Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, this is a good point.

Pure speculation here: I wonder if the GC is necessarily going to be worse...it wouldn't have to be a hand-crafted implementation, you could just compile in the collector used by your language of choice which will surely be a solid implementation.

The problem then might be that you're bloating your download size which wipes out one of the pillars of webass performance.

I'm just assuming anything targeting multiple browsers' implementation of the webass VM is going to perform worse than the browser's own optimized internal GC that also gets to run at native speed. Remember that big named companies have been paying smart people to make em go fasta for 20 years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Just to add to my previous comment, if you're interested in webass then absolutely follow it and gently caress around with it, but don't feel like you need to be gearing up to build production apps in it in order to stay relevant in your career. Not yet anyway.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Also, I imagine you wouldn't really need to know much about webass anyway. Much like you don't have to know much about x86 when you're writing Rust (or whatever) now, you won't have to think about webass when you're writing Rust for the web.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
Great write up Therm, that answers several questions I had actually

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Great write up Therm, that answers several questions I had actually

Thanks!

One of the big things the webass committee and developers are working on now is interop between JS code and webass code.

As it is now, webass only has two types: integers and floating point.

This means that to pass a string to webass code, you have to encode the string as numbers through some scheme, put those numbers into webass's memory (which boils down to a big array of numbers) and then pass the index for the location of that data in the memory array to your webass code.

It gets way more complicated for passing objects or whatever.

This sucks big time. Enter wasm-bindgen...which is for rust but should be open to other languages in the future. It will streamline this whole thing at some point.

anyway, thats all neither here nor there, I just thought of it as I came into this thread to ask a question of my own:

Besides cost, what are the downsides to using a more esoteric TLD like .homes?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Thermopyle posted:

anyway, thats all neither here nor there, I just thought of it as I came into this thread to ask a question of my own:

Besides cost, what are the downsides to using a more esoteric TLD like .homes?

Depends on what you wanna use it for, but I've even recently run into email address validators that assume any TLD longer than three characters is invalid. Don't do front-end email address validation, kids.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Sorry for the drive by lovely question but: Is there such thing as a visual, graphical CSS "creator" that lets you create simple basic CSS animations without much or any coding? I'm talkign real webweaver/photoshop level type stuff. Does that even exist?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Gozinbulx posted:

Sorry for the drive by lovely question but: Is there such thing as a visual, graphical CSS "creator" that lets you create simple basic CSS animations without much or any coding? I'm talkign real webweaver/photoshop level type stuff. Does that even exist?

You mean like http://cssanimate.com/, http://animista.net/ or anything else under https://www.google.com/search?q=css+animation+generator

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

I sigh, seeing yet another wasted opportunity for a shortened lmgtfy link.

:sigh:

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
Stupid LESS question: I'm trying to create some custom icons/glyphs, so my code is currently littered with
code:
i.print:before {
  content: url("print.svg");
}
i.email:before{
  content: url("email.svg");
}
i.summon-cthulhu:before{
  content: url("elder-sign.svg");
}
Is there an easy way to compact this, possibly to something like
code:
i:before{
&.print {
  content: url("print.svg");
}
&.email {
  content: url("email.svg");
} 
}
? I tried that, but it just turns to i:before.print{ content: url("print.svg");}, which I don't think is valid CSS. I'm tempted to get the list plugin, make up an array of classes and URLs, and go from there, but that's almost more work than just writing out the entire block above.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

http://diana-adrianne.com/purecss-francine/

wtf

here's the repo: https://github.com/cyanharlow/purecss-francine

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
God drat that is crazy!

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

I'd found the first one but it didn't seem like that I am after. For instance, I don't see anywhere where I could import my own SVG to be animated, unless I missing something.

Thanks all the same.

Murrah
Mar 22, 2015

Just what I needed to back up my inferiority complex

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Google maps is moving to a paid API next month

Going from 25k free calls per day to 28k per month free, nice

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I am not happy with the type of things you have to deal with in service workers.

It feels like leaked abstractions, or things that could have been more sane handled in the browser, but are exposed to me because the type of early users of service workers.

I hope browsers don't add more things where I feel like I am writing a Operative System the hard way instead of a website.

Also, not having to handle memory is one of the greatest advances in software. gently caress that poo poo. If the webass current status with browsers kind of force you to do your own memory management, it kind of suck. And it if require a self-made GC, it again sucks.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

my bony fealty posted:

Google maps is moving to a paid API next month

Going from 25k free calls per day to 28k per month free, nice

Oh good, maybe my company will finally switch to a company account instead of using personal accounts of people that don't work here anymore.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

duz posted:

Oh good, maybe my company will finally switch to a company account instead of using personal accounts of people that don't work here anymore.

Nah, just keep many personal email accounts and use each until you hit the limit and then switch to the next!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Maybe is time to test alternative services.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Starting to see this pop up on more tech blogs and stuff today.

Here's how that looks rendered in IE7 on Windows 98:

I'm actually pretty impressed that it is kind of recognizable and that it renders at all.

Here it is rendered in some other browsers.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Anyone know of a simple theme (1 html file, 1 css file) for a page with black background, that is easy on the eyes?

When I try to google "dark theme template", all I find is templates for frameworks, or using frameworks, that use like 400 files and require configuring like 4 different tools.

I want to make something dumb on my free time.

Edit:
that francine thing is fantastic

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Tei posted:

Anyone know of a simple theme (1 html file, 1 css file) for a page with black background, that is easy on the eyes?

When I try to google "dark theme template", all I find is templates for frameworks, or using frameworks, that use like 400 files and require configuring like 4 different tools.

Edit:

Why not just learn css and do it yourself? I feel like what you're asking for doesn't exist. I imagine it wouldn't take more than 100 or so lines of css to have a decent theme.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You’re really handwaving the design part of it.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Tei posted:

Edit:

Never use a black (#000) background. Use a near-black but slightly "warm" very dark grey background. Everyone's eyes will thank you.

What do you need out of a "theme"? Just colors and typography? Components like buttons, etc?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

huhu posted:

Why not just learn css and do it yourself? I feel like what you're asking for doesn't exist. I imagine it wouldn't take more than 100 or so lines of css to have a decent theme.

I know how to do CSS, I just don't want to put time into this to do something clearly inferior to what a good CSS artist can do.

Lumpy posted:

Never use a black (#000) background. Use a near-black but slightly "warm" very dark grey background. Everyone's eyes will thank you.

What do you need out of a "theme"? Just colors and typography? Components like buttons, etc?

Anything easy on the eyes and dark would be cool. Do you know of any existing theme I can use?

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Tei posted:

Edit:

Are you using an existing framework like Bootstrap? Typically these days frameworks will have SCSS files you can edit to set your own colors. Yeah it will take a bit of effort, but certainly less than what it would take to make your own.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Tei posted:

I know how to do CSS, I just don't want to put time into this to do something clearly inferior to what a good CSS artist can do.

Anything easy on the eyes and dark would be cool. Do you know of any existing theme I can use?

No, but if you'd be specific on what you need, I might be able to bang something out for you quick.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Lumpy posted:

No, but if you'd be specific on what you need, I might be able to bang something out for you quick.

Thanks for the kind offer, but no. I would feel bad if somebody put time into it, and I end wasting it (is for a personal project).

Anyway, enough talk about this. Thanks for everyone feedback!.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
How about one of the dark bootswatch themes? It's bootstrap but with some stylistic changes, they're pretty nifty.

https://bootswatch.com/

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Maybe get skeleton?

http://getskeleton.com/ (this doesn't actually have a dark theme, I'm sorry). I guess it really depends on what framework you're using, if any at all. Bootswatch was linked earlier.

Maleh-Vor fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 4, 2018

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I have a pivot table in excel that has grouped rows and columns. I'd like to share this pivot table on my website, including the groupings, without making the data behind the pivot table publicly available.

Any suggestions? I'd pay a small fee to do it if it was easy.

EDIT: I should add that it must be interactive. Theres a lot of groups so having them all expanded would be annoying.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 9, 2018

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

CarForumPoster posted:

I have a pivot table in excel that has grouped rows and columns. I'd like to share this pivot table on my website, including the groupings, without making the data behind the pivot table publicly available.

Any suggestions? I'd pay a small fee to do it if it was easy.

EDIT: I should add that it must be interactive. Theres a lot of groups so having them all expanded would be annoying.

I know you want interactive, but you *can* export HTML from excel, so you can make it viewable easily. As for the interactivity, that should be pretty easy as well especially if it's just opening / closing groups.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Lumpy posted:

I know you want interactive, but you *can* export HTML from excel, so you can make it viewable easily. As for the interactivity, that should be pretty easy as well especially if it's just opening / closing groups.

I have relatively little design talent, I'm hoping there something out there I can use made by someone who does to make the data pop. I tried moving over to google sheets hoping their publish option would allow me to do this but alas it appears it doesn't. Very easy to publish with sheets.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
JS question: I have an array of objects I am trying to filter by the "tags" value. Tricky thing is, the CMS spits out "tags" as a string of semicolon-delimited values.

data = [ { tags: "fashion;beauty;audio"}, { tags: "fashion;beauty"}, { tags: "rocks;audio"} ]

I will have another array that I have complete control of, that can have any # of values that I can use as a filter.

let filters = ['fashion', 'beauty'];

How can I filter each object in the "data" array with the values in the "filters" array? The above filters (fashion or beauty) should return the first two objects in my example.

Boosh! fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 9, 2018

Sedro
Dec 31, 2008

Boosh! posted:

JS question: I have an array of objects I am trying to filter by the "tags" value. Tricky thing is, the CMS spits out "tags" as a string of semicolon-delimited values.

data = [ { tags: "fashion;beauty;audio"}, { tags: "fashion;beauty"}, { tags: "rocks;audio"} ]

I will have another array that I have complete control of, that can have any # of values that I can use as a filter.

let filters = ['fashion', 'beauty'];

How can I filter each object in the "data" array with the values in the "filters" array? The above filters (fashion or beauty) should return the first two objects in my example.

JavaScript code:
data.filter(x => filters.some(filter => x.tags.split(';').includes(filter)))

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Great, thanks man!

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I'm curious if anyone can point me to the easiest/simplest way to show a visitor different content based on their location. However I don't really want a popup asking the users location.

Basically we have some product images that look slightly different between our Canada and US product. I'd like to just check the users location and display the appropriate image. It's not enough of a content change to develop fully different pages for each locale.

Is there a simple way to handle this?

The website is written in MVC6 in case that helps.

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Light saber? Check. Black boots? Check. Codpiece? Check. He's more machine than kid now.

keep it down up there! posted:

I'm curious if anyone can point me to the easiest/simplest way to show a visitor different content based on their location. However I don't really want a popup asking the users location.

Basically we have some product images that look slightly different between our Canada and US product. I'd like to just check the users location and display the appropriate image. It's not enough of a content change to develop fully different pages for each locale.

There are a quite a few public APIs that will let you submit an IP address and will return the geolocation. I used melissadata awhile ago and it worked well. Just google 'ip geolocation'.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I'm trying to deploy to Amazon S3 and am also an idiot.
The endpoint works, I think I messed up somewhere in configuring the DNS, but I don't know how.
I made a hosted zone, created aliases pointing to S3 for mydomain.com and https://www.mydomain.com. I copied the Route 53 name servers to my Google Domains page.

What am I missing?

Edit: That DNS is not instantaneous.

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

keep it down up there! posted:

The Accept-Language header usually gives you a clue about which country they live in.