Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Milo and POTUS posted:

God I wish I had what it takes to rock those shades.

Even if you did, good luck finding them.

Grey Ant Composite, sepia 2014 $3-400. But you can't find them. I looked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

swickles posted:

He was screaming and confused. The mom had wet hair and appeared to be wet.

He was only doing that after she opened the shower door.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Well that's obviously because he penis was sliced off when Syd's clothing reappeared, and not, like, delayed shock or anything.

:thunk:

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I've heard that sometimes during sexual encounters the penis actually comes OUT of the female to change positions or possibly when finished. Obviously we don't know what stage of making of loves they were in, but that's just one possibility to this scene of a 16 year old girl having sex with a grown man that we are all spending way too much time on.

But my wife and I said pretty much the same thing while we were watching. And I wondered why Syd and Mr Man didn't change places if she switched back during sex so it had to be that at that moment they weren't actually touching for some reason or perhaps at 16 her powers needed time to recharge.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Let's be honest, if I found my boyfriend in a compromising position with my daughter, I would not be listening to any excuses about body switching.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I honestly wonder if Sydney even tried to offer any. By which I mean that I absolutely understand why she wouldn't but she absolutely wrecked that guy's life.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the freaky friday mutant power does seem to have drawbacks.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

uber_stoat posted:

the appearance of comics Legion was inspired by the paintings of Egon Schiele, the artist whose work is displayed in the art museum bits.

Might be a bit of foreshadowing about the future virus, since Schiele died in his early twenties to the Spanish Influenza.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
is there a future virus? I thought the virus died with the monk

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't think we know for sure what was going on with the future, just that something was killing people.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

is there a future virus? I thought the virus died with the monk

In the comics there is something called the Legacy Virus that kills mutants and eventually humans.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It seems to be that the Shadow King's body itself is dangerous and can cause madness and other ailments. So it might make sense that in the future, because David kills the Shadow King, the body continues to spread all of that unchecked. Or maybe David ends up putting his consciousness in it and that corrupts him, which is why future Syd was coy about where David was in the future.

Omegaxisalphabeta
Jul 22, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

I don't think we know for sure what was going on with the future, just that something was killing people.

I think that David is going to be the bringer of the Apocalypse by way of the delusion that has been mentioned. The Shadow King is the only one who could possibly fight David and that is why future Syd wants David to help him find his body. It also makes sense because future Syd says that she liked seeing him as he was then, presumably before he became some sort of monster.

Edit:
Alternative Theory

I'm not super familiar with the original comics but isn't it David who kicks off the Age of Apocalypse by accidentally killing Professor X in the past? Could the apocalypse literally be Apocalypse?

Omegaxisalphabeta fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 29, 2018

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
no, you idiot, it's not literally going to be en sabah nur and it will never ever be en sabah nur. I even typed out a long joke post about season 3 being age of apocalypse when everyone was bringing up other stupid comics bullshit but upon finishing I realized it was so geeky and retarded a suggestion, even made ironically, I deleted it in shame so this makes me especially mad

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Autism Sneaks posted:

no, you idiot, it's not literally going to be en sabah nur and it will never ever be en sabah nur. I even typed out a long joke post about season 3 being age of apocalypse when everyone was bringing up other stupid comics bullshit but upon finishing I realized it was so geeky and retarded a suggestion, even made ironically, I deleted it in shame so this makes me especially mad

I would be so, so loving into that. Age of Apocalypse was easily my favourite thing that ever happened in the comics. Of course it never will be and not only for the reason that they literally just made a lovely movie based around Apocalypse.

They could maybe do a similar thing though, he accidentally creates a universe where everyone is ‘different’ and he has the sense that it’s wrong but doesn’t know which version is actually real or what he did to change everything, ends up spending a whole season there. I vaguely remember some other show doing something like that at some point.. Fringe maybe?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Who knows with this show, but my vote is no alternate timelines* from a show where the base timeline lacks any normalcy already and feels like, itself, an alternate timeline. You need a good “base” from which to diverge...

* My one exception is if we get a reveal that S2 has all been a divergent timeline from something else. Or a hallucination or manifestation. I mean, it HAS felt about a thousand percent weirder than S1, right?!

I love this show, but S2 barely feels like it even connects to S1 outside of the characters. S1 at least had scenes out in the public space with people around, going about their lives...

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Feenix posted:

I love this show, but S2 barely feels like it even connects to S1 outside of the characters. S1 at least had scenes out in the public space with people around, going about their lives...

Yeah, there’s a real claustrophobic feeling to this season. Which makes me wonder if David is still in the mini-sphere and all this is delusion (imposed on him or not). It could go a long way toward explaining some *seemingly* minor character inconsistencies. I’m not saying that’s what’s happening, but your comment made me realize how closed in every thing feels.

This lives right next door to the whole “It was all a dream...”, but strangely enough this is probably the only show for me (besides the Newhart ending) where this would be acceptable.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, there’s a real claustrophobic feeling to this season. Which makes me wonder if David is still in the mini-sphere and all this is delusion (imposed on him or not). It could go a long way toward explaining some *seemingly* minor character inconsistencies. I’m not saying that’s what’s happening, but your comment made me realize how closed in every thing feels.

This lives right next door to the whole “It was all a dream...”, but strangely enough this is probably the only show for me (besides the Newhart ending) where this would be acceptable.

I feel like this is the kind of show where the writers are sensitive about avoiding the bigger cliches of the unreliable narrator genre, at least based on how they handled season 1, where a great deal of the most weird and surreal elements were the actual world, not David's subjective perceptions of it.

The 'it was all a delusion' or 'this was all in his head all along because a psychic is messing with him' approaches undercut the trust they've built with the audience so far and are so obvious they'd steer clear of them (hopefully)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ekeog posted:

I feel like this is the kind of show where the writers are sensitive about avoiding the bigger cliches of the unreliable narrator genre, at least based on how they handled season 1, where a great deal of the most weird and surreal elements were the actual world, not David's subjective perceptions of it.

The 'it was all a delusion' or 'this was all in his head all along because a psychic is messing with him' approaches undercut the trust they've built with the audience so far and are so obvious they'd steer clear of them (hopefully)

I agree with you. I more mentioned it because the prior comment led my brain down that path.

I would hope the writers aren’t heading down that path as well, and actually trust they aren’t. However, while being a bit disappointed, I would still accept it in the narrative, because... well, poo poo around David is just weird enough that it’s plausible.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Proteus Jones posted:

I agree with you. I more mentioned it because the prior comment led my brain down that path.

I would hope the writers aren’t heading down that path as well, and actually trust they aren’t. However, while being a bit disappointed, I would still accept it in the narrative, because... well, poo poo around David is just weird enough that it’s plausible.

Yeah, I'm with you, they've built up enough goodwill with me they could probably get away with stuff other shows couldn't. I doubt it'll happen but maybe the more likely variation based on the comics would be that this isn't all David's personal delusion, but rather a whole world he's drawn everyone else into without them knowing. But the Shadow King did a lesser version of that last season, so it may be too soon.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
I will straight up argue that we would be lucky if this show just turned into giving extremely cliched plots its own special idiomatic treatment for the sake of making more seasons. If the options are only 2 seasons of an amazing thing or 2 amazing seasons plus a few more OK ones but with the uniquely cool poo poo still happening, I know which option I would choose.

I get that it's more likely that any quality drop will end up with the show getting canned, I'm just saying the real reason this show is a gem has very little to do with whether or not the plot beats are predictable or familiar.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I would not be surprised if Jon Hamm doesn't make it on this show. I was listening to a Movie Time with the Mads (of MST3K fame) recently and Tarrantino came up. They said one of the best things about his films is when he throws convention into the wind. One example was the one line of narration in Inglorious Basterds by Sam Jackson that explained why film was flammable. Noah Hawley, though not a friend of mine, seems like the kind of guy to do something similar, in this very nontraditional television show.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Quick yes or no question, has this season so far kept up with Season 1's quality?

No spoilers please. I'm trying to cut down on the amount of TV shows I watch. I loved Fargo and S1 of legion, so I'll probably keep watching, but wanna make sure it's worth it. Thanks.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Yes. There might be a contrarian naysayer or two (there always is) but overall the thread consensus has been that it's great.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
This season has kept up with the quality. Perhaps even exceeded it. It has (in my opinion) also gone a little more arthouse avant garde, for better or worse. I feel, personally, like Season 1 told a more conventional story but turned it on its ear in a big, creative way. Season 2 feels like someone hit the pause button on the show’s world and busted out a microscope-that-is-also-a-kaleidoscope. A real fine study of characters through the lens of an LSD trip.

I think I prefer S1 a tad, but that diminishes none of my enjoyment of S2.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Feenix posted:

This season has kept up with the quality. Perhaps even exceeded it. It has (in my opinion) also gone a little more arthouse avant garde, for better or worse. I feel, personally, like Season 1 told a more conventional story but turned it on its ear in a big, creative way. Season 2 feels like someone hit the pause button on the show’s world and busted out a microscope-that-is-also-a-kaleidoscope. A real fine study of characters through the lens of an LSD trip.

I think I prefer S1 a tad, but that diminishes none of my enjoyment of S2.

I loved S1, but I think I love S2 even more for the exact reasons you mention. This is poo poo we never see on TV and I’m loving every minute of it. It’s a big middle finger to any sense of “traditional programming” and I adore them for it. It’s not just pushing boundaries, it’s barreling right past them.

I’m also loving the conversations we have trying to make sense of what we just saw.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Yes, none of what I said above is to diminish how much I am enjoying S2. Just that, side-by-side, I enjoyed the unusual take on traditional storytelling of S1. I guess I’d just like a tad more coherency or exposition. Not a lot. Just maybe a bit more. (Personal preference.)

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Season 2's great and feels more consistently thematically solid to me and I assume it's because Hawley wrote the entire season and not just a handful of episodes.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
All the wacky poo poo has been cranked to 11, and it's pretty much all been wacky poo poo.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I said in the season 1 thread that after I watched the first episode I was left "wait that was all in his head? That's dumb. Is every episode going to end with a reset and we never have any idea what is real and what is not? Any character or plot progression will be wiped away constantly because nothing is what it seems? This is more of an art project than a TV show, it could never be satisfying in the long run."

BUt then you watch episode 2 and bam, there is a reality, which makes the show much more satisfying.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Man, I thought I'd clicked on the thread for season two of The Handmaid's Tale and I was all :raise: at it being described as "wacky."

I got nothin' else. I'm just really looking forward to the next episode (of both, but Legion is definitely a less tense viewing experience).

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

"Apparently on Legion" :laffo:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

howe_sam posted:

"Apparently on Legion" :laffo:

it's beautiful

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
well, "whose body is that?" is a hell of a question

night slime
May 14, 2014
The bug...wtf..

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Haha, Jon Hamm was voicing a car commercial and I wasn't looking and thought it was the show coming back on.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
hmmmm

I wonder if it's Amy's body

it'd be a hell of a way to write her off

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Now that's an appropriate song cue.

Also, :stonk:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
well

I wish I was wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

drat, this is a hell of a show.

I guess we can see why David killed the Shadow King in future Syd's timeline.