Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tollymain posted:

reflection makes it so you have a chance of reflecting projectiles block with SH back at the source

repulsion, the mutation, gives you +EV and at tier 3 gives you repel missiles

learndb explains rMissiles as:

Reduces incoming missile to-hit roll (for evasion purposes only) *TO* a random amount between: 50% and 100% for penetrating beams, 0% and 100% for single-target missiles.

Oh, so reflection doesn't do anything if you don't have any SH? Fair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lost and Delusional
Aug 27, 2010

Teal posted:

Oh, so reflection doesn't do anything if you don't have any SH? Fair

I think everything that gives reflection also gives some amount of SH.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah, i think it ranges from like +2 to +6? in my current game ive got the brooch of shielding unrandart (reflect +8 SH). wouldnt be too jealous tho, my lucks been p weird in this one

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

Reflection is also the ego of choice when worshiping Xom. Apparently watching stupid elves and yaktaurs shoot themselves in the face never gets old.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
xom is what it would be like if a small child was watching the game laughing hysterically whenever funny things happen

and sometimes they're hitting a button to make the funny things happen

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Lava Orcs and Djinni seemed to be kinda broken. The ideas work in theory, but I'm not sure they can just be re-implemented directly.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tollymain posted:

xom is what it would be like if a small child was watching the game laughing hysterically whenever funny things happen

and sometimes they're hitting a button to make the funny things happen

Man you could totally do something like Twitch Plays Pokémon but instead there's one regular player playing Crawl while the twitch controls Xom and makes things happen

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
That's basically what they did with the new Vermintide game. There's a "twitch mode" where viewers can vote between a couple choices for what happens next every minute or so.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

+5 sycthe of speed "Finisher"

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what does it do

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Speaking of scythes, is there any particular reason that they need the same weapon skill as a bardiche while having significantly worse stats, while simultaneously needing more skill than a glaive and still having worse stats than those? Far as I can tell they exist as a joke weapon for exclusive use by Sigmund/reapers.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they are a joke weapon but good enough artefacts might be worth using

like the unrandart scythe of curses

imo harold should have a chance at low health to lose his nerve and turn nonhostile and head to the stairs as though pacified, i feel bad for his family :(

he did lose a 1 on 1 against my ancestor though lmao

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 30, 2018

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
honestly a bit mad enough people voted to put hive back in aka "literally just some bees: the branch" and not enough voted for achievements

do y'all dislike the banners system that much, that you don't want anything like that to be doable outside of tournaments

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I'm just glad victory dancing, perma corrosion, and item weight have been killed forever

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IronicDongz posted:

honestly a bit mad enough people voted to put hive back in aka "literally just some bees: the branch" and not enough voted for achievements

do y'all dislike the banners system that much, that you don't want anything like that to be doable outside of tournaments

honestly same

at least meliai exist now i guess, might sort be okay if some folks make some good hive maps

World Famous W posted:

I'm just glad victory dancing, perma corrosion, and item weight have been killed forever

dingdong the witch is dead

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I put hive in as a write-in for it being a timed portal. Ideas too small to support real branches can support timed portals just fine.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Maybe the Beehive gimmick can be that it'll have a literally infinite amount of bees coming until you either gently caress off or die (I guess with XL gain disabled) so you have to dash in, grab stuff, and get the heck out of there

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
infinite bees sounds awful

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Leave the endless bees and keep xp so hives become a mummies dream

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tollymain posted:

infinite bees sounds awful

Right now at least all the Dungeon and Dungeon-Parallel poratls feel like free-exp with exception of Ice and Fire being on the condition of you having rF++/rC++ yes/no.

What makes Fire stand out actually is that it's on an internal timer and if you linger too much you won't get any items out of it; I'm not saying that's what all the branches should be, but they shouldn't be "once you catch the entry in time it's basically a free gift of XP/stuff" either.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
doesnt only the one vault do that? also i hate that thing

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it's cool though. I love drinking a haste and sprinting through grabbing everything

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i dont remember if that vault tells you whats up or not but i didnt see it the first time and hit 5 on entering because i was beat up

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Teal posted:

What makes Fire stand out actually is that it's on an internal timer and if you linger too much you won't get any items out of it; I'm not saying that's what all the branches should be, but they shouldn't be "once you catch the entry in time it's basically a free gift of XP/stuff" either.

The entire game is free XP/stuff though, why should portal branches be different?

Portal branches kill me a lot these years, though more from rushing to explore to it than from threats inside since usually it's not hard to leave.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Lost and Delusional posted:

I think everything that gives reflection also gives some amount of SH.

It's at least theoretically possible to find an artifact -7 buckler of reflection.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
artefacts giveth, artefacts taketh away

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It's at least theoretically possible to find an artifact -7 buckler of reflection.

I mean, it still technically reflects things, it just reflects them towards the most sensitive parts of your body.

I voted for Hive on the condition it get fleshed out to be actually interesting. Either a more difficult timed branch or a full optional branch like orc and elf.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I have to admit I was disappointed by the results of the survey. Lava orcs and Djinni were good concepts that didn’t really work in practice and we know that already. We added a replacement for the wand of heal wounds, but let’s add the wand of heal wounds back as well! One of the pull requests was to add a replacement for the boring haste spell, but let’s add haste back also! And I completely missed that people somehow want hive back, but that’s baffling too.

I get it that people are reacting against the overly conservative mainstream dev philosophy, but I don’t think this kind of everything but the kitchen sink approach is the path to a better game. Some kind of “undemocratic” curation of ideas is required, but it’s clear I don’t stand with the majority of the thread on how the game should be.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Being willing to throw everything into the game is good, but then wanting to put things that were indisputably bad - like Hive - back in the game after they're tested and found to be bad is, itself, bad

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

One of the big problems that’s likely to become apparent with the design by committee approach is that it’s impossible for the average poster to keep track of all the features that have been added and which design spaces they’re intended to occupy. This means it’s impossible for there to be any kind of overarching vision for gooncrawl, since only a few people are going to pay attention to overarching design in the first place. So we’re going to get a bunch of stuff that’s there because it sounds cool or fits posting trends, but messes up game balance, clashes with existing content or is just plain bad.

But I’m going to try and stop posting for a while so I don’t bring down the mood.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i feel theres enough amateur game designers hereabouts thats not too likely

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Some kind of “undemocratic” curation of ideas is required

Well... some voters' opinions could weigh more than others, or maybe have a required amount of wins to vote on the survey? I don't think either of those are the answer/very good ideas, but several people in the thread seem really unhappy with the changes that are happening which also isn't great. fwiw I was really pleased with the results of the surveys.

I know this isn't specifically the gooncrawl discussion thread despite the title, but maybe we should take a break from suggesting too many new features and talk about how the cumulative results of the last two surveys could affect the fork's balance, positively or negatively.

Hopefully we can zero in on a compromise that helps everyone chill out/not feel like their input isn't wanted.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
we cant know for sure how balanced it is or what to do about it until its implemented, everything until then is just speculation vOv

we can discuss how to attempt to solve some of the issues in the game atm but im too smoked out to think of any off the top of my head. anybody got any wheels to squeak about?

i mean, im p sure ive tried this tack before a couple times and nothing really comes of it but hey third times

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Tollymain posted:

too smoked

Alright, good idea.

Why don't we start with one of the problem children (Hive) under the "Yes, with changes" category that's had some ideas brought up already.

I think the main problem people have with it is that thematically it's really homogeneous, and since royal jellies haven't been a thing for a while it would just be a really boring wizlab with bees. Aside from the infinite bees/timed loot portal, I think there are some things we can do to spice things up.

What does everyone think about adding a bunch of other enemies to it for variety (formicids that have weapons/armor?) or put it on the wizlab rotation (maybe it's a lab made by some bug wizard)? Obviously the difficulty and loot would need to be adjusted and it might be stepping on Spider Nest's toes, so that's something to think about.

Come share you hive thoughts, nerds.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I like making it a bee-themed wizlab

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Yeah, actually Hive seems like it'd be a wizlab theme. Even if you didn't want to come up with any new bees for it, you could do a lot with other nasty insects like ghost moths and emperor scorpions, or queens positioned to be really hard to get rid of before they berserk the swarm. You could also take a page out of the Wucad Mu's Monastery wizlab and have weak pseudo-hell effects that spawn bees, slow you down from stepping in honey, that kind of thing.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Bee themed wizlab seems like a great Hive niche

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think that while it might pose some additional administrative overhead the best thing would be to carry Gooncrawl Stable and Gooncrawl Nightly and stuff should be first introduced into nightly, tuned, maybe it could have a somewhat async form if we get more people working on it, with stuff getting implemented and iterated over without waiting for a major bunch-up vote.

After that, there'd be a regular interval vote for merging stuff from Nightly to Stable and particularly with additions of new stuff, there would be a new pip with every question that would say "I've/haven't tried this in nightly" and the votes from people who haven't actually tried the thing would count for half a vote or second rate vote or whatever (they could still decide if they wan't/don't want, just with less weight to it).

Also, stuff that doesn't pass the vote to go to Stable doesn't have to be purged from Nightly; it can just wait there till somebody figures out a good rework, as well as be available for the minority who enjoy it. (I hoenstly don't know how modular the file structure of crawl is and how much of a pain in the rear end would it be to merge in some new race while not merging in some older one, though, so if it's a problem, shoot that bit down). At the same time the Stable doesn't have to be done as a snapshot of Nightly at any given time; we can fast track unversally agreeable stuff.

I will admit I haven't ever played Lava Orcs or Djinni and voted Yes because
a) I actually feel like I missed out and wanna try them and don't feel like sifting through decrepit old Crawl releases without many of the improvements trunk crawl had since
b) I still think that at the point where we are with the race count, you can't really do much harm by adding more if they aren't outright broken, retarded, or would make other races deeply irrelevant

So yeah, if we had a Nightly I'd definitely want to see them in that, play them, and then maybe agree they don't work/need rework/don't belong in Stable.

TL;DR: Lets fork the fork, have a fuzzy, nightly version with WIP (conceptually wise, coding wise ideally sound) stuff that can be tested, tuned, and deliberated over, and a firmer, slower moving mainline, and votes particularly for (re)additions will mostly rely on people who have actually tried the thing in Nightly.

Sultan Pepper
Feb 13, 2018

by Lowtax
so considering I can get both to mindelay, would I be better off using a whip of electrocution or an eveningstar of freezing? both at +1. on one end theres the rapid, fixed damage bonus, vs the slightly slower, percentile based damage bonus (with a far greater base damage)

I'm murdering basically anything I come across with electrocution anyway but yknow maybe I could be murdering them faster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
olgreb doesnt have a lab yet right

insane beekeeper mage

• Locked thread