Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

xzzy posted:

Versa looks like a 1950's television.

To be fair, that probably has a lot to do with my lame watch face.

It also says a lot about the current selection of Fitbit watch faces that I settled on that one after owning the thing for a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Ohio, actually! Grew up watching hockey, but the closest teams were Detroit or Pittsburgh. But gently caress Pittsburgh. I am in California now, however.

Check out the app Hockey Tracker. It tracks stuff like shift lengths, max speed, distance skated. You can totally use most of the useful features without the $20/year subscription as well.

The man has good taste. It’s going to be a painful couple of years moving forward but it’s gotta happen.

Thanks for the recommendation I’m definitely going to check that app out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The hockey tracking app indicates I am a bad player unfit to play the game, so frankly it's not worth any money until they fix that.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I went 38mm and never looked back. I have relatively small wrists however. What sealed it for me was nearly all of the employees wore 38mm at my fruit stand; two of them said they wore the 42mm at first but it felt too large.

It's all personal preference of course. I also live in Lilliput for what it's worth. :japan:

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

I left the house today and walked outside at what I would consider a faster than "brisk" pace, and Watch said that counts as "movement" but not "exercise."

What the gently caress, Watch? I'm OUT of the HOUSE. That's EXERCISE! :mad:

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Congrats that your HR isn’t very elevated while doing light tasks? You can manually start a walking exercise that will count toward daily goal regardless.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Is there a reason why the watch just flat out refuses to register standing? It oddly happens later in the evening, where it'll remind me to stand and I'll stretch for a bit and it just refuses to give credit. I'll even walk around for a minute and nothing.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Shake your wrist a bit as you walk :v:

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I think arm position matters. If I’m sitting and let my arm hang down I get standing credit notifications sometimes.:smuggo:

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

RoboCop 3 posted:

I left the house today and walked outside at what I would consider a faster than "brisk" pace, and Watch said that counts as "movement" but not "exercise."

What the gently caress, Watch? I'm OUT of the HOUSE. That's EXERCISE! :mad:

I found it got better when I committed to starting frequent "Other" workouts for doing tasks that aren't necessarily exercise but do raise your heart rate, like yard work for example. Now it seems to be pretty good about giving me exercise credit for strenuous activities on its own.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm looking for a pomodoro app for my series 0 watch. I'd like it to be minimal fuss and I don't need any time tracking or data analysis or anything. I just want to set my intervals (e.g., 25/5) and pres butan and then the watch should tap my wrist every 25/5 minutes. I don't want to have to manually acknowledge anything (like, I don't wanna press "okay" or "continue"); it should just keep tapping every 25/5 minutes until I say to stop.

Does anyone have suggestions? It could be an iPhone app too that sends notifications but the important thing is that I don't want to interact with it in any way other than pressing start and end a few hours later.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I'm fairly sure Flat Tomato does exactly that.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

So if I'm getting an Apple Watch for someone, and I decide to get GPS + Cellular, and their current iPhone is on Verizon, do I have to purchase a separate contract through Apple with Verizon at the time of purchase? Or do I just throw the phone at them and tell them to figure it out?

If I could get the contract separately it'd be ideal, but if not, maybe I'll get the GPS only..

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Just going through the purchase thing, it doesn't ask anything about carrier stuff, so I assume you just buy the service after the fact.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

So if I'm getting an Apple Watch for someone, and I decide to get GPS + Cellular, and their current iPhone is on Verizon, do I have to purchase a separate contract through Apple with Verizon at the time of purchase? Or do I just throw the phone at them and tell them to figure it out?

If I could get the contract separately it'd be ideal, but if not, maybe I'll get the GPS only..

You can buy the watch and that's that. When they connect it to their phone, the Watch app will say "hey this is an LTE do you want to sign up for data with your verizon plan? you get 3 months free" or something similar. The user can handle it all on the phone.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is there a way to mass delete messages off the Apple Watch? The Messages app is super sluggish and im not sure if its because I have so many messages on it. This is a Series 2 if it matters. I wish the watch in general wasn't so sluggish.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

buglord posted:

Is there a way to mass delete messages off the Apple Watch? The Messages app is super sluggish and im not sure if its because I have so many messages on it. This is a Series 2 if it matters. I wish the watch in general wasn't so sluggish.

I don't think many messages are stored on the watch itself it fetches them as you scroll backwards through your message history.

My Series 1 rarely feels sluggish tbh so either we have different expectations of how fast these things should be or there is something up with yours. I believe the usual advice is to re-pair it which backs it up then restores. Takes a while but is painless.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You can delete messages on your phone and they'll still be on your watch

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You can delete messages on your phone and they'll still be on your watch

Yeah this can be an issue if you are doing some sneaky poo poo too. I wish the watch mirrored the phone..

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Someone over on the Apple Watch subreddit found out her husband was cheating on her by that exact method so a word of warning to everyone :v:

Don't be bold 😤😤😤

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah this can be an issue if you are doing some sneaky poo poo too. I wish the watch mirrored the phone..

hey man don’t cheat on your partner

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
My best friend and I were playing a board game together when our phones went off simultaneously, He looked at his and immediately grabbed my phone, then went to delete what ever text I just got. I then looked at my watch and laughed at the photo of his wifes tits sent in a group chat to him, my wife and myself.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Apple Watch is great I’m what I’m reading.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Best watch

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Binary Badger posted:

I’m a bit late to this, but buy it from Apple and it’ll work fine from Verizon. The only time I had an issue was on an Apple Watch sold by sprint (no idea why, I couldn’t figure it out).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Apple Watch is great I’m what I’m reading.

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

:getin:

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

I'm really surprised at how much more I use Siri now that it's on my wrist. For whatever reason, I just never bothered when it was on my phone, but when it's right there on my watch, I use it all the time for all kinds of little things. Being able to set reminders and timers without getting out my phone is really useful. It's obviously in need of improvement. (You're telling me I can't create a simple note without my phone?) But it's still really helpful as-is.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

RoboCop 3 posted:

I'm really surprised at how much more I use Siri now that it's on my wrist. For whatever reason, I just never bothered when it was on my phone, but when it's right there on my watch, I use it all the time for all kinds of little things. Being able to set reminders and timers without getting out my phone is really useful. It's obviously in need of improvement. (You're telling me I can't create a simple note without my phone?) But it's still really helpful as-is.

I'm having the exact opposite experience. Siri begins listening, then right as I speak my first word, I get the three haptic bumps and she cuts me off with "sorry, can you say that again?". I have to repeatedly do this until it lets me finish an entire statement. Does anyone know whats up with it?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I just want to say it's so loving nice going out for a run with just my watch and airpods and apartment key.

Also I'm just a beginner runner who's trying to run away unemployment depression and my god it just kicked my rear end.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

buglord posted:

I'm having the exact opposite experience. Siri begins listening, then right as I speak my first word, I get the three haptic bumps and she cuts me off with "sorry, can you say that again?". I have to repeatedly do this until it lets me finish an entire statement. Does anyone know whats up with it?

I have the best luck when I put the watch up to my face.

But I commonly have three things listening: my phone, carplay, and my watch. The watch only triggers when its the closest device to my mouth.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Matt Zerella posted:

Also I'm just a beginner runner who's trying to run away unemployment depression and my god it just kicked my rear end.

Stick with it, it gets better :3:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There are a billion 0-to-5k plans out there and they all do teach basically the same process. It's super surprising how fast you improve when you stick to one of them.. the intervals seem like they ramp up way too fast and there's no way you can keep up but then you hit week 7 or 8 and are doing uninterrupted 20 minute jogs and holy poo poo it works.

Hardest part is ignoring how fast/slow you're actually moving. All that matters is you finding a pace that lets you complete the workout. Once you're doing 30 minute runs that's when you start obsessing over how fast you're going in those 30 minutes.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

buglord posted:

Happens to me. I have to repeat a 2nd time and that works. I don’t know why on the first try it immediately stops listening assuming I didn’t say something or only got part of what I said.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

xzzy posted:

There are a billion 0-to-5k plans out there and they all do teach basically the same process. It's super surprising how fast you improve when you stick to one of them.. the intervals seem like they ramp up way too fast and there's no way you can keep up but then you hit week 7 or 8 and are doing uninterrupted 20 minute jogs and holy poo poo it works.

Hardest part is ignoring how fast/slow you're actually moving. All that matters is you finding a pace that lets you complete the workout. Once you're doing 30 minute runs that's when you start obsessing over how fast you're going in those 30 minutes.

I just set a mile run, started my playlist, started jogging, walked when it got to be too much and then ran again when ready.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
My fiancée went from being “not a runner” with frequent bouts of plantar fasciitis three years ago to doing C25K with a friend and I to being on a social running team and doing multiple half-marathons per year and flying to marathons and poo poo. It’s totally doable.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Do any of the c25k apps work standalone on the watch? I did some research but all the discussion I found was from the S1/S2 days.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah. Unless they’ve changed all C25K is just interval training. Run a minute. Walk two minutes. Then it’s run 90 seconds. Walk a minute. By week whatever you’re up to just running the whole 30 minutes. It’s not distance base so I’m sure you can find a basic app that just tracks the time.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

buglord posted:

This always happens to me and it drives me insane.

Or "Ok, I'll tap you when I'm ready."
"Sorry I cannot do that right now"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

iSmoothRun is the least bad run tracking app that supports intervals.

Seconds Pro is my favorite interval timer for the watch, but it doesn't support distance tracking at all which is a thing runners care very much about.

Pretty much everything else comes tied with a subscription IAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Come to Crossfit where you can smash your watch with kettlebells, it's a blast!