Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Charles Bukowski posted:

Everyone is bronze, despite what the game tells you.

I surprised myself by placing Silver 1 in team league, and I have no reason to believe that this isn't where I belong and may honestly be a bit high all things considered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

I think it's real weird personally how everyone always divides the playerbase between "oh these players are super godlike and so far away from reality that it can never be comparable to anyone" and "everybody else," like people are just born with inherent Grandmaster Video Game Genes or something. If you want to climb fast, I dunno, get way better? It seems pretty obvious but a bunch of people seem to think it's this impossible hurdle (except for all the high ranked players for some inexplicable reason).

This is just silly. Here's the current ranking distribution targets straight from a Blizzard employee:

quote:

Bronze: 7%
Silver: 35%
Gold: 35%
Platinum: 15%
Diamond: 7%
Master: 1%

So, realistically, the only way for people plat and below to get master/GM is for pretty much everyone above them to quit, not for them to just "get way better," because the algorithms are aiming for putting 92% of all players in plat and below. There is no such thing as just getting way better quickly. It's a slow, gradual process.

Also, since the placement algorithms are (usually not placing people +/- 4 leagues above/below where they should be placed, the differences between the skill level of the avg player complaining about ELO hell and where they should be placed are going to be significantly smaller than the skill gap between of all these moronic bronze-to-GM "elo hell isn't real, guys" challeges and the poor saps they're getting matched with (which are probably also making even more people at those low ranks bitch about bad matchmaking).

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

In my experience there isn't much skill gap between like Silver-Gold-Plat and maybe Diamond. Master seems like the real jump.

So climbing is a lovely slog unless you're actually a Grand Master that can carry a load of schlub-lords.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

If the number makes you this angry, just... don't play ranked.

Do 10 games of TL a season for the mount du jour and play UD or QP. ~free your mind~

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
An important skill for hl is being positive and thus reducing the amount of times you lose due to internal conflict. Just simple stuff like using smilies, asking people to take it easy, maybe tell a joke or an amusing anecdote.

Then if you wanna be a master, you can actually lead the team, call shots, etc.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

If the number makes you this angry, just... don't play ranked.

Do 10 games of TL a season for the mount du jour and play UD or QP. ~free your mind~

The number makes me significantly less angry than people trying to claim that bronze-to-GM challenges are anything other than an excuse to gently caress up the game experience for all the other people they get matchmade with. It's an "experiment" to disprove elo hell that in no way, shape, or form proves anything, other than "wow, those bronze people were not good enough to deal with an opponent who punishes every mistake they make."

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
I do think there is a difference between "I am a master player stuck in bronze due to elo hell" and "I used to be bad, but then I started learning how to get better, now I know how the game should be played and have a 55% win rate, but the grind makes me want to kill myself because I am still stuck playing with people who don't know how to play the game and hearding cats is super stressful."

Sometimes the answer is to just avoid competitive mode, like 99% of the playerbase does. Did anyone else see the reddit post about hots having 6.5m active accounts, ie, 2/3 of DOTA? I'm guessing most of those are QM/AI games.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Erdricks posted:

Sometimes the answer is to just avoid competitive mode, like 99% of the playerbase does. Did anyone else see the reddit post about hots having 6.5m active accounts, ie, 2/3 of DOTA? I'm guessing most of those are QM/AI games.
Blizzard showed a chart at I want to say the last Blizzcon showing the split. It was something like:

45% QM
30% HL
15% UD
10% TL

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Erdricks posted:

I do think there is a difference between "I am a master player stuck in bronze due to elo hell" and "I used to be bad, but then I started learning how to get better, now I know how the game should be played and have a 55% win rate, but the grind makes me want to kill myself because I am still stuck playing with people who don't know how to play the game and hearding cats is super stressful."

Yeah I would say the biggest problem is ranking up takes too long. Even a 60% win rate means you need to play 125 games to go up one league. 55% win rate means 250 games.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Give me a GM to Bronze challenge instead with a low bronze player given a GM account who's trying his absolute hardest

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

bamhand posted:

Yeah I would say the biggest problem is ranking up takes too long. Even a 60% win rate means you need to play 125 games to go up one league. 55% win rate means 250 games.

It's true, but if they changed this, you could lucky winstreak your way to grandmaster.

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

Give me a GM to Bronze challenge instead with a low bronze player given a GM account who's trying his absolute hardest

Hanjo one trick.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

pyromance posted:

Except a GM in bronze just proves that a GM should not be in bronze. No loving poo poo? It does nothing to show what a silver player in bronze would be capable of doing, or even a gold, in the same situation.

This seems to be assuming there is a massive, or at least noticeable, difference in skill between Bronze and Silver (or Gold.)

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

https://twitter.com/JSchritte/status/990851536308748288?s=19

It's not fun for anyone when it happens.

bamhand posted:

Blizzard is trying to address this! That was half the point of performance based matchmaking and a large part of why placement matches were a thing.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

pyromance posted:

Except it doesn't prove that? You can be better than the people you're matched with but not good enough to carry an entire team to victory. Yes, a person who is better than where they're placed will eventually get out of there over time, but the speed at which it happens is slow enough that it can get frustrating for people. The question of ELO hell is whether or not you should have to be way better than who you're getting matchmade with to rise in ranks.

All putting a GM in the silver league does is show that a GM should not be playing in silver league.

If you're even (consistently) slightly better than the other players at your level, you will hit at least 51% winrate and climb no matter what. This whole elo hell bullshit mentality exists in every single moba and it's never true.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Eraflure posted:

If you're even (consistently) slightly better than the other players at your level, you will hit at least 51% winrate and climb no matter what. This whole elo hell bullshit mentality exists in every single moba and it's never true.

A 51% win rate would let you rank up in +120 hours of play time. You would essentially be stuck unless you're playing HotS like a full time job.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

bamhand posted:

A 51% win rate would let you rank up in +120 hours of play time. You would essentially be stuck unless you're playing HotS like a full time job.

That seems about right for losing half the games you play though?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Winning 45 to 55% of your games, what a failure of matchmaking.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Well he was arguing that you would rise out of your "elo hell" but you really wouldn't.

A 60% win rate would require +12 hours to rank up. Which is kinda long imo. I doubt most people can get that kind of win rate unless they're mismatched by 2+ leagues.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

You wouldn't really be stuck, you'd rise very slowly, as you should, because you lose half the time you play.

Also, 12 hours isn't long. If you played 1 hour per day, that would be less than two weeks to rank up. And if they can only really manage to play that infrequently, I am not sure why they would be that concerned about HL rankings in the first place. Crying about Elo Hell and then playing only a few hours a week is hilariously stupid entitled bs.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

No Wave posted:

Winning 45 to 55% of your games, what a failure of matchmaking.

Just because it evens out at 50% doesn't mean they were good games. The goal of MMR and ranked play is to have good games, but you can be a gold player in bronze games, but incapable of carrying, where the level of play is just not where you want it.

People who complain about MMR hell who are where they deserve to be are one thing, but sometimes you get hosed in your placement matches and it sucks to climb out so slow.

This is the first season I've done ranked, and it had me start out at silver 4 and I climbed to gold 3 and the quality of games was so noticeably improved. Im really happy with the types of games i get now and dont feel a nee to climb as much. It doesn't feel bad to lose when you feel like everyone is at a similar skill level.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

quote:

Also, 12 hours isn't long. If you played 1 hour per day, that would be less than two weeks to rank up. And if they can only really manage to play that infrequently, I am not sure why they would be that concerned about HL rankings in the first place. Crying about Elo Hell and then playing only a few hours a week is hilariously stupid entitled bs.

So only people who play the game as a job should be placed correctly in HL? 7 hours a week isn't really an insignificant amount of time to devote to a hobby tbh.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I went from plat to master in SC2 playing a couple hours a week over a year with probably a 55% win rate. This would take 360 hours in HotS.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

bamhand posted:

I went from plat to master in SC2 playing a couple hours a week over a year with probably a 55% win rate. This would take 360 hours in HotS.

So, a couple of hours a week over a year?

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

Dietrich posted:

Check your math friend.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Hm I wonder how the 1v1 SC2 matchmaker can be more confident about your skill level than hots.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

pyromance posted:

So only people who play the game as a job should be placed correctly in HL?

Why are you so convinced your placement is incorrect?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Dietrich posted:

360 hours is an hour a day. I define couple as 2-3.

No Wave posted:

Hm I wonder how the 1v1 SC2 matchmaker can be more confident about your skill level than hots.

I don't know how other mobas do it but having 5 ranks per league and then 5 wins per rank ends up being a ton of games needed to move up. Plus your actual MMR and your league is only loosely correlated. I get the feeling that if your skill suddenly went up or down (say you got coaching or suffered brain damage) your league wouldn't really reflect your new skill until you played a really, really large amount of matches. I'm not sure why the game just doesn't display MMR or at the very least create fewer divisions between leagues.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

pyromance posted:

So only people who play the game as a job should be placed correctly in HL? 7 hours a week isn't really an insignificant amount of time to devote to a hobby tbh.

Kyrosiris posted:

If 7 hours a week is too much time to devote to playing a game of skill, then maybe you shouldn't be concerned with your ranking and just enjoy the time that you have. Again, it seems pretty entitled to say "I literally can't AFFORD to play this game much, but I DESERVE high placement in its ranking system."

And as a more direct answer to your question, yes, people who play more will provide more data to the system and would likely get a more accurate rating. This is a fine way for a system to work. The idea that the system should just hand out high ranks to people because they are big babies who think they deserve it despite admitting they don't actually have time to even play the game is ridiculous. HL is literally there for people who want to take the game seriously, not for people who can barely play to feel better about themselves. I almost never play HotS, so I avoid HL. I would love to be able to have the time and energy to play HotS enough to see where I rank, but right now I don't . And if I forced placements on myself, I wouldn't sit here and cry when I inevitably end up in the lowest leagues. Because I barely play the game.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

ToastyPotato posted:

If 7 hours a week is too much time to devote to playing a game of skill, then maybe you shouldn't be concerned with your ranking and just enjoy the time that you have. Again, it seems pretty entitled to say "I literally can't AFFORD to play this game much, but I DESERVE high placement in its ranking system."

And as a more direct answer to your question, yes, people who play more will provide more data to the system and would likely get a more accurate rating. This is a fine way for a system to work. The idea that the system should just hand out high ranks to people because they are big babies who think they deserve it despite admitting they don't actually have time to even play the game is ridiculous. HL is literally there for people who want to take the game seriously, not for people who can barely play to feel better about themselves. I almost never play HotS, so I avoid HL. I would love to be able to have the time and energy to play HotS enough to see where I rank, but right now I don't . And if I forced placements on myself, I wouldn't sit here and cry when I inevitably end up in the lowest leagues. Because I barely play the game.

I'm plat in TL and silver in HL. I stopped playing HL because I was sick of getting placed with idiots and didn't feel like slogging through hundreds of hours to get a similar experience as TL. Not sure why that's a controversial opinion to have.

You seem to be of the opinion "gently caress you, got mine" except you don't even have anything. I really don't see what the downside of a system that more quickly gets you to the right skill level is. I mean obviously it may be hard to implement but I don't see what's wrong about working toward that goal instead of accepting the status quo. As people have mentioned Blizzard tried performance based match making to try and help with the issue so they don't like the current system either.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 30, 2018

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Hots posted a new interview to Facebook. I can’t listen now someone sum it up tia.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

bamhand posted:

I'm plat in TL and silver in HL. I stopped playing HL because I was sick of getting placed with idiots and didn't feel like slogging through hundreds of hours to get a similar experience as TL. Not sure why that's a controversial opinion to have.

You seem to be of the opinion "gently caress you, got mine" except you don't even have anything. I really don't see what the downside of a system that more quickly gets you to the right skill level is. I mean obviously it may be hard to implement but I don't see what's wrong about working toward that goal instead of accepting the status quo. As people have mentioned Blizzard tried performance based match making to try and help with the issue so they don't like the current system either.

The game shouldn't fragment the game modes into different MMR. If you've got a 50% winrate at 2400 MMR in QM, there's no reason to match you with 1700 MMR players while in HL or UD.

They just need to kill the stupid tier system per game type and display a single MMR number for each player.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

bamhand posted:

I don't think there is anything controversial about the idea that people playing as a group will do better and have more fun than 5 randos who think everyone else on the team is beneath them. But that is part of the problem of HL isn't it? Everyone seems to think they are better than they are, and is shocked when teamwork falls apart because no one respects each other. If even half the HL players didn't play the game as if they had to suffer the indignity of playing with lower class plebs on their way to GM, perhaps HL would be less of a slog for everyone.

This isn't to say that truly "awful" players don't exist. Blizzard has admitted as much, and thankfully, they are looking into ways to lessen the impact on having leavers and afkers, etc on a team.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

ToastyPotato posted:

I'm just trying to get a bead for what the hell you two think is a reasonable amount of time for someone to get placed correctly for good matches in a hobby.

I also love that I'm now "entitled" for realizing that their system has virtually no mobility and that expecting someone to maintain a 60% winrate for an unreasonable amount of time to advance doesn't encourage people to stick with the game long term, which just exacerbates the problem of poor match quality.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

ToastyPotato posted:

I don't think there is anything controversial about the idea that people playing as a group will do better and have more fun than 5 randos who think everyone else on the team is beneath them. But that is part of the problem of HL isn't it? Everyone seems to think they are better than they are, and is shocked when teamwork falls apart because no one respects each other. If even half the HL players didn't play the game as if they had to suffer the indignity of playing with lower class plebs on their way to GM, perhaps HL would be less of a slog for everyone.

Shouldn't this apply to both teams though? It's not like TL has me in a plat team vs a silver HL team or vice versa. If teams overall play worse in HL than TL then that should apply to both teams, a person shouldn't suddenly be down 2 leagues when switching from one mode to the other.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Likee many players I use my crap characters in UD and my good characters in TL. Please keep the MMRs separate.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

pyromance posted:

I'm just trying to get a bead for what the hell you two think is a reasonable amount of time for someone to get placed correctly for good matches in a hobby.

I also love that I'm now "entitled" for realizing that their system has virtually no mobility and that expecting someone to maintain a 60% winrate for an unreasonable amount of time to advance doesn't encourage people to stick with the game long term, which just exacerbates the problem of poor match quality.
Post your win rate/games played

Not for epeen, but to calculate the odds of your outcome or a more extreme outcome given a true 50% winrate.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 30, 2018

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

bamhand posted:

Shouldn't this apply to both teams though? It's not like TL has me in a plat team vs a silver HL team or vice versa. If teams overall play worse in HL than TL then that should apply to both teams, a person shouldn't suddenly be down 2 leagues when switching from one mode to the other.

Doesn't TL allow for all kinds of weird mismatched team ups? Like, can't GMs team up with silver and gold players? Also isn't the playerbase on TL so low that you get crazy mismatches in skill on opposing teams sometimes? TL seems like a horrible way to measure skill level due to the low population.

As for the HL both teams thing, isn't most of the playerbase below diamond? I would think that is a likely reason. I don't think it is a coincidence that gold is the largest league.

pyromance posted:

It is entitlement because you are basically demanding that Blizzard squash the rankings and basically just make everyone in Silver, jump to Gold or Plat, for no other reason than to feel better. And that is precisely what you are asking because if they significantly lowered the number of games to proceed, it wouldn't effect just you. All those people you hate playing with? They would be playing under the same new system, and now you will be complaining about Plat or Diamond Elo Hell. And people already do. I think I have seen people call every league under Masters Elo/MMR Hell.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

The other issue that no one ever seems to answer is: what is "correct" in the context of a nebulous and subjective system like the HL ranking system?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Kyrosiris posted:

The other issue that no one ever seems to answer is: what is "correct" in the context of a nebulous and subjective system like the HL ranking system?

That's the big issue. Until we know what the actual difference in skill level is between the leagues, it is kind of silly to believe you belong in Gold, not Silver, or Plat, not Gold. The separation might be slight enough that perhaps that is why people are getting "stuck" there. In which case, Blizzard COULD change the rank definitions, but that is only going to A: upset people who think they should have been adjusted higher and B: end up right back where we started with people's new ranks becoming the new hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

the only real ranking system is how often you get upvotes from your teammates at the end of a match

which makes me an easy platinum for sure, maybe even diamond. i got like a 75% win rate in upvotes.