Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

MrSargent posted:

That's a fair suggestion and I just got an email from Arturia about a discounted V Collection, which includes a Model D softsynth. That's a shame about the Model D, because it really looked exciting. I don't know much about tuning oscillators so maybe you can help me out. I have a Korg Minilogue and every time I start it up, it goes through a Tuning process. This is usually pretty quick and has never bothered me, but are you saying that its much worse on the Model D? I didn't realize that it came with no presets, which would kinda suck for my process. I tend to scroll through presets until I find something close, and then tweak it. I tried designing my sounds from scratch at one point, and while I am glad I learned a lot, for me sound design absolutely kills my creativity when trying to write something.

The D is just a box with knobs that makes moog sounds. No patches, no VST connection, no nothing. Pure analog. And yeah, it takes half an hour to an hour to warm up (this is why it took so long to produce models, they all had to warm up in the factory before calibration). Then you have to tune it either to an external tuner - I run mine through the ableton tuner - or against the 440hz tone generator on the box.

It is not a speedy process and I actively avoid using it now because it just cripples my inspiration. I have to turn it on most days on the offchance that I'll use it and then remember to tune it before doing anything.

It's lovely to know I have pure Moog on tap, but it's really not conducive to instant gratification. I like patching it into my 0-coast and just noodling for a while, so treating it as a piece of modular gear is fine. It's hands on and practical, but, like the 0-coast its for sampling and making real stuff with later in the process. If I wanted to use a Moog as an instrument in a track, I'd open up Arturia's one and use that.

Just my personal opinion of using the D for the past few months; your mileage may vary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

MrSargent posted:

Model D softsynth

I don't know if you have any iOS devices, but if you do, the official Model D app is pretty great: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/minimoog-model-d/id1339418001?mt=8

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
That makes a lot of sense and I feel like I would have similar issues using the Model D given the hassle of setting it up every time. Appreciate the feedback because this certainly makes the decision to go with the V Collection a lot easier.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
How on earth did musicians get anything done before software if using an actual hardware synth kills your inspiration

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 30, 2018

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Dyna Soar posted:

How on earth did musicians get anything done before software if using an actual hardware synth kills your inspiration

before sequencers, you had to perform music

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Dyna Soar posted:

How on earth did musicians get anything done before software if using an actual physical kills your inspiration because it needs to be tuned

Transferring samples over MIDI from Recycle to my s1000 gave me just enough time to pack and smoke a bowl

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

MrSargent posted:

That's a fair suggestion and I just got an email from Arturia about a discounted V Collection, which includes a Model D softsynth. That's a shame about the Model D, because it really looked exciting. I don't know much about tuning oscillators so maybe you can help me out. I have a Korg Minilogue and every time I start it up, it goes through a Tuning process. This is usually pretty quick and has never bothered me, but are you saying that its much worse on the Model D? I didn't realize that it came with no presets, which would kinda suck for my process. I tend to scroll through presets until I find something close, and then tweak it. I tried designing my sounds from scratch at one point, and while I am glad I learned a lot, for me sound design absolutely kills my creativity when trying to write something.

The Roland SE-02 might be more your thing. It does moog sounds, has presets, a good sequencer, a tuning routine and cross modulation. It's a good synth. If you can handle its tiny knobs.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Dyna Soar posted:

You didn't read my post at all I guess. I have plenty of hardware synths that inspire me and I use all the time. I don't have to wait for an hour after turning them on to use them though.

There's a reason Dave Smith doesn't like analogue oscillators either.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Plavski posted:

You didn't read my post at all I guess. I have plenty of hardware synths that inspire me and I use all the time. I don't have to wait for an hour after turning them on to use them though.

I even mentioned that I have a minilogue that I like playing because it is low hassle and easy to fire up.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MrSargent posted:

That makes a lot of sense and I feel like I would have similar issues using the Model D given the hassle of setting it up every time. Appreciate the feedback because this certainly makes the decision to go with the V Collection a lot easier.

fwiw I think the V Collection is amazing and my main complaint about it is that it's too much :v:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Your Computer posted:

fwiw I think the V Collection is amazing and my main complaint about it is that it's too much :v:

i have it too and each one is like a week's worth of learning to use. cmi is basically a daw in and of itself. a scary amount of sounds.

that matrix tho. god what a lush pad machine it is. and the buchla is just a beautiful playground

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Plavski posted:

i have it too and each one is like a week's worth of learning to use. cmi is basically a daw in and of itself. a scary amount of sounds.

https://youtu.be/Jkhnr6H4QZg

Or maybe this one is more apt idk-

https://youtu.be/lr2acDdfbvY

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Plavski posted:

the time it takes to warm up and the amount of drift and tuning i have to do have forever put me off analog oscillators. tuning oscillators is the death of inspiration imo. when i want a sound i don't want to have to tune my synth up every time i switch it on. i don't have to do that for my guitars and i don't want to do that for my synths. digital oscillators 4 lyfe

sorry are you really saying here you don't have to tune your guitars?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Oldstench posted:

Transferring samples over MIDI from Recycle to my s1000 gave me just enough time to pack and smoke a bowl

I had a SCSI interface and wrote custom software to load banks on my S2000, but :same:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

JamesKPolk posted:

sorry are you really saying here you don't have to tune your guitars?

Not every single time I pick them up, no. Do you? Might want to invest in better quality tuning keys if that's the case.

My guitars can also be tuned in a minute, not an hour. I'm really confused as to why people are confused.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Plavski posted:

I tune initially and have to wait for half an hour for the original Mini to get reliably in tune. The thing is; if you just let it warm up and do nothing, it doesn't go as fast as actually playing it.

The tune knob (and by extension, separate volume controls for headphones and main outs) are on the front panel for a reason; most other synths have their fine-tune hidden away. Just grab it and move it to the right spot for every take you want to do.

Yes, it's something you have to live with if you want to stick close to the Mini, and it's totally valid to not like this, but in that case you might be happier with something else.

quote:

Voltage-controlled ones that is, but with enough microprocessors, you can auto-tune them easily - to the point where they become a bit too clean.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I haven't had much time to really play around with the Model D, and also bear in mind I'm much more of a person who twiddles knobs and does little jams than someone who needs a high degree of stability for serious recordings, but I can say that the sound of it is pretty phenomenal.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
It comes down to ease of use vs. character and hands-on experience. The complaint that an instrument kills off inspiration because it needs to be tuned is just baffling to me, but then again i am from a rock band backround. Like, that poo poo is nothing compared to if you actually want your drumkit tuned properly

I also dont really mind of an instrument drifts a timy bit out of tune, since stringed instrument can never be tuned “perfectly”

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

When I'm making music and go "a Moog sound would be great here" I don't want to have to wait to get that sound is all. If I have to turn on my Moog, wait for it to warm up, play with the tuning knob, make sure everything is fine, then dial in a patch sound I want, well so much for that pang of inspiration. It's gone from being a spontaneous fun experience to a chore.

I'm way more of a seat of the pants style guy who likes to just call up the sounds I hear in my head as and when they appear. I also have a variety of instruments at hand - from synths to keyboards to pianos to guitars to basses, so the drum comparison doesn't quite work. It's not like I'd have a full drum set and be a drummer and say "this song needs some drums, let me tune up my kit". Playing with an analog warm up device that is not a core instrument is very different conceptually, at least to me.

I can grab my bass from the stand and play and know that there is a very good chance it's in tune. If it's not, it takes a minute to tune it. For me, it's about being able to reach for a sound. For others, it might be more about the ritual of setting up an environment where everything is perfectly in tune and ordered before starting work. I'm not that guy.

In regards to the original topic, this is just my experience with the Model D. Everyone else might vary, but I wanted to help MrSargent get an idea of some of the downsides of the instrument that might not be apparent. I still enjoy it as an experimental playground device. It's fun to wire it into my 0-Coast and sample it into my Digitakt, as I've said. But I still think it's a valid opinion to have and valid advice.

Plavski fucked around with this message at 12:43 on May 1, 2018

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
A whole new generation gets to experience first hand why the DX7 was such a smash hit

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

There's a Korg R3 minus the microphone for $100 on Craigslist, should I go for it

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm trying to prune my synth collection and it's so hard. I know I have way more than I need, but I think I make the mistake of telling myself "I'm gonna sell this synth, so I should spend an evening sampling it/recording a few lines for posterity". Which is an obvious mistake, because then I start thinking that well maybe I really should keep that synth after all.

How do people ever actually part with gear? I'm bad at this.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

There's a Korg R3 minus the microphone for $100 on Craigslist, should I go for it

Uh yeah. Outside of the build feel, it’s one of the best VAs in forever imo. I beat on mine and it never gave me trouble but it sure is creaky. Radius•K has more everything but nobody bought them, so hey the R3.

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm trying to prune my synth collection and it's so hard. I know I have way more than I need, but I think I make the mistake of telling myself "I'm gonna sell this synth, so I should spend an evening sampling it/recording a few lines for posterity". Which is an obvious mistake, because then I start thinking that well maybe I really should keep that synth after all.

How do people ever actually part with gear? I'm bad at this.

It’s real tough especially if you’ve sold something that’s become very expensive. It’ll distort your perception. Save for some fetishes, I suggest the old time method. If I haven’t touched it in foo months etc.
They’ll pry my ESQ from my cold, dead hands though :v:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Startyde posted:

It’s real tough especially if you’ve sold something that’s become very expensive. It’ll distort your perception. Save for some fetishes, I suggest the old time method. If I haven’t touched it in foo months etc.
They’ll pry my ESQ from my cold, dead hands though :v:

I at least haven't had the issue of selling something that would have actually increased in value (yet). My problem is I'm horribly disorganized when it comes to making music, but I think I have it in my head that I should pare down to one synth for each "niche". Issue being, I use synths in weird ways that aren't really what they're best at, because I tend to get used to one synth's workflow over another. So I'll look at, say, my Mopho Keys and consider that I've got at least a couple other synths that cover the same or similar territory and I should get rid of it, but I have some weird attachment to it because I've had it quite a bit longer than the rest of my synths.

Then I have one-trick ponies like the Erebus which sounds lush and fantastic, but I barely ever use it in part because it's a one trick pony, and end up just using something like the Peak or Minilogue through effects to achieve the same end since I use them both on a near-daily basis and can get what I want faster, in some ways.

Also, I honestly suspect none of the synths I own will become hard-to-find collector's items, at least not on any kind of brief timeline. The "oldest" synth I own in terms of original release date is probably that Mopho Keys.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Startyde posted:

Uh yeah. Outside of the build feel, it’s one of the best VAs in forever imo. I beat on mine and it never gave me trouble but it sure is creaky. Radius•K has more everything but nobody bought them, so hey the R3.

Cool thanks. I don’t have a lot of synth experience besides playing around with VSTs so I’m excited for it (if the guy responds that is)

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

MockingQuantum posted:

Also, I honestly suspect none of the synths I own will become hard-to-find collector's items, at least not on any kind of brief timeline. The "oldest" synth I own in terms of original release date is probably that Mopho Keys.

Box it up and stick it in your closest. Pull it out again if you really want to play with it again -- keep it! If it's still in there a month or two later, it's all boxed up for when you sell it this time.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Yes, full stop.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Startyde posted:

:ssh: it’s a stripped down echobode from sonic charge. Same dev and everything.

https://valhalladsp.com/shop/delay/valhalla-freq-echo/

Same thing for free.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Kind of going off the MG-1 conversation the other week I've been thinking about controlling very polyphonic synths with CV and I'm wondering what makes sense to / has worked for other people.

How is it done? I'm seeing CV to MIDI things that seem to have a fixed number of tracks, which I don't find too inspiring. I was reading about people playing piano VSTs with those the other day and it was interesting but also not quite what I had in mind.

Chord memory/triggering like a mono or limited poly is the other thing I can think of.

And then I'm interested if algorithmically generating n+o signals from n signals produces musically interesting results without a ton of effort. But I'm definitely less interested in weird and abstract for now and that seems like the kind of rabbit hole where I'm afraid I'd start writing code and end up in 3 years with something that totally reconciles Hardstlye and the Kabbalah but doesn't solve the problems I'm actually interested in.

Anyway what else is out there?

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I believe the KARP Odyssey has a global pitch CV and a OSC 2 offset CV hidden on a TRS cable. What hardware do you have in mind?

Something you could do with n signals and little effort might look like having a vector v = (n1, n2, ..., nk) represent a tonic note and some scale degrees, and hit it with an (n + o) x n matrix Mt. Then you could change Mt every sixteenth note or whatever for harmony and transpose by swapping out v.

So Math fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 3, 2018

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

https://cycling74.com/products/m
Good for generative composition on a theme. There’s probably something more modern but dunno.
The CV->MIDI boxes I know are just for CCs.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoFqUcHJgOA
yeesh that thing's gonna be expensive

also, behringer 808, likely to be not very expensive at all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQPsln1d-Ek

Plavski fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 3, 2018

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Plavski posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoFqUcHJgOA
yeesh that thing's gonna be expensive

also, behringer 808, likely to be not very expensive at all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQPsln1d-Ek

That sexual healing drum line though :fh:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLa3QLEAq08
this looks like a ton of fun. a real Fisher Price activity center of music. gonna be expensive no doubt, but it could be worth some trades if the pad ui is as fun in reality as it was demonstrated there. with the pads having that mpe style action, you're gonna be able to do some really expressive stuff

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Behringer really stepping up their game with synths. I'm actually thinking of going for one of these over Roland's TR.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
What's the good site for OP1 patches? There's like three that I can tell. I just want to pull some more varied drums and some spacey presets.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Lame the P-X can’t sample. That probably means it can’t resample either which is silly. I don’t get this trend. Also no user samples until winter ‘18 :wtc:
Tempest 2.0?
Does it accept ext midi clock? :v:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Startyde posted:

Lame the P-X can’t sample. That probably means it can’t resample either which is silly. I don’t get this trend. Also no user samples until winter ‘18 :wtc:
Tempest 2.0?
Does it accept ext midi clock? :v:

Im curious, since I don't really have any synths that can do it, what's the advantage of being able to resample internally on a synth? I've sampled synth lines in a DAW every once in a while because I like the effect I get when playing it in a different range on a software sampler or to do heavy processing on it or whatever, but I don't really know what resampling straight from the synth, back into the synth would get you.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

MockingQuantum posted:

Im curious, since I don't really have any synths that can do it, what's the advantage of being able to resample internally on a synth? I've sampled synth lines in a DAW every once in a while because I like the effect I get when playing it in a different range on a software sampler or to do heavy processing on it or whatever, but I don't really know what resampling straight from the synth, back into the synth would get you.

you can stack effects, filtering, &c, and sometimes pitchshift things further than you could w/o resampling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

you can stack effects, filtering, &c, and sometimes pitchshift things further than you could w/o resampling

Oh I didn't think about stacking filters or effects, that makes sense. I suppose you could stack all varieties of modulation, too, which makes me feel funny things just thinking about it.