Minecraft which really put early access out there as a concept. However, Mount and Blade predates even that and it too enjoyed a moderately decent release.

But then you have games like Rust, which can't figure out what they actually want to be during EA so they spend years in dev hell wildly trying new ideas but never actually releasing.

But like you say, EA exists because most gamers have the mentality of TAKE ALL MY MONEY NOW, which is why pre-orders are such a big thing too. And this poo poo is how you get the mountains of crap like Star Citizen.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I have no knowledge of video games since PlayStation 1, this thread has been informative over the last few days. How starved for stimulation are people that they would pay to play an unfinished product? I wouldn't watch a film that wasn't finished, especially if I could watch the finished product later

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Just because you label a game as early access doesn’t mean it can be a broken piece of poo poo. The risk should be on the developer/retailer, not on the consumer.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Now I want to know what you dumbos think about people who buy off the plan

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Solemn Sloth posted:

depends how old you are and if you're an investor

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

The same thing we do every night Pinko, try kill boomers all over the world!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Zenithe posted:

Unlike great full price full release titles that do not have bugs, like GOTY 2011-2017 Skyrim.

Counterpoint: if you buy any game in TYOOL 2018 and expect it to be complete and bug free at launch then you are an idiot.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Zenithe posted:

Elite Dangerous is great you idiot.

I tried to play that a while back with goons, and with the exception of GSC, I couldn't see any of them in-game. The netcode is garbage and can't handle the typical latency seen between Aus/US, so it kept instancing me off, even if I was grouped with them. We tried a bunch of poo poo to overcome this, but nothing worked.

So despite being a massively multiplayer online game, I couldn't actually play it as such, and in reality, I only ever saw a couple real players, which resulted in the game becoming a boring as gently caress space truck simulator.

gently caress Elite Dangerous.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Don Dongington posted:

I tried to play that a while back with goons, and with the exception of GSC, I couldn't see any of them in-game. The netcode is garbage and can't handle the typical latency seen between Aus/US, so it kept instancing me off, even if I was grouped with them. We tried a bunch of poo poo to overcome this, but nothing worked.

So despite being a massively multiplayer online game, I couldn't actually play it as such, and in reality, I only ever saw a couple real players, which resulted in the game becoming a boring as gently caress space truck simulator.

On the upside you already got the full No Man's Sky experience.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Knobb Manwich posted:

On the upside you already got the full No Man's Sky experience.

You're right, if you mean that the reality fell far short of what was promised :P

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Slay the Spire, Subnautica and Factorio have all used early access pretty well I think, in addition to the other titles mentioned.

EoinCannon posted:

I have no knowledge of video games since PlayStation 1, this thread has been informative over the last few days. How starved for stimulation are people that they would pay to play an unfinished product? I wouldn't watch a film that wasn't finished, especially if I could watch the finished product later

Sometimes it's more like watching the first film in a series before the second one is released. The series might get cancelled but what is out there is enjoyable enough in its own right.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Auspol's ranked political issues:
1 - NBN
2 - Steam Refunds
3 - Bicycle Helmet Laws
4 - Full Communism Now

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Don Dongington posted:

space truck simulator.

Maybe the game about trucking goods around space is not for you if you don't like space themed truck simulators?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Tokamak posted:

1 - NBN
1.1 - Mia
2 - Steam Refunds
3 - Bicycle Helmet Laws
4 - Full Communism Now

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Proposed crossover: Euro Space Truck Simulator

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
ACCC do star citizen next please.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tokamak posted:

1 - NBN
2 - Steam Refunds
3 - Bicycle Helmet Laws
4 - Full Communism Now

Sausage sandwiches.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

ACCC do star citizen next please.

I made $20 off star citizen.

Bought in in like 2014 for $80USD (~$80AUD)

Got a refund in 2016 for $80USD (~$100AUD)

I think I made more off that game than anyone ever will.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Reminder that as over-the-top negative as the forums are now about Star Citizen, the original thread was super invested in the game.

Something to keep in mind when discussing the people who have been suckered in.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

JBP posted:

I don't like anything about it. I'd rather play Skyrim.

I spent more time trying to set up Skyrim to be a cool hunter-mercenary-viking simulator with cool monsters, weather mechanics, increased lethality and cloathing mechanics than I did playing said moded game.

I started as a hunter in the woods and got eaten by wolves. Twice.

Then a troll ambushed me and it regenerated faster than I could hit it with my sword.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Don Dongington posted:

I made $20 off star citizen.

Bought in in like 2014 for $80USD (~$80AUD)

Got a refund in 2016 for $80USD (~$100AUD)

I think I made more off that game than anyone ever will, with the exception of the scam artists who will make off with millions of dollars off idiots who continue to pump money into it.

Ftfy

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Gridlocked posted:

I spent more time trying to set up Skyrim to be a cool hunter-mercenary-viking simulator with cool monsters, weather mechanics, increased lethality and cloathing mechanics than I did playing said moded game.

I started as a hunter in the woods and got eaten by wolves. Twice.

Then a troll ambushed me and it regenerated faster than I could hit it with my sword.

I just make Conan in every game that gives me the option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

CROM

• Locked thread