Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

ime steel is a huge problem until you get two upgraded steelworks up, at which point you can forget about steel forever

Also I'm starting to really like charcoal kilns. Later on they're a great way to convert excess wood (useless) into excess coal (life-saving). If you have child labor thumpers are nice too though. Working next to a coal fracking plant builds character. Makes 'em grow up strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Prav posted:

Also I'm starting to really like charcoal kilns. Later on they're a great way to convert excess wood (useless) into excess coal (life-saving). If you have child labor thumpers are nice too though. Working next to a coal fracking plant builds character. Makes 'em grow up strong.

You can also totally ignore coal mine failures with them. They pair really nicely with wall drills.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Just want to say this game is incredibly cool and good. Totally lost my first session by not making enough food. On my second time now and doing pretty good but i really really dig just about everything so far. So bleak and hopeless, really hope i get a somewhat happy ending :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Voltage posted:

hope i get a somewhat happy ending :v:

Make sure to allow brothels, and your dreams can come true!

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
So I guess throwing the brakes on faith before you hit the spooky red one isn't enough to keep the game post game narration from calling you an rear end in a top hat? I finished the game with nobody dead from the storm and hope at 3 quarters, who you to question the Ice Pope you ungrateful lovely future generations?! :argh:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The spooky red research is the "you can't even pretend you're being moral anymore" research, not the "I've never done a bad thing once" line in the sand, which is the actual thing the game grades you on for good/bad ending

Idk what the spooky red faith research is but the order one literally replaces your hope bar with a giant black obedience bar and sets up a public execution platform for political dissidents. You've passed "for the greater good" and have entered full on villain status once you go there.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

ninjewtsu posted:

The spooky red research is the "you can't even pretend you're being moral anymore" research, not the "I've never done a bad thing once" line in the sand, which is the actual thing the game grades you on for good/bad ending

Idk what the spooky red faith research is but the order one literally replaces your hope bar with a giant black obedience bar and sets up a public execution platform for political dissidents. You've passed "for the greater good" and have entered full on villain status once you go there.

It is basically the same, you just become The Prophet rather than The Man.

Really the big difference between the two are the branches and how the affect production. That and faith tends to be more about raising hope while the other is about crushing dissent. Both are hosed up, but Faith tends to be a softer club.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

after getting called a theocratic rear end in a top hat on map 1 for having faith keepers i'm not terribly impressed by map 3 forcing me to stand by as a dude gets lynched for not having them

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Imo this game's story is far less interesting as a "was crossing the line worth it" game and far more interesting as a supervillian origin story

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It is basically the same, you just become The Prophet rather than The Man.

Really the big difference between the two are the branches and how the affect production. That and faith tends to be more about raising hope while the other is about crushing dissent. Both are hosed up, but Faith tends to be a softer club.

Having played order a lot and faith a little, seems to be that faith raises hope while giving you lots of little side-benefits like improving your healthcare while it's at it, while order directly destroys discontent, a far more useful thing to be rid of than having high hope because low discontent directly translates to more resources with emergency shift spam, but doesn't really do very much else for you.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ninjewtsu posted:

Having played order a lot and faith a little, seems to be that faith raises hope while giving you lots of little side-benefits like improving your healthcare while it's at it, while order directly destroys discontent, a far more useful thing to be rid of than having high hope because low discontent directly translates to more resources with emergency shift spam, but doesn't really do very much else for you.

I haven’t played order yet but the faith active abilities (several varieties of sermon) directly lower discontent, some by quite a lot.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

You can have the faith keepers parade dissidents around flogging them, pretty sure that's a big drop in discontent.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
And Faith gives you the execution platform too, which I think works the same way for both trees.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yes, game, it was very worth it to open some churches and serve people soup in this winter hellpocalypse. I want to get a "perfect" run where I don't do anything faith/order oriented to see what it nitpicks about.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

jokes posted:

I want to get a "perfect" run where I don't do anything...

~WaS iT wORtH It?/???~~

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Caidin posted:

So I guess throwing the brakes on faith before you hit the spooky red one isn't enough to keep the game post game narration from calling you an rear end in a top hat? I finished the game with nobody dead from the storm and hope at 3 quarters, who you to question the Ice Pope you ungrateful lovely future generations?! :argh:

You probably need to pump the brakes a little earlier, or maybe be more conservative when using the abilities. I researched the whole faith three except for the denunciations, the spooky glowing one, and the one declaring me icepope, and in my postgame it was all "we didn't cross the line". I also only used the public penance thingy like two or three times, which might have made a difference as well.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Pirate Radar posted:

I haven’t played order yet but the faith active abilities (several varieties of sermon) directly lower discontent, some by quite a lot.

Order gets the Prison, which knocks down Dissent by a lot but jails a bunch of citizens who then have the audacity to complain about their cells being cold. There's a button to "Rehabilitate" them which is a fist for some mysterious reason.

I haven't played Faith yet, but the very best thing Order gets is the ability to opt out of some of the more annoying events by having guards chase off protesters, which strangely doesn't affect Discontent or Hope at all.

Pretty annoyed that after the first Scenario gives you a checklist of resources to have before the storm that are basically optional, the second scenario does the same but you outright lose if you're short on any of them, even if your production is way higher than consumption.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Apr 30, 2018

Hamburger Sandwich
Nov 24, 2007
Is there a reason to get hot houses over those flying hunters huts? With upgrades they provide a decent amount of raw food and they don't use steam cores which is what I'm really trying to save

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Pirate Radar posted:

every single thing in order lowers discontent

the very first law, watchtowers, is basically a second fighting pit. in contrast to the first faith research, churches or whatever, which is like fighting pits but for hope instead.

i think the only thing in the whole order tree that doesn't directly contribute to lowering discontent is the foreman research, which just gives you the ability to buff a workplace's resource output by 40% for a day (good to stack with emergency shift, you might guess)

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Apr 30, 2018

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Panadol posted:

Is there a reason to get hot houses over those flying hunters huts? With upgrades they provide a decent amount of raw food and they don't use steam cores which is what I'm really trying to save

Hothouses can be 24-hour-shifted and staffed by automatons, which can make for a very welcome short-term boost when you get a sudden influx of people. And even without any upgrades and special shifts, a basic hothouse already produces as much food as a flying hunter cabin.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Avasculous posted:

Pretty annoyed that after the first Scenario gives you a checklist of resources to have before the storm that are basically optional, the second scenario does the same but you outright lose if you're short on any of them, even if your production is way higher than consumption.

Yeah that's because it's a city made entirely of engineers

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I think the game is kinda unfair with it's descriptions of the "bad" technologies because public penance LOOKED like I was researching flagellants but actually it turned the faith keepers into the morality police who went around dragging random "heretics" from their houses and flogging them while before that the only time I used them for anything other than parades was to preventing a lynching.

Also I sent dozens of "volunteers" into the mines and it catapulted my hope up by half or something because the remaining 600-odd citizen went full I loving LOVE FUNERALS.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Frostpunk is basically the edgelord teenager to TWOM's sensitive college student. Ignore the Was It Worth It and beat the poo poo out of dissidents imo.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I got this bought for me so i gave it a playthrough. hosed up and built a couple of houses during the storm and went from 40 sick to 600 sick.

Got banished literally 2 hours before the storm let up. gently caress you too, guys. Sorry you had a cold instead of LITERALLY DYING

My next run is a full on fascist run. gently caress these ungrateful bastards

E: The wiki has like 0 info, what actual benefit does sawdust give you over soup? Does it at least let you make more rations than soup does?

dogstile fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Apr 30, 2018

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

/\ I think soup pisses people off whereas they don't get mad at sawdust, only sick? Soup is the better choice hands down because it doesn't really add that much discontent, but sick people get taken out of work for however long and that's way more of a problem than discontent that you can address with like a half dozen things.

Asehujiko posted:

I think the game is kinda unfair with it's descriptions of the "bad" technologies because public penance LOOKED like I was researching flagellants but actually it turned the faith keepers into the morality police who went around dragging random "heretics" from their houses and flogging them while before that the only time I used them for anything other than parades was to preventing a lynching.

Also I sent dozens of "volunteers" into the mines and it catapulted my hope up by half or something because the remaining 600-odd citizen went full I loving LOVE FUNERALS.

That's the best part of how the cult faith tree turns into a steamroller of hope at the end.

"A new day dawns in the light of god, it's -150C, we're emerging from frozen homes to chisel another dozen graves into the ground for the poor family who died because our frostpope didn't click all the steam hubs, definitely think we're making it out through this storm though"

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Apr 30, 2018

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

dogstile posted:

I got this bought for me so i gave it a playthrough. hosed up and built a couple of houses during the storm and went from 40 sick to 600 sick.

Got banished literally 2 hours before the storm let up. gently caress you too, guys. Sorry you had a cold instead of LITERALLY DYING

My next run is a full on fascist run. gently caress these ungrateful bastards

E: The wiki has like 0 info, what actual benefit does sawdust give you over soup? Does it at least let you make more rations than soup does?

Sawdust gives you 6 rations / 2 raw food at the slight risk of illness.

Soup gives you 5 rations / 2 raw food at the expense of discontent.

Not doing anything gives you 4 rations / 2 raw food and will probably end your run because you don't have enough loving food.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Sawdust gives you 6 rations / 2 raw food at the slight risk of illness.

Soup gives you 5 rations / 2 raw food at the expense of discontent.

Not doing anything gives you 4 rations / 2 raw food and will probably end your run because you don't have enough loving food.

It's doable.

It helps that sending volunteers into the mines reduces the number of rations you need.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Zomborgon posted:

It's doable.

It helps that sending volunteers into the mines reduces the number of rations you need.

I did a "do everything good" faith run where I had standard food - it's a challenge early game but I had about 15+ automatons by the time the storm hit and could devote nearly all my workforce to food production while the automatons handled the rest.

The hardest part of that run was when there was food theft and people wanted me to pass the "bad touch" faith laws to persecute the thieves. I committed to passing the law - knowing full well that I would win over all the Londoners before the time expired for the law commitment.

My population has never volunteered for anything. My games I think are less exciting because I go out of my way to keep everyone toasty - meaning I have no sick and therefore no funerals and / or corpses to do fun things with. (like eat) I usually turn off my medical facilities until the refugees come.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I think if I could stop forgetting to set research or passing laws i'd be pretty good at this frozen game tbh.

Also its exploity as gently caress but taking people off of gathering posts and putting them onto hunters huts for the night works a treat. Those people are working 24 hours and not complaining about it at all.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

jokes posted:

Yes, game, it was very worth it to open some churches and serve people soup in this winter hellpocalypse. I want to get a "perfect" run where I don't do anything faith/order oriented to see what it nitpicks about.

You get the "Golden Path" ending, the only thing it nitpicks about are things your people don't like (such as being cold) and says "We didn't cross the line" in the ending, which is also the tag on the achievement.

Supposedly you can get this even if you pick Faith/Order as long as you don't get too far down the tree.

It's also buggy, I got the Golden Path achievement for map 1 in map 2.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
I just realized, during the coldest part of the storm the temperature is actually closer to absolute zero than to the freezing point of water, and only about 30 Celsius away from oxygen liquifying out of the air.

That's pretty drat cold.

edit: yeah the achievement triggers in this game seem really bugged. I pulled through the first scenario on Hard mode with a whole pile of people dead but still got the Iron Saviour achievement.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

immortal flow posted:

I just realized, during the coldest part of the storm the temperature is actually closer to absolute zero than to the freezing point of water, and only about 30 Celsius away from oxygen liquifying out of the air.

That's pretty drat cold.

it's also colder than the minimum surface temperature of mars

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
They should make a mod which replaces the heat levels with similes.

Comfortable ---> Motorboating Kate Upton
Livable ---> Drinking Coffee with Bailey's
Chilly ---> Your mother-in-law is visiting
Cold ---> A witch's tit
Very Cold ---> A bucket of penguin poo poo
Freezing ---> Would freeze the balls off a brass monkey

Tinfoil Papercut fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 30, 2018

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
We should try to figure out what makes for a cross the line ending. I'm curious because other people seemed to make similar choices to me, but I didn't and they did.

I chose faith, didn't declare myself prophet or truth arbiter or whatever, so I stopped before the penultimate one. I let all of the refugees in, sick included. I only did the flagellant thing once, when the game basically prompted me to do it due to the Londoners. I made prosthetics for the amputees, and did not punish the Londoners for the theft of food or supplies. I was also easy on thieves prior to the big storm. That's all I can think of.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Mars regularly gets above freezing in the summer, at least close to the equator, and on particularly warm days can get up into the 60s Fahrenheit, which would be slightly chilly if you were buck-rear end naked but pleasantly comfortable in a light jacket or sweater.

the temperature variations are huge, though - those comfortably warm summer days still have nights that average -80 to -100F.

most of the storm is about as cold as an average Martian winter night, while the coldest part of the storm is a good 40-odd degrees colder than the coldest night of the coldest Martian winter ever. Ironically those temperatures would be less dangerous on Mars, because the air is much, much thinner, so you wouldn't lose heat as quickly.

You could survive walking around in it for short periods if you were wearing extremely thick and well-insulated clothing, but we're still talking minutes here. An unprotected human would start seeing frostbite effects in seconds and would be unconscious in a couple minutes tops.

I'm assuming the reason the temperature is so ridiculous is because the game is taking wind chill into account. Realistically the actual air temperature would almost certainly not get that cold even in the middle of a snowstorm during a global ice age, but the combination of extremely cold temperatures (-130 to -150F, which are plausible in that situation) with extremely high storm winds could definitely drop the effective felt temperature in the open down into the -200 range. Even a stiff breeze can knock a good 10-20 degrees off the apparent temperature; a 40-50 MPH gale can knock 50-60 degrees off.

It would be much, much less cold in an enclosed building - still dangerous, but with heating, good insulation, and thick protective gear it is at least plausibly survivable.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Helion posted:

We should try to figure out what makes for a cross the line ending. I'm curious because other people seemed to make similar choices to me, but I didn't and they did.

I chose faith, didn't declare myself prophet or truth arbiter or whatever, so I stopped before the penultimate one. I let all of the refugees in, sick included. I only did the flagellant thing once, when the game basically prompted me to do it due to the Londoners. I made prosthetics for the amputees, and did not punish the Londoners for the theft of food or supplies. I was also easy on thieves prior to the big storm. That's all I can think of.

Probably never using 24 hour shifts too, since using it once to make sure everyone doesn't instantly die means that someone works themselves to death because they didn't invent shifts.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Mister Bates posted:

Mars regularly gets above freezing in the summer, at least close to the equator, and on particularly warm days can get up into the 60s Fahrenheit, which would be slightly chilly if you were buck-rear end naked but pleasantly comfortable in a light jacket or sweater.

the temperature variations are huge, though - those comfortably warm summer days still have nights that average -80 to -100F.

most of the storm is about as cold as an average Martian winter night, while the coldest part of the storm is a good 40-odd degrees colder than the coldest night of the coldest Martian winter ever. Ironically those temperatures would be less dangerous on Mars, because the air is much, much thinner, so you wouldn't lose heat as quickly.

You could survive walking around in it for short periods if you were wearing extremely thick and well-insulated clothing, but we're still talking minutes here. An unprotected human would start seeing frostbite effects in seconds and would be unconscious in a couple minutes tops.

I'm assuming the reason the temperature is so ridiculous is because the game is taking wind chill into account. Realistically the actual air temperature would almost certainly not get that cold even in the middle of a snowstorm during a global ice age, but the combination of extremely cold temperatures (-130 to -150F, which are plausible in that situation) with extremely high storm winds could definitely drop the effective felt temperature in the open down into the -200 range. Even a stiff breeze can knock a good 10-20 degrees off the apparent temperature; a 40-50 MPH gale can knock 50-60 degrees off.

It would be much, much less cold in an enclosed building - still dangerous, but with heating, good insulation, and thick protective gear it is at least plausibly survivable.

I mean New London can get through if only because of the increasingly terrifying hell tower that is the cities central heating system, but would any of the arctic fauna survive all that?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Probably never using 24 hour shifts too, since using it once to make sure everyone doesn't instantly die means that someone works themselves to death because they didn't invent shifts.

I'd like to think that those laws are actually the same law - just with an administrative error nobody caught or had the balls to tell the mayor afterwards.

"Johnson, does this signed version say 24 hours?! It was suppose to be 14! ......I'm not telling him, you tell him."

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Caidin posted:

I mean New London can get through if only because of the increasingly terrifying hell tower that is the cities central heating system, but would any of the arctic fauna survive all that?

Even if seals or polar bears or whatever could stand the cold, their food sources would be destroyed and they would eventually starve to death. Most of the large polar animals rely overwhelmingly on fish, and once the oceans started to freeze solid they wouldn't be able to access it.

That said, the oceans are cold and deep. Even if the first fifty feet of the water froze solid it would eventually thaw if the planet warmed up again, meaning some fish might survive and repopulate.

E. Assuming that it never thaws the best you will get might be the deep sea vent extremophiles, as the aquatic plant life dies off and everything else with it.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Even if seals or polar bears or whatever could stand the cold, their food sources would be destroyed and they would eventually starve to death. Most of the large polar animals rely overwhelmingly on fish, and once the oceans started to freeze solid they wouldn't be able to access it.

That said, the oceans are cold and deep. Even if the first fifty feet of the water froze solid it would eventually thaw if the planet warmed up again, meaning some fish might survive and repopulate.

E. Assuming that it never thaws the best you will get might be the deep sea vent extremophiles, as the aquatic plant life dies off and everything else with it.

:ssh: