Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

CapnAndy posted:

I feel like he hit it at "Dormammu, I've come to bargain", so maybe it was just still-learning-this-poo poo Dr. Strange that was outside his wheelhouse.

This was indeed one of the highlights of the movie, so maybe you've got something there.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

He’s gone now, but Terrance Howard was an extremely boring Rhodey. Marvel’s been fortunate enough to avoid bad casting since then, but one issue they still have is occasionally wasting good actors and actresses on forgettable characters. Mads Mikkelsen is the most glaring example, but you could make cases for Christopher Eccleston, Glenn Close, and Karl Urban.

To this list I'd add Mickey Roarke and Sam Rockwell, but that could just be a case of the movie itself being rather forgettable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

Sam Rockwell

You outta your drat mind, son

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sam Rockwell stole every scene he was in.

I guess Natalie Portman is a pretty big misstep since it's clear she didn't really want to be in Thor 2. I am holding out hope for a decent recast (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) so we can have Jane Thor.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Just get Keira Knightley as a Jane recast.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Unmature posted:

You outta your drat mind, son

Like I said, it's not that he was badly cast so much as squandered in a forgettable movie. I've never actually felt the urge to go back and rewatch Iron Man 2.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

CapnAndy posted:

I dunno, I feel like Thor sorta forgot his major lesson from the end of Ragnarok a bit.

"Okay so I'm not the god of hammers and in fact Mjolnir was a power limiter on me and I'm much more powerful embracing my nature as the god of thunder and just channeling the power... welp! Sounds like what I need right the gently caress away is a new hammer and to not even attempt to tap my super mode! Man, I'm good at thunder-godding."

In Ragnarok Odin says his hammer was to help channel and focus his power, so he's overall more powerful with a weapon. The movie even shows this by having him getting his rear end kicked in the beginning vs actually nearly killing Thanos at the end

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 30, 2018

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Kai Tave posted:

I think the romance subplot between Banner and Natalya was an interesting idea on paper that wound up atrociously dreadful in execution, Nick Fury showing up with SHIELD remnants out of nowhere like nothing happened after the end of Winter Soldier, etc. It's not just Cap in particular. I've long held the opinion that Whedon isn't nearly the amazing writer that nerds used to laud him as for years and years, and I'm glad his tenure on Marvel Movies is over and done with because the Russos do it better by far.

Bruce and Black Widow feels off because just previously in Winter Soldier, we saw that Evans and Johanssen had far better chemistry with just teasing a slight mutual attraction and it's just not there with her and Ruffalo. They do their best to sell it but it still feels off.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
A line I liked that nobody seems to have appreciated was near the very beginning, when Loki tells Thanos, "we have a Hulk." That was probably the best possible way to do a callback to that.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.

Away all Goats posted:

In Ragnarok Odin says his hammer was to help channel and focus his power, so he's overall more powerful with a weapon. The movie even shows this by having him getting his rear end kicked in the beginning vs actually nearly killing Thanos at the end

I also feel like Thor was extremely limited in his first battle against Thanos because it's much more difficult to go full gently caress off Lightning God when you're enclosed in a spaceship where doing that could tear the ship and its inhabitants apart and a wide open field just absolutely covered in bad guys to zap the hell out of.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Rhyno posted:

To this day I still can't figure out what Whedon did to score the Avengers gig. Serenity was terrible.

Geek Cred. He had the passion for the project, a history with doing genre films and knew how to get the "geek" audience moving.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
He's cheap and he shoots cheap and Marvel was stiffing everyone on their paycheques.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

GLOSS posted:

I also feel like Thor was extremely limited in his first battle against Thanos because it's much more difficult to go full gently caress off Lightning God when you're enclosed in a spaceship where doing that could tear the ship and its inhabitants apart and a wide open field just absolutely covered in bad guys to zap the hell out of.

Plus Thor likely lost power from the destruction of Asgard. That’s usually been a thing with him. Easily explained if they ever want to do that.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Aphrodite posted:

Plus Thor likely lost power from the destruction of Asgard. That’s usually been a thing with him. Easily explained if they ever want to do that.

He says this later in the film.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Non IW talk, I'm looking forward to Deadpool 2. I hope they don't try to outdo the first one the trailers make it look a different movie. Is Aquaman out this year?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kai Tave posted:

This was indeed one of the highlights of the movie, so maybe you've got something there.

Supposedly the plot of Doctor Strange 2 (the director of the first movie's said it's happening, Cumberbatch said it isn't, I'm going by the first one) is going to be Strange coming into and accepting the title and power of Sorcerer Supreme, so fingers crossed.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

People are literally hooting and hollering at the screen and this guy is sitting there like that girl from the one wrestling gif

This was one of two sneering IW reviews at the New Yorker

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Lol what's a sequel?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who is "Han Solo" and why is he in this box of wax? I have the memento disease

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Draz is indeed awesome. Is there really anyone in Marvel's expansive film cast that is just bad in their role?

I SAID FILM CAST SHUT THE gently caress UP ABOUT IRON FIST

Gwyneth Paltrow is a terrible person who shouldn't be getting work, but not bad casting, sadly.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Endless Mike posted:

Gwyneth Paltrow is a terrible person who shouldn't be getting work, but not bad casting, sadly.

If it wasn't for Goop and her social media empire, then we would never know about Rescue in Avengers 4, though! She managed to do what no media journalist has been able to do: break the plot embargo over a year in advance.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

If it wasn't for Goop and her social media empire, then we would never know about Rescue in Avengers 4, though! She managed to do what no media journalist has been able to do: break the plot embargo over a year in advance.

We can't be sure about that from her photo.

Maybe she just loses her legs!

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Sam Rockwell was wasted in the sense that he should be in more Marvel movies.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Gwyneth Paltrow's a bad person, but I've got bad news for you about her co-stars.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

She has electric chemistry with RDJ, they have great scenes together

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

RDJ was obviously a huge drug addict, but man today that's almost quaint for Hollywood.

Do they have a TJ Miller lurking in there somewhere? They already ditched Terence Howard.

Edit: Johansson did ads for bad soda I guess.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 30, 2018

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

WHOOPS posted:

Sam Rockwell was wasted in the sense that he should be in more Marvel movies.

My big hope for IW part 2 is that whatever they do to bring everyone back also somehow brings some of the Phase 1&2 villains back. It would be so sick to have a full-blown Masters of Evil on the table for Phase 3 or 4 or whatever they're on now. Just imagine Zemo and Killmonger leading Abomination, Yellowjacket, Whiplash, Vulture, Extremis guy, Crossbones, et al., based out of Arnim Zola's secret base from WS. What better way for the New Avengers to cut their teeth? Hell, if there's Infinity Stone fuckery going on, they could even bring Red Skull back somehow. That would be a great way to tackle the IRL nazi resurgence.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The only good people in the cast are Hemsworth and Evans, sorry to say.

Chill Penguin posted:

My big hope for IW part 2 is that whatever they do to bring everyone back also somehow brings some of the Phase 1&2 villains back. It would be so sick to have a full-blown Masters of Evil on the table for Phase 3 or 4 or whatever they're on now. Just imagine Zemo and Killmonger leading Abomination, Yellowjacket, Whiplash, Vulture, Extremis guy, Crossbones, et al., based out of Arnim Zola's secret base from WS. What better way for the New Avengers to cut their teeth? Hell, if there's Infinity Stone fuckery going on, they could even bring Red Skull back somehow. That would be a great way to tackle the IRL nazi resurgence.

gently caress yeah, man, didn't have enough of Whiplash or Extremis Guy the first time around.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Uh, Chris Evans used a girl in highschool to win a bet.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
Calling it now: Avengers 4 will be titled Heros Reborn.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Uh, Chris Evans used a girl in highschool to win a bet.

He 'Can't Buy Me Loved' her?

Odonata posted:

Calling it now: Avengers 4 will be titled Heros Reborn.

It'll probably be called Avengers: Disassembled, or failing that, something just as poo poo.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Avengers: Age of Heroes Reborn's Onslaug

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

One thing I noticed was that all the original Avengers are still alive (I'm presuming that Hawkeye didn't die off screen) so I wonder if the climactic team up will be just those six. Also, it seemed like a bunch of the major characters who died all have movies coming out soon so I wonder if that was so they didn't have to juggle shooting schedules between A4 and the solo pics. I mean they killed allll the Guardians except Rocket.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

You got to have Nebula in the mix and you should probably have a rep of the Guardians in there.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

RDJ was obviously a huge drug addict, but man today that's almost quaint for Hollywood.
Addicts are not bad people (or, rather, being an addict does not make them a bad person). They are people with problems, and RDJ has seemingly worked his out. Paltrow runs a "lifestyle" brand hocking pseudoscience garbage that is legitimately harmful.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

As an addict, You ain't an addict if you haven't done bad things to people in pursuit of your addiction, or even recovery from it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Fleecing rich white people, though? That is a crime I cannot abide.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Dan Didio posted:

Fleecing rich white people, though? That is a crime I cannot abide.

Are you having a bet with yourself to make as many terrible posts in as short a time as possible or something?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Thank you for standing up for people who can afford three thousand dollar rings with Zodiac signs on them on a whim. You're braver than the troops.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Dan Didio posted:

Thank you for standing up for people who can afford three thousand dollar rings with Zodiac signs on them on a whim. You're braver than the troops.

If you think that medical quackery somehow only scams "the deserving" then you're both a huge idiot as well as an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Kai Tave posted:

Seriously, if someone had told me that the sleeper MVP of the Guardians of the Galaxy was going to be Dave Bautista as Drax the Destroyer consistently stealing every scene with his incredible comic delivery I'd have thought you were crazy, but drat if they didn't knock it out of the park by casting him. The guy's a delight.

I remember when the first Guardians came out, I posted in the weekly WWE thread on opening night that Batista's performance is this generation's Andre in Princess Bride. It got a lot of :stare: reactions, but several years later, I still stand by it.

• Locked thread