Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

OldAlias posted:

f12 induced hacker panic

i was on a website a week or so ago where they had one of those "roll over image and show the zoomed in section under your mouse" things but you couldn't click to just load the whole image in full anywhere, or even right-click on the image to open it alone. frustrating. so i F12d and found the image link and pasted it into a new tab and there it was, easy

the student behind me was stunned, like complete jaw-dropped shock, said "did you just...like...hack that website??"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
what's a good router with powerful antennae on a budget? I live in a weird house that's all right angles and weird spaces so I need something better than the lovely dlink dir-605l i have right now.

i'm in india so my range of options is limited

how bad is this thing (besides its looks)?

https://www.amazon.in/TP-Link-TL-WR941HP-450Mbps-Wireless-N-Router/dp/B01M3RVEQ4?ref=ast_p_ep

sorry if this post is a little scattershot, i've been looking at router reviews for about 1.5 hours so my mind has gone a little numb

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
antennae strength is limited by the FCC and anything you buy is going to be the allowed maximum. there's no such thing as a "powerful" one unless you flash the firmware into illegality in the usa but i have no idea what india allows, maybe you can get a ultra strength one there they couldn't sell in the states

get one that you like the features of because they're all going to be roughly of the same strength. throughput is a diff matter and they vary wildly based on how many dollars the company puts into the chipsets, i dunno ubiquiti is good for larger installations but i just got a random one from the wirecutter or whatever amazon said was their best seller and it works fine

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 8, 2018

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
drat how'd the fcc get control over the radio signals in india

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dodoman posted:

what's a good router with powerful antennae on a budget? I live in a weird house that's all right angles and weird spaces so I need something better than the lovely dlink dir-605l i have right now.

i'm in india so my range of options is limited

how bad is this thing (besides its looks)?

https://www.amazon.in/TP-Link-TL-WR941HP-450Mbps-Wireless-N-Router/dp/B01M3RVEQ4?ref=ast_p_ep

sorry if this post is a little scattershot, i've been looking at router reviews for about 1.5 hours so my mind has gone a little numb

look for separate WiFi antennas/access points for outdoor use. we have one like that in our office and it’s absurdly beefy

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

anthonypants posted:

drat how'd the fcc get control over the radio signals in india

by being a large enough market for consumer electronics over the last 60 years that global R&D for WiFi is focused on what will be allowed in the US

if you have a big place don’t think about a single AP, think about getting multiple APs that either mesh over WiFi (there’s a shitload of these and I’ve never used any) or have a wired backhaul (ubiquiti is the system you’ll get a lot of recs for)

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Don't the higher 5ghz channels let you go up to something silly on transmit power like 5W?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Don't the higher 5ghz channels let you go up to something silly on transmit power like 5W?

as i said, outdoor or indoor/outdoor transmitters

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Does it really matter what transmit power the access point has if the devices don't have similar power?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
those ubiquity ones seem to appeal coz if you need more than one then its good coz you wont have issues. if you have only one AP guess u can skimp a lot more

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I should be looking at the round ubiquiti AP models?

In any case these posts have been more helpful than the wirecutter articles with their weird graphs (though that might have just been my lack of sleep causing extra confusion)

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

ShadowHawk posted:

Does it really matter what transmit power the access point has if the devices don't have similar power?

everything in the house is either n or ac, would that be a problem?

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Bhodi posted:

antennae strength is limited by the FCC and anything you buy is going to be the allowed maximum. there's no such thing as a "powerful" one unless you flash the firmware into illegality in the usa but i have no idea what india allows, maybe you can get a ultra strength one there they couldn't sell in the states

get one that you like the features of because they're all going to be roughly of the same strength. throughput is a diff matter and they vary wildly based on how many dollars the company puts into the chipsets, i dunno ubiquiti is good for larger installations but i just got a random one from the wirecutter or whatever amazon said was their best seller and it works fine

India sells antibiotics recipe-free on street pharmacies, helping the next world-killing plague evolve by leaps and bounds. I’d guess they’re not that fussy on wlan amplitude.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dodoman posted:

I should be looking at the round ubiquiti AP models?

In any case these posts have been more helpful than the wirecutter articles with their weird graphs (though that might have just been my lack of sleep causing extra confusion)

if you plan to have more than one, then without a doubt

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
is this just a typo or is ecmascript declarative and not procedural or what?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Corla Plankun posted:

eczemascript is still procedural

but you gotta declare variables and var is how you declare a mutable one

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Corla Plankun posted:

javascript is the worst

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Cocoa Crispies posted:

eczemascript is still procedural

but you gotta declare variables and var is how you declare a mutable one

but then how can it be visible before it is even declared?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Corla Plankun posted:

Shaggar posted:

javascript is the worst

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Corla Plankun posted:

because the documentation is bad?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its not bad documentation. javascript considers it defined for the entire function, not just the for control block. in that code it exists prior to the declaration but the value is undefined. you could assign a value by doing myVarVariable="whatever" without declaring it before its declared in the for block.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

it's called variable hoisting. it's dumb, but never actually causes problems in real code.

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
the cool and good thing is, the declarations are hoisted but the assignments aren't. yay javascript.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

emails from my domain keeps getting spammed because they aren't authenticated. how do i stop this? i read something on MailChimp about modifying DNS records and routing it through them, is this all i would need to do?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

You need an SPF record.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

spankmeister posted:

You need an SPF record.

poo poo stile project forums have been dead for years good luck

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

spankmeister posted:

You need an SPF record.

thanks, this helped me find the right docs on Gandi to get it working. no more scary red checkmark by my emails now.

Agile Vector posted:

poo poo stile project forums have been dead for years good luck

also yeah spf record types are apparently deprecated, rip

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

why does hulu think that my IP address (for a residential comcast connection) is actually a VPN service that needs to be blocked?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Shaman Linavi posted:

thanks, this helped me find the right docs on Gandi to get it working. no more scary red checkmark by my emails now.

also yeah spf record types are apparently deprecated, rip
they're txt records but they still start with spf so we call them spf records

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

DuckConference posted:

why does hulu think that my IP address (for a residential comcast connection) is actually a VPN service that needs to be blocked?

They've seen what you watch with it and assumed that no one would ever do so were they not protected by an anonymizing product?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

DuckConference posted:

Maybe you go on a list of tor exit node IPs?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

DuckConference posted:

comcast ran out of ip addresses a few years ago so they have been buying IP blocks helter skelter

the prior owner of the block probably actually was a vpn service

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Okay I have no idea why this stupid poo poo isn't working but gently caress you bash

code:
while read -r line; do echo $line; done < Clients.txt
works fine, spits out line by line from the file with a bunch of IPs in it

code:
while read -r line; do host $line; done < Clients.txt 
nope. gently caress you. hundreds of not found: 3(NXDOMAIN) errors thrown back at me.

I just want to do this horseshit in powershell where it makes sense

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
install powershell

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

cool some stupid program was throwing in hidden carriage returns that were being parsed

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Shaggar posted:

install powershell

It's A Mac!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

cool some stupid program was throwing in hidden carriage returns that were being parsed

I once disabled spam filtering for my entire organization by editing a file using pico rather than vi this way. Still can't figure out how but it was like 12 years ago so :shrug:.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

powershell is available on linuxes now, including osx: https://github.com/PowerShell/PowerShell

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/scripting/setup/installing-powershell-core-on-macos?view=powershell-6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Okay I have no idea why this stupid poo poo isn't working but gently caress you bash

code:
while read -r line; do echo $line; done < Clients.txt
works fine, spits out line by line from the file with a bunch of IPs in it

code:
while read -r line; do host $line; done < Clients.txt 
nope. gently caress you. hundreds of not found: 3(NXDOMAIN) errors thrown back at me.

I just want to do this horseshit in powershell where it makes sense

stop using bash

use python or perl or something