Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

bewbies posted:

TIME FOR SOME PEDANTRY

The 262's swept wing is one of those really misleading history things. It looks amazing and sophisticated and futuristic, but it wasn't actually swept enough to offer much benefit in transonic performance, and the 262's engines really weren't powerful enough to push those speeds in level flight anyway. The 262's swept wings as amazing and revolutionary is one of those History Facts that has penetrated absolutely everywhere. Anyway...

The 262 was an astonishingly advanced aerodynamic platform, but the wing sweep wasn't a big part of it. The wings' shape was a lot more important, as was its choice of airfoil, taper, and use of slats. It was, along with (accidentally) the P-51, the first real example of transonic aerodynamics. The wings were what let the 262 do so much with its lovely engines, and why it handled so beautifully even at very high speeds. The P-80 used a lot of the same features, and got a lot of the same incredible results.

The P-59, and the Meteor to a lesser extent, were basically 1930s airframes with jet engines stuck on them. The P-59, for instance, had a HUGE power to weight advantage over the 262, but thanks to its retard wings its performance was far behind that of contemporary prop fighters. The Meteor's airframe wasn't much better, but the engine technology was killer and sort of helped overcome the poor aerodynamic performance. Later variants subtly improved some of the aerodynamics, due in part, ironically, to lessons learned from studying the 262's airframe.

Here's a good albeit dense overview of these early jets.

I remember reading somewhere that the Me-262's swept wing was actually to correct a CG imbalance rather than affect the speed characteristics but now I can't remember where I read that or whether it's true, can you confirm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I was reading a history of the 3rd Royal Tank Regiment in WW2, and it got me thinking. Looking at their record, they seem to have been involved in most of the major British battles/campaigns of the war in the west (except for the Italian front).

I'm sure they're not unique in this. Does anyone else have examples of units that manged to be involved in almost every major campaign/battle of a war?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tomn posted:

:stare:

Is this as bad of an idea as it seems at first glance? For that matter, were most Germans actually on board with the plan? The idea of a government deliberately pursuing hyperinflation seems a bit batshit to me.

Obviously, the German governments of the time saw this differently. They saw this as France trying to destroy them, so they fought back tooth and nail. (There was this one nasty uprising in the twenties where it turned out the French had essentially turned some of the political leaders along the German states at their western border. No-one ever remembers this because those uprisings failed hard and fast. They had after all nearly zero backing by the population.)

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I remember reading that the 1871 indemnity was supposed to be the same as that imposed by Napoleon (plus inflation), is that the case?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Libluini posted:

Obviously, the German governments of the time saw this differently. They saw this as France trying to destroy them, so they fought back tooth and nail. (There was this one nasty uprising in the twenties where it turned out the French had essentially turned some of the political leaders along the German states at their western border. No-one ever remembers this because those uprisings failed hard and fast. They had after all nearly zero backing by the population.)

The policies pursued that led to hyper-inflation also weren't as obvious as just printing lots of money (remember that Germany was still on the gold standard). If I remember correctly one of the primary drivers was that the German government resolved to continue paying the factory workers in the occupied Ruhr, who weren't going to work, full or even inflated wages, and that this helped drive inflation out of control.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 1, 2018

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Do we have a thread for economic history or good sources on this? I have a ton of questions related to this but I don't even know where to start asking.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Don Gato posted:

Do we have a thread for economic history or good sources on this? I have a ton of questions related to this but I don't even know where to start asking.

Interwar Germany broadly falls under milhist, I'd say just ask.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
this became "the good hist thread but mostly with soldiers" a longass time ago

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

chitoryu12 posted:

Due to its design problems, the Panther ended up being best used in a fixed position firing at known points that the gunner could easily reach (because he had no unmagnified sight, so it took 20 or 30 seconds of work with the commander to find a new target). Its gun was really good against tanks but not as good as some less powerful ones for infantry support and couldn’t be fired rapidly without stressing the barrel. It couldn’t really be used on mild slopes or while moving and the driver could wreck the transmission with sloppy shifting or neutral steering.

The T-34 and Shermans with bigger guns are probably more MBT than the Panther. They weren’t the most powerful or fastest or most heavily armored tanks, but they were good enough at all of those and could handle any non-specialized armored vehicle role pretty well.

The bolded is one of my favorite tiny little details about later German tanks that I absolutely love. The gunners had sights/scopes that you could count the enemy tank commander's nosehairs with...provided they could find the tank to fire at while being zoomed in. It's the same effect as playing the modern Battlefield games and slapping a 12x scope on your gun if any of y'all are familiar with those: it's just too much magnification to be useful. Especially in a tank that doesn't give you an unmagnified viewport to look through to acquire a target in the first place.

Panzer Commander: "We need better sights for our tanks so the gunner can find the target!"
*Porsche increases the magnification on the gunner's sight, still doesn't add a wide-angle sight for the gunner to look through.*
Panzer Commander: "I said better not more powerful"
*Factory dabbles in night vision cameras, gunner still looking at the world through a pinhole.*
Panzer Commander: "Schiess...you are not listening."

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

HEY GUNS posted:

If you're asking about history that happened after the fall of the Roman Empire, it goes here. Before the fall of the Roman empire, it goes in the other thread.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

sullat posted:

If you're asking about history that happened after the fall of the Roman Empire, it goes here. Before the fall of the Roman empire, it goes in the other thread.

if you're asking about people who hit people with swords, it goes here. if you want to hit people with swords, it goes in the fencing thread.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Can anyone name one topic in history that's not directly or indirectly related to military history?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Honestly the thread should really be renamed IMO, there've been a number of posts over the years like "oh, I thought that thread was just tanks and stuff" which on the one hand isn't really wrong but also means with a different title maybe we could trick some other people into actually taking a look.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ponzicar posted:

Can anyone name one topic in history that's not directly or indirectly related to military history?

not...hitting people...with swords?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It's a shame that "TIME FOR SOME PEDANTRY" came in just too late to make it as a thread title.

(I say lovingly and approvingly, pedantry is what I assume the rest of you come here for too)

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
for that matter personally I'd like to see a different thread for WW2 tanks/vehicles etc since it's one of the only subjects that could probably sustain one by itself and I have very little interest in it but then I guess the same goes for other people wrt e.g. me finding a way to bring up Korea all the time and I suppose some cross pollination in subjects isn't a bad thing. I tend to skip the WW2 armor posts but from time to time I end up reading them and I guess I know a lot more about it than I would have otherwise.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

ponzicar posted:

Linguistics?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

ponzicar posted:

The Clausewitz corollary: military history is merely a continuation of history by pikes and poo poo.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Linguistics is super influenced by the movement of peoples and dominant classes and so on, which all tends to have hitting people with swords factor into them in some way.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Gnoman posted:

Linguistics?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzf60iFsx2c

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Have you considered that swords are cool

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Koramei posted:

Linguistics is super influenced by the movement of peoples and dominant classes and so on, which all tends to have hitting people with swords factor into them in some way.

There you go. The answer to the question was probably "no", then.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I3zCQzZx68

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's a shame that "TIME FOR SOME PEDANTRY" came in just too late to make it as a thread title.

(I say lovingly and approvingly, pedantry is what I assume the rest of you come here for too)

I'm just here to gush about dumb stuff and be called a wehraboo in the process.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I'm just here to gush about dumb stuff and be called a wehraboo in the process.

A wehraboo, but for Japanese tech. If we could just think of a name for it

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Koramei posted:

for that matter personally I'd like to see a different thread for WW2 tanks/vehicles etc since it's one of the only subjects that could probably sustain one by itself and I have very little interest in it but then I guess the same goes for other people wrt e.g. me finding a way to bring up Korea all the time and I suppose some cross pollination in subjects isn't a bad thing. I tend to skip the WW2 armor posts but from time to time I end up reading them and I guess I know a lot more about it than I would have otherwise.

We had one, it died.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Ainsley McTree posted:

A wehraboo, but for Japanese tech. If we could just think of a name for it

What are you implying here? The playstation 4 is simply the superior console.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
WW2 Data

So what the hell do Submarines use as pyrotechnics? Well... lithium, for one. But how is it used, and what does it create? What colours are used in the various flares available to a submarine? What precautions should be taken for emergency signals? What colour requires more attention, and why? How exactly does a "False Target" shell or can work? All that and more at the blog!

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3YmNv6FO9s

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

In the early modern it was clearly the entire point to have your bulge noticed

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

HEY GUNS posted:

Military History Mk. III: The Good History Thread (feat. Soldiers)

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Tias posted:

Did I seriously pick two thread titles in a row? :whatup:

PittTheElder posted:

It's too long though? Not showing up correctly for me, ends at "another is".

The Milhist Thread: Archaic Dick Truncation

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

sullat posted:

I'm pretty sure we've discussed pre-1453 milhist in this thread before, you know :colbert:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The Roman Empire ended in 1990, when the Germans under Franz Beckenbauer won the World Cup in Rome

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Randarkman posted:

The policies pursued that led to hyper-inflation also weren't as obvious as just printing lots of money (remember that Germany was still on the gold standard). If I remember correctly one of the primary drivers was that the German government resolved to continue paying the factory workers in the occupied Ruhr, who weren't going to work, full or even inflated wages, and that this helped drive inflation out of control.

Yeah, with measures like that, we can answer Tomn's question with "Yes, the majority of Germans were on board with this" :v:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Ghetto Prince posted:

What are you implying here? The playstation 4 is simply the superior console.

American planes had the wrong engines

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6_I5_eSrvk

aphid_licker posted:

The Roman Empire ended in 1990, when the Germans under Franz Beckenbauer won the World Cup in Rome
Checks out.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Randarkman posted:

It always amuses me when people pull out the 'hyperinflation had nothing to do with the rise of the Nazis' line as if it's completely ridiculous to suggest that a major economic catastrophe could have political implications that ripple on for over a decade.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

I remember reading somewhere that the Me-262's swept wing was actually to correct a CG imbalance rather than affect the speed characteristics but now I can't remember where I read that or whether it's true, can you confirm?

Here's a good albeit dense overview of these early jets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

StandardVC10 posted:

It seems probably apocryphal to me but you see people make that claim occasionally. German engineers were experimenting with swept wings (for aerodynamic reasons) years before the 262, and Messerschmitt was putting swept wings on all of its transonic aircraft (163 and the 1101) at the time.

I've never seen any primary source thing to support it but I bet if anywhere could find such a thing it is this thread.