Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Fiore dei Liberi had some pretty nasty grappling stuff as well, around the same period. Based around "gently caress up the other guy as hard as possible in as little time as possible". He wrote it in style too.

Fiore posted:

I would compel you, ugly, to lick the ground with your mouth;
Not to mention I would even make you, wretched, enter the lowest key.

Fiore posted:

I would throw you, without pause, into the farthest earth up to the kidneys.
Without you being able to rise from ominous punishment at all.

A renaissance man's version of "you gon get beat" :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Neltharak posted:

Fiore dei Liberi had some pretty nasty grappling stuff as well, around the same period. Based around "gently caress up the other guy as hard as possible in as little time as possible". He wrote it in style too.

Dude was the real deal. Fought and won 4 longsword duels with no armor but a leather jerkin and gloves. I imagine his opponents didn't live past those (but I can't find any further info).

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Or so he claims, anyway.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Siivola posted:

Or so he claims, anyway.

We choose to believe

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Neltharak posted:

I went to the beach with a friend, who had recently gotten his blue belt and I tapped him from turtle by jumping on his back, grapeving the legs and shoving his face in the sand to smother him.

I teach'a him da hespect.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

I somehow read that in the most cliche'd italian accent possible and am picturing you as a wrestler version of mario. I apologize.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

mewse posted:

If I ended up in one of those things for some reason I wouldn't mention any training I've done until seeing how the instructor acted a little bit.

"MMA doesn't work on the streets" "techniques too deadly for sparring", gently caress off

I had to apologize to the Crossfit gym owner for my "conduct" at our company event because "I should not have went because I did Martial Arts and it was not for me". I was trying not to laugh the whole conversation.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

I had to apologize to the Crossfit gym owner for my "conduct" at our company event because "I should not have went because I did Martial Arts and it was not for me". I was trying not to laugh the whole conversation.

I'm sorry for exposing your charlatanry

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Sorry for actually being able to fight people without glass jaws and/or testicles.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Neltharak posted:

I somehow read that in the most cliche'd italian accent possible and am picturing you as a wrestler version of mario. I apologize.

All Brazilian accents should be spoken in the style of Renato Laranja

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Forging Elite Frauds

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Who would win in a fight: a Crossfit Self-defense instructor or a Title Boxing MMA Instructor?

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 27, 2018

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Title guy. Like every amateur fighter at my gym works at Title as a day job. Theres a non zero chance that the Title trainer trains at an actual gym when they're not working.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Novum posted:

Title guy. Like every amateur fighter at my gym works at Title as a day job.

Oh yeah. I was thinking more about the products of the classes instead of the instructors. My question ignored that many Title instructors are legit fighters who have to teach Jazzercise boxing just to make ends meet.

The reason I was making fun of Title is because someone I know got fired for teaching how to properly duck during drills.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

:laffo:

What the gently caress.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Did you apologize by taking a poo poo in his shoes? Because that's pretty much the only appropriate answer.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Liquid Communism posted:

Did you apologize by taking a poo poo in his shoes? Because that's pretty much the only appropriate answer.

Ah, the ancient art of Tae poo poo Do

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Interesting gimmick for weapons fighting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEsYy53Nx-4&t=176s
As expected, the HEMA guys have the best technique, though in both fights I feel like the hit detecting/scoring seemed to work against the non-HEMA guys. Like when the Chinese staff guy lands a legit staff end to the face but the rubbery staff glances off and only registers as an orange hit.

Another commentary I saw that I agree with is that the damage scoring seems uneven but in general too tolerant on strike damage just to make rounds go longer and be better casual viewing, instead of the fencing-like scoring for HEMA.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

kimbo305 posted:

As expected, the HEMA guys have the best technique, though in both fights I feel like the hit detecting/scoring seemed to work against the non-HEMA guys. Like when the Chinese staff guy lands a legit staff end to the face but the rubbery staff glances off and only registers as an orange hit.

Another commentary I saw that I agree with is that the damage scoring seems uneven but in general too tolerant on strike damage just to make rounds go longer and be better casual viewing, instead of the fencing-like scoring for HEMA.

That looks really cool thing to watch. I hope they're able to improve the armor and weapons a bit though.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

DandyLion posted:

Ah, the ancient art of Tae poo poo Do

Brown belt, 6th dan

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

kimbo305 posted:

Yeah, chinese guy got robbed on a few thrusts, sadly. Those should have been disabling. Still, good stuff.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
On the subject of Mcdojos, I was back in my hometown a few months back and was curious to find out if there were open mats going on.

There were two spots, first one was a place that offered ''cardio-grappling'' and the pic online of the class was a bunch of people in gi's doing pushups.
The other spot was a bjj place but taught by a blue belt. I texted them and they asked for my rank (blue) and then told me classes were not open to visitors at this time.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Odddzy posted:

On the subject of Mcdojos I was back in my hometown a few months back and was curious to find out if there were open mats going on around town. There were two spots, first one was a place that offered ''cardio-grappling'' and the pic online of the class was a bunch of people in gi's doing pushups.

The other spot was a bjj place but taught by a blue belt. I texted them and they asked for my rank (blue) and then told me classes were not open to visitors at this time.

I'll take a blue belt with good notions of what to do in a class and how to transmit knowledge properly over a black belt that doesn't have a clue on how teaching works, tbh. Of course, if he actually went to open his own place as a blue belt, he probably isn't either of those things.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Nothing wrong with him being a blue belt. My hometown is pretty rural so good BJJ instructors are rare and you'd have to travel around 3-5 hours to go to a decent place so I think it's cool he opened up a spot over there. I mostly got the feeling I was snubbed because he didn't want the risk of not performing well in front of someone that's not better or from his crew during open mat.

I might be completely off base. But up till that question he was open to me coming over.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

That is entirely possible, yeah.

Had the same thing happen with a so-called kung-fu instructor.

Two possible reasons :

1) He's scared he'll lose whatever authority he'll have on his class if you beat him
2) He's worried you'll disrupt the class and prevent teaching by simply mouthing off everytime he speaks.

One of those is a valid concern. Sadly common in martial arts nowadays.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This is one of the reasons my instructor owns. He started his club as one of those blue belts in a rural area and it has grown over the years. He's a brown belt now, and when a visiting person comes in he posts something like SO AND SO FROM THE SUCH AND SUCH CLUB IS COMING DOWN AND HE'S GOING TO KICK MY rear end. YOU SHOULD COME SO HE CAN KICK YOUR rear end TOO.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Yeah, It's unfortunate but it is what it is. There are simply no grappling academies over there besides that small one. Hat's off to him for doing a class with meager resources. FWIW, I still think Whiskey's story of the Crossfit self defence class takes the cake.

To me, CommonShores instructor sounds like he's got the right idea of how to do it when you're in a small place and training partners are hard to come by.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

CommonShore posted:

This is one of the reasons my instructor owns. He started his club as one of those blue belts in a rural area and it has grown over the years. He's a brown belt now, and when a visiting person comes in he posts something like SO AND SO FROM THE SUCH AND SUCH CLUB IS COMING DOWN AND HE'S GOING TO KICK MY rear end. YOU SHOULD COME SO HE CAN KICK YOUR rear end TOO.

People like that loving own.

Gryi
Sep 30, 2004
"Rem Koolhaas is the Darth Vader of architecture."
3 months in, wish me luck in my first local judo tourney! I’ve been charging my chi blast all morning.

Weight bracket put me in against 3 black belts and a brown. I did not win.

Gryi fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 28, 2018

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Good luck! Don't forget your kaioken, it's what sets the gokus apart from the yamchas

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Good luck! Go in with full confidence, it is the key to success. You can beat anyone, you are the main event, the main attraction.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good luck! Don't forget to sweep the leg Johnny.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

The Bullshitdo is so strong that I had to go and find out who this person actually is. My head hurts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzfsBwxFfZg

http://elitefreestylehapkido.com

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JaySB posted:

The Bullshitdo is so strong that I had to go and find out who this person actually is. My head hurts.

I love how he ignores side control position on one side and crawls over the partner to get it on the other other side.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I like that they have the schizophrenic website design of a legit martial arts dojo though, good effort

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
It infuriates me that people are dumb enough to keep that guy in business.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I left a review on their Facebook page. I don't think they're pleased with me.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

JaySB posted:

I love bad Hap Ki Do. Behind traditional knife disarms, I'd say that bad Hap Ki Do is my second favorite terrible technique to watch.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

JaySB posted:

I left a review on their Facebook page. I don't think they're pleased with me.

Did they close the facebook page? I wanted to read some comments to laugh a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

I mean, his other site isn't much better.

https://hapkidokid.weebly.com/