Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Left Ventricle posted:

The car returned 31 miles per gallon

I believe it was rated either 29 or 30 highway when new!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Left Ventricle posted:

It was one of the preproduction units that got sent out to rental ... fleets.

The most 1980s GM reason possible, for a car to be historically significant.

Either that or "lol 1983 C4"

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Automobile Driving Museum?

Also, this is what dreams are AI is made of. Never stop loving the unloved, goon sire. :tipshat:

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
What's a becoo stick?

edit: VVVVVV that makes sense. I was pronouncing it "beck-oh" in my head.

Magnus Praeda fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 30, 2018

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Magnus Praeda posted:

What's a becoo stick?

When somebody gets heated, that stick will make 'em becoo again.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Magnus Praeda posted:

What's a becoo stick?

"Be cool, bro, be cool." *waves blunt object*

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Left Ventricle posted:

The car returned 31 miles per gallon, an impressive showing.

Dafuq? That's what my 4 cylinder M/T Saturn gets. Sometimes. (I got 29.34 on my last tank, which was driving to Austin from Dallas, with 1 stop - best tank has been 33.92 though). It's supposed to be "up to 35 highway". :sigh:

The last Saturn didn't do quite as well once it got close to 200k, it was doing 26-27 highway/22-24 city. This one has a lot less miles, plus 15" steelies instead of 16" alloys. The old one did hit 35, once, on the same trip, but it had about the same mileage this car has on it at the time (140k).

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That family of motors (3300/3800/etc) get AMAZING gas mileage on the highway for what they are. I know I post about the 3800 a lot and joke that it'll get "35 highway/11 city," but it's kind of true. IIRC the transmissions also just let the motor torque along at like 1100 RPM at 60-65. On my 88 Delta 88 it was set up like

1st>>>2nd>>>>>>>>>3rd>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>4th/OD.

Only downside is that, if you don't turn OD off, the car will hunt like a motherfucker anywhere between 45 and 65, even sometimes on level ground.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Left Ventricle posted:

The symptoms I was hoping to fix with the PCM swap were the cooling fans not turning on on their own and the transmission not shifting at all. Unfortunately for me and my wallet, the new PCM did not alter the behavior. It ended up being a popped fuse for the quad driver module that was the culprit the entire time. :argh: With that replaced the fans turned on and the transmission had all its gears again.
Been there. I, too, love learning basic troubleshooting from buying expensive parts that don't fix the problem.
This is why we begin troubleshooting computer problems with "is it plugged in and turned on?"

quote:

I attended the Malaize Daze car show in El Segundo on Saturday, and took the sedan to it. The show was run by the Malaise Motors Facebook group, and was for cars from the malaise era.
I would totally go to a show like that. Coincidentally, the car show I attended while working in the LA area for two weeks was in El Segundo. Took up the main street in the downtown area.

quote:

Seats out. My mom liked to keep a putter in the car as a becoo stick.
"Becoo", like "You be coo' or I use this?"

e: f,b

Oooo, turbocharged FE3. Would.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Anti-archival bump.

I have been getting a P0300 in the wagon recently, and it's been missing like crazy, to the point of being nearly undriveable. After spending money I didn't need to on an ignition module and coils at the yard, and contemplating if I'm going to have to pull the upper intake so I can test the fuel injectors, I caught a comment about the crank position sensor wire. I don't recall if it was on the A-body board or on one of the Facebook groups I'm in, but someone was having a misfire on their 2.8 Celebrity, and the suggestion given was to inspect the 7x crank sensor wire. Hey, my engine also has a 7x sensor.

Click for bigger:

Yeah, that will probably do it. Because of my engine swap, I'm running a remote 7x reluctor, attached to the front of the crank pulley. The wire was sitting on the axle on that side and being abraded, causing the misfire. I went to the yard and got a wire off a Cutlass that someone else had helpfully pulled the entire top end from, and slapped it on. All is well now.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, that's the fun of OBD - nearly any code can be either a mechanical issue or the sensor itself used to detect that mechanical issue.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Don't feel bad about that one, I have to remind Jeep guys to check their harness for damage instead of just shotgunning sensors at it, too. People forget that the harness exists and can have problems too.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, that's the fun of OBD - nearly any code can be either a mechanical issue or the sensor itself used to detect that mechanical issue.

Or wonky sensors that can trip a code for one sensor when it's actually another sensor. See also: my MAP sensor codes that have turned out to be very likely caused by a borderline MAF. :argh:

Larrymer has been very helpful with troubleshooting it, I just haven't had a chance to order a new MAF (I move in 2 weeks, so I'm trying not to spend a penny). At least the OEM Hitachi sensor is all of $40.

I've figured out how to get the CEL to easily pop on though. Ease the clutch out at idle, soon as it's fully engaged, stomp the gas. Sauron's Eye appears immediately!

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Transmission dead send help

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
That didn't last long :(

Time for a Getrag swap :getin:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nah stick with a hydramatic.

4L80E

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
On a lark I swapped the PCM back to the first one Milzy sent me. Foolish hope, that it would fix the problem. Naturally, nothing. And I mean that literally. The transmission does nothing. No forward, no reverse. The shifter cable is firmly attached to the shifter on the transmission, there is adequate fluid in it (first thing I did was add some), and if the vacuum modulator somehow failed it wouldn't prevent it from going in to gear. I mean, it could be shift solenoids, but that's a proper pain in the rear end.

As I believe I said earlier, I have a replacement unit on deck. I just don't have the money for a new converter, and working on your car during Vegas summer suuuuuuuuuucks. Good thing I have a backup car!

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Shameful anti-archive post. Someone on the A-body board suggested pulling the electrical connector off the transmission and seeing if that does anything. I know it's an electronic unit, but I tried anyway. What's the worst that could happen, right? Well, nothing. I also checked all the fuses just to make sure that wasn't the cause this time, and of course they're all fine.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
If it makes you feel better, I think of this thread whenever I see cars like yours. It isn't often, since rust has claimed most of them around here, but yeah.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Left Ventricle posted:

"Installation is the reverse of removal." Installation proved to be a bit more difficult. Here's me bouncing on the axle while my daughter jams the spring back in.

A trick I learned from the T4R crowd is to use a bottle jack to push the axle down to install the spring.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
It's me, I'm the terrible owner.

Oil change on the yellow sedan did not go smoothly, though it wasn't because of the oil change itself. This is how much oil came out of the engine.

After I started it up to let the oil circulate, I was poking around and moving the spark plug wires away from the alternator when this happened:

I am the worst car owner. I am the current previous owner.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Just think of how much better it's going to run now?

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Left Ventricle posted:

After I started it up to let the oil circulate, I was poking around and moving the spark plug wires away from the alternator when this happened:

I am the worst car owner. I am the current previous owner.

This is just entropy having a laugh at your expense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finagle%27s_law

quote:

Finagle's law of dynamic negatives (also known as Melody's law or Finagle's corollary to Murphy's law) is usually rendered as "Anything that can go wrong, will—at the worst possible moment."

So of course it comes apart while you've got your hand in there poking around, and tries to shock you (did it shock you?)

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Vanagoon posted:

of course it comes apart while you've got your hand in there poking around, and tries to shock you (did it shock you?)
A minor tickle. I wrapped the replacement wires in plastic loom. You wouldn't believe how much better it runs with "oil" and "spark".

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Left Ventricle posted:

You wouldn't believe how much better it runs with "oil" and "spark".

:wow:

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Wherein I finally get off my rear end and start working on my shitbox.

Assume the position.

Passenger side brace off.

Driver side brace off.

Air cleaner and battery out.

Throttle body off.

:siren:MY WIFE:siren: pulling that last spark plug wire.

Upper intake off.

Power steering pump shoved aside.

Fuel rail shoved aside.

Lower intake stuffed.

That's about all my back could handle for the day.

Next up: make a mess draining the radiator! loving up my alignment by yanking the knuckles and axles! More back pain!

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Radiator out.

Action shots of me vacuuming the sand out of the lower intake so it doesn't fall into the injector bosses. (lol the first image has SAND in the file name)

Passenger axle punched out of the knuckle. Of minor note, this axle is original to the car. I've replaced the driver's side twice, both times due to a torn boot.

Driver axle out.

I also popped off most of the rest of the wiring, the transmission range sensor (aka PRNDL switch), found the other lift bracket and bolted it on to the front head, and made a bit of a mess with spilled coolant, as anticipated. Steady progress will now come to a screeching halt.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
*crickets chirping*
*tumbleweed rolls by*

Drivetrain out. Obligatory stand in the engine bay photo.

I forgot to drain the transmissin before yanking it. It made a mess.

Need to clean the subframe. It's grody.

Went out to southern California and met up with a :siren:MAN FROM THE INTERNET:siren: who gave me a set of these wheels:

They're from a LeSabre T-Type. 15 x 6. Look for them on the wagon in the near future.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
New whitewalls on the sedan.

Developed a coolant leak in the sedan. This is not unexpected. Last summer it came close to overheating, and I found a severely clogged radiator to be the culprit. When I pulled the petcock valve, nothing came out, but the coolant level was fine. I changed it out for the one in my parts car, and now it's leaking. No big. I ordered an all-aluminum replacement from Rock Auto, similar to the one I picked up for the wagon a while back. Core is 1/4" thicker, which is nice. I will also replace the thermostat, since that appears to have stuck open. Symptoms are lack of heat on the commute and the converter not locking up/unlocking while cruising due to low coolant temp.

I have lined up a local shop to rebuild the transmission for the wagon. Hopefully it can be slammed back in in the next few weeks.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Either you got a lotta junk in the trunk, or we got our front quickstruts from the same supplier.

Front of my car has more wheel gap than some trucks.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

STR posted:

Either you got a lotta junk in the trunk, or we got our front quickstruts from the same supplier.

Front of my car has more wheel gap than some trucks.

We talked about this on Facebook, but for everyone else's benefit: I'm using quick struts intended for a Silhouette of the same year. Since the vans are about 500 pounds heavier than the cars, the springs are beefier, which causes that pre-runner stance.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

In my case, it's just Moog's supplier being dipshits. I have the same stance going, just not quite as pronounced.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Just gotta add some weight in the front, i hear 3800s with blowers are a thing that exist

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Ordered some center caps for the LeSabre/Reatta wheels I picked up from a fellow A-body user (pictured above). ebay link. The guy wasn't able to scare up a full set of the black caps, and I can't abide capless wheels on my car.

sirr0bin
Aug 16, 2004
damn you! let the rabbits wear glasses!

Fender Anarchist posted:

Just gotta add some weight in the front, i hear 3800s with blowers are a thing that exist

I thought all of those were put into Fieros?

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Most of them at least

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Hey, I follow this thread because I want to put a 3500 in my Fiero. :colbert:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

boxen posted:

Hey, I follow this thread because I want to put a 3500 in my Fiero. :colbert:

3400? I’m not aware of a GM 3500. Not that I’m an authority.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
There are technically 3 different 3500s, 1 of which has a different bore/stroke setup.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_High_Value_engine#3.5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Q_res posted:

There are technically 3 different 3500s, 1 of which has a different bore/stroke setup.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_High_Value_engine#3.5

Huh. Today I learned something.
I'd try for the modern 3.6, but I can see where the 3.5 has advantages in that it's more or less the same configuration and family as the 2.8 60-degree that came in the Fieros in the first place. I understand that there is one 3400 (from an early... Venture, I think?) that is a bolt in, but the rest just need the starter relocated, if I remember correctly.