Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Toshimo posted:

:wtc: Who unironically complains about "netdecking" in TYOOL 2018?

80s James Hetfield does it a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Toshimo posted:

:wtc: Who unironically complains about "netdecking" in TYOOL 2018?

I saw it a bit on the MTG Arena forums too. I felt like I was back in 2001. You don't even have to look up decklists! Theres a billion threads going "WOAH I won a lot of games with [deck]! [card] is super powerful!" hell you don't even have to read the threads, just look at the titles and you have half a working deck lmao

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

TheKingofSprings posted:

80s James Hetfield does it a lot

Hardly, since I play a deck (that's bad) that Jim Davis came up with. I only pointed out that not even a full day after the open it's been easily 90% of what I've been playing against online.

Some of ya'll really reach when discussing certain topics, drat

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I netdeck a ton but right now I have this vision of lich's mastery gideon esper abortion. I will not rest until I lose the game but have a gideon emblem out that says I can't lose the game. Or I might go mardu and do glorious end to end their turn and not lose. I'm sure I want black white but I'm not sure if I can support a 3rd color or if I should. Green could get me ramp and lots of saprolings plus shalai counters and the kamahl legendary sorcery. Red gets burn and glorious end. Blue gets gearhulks and counterspells. Hmm.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
"Netdecking" or whatever is totally cool and good and people should do it but I do share the frustration of trying to test a new brew and hitting 75-card-identical matchups seven times in a row

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

net decking can be good. i was trying to do a u/w aura build during ixalan, before rivals, but felt like it wasn't getting what it needed to get to where i can start closing out games. it was after seeing (i think it was) ben stark's list that i realized that i should be putting in sram for card draw.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

net decking is also cool because sometimes it feels good to beat someone with a deck you threw together yourself when all they did was throw money at a list and didn't bother learning how to pilot it. this also i think helps dispel the Money Beats Strategy aspect of magic a lot of the people who hate net decking seem to scrubscribe to

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

STONE COLD 64 posted:

net decking is also cool because sometimes it feels good to beat someone with a deck you threw together yourself when all they did was throw money at a list and didn't bother learning how to pilot it. this also i think helps dispel the Money Beats Strategy aspect of magic a lot of the people who hate net decking seem to scrubscribe to

Magic has a lot of ego-protection systems in it - stuff that people can point at other than themselves to explain away losing. For some people, "at least I didn't netdeck" is one of those things.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
those who excel at brewing, can. those who cannot, netdeck.

that doesn't imply a positive or negative character trait for the player though-- you can be an excellent deckbuilder but suck at playing, or you can lean on crowd-made concepts that are tried and true and be good at playing it. How often do you see rogue decks taking high marks at GPs or PTs?

Meanwhile.

A deck of mushroom bois for fun guys who want to break the mold and play a deck that isn't spore-ing.

I think I found my "budget" deck until I build something more reliable. All I really need that costs anything are Tendershoot Dryads, Metallic Mimics, and Blooming Marshes because lol Foul Orchard.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 1, 2018

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

AnEdgelord posted:

Honestly I wouldn't mind Wastes just being a non rotating card like the other basic lands.

Basic lands rotate. They just keep printing them.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I never understood the need to be a special snowflake in regard to deckbuilding. The place to get creative is your sideboard or small tweaks against the meta you expect at a given tournament. Trying to reinvent the wheel all the time usually just leads to playing a lot of terrible decks.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I have never felt such an intense desire for something more material involving cardboard in my entire life.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 1, 2018

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Buffis posted:

I mean, you could just do
T1: Forest, Oviya, 4x Mox, Karn

Angry Grimace posted:

You can technically have a hand with Oviya, Forest, Mox Amber, Mox Amber, Mox Amber, Mox Amber, Karn and play him on Turn 1. Just float all of the mana from the Moxes.

cheetah7071 posted:

There isn't actually any special rule making basic lands always legal. They're constantly legal because they get reprinted every set.

Angry Grimace posted:

Basic lands rotate. They just keep printing them.

You do understand that people wouldn't constantly be calling you out as the worst poster in the thread if you weren't constantly treating it like a write-only medium, right?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
netdecking isn't bad, sane people only talk about it when a very small number of decks become all anyone ever plays, so they're not really complaining that someone copied a decklist, they're complaining that everyone is copying the same lists and the meta has become bad

this is a valid complaint because a stale meta is not usually fun, i think :shrug:

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Matsuri posted:

those who excel at brewing, can. those who cannot, netdeck.

that doesn't imply a positive or negative character trait for the player though-- you can be an excellent deckbuilder but suck at playing, or you can lean on crowd-made concepts that are tried and true and be good at playing it. How often do you see rogue decks taking high marks at GPs or PTs?

Meanwhile.

A deck of mushroom bois for fun guys who want to break the mold and play a deck that isn't spore-ing.

I think I found my "budget" deck until I build something more reliable. All I really need that costs anything are Tendershoot Dryads, Metallic Mimics, and Blooming Marshes because lol Foul Orchard.

This list not including 1) Fungal Infection and 2) Torgaar is full crazy pants

I'm less sure about Torgaar, but Fungal Infection is full gas. That card's gonna be a top-shelf removal spell even for decks with no saproling synergy

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

sit on my Facebook posted:

I'm less sure about Torgaar, but Fungal Infection is full gas. That card's gonna be a top-shelf removal spell even for decks with no saproling synergy

The only B -1/-1 spells I can think of getting played in Standard in the past deckade were Peppersmoke, Darkblast, and Tragic Slip. Don't think Fungal Infection even comes close to any of those.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Lone Goat posted:

The only B -1/-1 spells I can think of getting played in Standard in the past deckade were Peppersmoke, Darkblast, and Tragic Slip. Don't think Fungal Infection even comes close to any of those.

Being (well, producing) a full blocker is very relevant, even without synergies on board. It can block an x/2 or kill a pair of x/1s when attacking. I think it's extremely powerful, but the ceiling depends on how good X/1s and X/2s are in the format.

Off the top of my head, though, it gets:

- nu-Knights
- Llanowar Elves
- Bomat Courier
- Earthshaker Khenra

when played turn 1 on the draw, while leaving behind a saproling (or chumping something else) in the process.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
On the other hand it does gently caress-all against a ton of other decks, and if you're looking for a sideboard card against low-to-the-ground aggro decks you'd likely go for cheap sweepers instead.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

precision posted:

netdecking isn't bad, sane people only talk about it when a very small number of decks become all anyone ever plays, so they're not really complaining that someone copied a decklist, they're complaining that everyone is copying the same lists and the meta has become bad

this is a valid complaint because a stale meta is not usually fun, i think :shrug:

It's basically this. Netdecking as a general proposition is fine because 1) playing against worse decks isn't necessarily all that fun anways and 2) even if less people did it, you'd still see the same cards at leats in Standard because some cards are just clearly more powerful than other cards.

sit on my Facebook posted:

The part I don't get is not having Song of Freyalise and Llanowar Elves, actually. You can just blow people up with Tendershoot Dryad and Vigilant/Trample 4/4 Saprolings on Turn 4 or 5 if you get a great draw with that. Slimefoot is cute, but I don't think it's Constructed good. It's really slow, and the body is kind weak, and the dead saproling ability feels a lot less good given that the most common thing that will kill all your saprolings makes your opponent gain life.

It's weird SO is questioning whether Llanowar Elves would make his green deck better. It's one of the most insane turn 1 plays in the format.

Toshimo posted:

You do understand that people wouldn't constantly be calling you out as the worst poster in the thread if you weren't constantly treating it like a write-only medium, right?

Uh, nobody calls other people out at all other than you because you're the only person who gets mad all the time about Magic: the Gathering. I don't care if something makes you mad because everything related to Magic makes you mad.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 08:21 on May 1, 2018

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Angry Grimace posted:

The part I don't get is not having Song of Freyalise and Llanowar Elves, actually. You can just blow people up with Tendershoot Dryad and Vigilant/Trample 4/4 Saprolings on Turn 4 or 5 if you get a great draw with that. Slimefoot is cute, but I don't think it's Constructed good. It's really slow, and the body is kind weak, and the dead saproling ability feels a lot less good given that the most common thing that will kill all your saprolings makes your opponent gain life.

It's weird SO is questioning whether Llanowar Elves would make his green deck better. It's one of the most insane turn 1 plays in the format.

Slimefoot IS cute, that's part of the reason why I like it. But I also agree, Llanowar Elves and Song of Freyalise would be an excellent accelerating factor in ways that Slimefoot can't be of benefit in. I actually don't disagree with the Fungal Infection bit either because it can also be a combat trick too if an attacking or blocking creature has more than 1 toughness, so you get removal and a saproling replacement if you don't have Freyalise buffs or Sporecrown or Tendershoot anthems going yet.

That said, Slimefoot + Torgaar could be a fun combo too. Get a fatty on the board, halve the opponent's life, and if you have Fungal Plots out, you can probably wipe out what's left of your opponent's life by Slimefoot pings via saproling sacrifice. Janky and probably awful, but fun.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 08:33 on May 1, 2018

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Matsuri posted:

Slimefoot IS cute, that's part of the reason why I like it. But I also agree, Llanowar Elves and Song of Freyalise would be an excellent accelerating factor in ways that Slimefoot can't be of benefit in. I actually don't disagree with the Fungal Infection bit either because it can also be a combat trick too if an attacking or blocking creature has more than 1 toughness, so you get removal and a saproling replacement if you don't have Freyalise buffs or Sporecrown or Tendershoot anthems going yet.

That said, Slimefoot + Torgaar could be a fun combo too. Get a fatty on the board, halve the opponent's life, and if you have Fungal Plots out, you can probably wipe out what's left of your opponent's life by Slimefoot pings via saproling sacrifice. Janky and probably awful, but fun.
Yeah, I played with Slimefoot when I was first trying to make a Saproling deck, but I pretty quickly figured out that Song of Freyalise is underrated in a go-wide strategy - the inherent problem with ramp is that Ramp doesn't do anything in terms of winning you the game unless you have other cards to play, except that isn't true of Song of Freyalise, which sometimes just wins you the game because you get big trampley dudes.

The biggest problem though is how much play Steel Leaf and Chainwhirler see. Decks full of 1/1s are soft as hell to those cards.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 08:50 on May 1, 2018

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
True, but perhaps you could hold back on dropping a bunch of saprolings until you get Metallic Mimic or Sporecrown out for those matchups? That way they are at least 2/2s so Chainwhirler can't kill them via ETB, and you probably just want a kill spell for SLC. Vicious Offering could actually be pretty good for that purpose. -5/-5 for 1B and a dead token doesn't sound like that awful of a deal.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Song Of Freyalise, or "wait, what do you mean indestructible? ... God damnit"

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Angry Grimace posted:

Uh, nobody calls other people out at all other than you because you're the only person who gets mad all the time about Magic: the Gathering. I don't care if something makes you mad because everything related to Magic makes you mad.

I’ve been called out many times, and never by Toshimo, so ymmv I guess.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Angry Grimace posted:

Thank you for proving his point that you never loving read the thread.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
all posters are bad except catdad and mcmagic hth

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

mossyfisk posted:

all posters are bad

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

mossyfisk posted:

all posters are bad except catdad and mcmagic hth

im a good poster as well

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
History of Benalia is now an $18 dollar card. Good lord

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
That’s what I call...

*puts on sunglasses*

...some dark knight rising.

https://youtu.be/6YMPAH67f4o

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm gonna call you out on always trying to do some weird lame attempt at bandwagoning a day late because, as others have noted, you never read the loving thread. just do a quick ctrl+f for the post you're responding to and see if anyone got there before you the next time you try to do your thing.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

80s James Hetfield posted:

The number of opponents who spent two+ mythic rare wildcards on History of Benalia only to get swarmed with vampires before they hit phase 3 is :discourse:

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm a tiny bit disappointed that there's no callbacks or visual references to the metathran, Urza's blue-aligned engineered soldier race. i guess they died out after the Invasion old Tolaria exploded and no one left to make them

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lone Goat posted:

It's much more flexible than a -1/-1. You get the -1/-1 which kills a surprising amount of stuff, and you also get a saproling at instant speed. That means that you can (a) chump block the same thing you gave -1/-1 to if it's attacking and kill it if it had two toughness (or more, if you had a lord); (b) chump block something else while killing a one toughness creature; or just (c) getting a new saproling at instant speed for one mana with the potential upside of killing one of your opponents' creatures.

You've gotta try playing with it, it's surprisingly flexible and useful in more situations than you'd expect.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 1, 2018

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I got got by my opponent at a PPTQ this weekend when I attacked with an Earthshaker Khenra and a Bomat Courier into his Fungal Infection; 2 for 1 for B was a pretty good deal for him. I still ended up winning though and I don't think the card does a lot of work outside of countering Monored's early game. Granted, it does a good job at that, but so does Fatal Push, which has the upside of being able to kill Kari Zev and Soul-Scar Mage, too.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

evilweasel posted:

It's much more flexible than a -1/-1. You get the -1/-1 which kills a surprising amount of stuff, and you also get a saproling at instant speed. That means that you can (a) chump block the same thing you gave -1/-1 to if it's attacking and kill it if it had two toughness (or more, if you had a lord); (b) chump block something else while killing a one toughness creature; or just (c) getting a new saproling at instant speed for one mana with the potential upside of killing one of your opponents' creatures.

You've gotta try playing with it, it's surprisingly flexible and useful in more situations than you'd expect.

Yes thank you for reading the card to me but I was fully capable of doing that. I'm saying that I feel like all those things are low impact and it's maybe a sideboard card at best, not

quote:

a top-shelf removal spell even for decks with no saproling synergy

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
People in my LGS complain about netdecking all the time. I don't get it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

80s James Hetfield posted:

What a silly card to print at mythic rarity.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Aranan posted:

I never want these people to cook for me.

*as I lay retching on the floor and gasping out a choked "why?!"*

"Well yes, my quiche includes marshmallows, fiberglass insulation, and I eschewed eggs. I'm not going to be a filthy netdecker and follow a recipe. That's basically cheating."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Aranan posted:

Just be glad it's not full meta and have people complaining about playing off-tier decks that their tier decks cant handle. The salt is so good though.

I generally bring a top 2-3 meta deck to bigger events; but FNM? that's fun time where i'm brining whatever strikes my fancy and that's probably some sort of offbeat deck