Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's the most popular fighting game out right now? I really enjoy fighting games, but haven't kept up enough, and I want something where I can always get a decently balanced match.

E: I have a Switch and a top of the line Gaming PC

E2: and Smash on the 3DS but I have never finished it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Dragonball FighterZ is probably the most popular, but actually getting a decently balanced match in it or pretty much any fighting game that didn't come out five minutes ago is going to be a struggle.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Turtlicious posted:

What's the most popular fighting game out right now? I really enjoy fighting games, but haven't kept up enough, and I want something where I can always get a decently balanced match.

E: I have a Switch and a top of the line Gaming PC

E2: and Smash on the 3DS but I have never finished it.

"Most popular" can be kind of a weird thing for fighting games, because I'm pretty sure MvC2, Melee, and SFIV are still the favorites on the tournament circuit. That said, ARMS has remained pretty popular and is getting a ton of support from Nintendo. Also, it's not out yet, but Fantasy Strike looks dope as hell, and from the videos the developers have released, it looks like a very precisely-designed sort of experience. It's like they took a look at how Divekick distilled the genre into its most basic components, and expanded from there into a more full-featured game. Does that help at all?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
MvC2 is one of the best fighting games ever made but I don't know that it's necessarily popular.

Your best bets for populated online are probably Tekken 7 or Dragonball FighterZ. SFV probably has people too but seriously don't buy SFV.

Fantasy Strike is a game that basically isn't "for" anyone. Imagine Street Fighter 2 without the execution barrier (mostly), but everything else that makes an old school game like that tick is still there. As a new player you're still going to get completely dunked because it's still a game where reactions, minuscule differences in spacing, and understanding of matchups are all incredibly important (like any good fighting game) while at the same time playing a game with so little muscle memory to learn is kind of unsatisfying for a lot of veteran players. I expect it to be dead on arrival even if it isn't necessarily a bad game. Also it's loving hideous.

There are no fighting games where you will consistently get a decently balanced match. Like, maybe if you were playing a new Street Fighter game within a month of release, if you're already a certain baseline level of skilled, otherwise it's just not going to happen. The closest you're going to get is actively participating in fighting game discords and asking if any other newbies want to practice, but even then the range of skill that qualifies as "new" is huge.

Instead of focusing on even matches, try and find people who will sit down and play long sets and help you identify what you did right and wrong afterwards.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Feel free to tell me to gently caress off and stop being picky.

I'm looking for a strategy simulation game, either historical or at least vaguely Earth based. Similar to Banished but on a larger scale, and less complex than EUIV. Something where I have to help a colony survive and thrive, through farming, mining, and the usual stuff. Being able to turn, for example, sugar into food or booze to sell.

I've been listening to the Revolutions podcast about the Haitian revolution and it got me into the idea of that kind of game. I own Tropico 5 but haven't played it; I loved Tropico 2 years ago but I recall it being pretty different from 1.

Edit: I've played Dwarf Fortress and RimWorld, they don't currently scratch that itch.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
It's old, but try Colonization.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

It's old, but try Colonization.

I have looked at that in the past. The original or the one based on Civ IV? Both are on Steam.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
They both play more or less the same, but the Civ 4 based one is more polished and looks and feels like civ 4, for better or worse.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Oxygen Not Included fits some of your criteria. It’s not earth based and it doesn’t have an economy but it’s a great base builder and is as easy or difficult as you want. Factorio same thing, but it’s a very unique base builder. Try the demo first.

Anno series as well works, although again not earth based. The games do however have an economy.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I've played ONI, it's good. Does Anno still have horrible DRM?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

John Murdoch posted:

Dragonball FighterZ is probably the most popular, but actually getting a decently balanced match in it or pretty much any fighting game that didn't come out five minutes ago is going to be a struggle.

It's doubly frustrating when you have a friend with the game but you still can't play each other because the game's matchmaking/lobby system is absolute trash

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

TheBigAristotle posted:

It's doubly frustrating when you have a friend with the game but you still can't play each other because the game's matchmaking/lobby system is absolute trash

I'll second this. I have a soft spot for DBZ and knew nothing about fighting games when I bought it. Managed to get a few games with a friend but it's ridiculously convoluted compared to a "Challenge this person on your friend list" button.

Keep in mind that it's a "real" fighting game so it looks simple on the surface but is fairly complex under the hood and you'll constantly find out new things.

It is also insanely pretty and flashy, and you can look like hot poo poo playing against the AI or a similar friend and just using auto combos and basic strats.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I have the talos principle on my wishlist I assume from SA and its on sale, pretty fun puzzle game?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I have the talos principle on my wishlist I assume from SA and its on sale, pretty fun puzzle game?

Yes! The puzzles are creative and fun to solve!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've played ONI, it's good. Does Anno still have horrible DRM?

DRM is not a thing for me so I'm sorry I can't answer that. For the latest games, 2070 and 2205, the UBI client loads in after the Steam client so perhaps that will answer your question.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

talos principle is an extremely good puzzle game that I can't recommend enough. don't be like some other weenus around here and skip the computers.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

talos principle is an extremely good puzzle game that I can't recommend enough. don't be like some other weenus around here and skip the computers.

Make sure you find all of Drennan's voice logs, too.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

If anyone else missed it, like I did, Tropico Reloaded on GOG and Steam has Tropico 1 with DLC AND Tropico 2.

Hopefully 2 still holds up.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I want something light to play inbetween DS3 and RIFT, can anyone reccomend like a nice space sim or management game? or even a casual shooter? I was looking at like, Deep Rock Galactic, Divinity Original Sin was on sale but that might be a big commitment. I've also heard good things about stardew valley?

X3 is also on sale and I've always been interested in thsoe games but they're extremely hard and complicated right?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I wouldn't say X3 is hard as in difficult, but it's definitely complicated. There's a huge amount going on, the interface isn't great and it's not very good at teaching you to use any of it. The hard part is mostly getting to grips with how it all works and learning how to do the things you want, and then after that it's more about planning and how much time you're willing to devote to building your space empire.

I'm not sure I'd describe it as "light" with how deep it is and how much time it can potentially suck, but it is still probably the best space sim around. If you're interested, definitely check out the thread for some good new player advice, as well as some suggestions for good QoL and utility mods (although a lot of the links at the start of the thread are now dead).

If you're looking for something less dense in the space sim world, Elite Dangerous is very pretty and good fun for a while, but it felt a bit too light on variety to keep me for that long (admittedly there's been some new updates since I tried). Other than that, good space sims are pretty thin on the ground. Starpoint Gemini Warlords looks like it might be a nice complexity midpoint but I haven't played it myself and it seems to have some control/interface issues (anyone able to chime in? I'd be interested in hearing people's thoughts.)

On the management game end, yeah Stardew Valley is fantastic if a charming farming game is something you're interested in, I'd absolutely give it a go. Beyond that, it depends what sort of thing you're interested in. Rimworld is a great space colony sim if you're into balancing growing needs until everything goes horribly wrong and then scrabbling to recover. Prison Architect fills a similar niche in managing people until it all goes to poo poo, I'd recommend it equally to Rimworld just depending on whether you'd rather repel or contain the threats to your stability. Cities Skylines is the best city builder around right now. War for the Overworld is on sale right now, and has had enough time to get polished very well, it's pretty drat close to being Dungeon Keeper 3.

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

I'm looking for some more chill games that I can grind away in while watching youtube or whatever. Stuff that's light enough to play on a laptop, not a ton of text/plot, a focus on gaining levels or resources, doesn't require much timing or reaction.
I have gone through factorio, stardew valley, recettear, terraria, and numerous browser clicker games (cookie clicker, shark game, derivative clicker)

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Universal Paperclips is worth a few hours of your idle time.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed
I'm looking for something with a similar (but hopefully more in-depth) system to Paragon levels in Diablo 3. Basically, something where you can progress multiple characters through the actions of one, and so end up with an experience that feels a bit like building a stable of characters.

There are a number of roguelikes/lites which are almost this (Dead Cells, Dungeonmans, Sproggiwood, others) but don't quite fit because you lose the character making progress due to the permadeath. There's also a number of MMOs which almost do this, but their cross-character progression normally feels pretty empty (i.e. WoW does this to some extent, but it mostly offers you leveling gear and mount appearances).

I know this is a pretty specific niche, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's not something that fits it brilliantly, but I'm open to suggestions!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good games with Lan Co Op? We have 2 game machines, and 1 on a machine that's starting to go a bit, it has a Nvidia GT755m.

I'd like to know some good 3 player third-person shooters that are fun. We prefer games with plots, not like a "forever" game.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

Good games with Lan Co Op? We have 2 game machines, and 1 on a machine that's starting to go a bit, it has a Nvidia GT755m.

I'd like to know some good 3 player third-person shooters that are fun. We prefer games with plots, not like a "forever" game.

The Division is a great deal of fun until you hit the endgame grind, especially with friends.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

ReWinter posted:

I'm looking for something with a similar (but hopefully more in-depth) system to Paragon levels in Diablo 3. Basically, something where you can progress multiple characters through the actions of one, and so end up with an experience that feels a bit like building a stable of characters.

There are a number of roguelikes/lites which are almost this (Dead Cells, Dungeonmans, Sproggiwood, others) but don't quite fit because you lose the character making progress due to the permadeath. There's also a number of MMOs which almost do this, but their cross-character progression normally feels pretty empty (i.e. WoW does this to some extent, but it mostly offers you leveling gear and mount appearances).

I know this is a pretty specific niche, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's not something that fits it brilliantly, but I'm open to suggestions!

darkest dungeon seems really close to what you're looking for

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

ReWinter posted:

TESO has this (but is an MMO). At max level you start gaining Champion Points which buy you lil incremental bonuses almost exactly like paragon levels. They’re available across all characters, so playing your max level dude also gives your low-level alts champion points to make them a bit stronger. You also can set up a house that all your characters can visit, and your bank is shared between chars so they can support each other with crafting materials and gear and stuff.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I'm looking for an RPG. Unfortunately my standards are pretty specific.

I really enjoy character-advancement systems. I'm not a big fan when they go off the rails numbers-wise though (think Disgaea or Diablo 3) nor when they're just mindless +numbers without any choice or decisionmaking. Path of Exile is probably my favorite game currently at this particular side of things, though it's an ARPG. Other examples I enjoy even if they're quite flawed are Infinity Engine games, older Fire Emblem games. When it comes to this kind of game, I generally prefer party-based rather than solo, and if it's solo I at least need combat to be more involved than 'you swing sword/cast spell, enemy swings sword/casts spell, you swing sword/cast spell, etc'.

Those basically cover most games that really satisfy my itch. For examples I've not enjoyed: Divinity:OS2 had a lot going for it but also had maybe the worst executed character advancement systems I've seen at launch and I've not given it a shot since. Shadowrun:Dragonfall had fun gameplay for a while but really started feeling shallow and same-y eventually, character advancement was also pretty limited in scope and size. Roguelikes tend to get close to what I want, but inevitably I end up finding combat too simple/boring every time I try one (at least Tales of Maj'Eyal, Dungeon Crawl, Dungeons of Dredmore, probably more that I've forgotten).

Ideally I'd also want a game I can play windowed and step away from at any point (so turn-based/pause-able). I already have a pretty big and diverse backlog for games I play when I can devote myself solely to it, working my way through Hollow Knight at the moment, but I spend probably 6 hours a day watching/listening to streams of stuff like twitch, sports, and various other things. And I really like to have pseudo-timewaster games to play along with them.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 29, 2018

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

How do you feel about job-system style games, like Final Fantasy V or Tactics, or the Bravely Default series?

Path of Exile's leveling is based on the sphere grid from Final Fantasy X, so maybe look into that, too.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Insurrectionist posted:

I'm looking for an RPG. Unfortunately my standards are pretty specific.

I really enjoy character-advancement systems. I'm not a big fan when they go off the rails numbers-wise though (think Disgaea or Diablo 3) nor when they're just mindless +numbers without any choice or decisionmaking. Path of Exile is probably my favorite game currently at this particular side of things, though it's an ARPG. Other examples I enjoy even if they're quite flawed are Infinity Engine games, older Fire Emblem games. When it comes to this kind of game, I generally prefer party-based rather than solo, and if it's solo I at least need combat to be more involved than 'you swing sword/cast spell, enemy swings sword/casts spell, you swing sword/cast spell, etc'.

Those basically cover most games that really satisfy my itch. For examples I've not enjoyed: Divinity:OS2 had a lot going for it but also had maybe the worst executed character advancement systems I've seen at launch and I've not given it a shot since. Shadowrun:Dragonfall had fun gameplay for a while but really started feeling shallow and same-y eventually, character advancement was also pretty limited in scope and size. Roguelikes tend to get close to what I want, but inevitably I end up finding combat too simple/boring every time I try one (at least Tales of Maj'Eyal, Dungeon Crawl, Dungeons of Dredmore, probably more that I've forgotten).

Ideally I'd also want a game I can play windowed and step away from at any point (so turn-based/pause-able). I already have a pretty big and diverse backlog for games I play when I can devote myself solely to it, working my way through Hollow Knight at the moment, but I spend probably 6 hours a day watching/listening to streams of stuff like twitch, sports, and various other things. And I really like to have pseudo-timewaster games to play along with them.

Have you ever played the NWN2 expansion that no one likes, Storm of Zehir? It's one of my favorite d&d PC RPGs because of exactly this - you build a party of 4-6 and adventure around an overworld map putting your skills to use. It's more like playing tabletop d&d than a PC crpg like say Baldur's Gate, there's very little story focus and it exists mostly to give your party a reason for being out and about - that's what most people don't like about it but it's exactly why I love it. IMO it's pretty much the platonic ideal of d&d videogames for building and developing a party.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Unreal_One posted:

How do you feel about job-system style games, like Final Fantasy V or Tactics, or the Bravely Default series?

Path of Exile's leveling is based on the sphere grid from Final Fantasy X, so maybe look into that, too.

I've played FFX: I completed it and liked it overall, but found the Sphere Grid pretty disappointing overall since most of the time it ended up in following a straight path for several dozen nodes at a time and there are only a handful of real decisions in what general direction to take. That might change if you go full post-game grinding mode but I was happy with just finishing the main game. I've also played FF:T and A/A2, liked all of them to various degrees. I've heard some bad stuff about Bravely Default regarding repetitiveness though so never really sought it out.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Have you ever played the NWN2 expansion that no one likes, Storm of Zehir? It's one of my favorite d&d PC RPGs because of exactly this - you build a party of 4-6 and adventure around an overworld map putting your skills to use. It's more like playing tabletop d&d than a PC crpg like say Baldur's Gate, there's very little story focus and it exists mostly to give your party a reason for being out and about - that's what most people don't like about it but it's exactly why I love it. IMO it's pretty much the platonic ideal of d&d videogames for building and developing a party.

I have! I've played all the NWN/NWN2 campaigns, in fact. I didn't end up finishing it though, I kinda burned out on it at some point when clearing out the Sword Coast. The game itself was pretty fun and I really enjoyed, but I'm just very much not a fan of all the things that make up NWN2 on a technical and mechanical level. Kinda how I feel about ToEE too - its adaption of tabletop rules is honestly pretty great and I enjoy said system fine as well, but technically it's a mess and a pain to wrangle.

Another game I wish I could try in this vein is Divine Divinity, which I never got around to playing as a kid but sounds like it could be quite fun. However, I've tried several times to play it and have never found a way to make it run enjoyably. Can't get it windowed, can't bear to look at its tiny resolution filling my whole screen, can't increase the resolution.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
One of my favourite types of attacks in games are ones that chain react, like mass spreading dots(For example, Saryn in Warframe), huge bouncing attacks(For example the bounce bird build in borderlands 1), etc. What could scratch this itch of mine? Pretty much fine with any genre. I'd go back to PoE but I just don't have the time to grind poo poo in that game anymore.

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016
I really enjoy bullet hell games and am looking for an ARPG that rewards mechanical skill.

I've played D3, Grim Dawn, and a bit of Torchlight, but it's been awhile and I don't really remember how they played out. I've always made builds that are high damage low survivability to make it more fun for me, but it requires the game to support this playstyle (no unavoidable or unpredictable damage sources). I realize the extreme of this is not likely (possibility of 1HP no resist/armor runs), but just looking for something in that direction.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

fbsw posted:

I really enjoy bullet hell games and am looking for an ARPG that rewards mechanical skill.

I've played D3, Grim Dawn, and a bit of Torchlight, but it's been awhile and I don't really remember how they played out. I've always made builds that are high damage low survivability to make it more fun for me, but it requires the game to support this playstyle (no unavoidable or unpredictable damage sources). I realize the extreme of this is not likely (possibility of 1HP no resist/armor runs), but just looking for something in that direction.

Victor Vran might be worth a look

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Feeling a stealth game after playing some Ghost Recon Wildlands and doing the Sam Fischer/Splinter Cell mission. Ghost recon actually has some light stealth/tactical elements but it is only fun when you have a human teammate who can play stealth like you.

I was thinking maybe Tenchu, Splinter Cell or MGS. I have played a bit of MGS4 and Tenchu Z but never got far and from Splinter Cell I have only finished Double Agent.

Also I have played Hitman Blood Money and Deus Ex original + human revolution. Never played other stuff like Thief, Mark of the Ninja which have I heard are great in the genre.

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Victor Vran might be worth a look

thanks i'll give it a go. looks fun as heck.

Ulio posted:

Feeling a stealth game after playing some Ghost Recon Wildlands and doing the Sam Fischer/Splinter Cell mission. Ghost recon actually has some light stealth/tactical elements but it is only fun when you have a human teammate who can play stealth like you.

I was thinking maybe Tenchu, Splinter Cell or MGS. I have played a bit of MGS4 and Tenchu Z but never got far and from Splinter Cell I have only finished Double Agent.

Also I have played Hitman Blood Money and Deus Ex original + human revolution. Never played other stuff like Thief, Mark of the Ninja which have I heard are great in the genre.

i don't like most stealth games at all and thought mark of the ninja was fun as hell.

fbsw fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 30, 2018

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Nalesh posted:

One of my favourite types of attacks in games are ones that chain react, like mass spreading dots(For example, Saryn in Warframe), huge bouncing attacks(For example the bounce bird build in borderlands 1), etc. What could scratch this itch of mine? Pretty much fine with any genre. I'd go back to PoE but I just don't have the time to grind poo poo in that game anymore.

There are a couple weapons in Crimsonland that bounce/chain very satisfyingly, but you're at the mercy of the RNG for when they drop. It's a top-down Robotron-like with endless waves of enemies.

Transistor has a bouncy weapon modifier as well

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 30, 2018

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ulio posted:

Chaos Theory is the best Splinter Cell.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Ulio posted:

The new Hitman game (which has been helpfully titled HITMAN) might appeal to you, though like Blood Money it's mostly disguise-based stealth. I would strongly recommend the Dishonored games if you don't mind some mild steampunk, and definitely play the first before the second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Ulio posted:

Blacklist is the best Splinter Cell. You'll enjoy it.