Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much money do you spend on this game?
This poll is closed.
Thar she blows ($300/mo.) 9 5.52%
We got our hooks in 'em ($100-$300/mo.) 11 6.75%
They's taking the bait! ($20-100/mo.) 25 15.34%
Toss 'em back in the sea. (F2P - $20/mo.) 118 72.39%
Total: 163 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

I have a fd fire veritas built that can basically solo LGD. Should I put him up for my friend unit? He can do 25% of the dragonlords hp in a good hit, but isn't immune to sleep (no danger, just wastes turns). Theoretically, he can die if he gets hit with a bunch of physical attacks only, but I gave him pure white blessing to reduce that risk. He does need an escape partner to get to the boss.

Edit: Decided to just put him up. 632883386

ZarathustraFollower fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

Mile'ionaha posted:

Check the wiki, since it depends on the character. For most of characters it's incremental (e.g. 50% break at l.1, 51%break at l.2, 74% break at l.25) but for others it doesn't actually change the impact but makes it require fewer crystals to fill up.

Yea, I was reading on reddit that for the ones where it reduces the LB crystal cost, the reduction only happens at max level, there's no change for all the levels in between. That got me wondering whether it was the same for the multiplier or buff/break changes or not.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Ancillary Character posted:

Yea, I was reading on reddit that for the ones where it reduces the LB crystal cost, the reduction only happens at max level, there's no change for all the levels in between. That got me wondering whether it was the same for the multiplier or buff/break changes or not.

That's an interesting question! I know that usually it doesn't matter, but I've always kind of wished I could find details on each LB for each level, not just min and max.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Honest question but if I have Wilhelm and Basch together is LMS really that super critical? I just have this sneaking suspicion this is another one of those Nier banner 9S type deals where I over invest to get it and don't.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Servaetes posted:

Honest question but if I have Wilhelm and Basch together is LMS really that super critical? I just have this sneaking suspicion this is another one of those Nier banner 9S type deals where I over invest to get it and don't.

You'll be fine if you have Wilhelm. Basch is not really comparable because he's a cover tank not a provoke one.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Hey, out of curiosity, I’ve been running with Fryevia as one of my main damage dealers, and given her abilities and the fact that I already have access to a few single weapon boosting TMRs I’ve just been equipping her with her needle. But I just got unlocked that sorcery Tmr (the sword with high attack and magic boosts), would it be better to have her dual wielding? I’m just curious if the benefits of 2x attacks outweighs the benefits of all her single weapon boosts. Right now I’ve got her at 880 atk and 783 mag, which seems pretty solid, especially since I shelled out for all her ability enhancements as well. Just wondering if I could make her even stronger.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
The general consensus since her appearance was dual wielding was best because x2 attack outweighs the “bulk” MAG boost.

iloverice
Feb 19, 2007

future tv ninja
Is there a good place to find updated BiS for most characters?

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

hagie posted:

The general consensus since her appearance was dual wielding was best because x2 attack outweighs the “bulk” MAG boost.

I guess you have a point. Especially now with her enhancements. Looking at the exact stats of those on the wiki makes it look like 2x frost flower blitz followed by 2x second intention will wreck poo poo. Thanks for the clarification. Guess I’ll find someone else to throw that marshal glove on.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

iloverice posted:

Don't worry about bis, worry about YOUR bis. You can put your inventory in the builder and use it to find what the best you can do is.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

InequalityGodzilla posted:

I guess you have a point. Especially now with her enhancements. Looking at the exact stats of those on the wiki makes it look like 2x frost flower blitz followed by 2x second intention will wreck poo poo. Thanks for the clarification. Guess I’ll find someone else to throw that marshal glove on.

Your mileage would definitely improve putting on some one ATK based. Fryevia shines when there is a huge disparity between her ATK and MAG, but MAG is easily her primary focus.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Ignore second intention. Later on in 7* it might be useful to self cap a T-Attack with a DW orlandu or VoD but right now you miss out too much damage from the chain modifiers to just self cast second intention raw.

hagie posted:

Your mileage would definitely improve putting on some one ATK based. Fryevia shines when there is a huge disparity between her ATK and MAG, but MAG is easily her primary focus.

This was only the case when hybrid gear was so uncommon. Right now pure hybrid gear will outdamage focusing on a single stat. It just happens that magic wins out because you can get more of it from certain piece of gear like chest and hat. The atk/matk ratio is less than 200 between stats in the BIS hybrid set up

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 30, 2018

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

iloverice posted:

This is the builder NinjaD is referring to. It's really quite awesome. It takes a bit to set up, but once you get it down you can plug in whatever dude you want and it calculate him as best you can make him. You can even input all 5 of your teammates and it will give them the best of what's left over of your equipment. You can also tailor the build to specific enemy types and elements. You just need to give it access to your google drive, and it will save a raw spreadsheet with the data it pulls from.

iloverice
Feb 19, 2007

future tv ninja

NinjaDebugger posted:

Don't worry about bis, worry about YOUR bis. You can put your inventory in the builder and use it to find what the best you can do is.

Oh yeah, totally. I was more thinking of using an updated BiS list to use as a guide on what TMRs would give me the most benefit.

McSpankWich posted:

This is the builder NinjaD is referring to. It's really quite awesome. It takes a bit to set up, but once you get it down you can plug in whatever dude you want and it calculate him as best you can make him. You can even input all 5 of your teammates and it will give them the best of what's left over of your equipment. You can also tailor the build to specific enemy types and elements. You just need to give it access to your google drive, and it will save a raw spreadsheet with the data it pulls from.

Oh dang, thanks for the link and explanation. I didn't realize it was so powerful.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

NinjaDebugger posted:

I have 10 friend slots open plus inactive goons yet to purge. Hit me up at 103,135,071 for all your carry needs.

I'm not going to pass on a goon carry offer!

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

Anyone have any tips for beating The True Garuda? I have a pretty good team but is there any "need to have" unit?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Aerith Gainthborough posted:

Anyone have any tips for beating The True Garuda? I have a pretty good team but is there any "need to have" unit?

Provoke tank with 'death' protection. AOE MAG cover tank. Both of those are pretty handy but I wouldn't say they're 100% necessary.

Phase 1 is just a damage race so get as much damage into Garuda as you can as quickly as you can. Can be broken on everything but MAG. Olive is a good choice to take as you can have her break DEF and debuff Lightning resist then have your Orlandeau/DV/Whoever unload with a Lightning chain and let her finish it round 2. Orlandeau, DV, and Fryevia aren't good choices on their own as Garuda resists their elements. Tidus is also a good choice but you'll need more time to build to his LB which could cause issues.

Phase 2 you want to kill the Supara add first as it buffs Garuda. The other one only heals which if you can stabilize after Supara is dead then you'll win. So repeat the phase 1 strategy against Supara, then the other add, then Garuda itself.

edit: Don't take my Olive because I'm a poor bastard who can't afford the Black crysts to get shattering shot to +2. Not the T4/T5 crysts mind you, I've got 10/20 of those still. It's the loving T1/T2 crysts that are the hardest to farm because they're completely RNG dependent.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Servaetes posted:

That’s mostly been my point in taking about it. If you didn’t get him, I’d probably still throw in dailies fishing for him just in case we do get the parameter missions because he does indeed make those easier. No one should break the bank for LMS at all but there should be even less temptation if you already have Wilhelm or Noel.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I took wol, ramza, Orlandeau, friend fry, and yshtola

I buffed with ramza rap+2, arms broke with wol, armor break, light is with us, reapply arms break to birds, chained with tgc and fry on Garuda and used yshtola to heal. Ysh healing was probably overkill since ramza was technically healing too.

I tried killing the adds first, and failed miserably. So I nuked Garuda and then went after top bird. Was fine. Got all the missions.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

PaybackJack posted:

edit: Don't take my Olive because I'm a poor bastard who can't afford the Black crysts to get shattering shot to +2. Not the T4/T5 crysts mind you, I've got 10/20 of those still. It's the loving T1/T2 crysts that are the hardest to farm because they're completely RNG dependent.

The Chamber Of The Fairies is broken?

Ugato posted:

That’s mostly been my point in taking about it. If you didn’t get him, I’d probably still throw in dailies fishing for him just in case we do get the parameter missions because he does indeed make those easier. No one should break the bank for LMS at all but there should be even less temptation if you already have Wilhelm or Noel.

I've got neither of those, though I was lucky enough to pull a Liquid Metal Slime The Other day.

Let's talk current 4*-base tanks.

The best AOE magic is Mystea, obviously.
The best AOE physical is... Warrior of Light? Earth Veritas? Probably not Cecil.
The best provoke tank is Liquid Metal Slime or Ozetta? How good is Ozetta, anway, for those who don't have Wilhelm or LMS?

Aerith Gainthborough posted:

I used Freindyevia, Fryevia, Ayaka, 9S and Chow.

Chow could be switched out for Mystea, the Fryevia's for any two single-target perfect chainers of your choice, Ayaka for your best healer (with Reraise If possible) and 9S for the SPR breaker of your choice, possibly WoL for added tanking.

It took 2 rounds to get Garuda down to 49%, where she summons her mini-me buddies, one round each for the buddies, and two more to finish Garuda off. I wasn't close to any real danger.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

The Chamber Of The Fairies is broken?

RNG dependent in the sense you can't guarantee that you'll get X crysts over Y runs. At least with the KM events I know that if I farm Z amount of currency I can get X number of crysts.

I've tried farming the story events too and I just never seem to get black crysts. Always more of these worthless loving Green ones.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 30, 2018

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

PaybackJack posted:

RNG dependent in the sense you can't guarantee that you'll get X crysts over Y runs. At least with the KM events I know that if I farm Z amount of currency I can get X number of crysts.

I've tried farming the story events too and I just never seem to get black crysts. Always more of these worthless loving Green ones.

I know this is crazy, and random is random, but I'm halfway convinced that not all colors are equally likely from the story events.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

werdnam posted:

I know this is crazy, and random is random, but I'm halfway convinced that not all colors are equally likely from the story events.

I would certainly not be shocked to find out that Power/Black/Support are on a lower drop rate than the others.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The secret is to farm story events and then use king mog events to buy the crysts that the RNGods have denied to you. :eng101:

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

gumi pls add t1s to king mog tia

e: Didn't the daily purchase originally come with 2x T1s before they changed it to 1 T2?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, but his problem isn't T4/T5 crysts, it's the common ones he needs... and I agree, it feels like they have a lower drop rate than the others... but we also want those more than to others, too.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Scrublord Prime posted:

gumi pls add t1s to king mog tia

e: Didn't the daily purchase originally come with 2x T1s before they changed it to 1 T2?

At this point I'd even settle for a 'breakdown' recipe that converted 1 T# into 2 T#-1s.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Let's talk current 4*-base tanks.

The best AOE magic is Mystea, obviously.
The best AOE physical is... Warrior of Light? Earth Veritas? Probably not Cecil.
The best provoke tank is Liquid Metal Slime or Ozetta? How good is Ozetta, anway, for those who don't have Wilhelm or LMS?

LMS beats out Ozetta for sure in terms of raw mitigation. Even enhanced Wilhelm doesn’t beat LMS by a ton in the raw numbers (damage to death, etc) department. But Ozetta is much easier to control and provides some group utility. She’s got a higher base defense than WoL and her provoke has a baked in mitigation, so she’s a pretty strong provoker. Good thing is you can use a pod with her to prop up her mitigation, versus needing a generic dr like from Yan to bolster LMS’ mitigation. I think she definitely earns the title “4* Wilhelm”.

Cecil’s gimmick is a single target cover tank. That used to be the two-tank strategy because Cecil got such a big mitigation bump when covering an ally. So you’d provoke and Cecil would cover the provoker and take less damage. Plus be able to heal pretty well too. He’s not very valuable any more.

WoL and EV are still pretty even. Enhancements didn’t really pump up WoL’s survivability much. It mostly comes down to the rest of their kit. If you need breaks, bring WoL. If not, I’d say bring EV, if only for having a LB you’d actually consider casting.

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

Honestly, and this is a serious issue, GL has so much more Dodge Gear that a Physical Provoke Tank absolutely NEEDS to bring something better to the table nowadays. Because there are support units who bring great kits that can also flawlessly provoke tank thanks to full dodge. Behold, a budget Zargleblargle. no 5* TMs, very few event gears (True Spirit and Defender)

Zargabaath 6★
Right hand: Defender ATK+65
Left hand: Moogle Plushie DEF+25, SPR+25
Head: Cross Helm HP+5%, ATK+6, DEF+26
Body: Assassin's Vest DEF+40, SPR+20
Accessory 1: Gauntlets ATK+20%, DEF+5, SPR+5
Accessory 2: Twenty-sided Die
Materia 1: Evade
Materia 2: Evade
Materia 3: Evade
Materia 4: True Spirit of Freedom ATK+20% Dodge 15%
Esper: Golem HP+55, MP+43, ATK+32, DEF+45, MAG+16, SPR+16
Total: HP:5495, MP:300, ATK:402, DEF:378, MAG:176, SPR:268

What does this bring you? A provoke tank (thanks to golem and plushie) that doesn't NEED damage mitigation because he dodges it all, brings solid buffs to the table (damage mitagation, elem resists, 60% buffs, some status resists), a major MP restore (ST 50% MP), etc, etc...

Pair with a magic cover tank and you're good to go!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
We (well, some of us) also have Illusionist Nichol in global, which allows for all sorts of fun and sometimes broken tanking options too.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
Isn’t the best 4* provoke tank Cag?

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

BDawg posted:

Isn’t the best 4* provoke tank Cag?

Not anymore, LMS is.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Good bundles are up on the store and this months rewards are absolutely insane. Do not miss login in any day

Kumog
Dec 28, 2006
Am I your god?
Got me a second Emperor from today's draw, hells yes.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

I now have FIVE Liquid Metal Slimes. I just want the goddamn robot.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Good bundles are up on the store and this months rewards are absolutely insane. Do not miss login in any day

Yeah, I'm up to 90~ something tickets. Bring on the CG Lid and CG Nichol!

I also dropped a couple lapis refreshes to get the black t1s I needed for Shattering Shot +2.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 12:55 on May 1, 2018

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Skyridge posted:

I now have FIVE Liquid Metal Slimes. I just want the goddamn robot.

Meanwhile, I have the rowbutt, but I'll never get Dragonlard or LMS. I pretty much never get the good units in limited banners.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Got me a dragonlord today. He's so cool.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I’m not pulling on this one. None of the units really do anything that anyone else I have doesn’t do way better, and I don’t really like DQ all that much.

Some of the TM’s are nice though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Gumi has sort of a rotating baseline for packages now that's way better than what was available during the Christmas and New year's draught. They look like they are monthly deals, and they are way better than the metal chests.

And motherfucking 10+1 and a 5* ticket. June colab is a repeat of a previous colab. If 7* aren't out by then I sure hope it ain't Nier

• Locked thread