Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whizbat!
Jan 22, 2004
Fun Shoe

Xaris posted:

good

i hope toronto gets it

nooooooooooooooooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

qirex posted:

my four stomachs allow me to fully process vegetable fiber

four stomachs and an rear end in a top hat

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lancemantis posted:

speaking of palo alto I discovered they have some weird as hell city limits this weekend

yeah it's p weird how they gobble up black mountain while menlo park just takes a big bite outta them

menlo park is weird too and has this odd little unincorporated area punched out

honestly the way most of the peninsula and south bay are bound is dumb since for the most part it's just undifferentiated urbanization that's needlessly atomized into all of those municipalities

los angeles county is the same way, i assume state law or the state constitution plays into it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

tyvm for the title change

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

beeps are a kind of woo

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Roosevelt posted:

beeps are a kind of woo
more and more people are saying this

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Roosevelt posted:

beeps are a kind of woo

#notallbeeps

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

los angeles county is the same way, i assume state law or the state constitution plays into it

a lot of the time it happens so an area can keep its tax dollars local or keep its rates low rather 5han get revenue siphoned to other neighborhoods. the city of industry in la is a prominent example.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Roosevelt posted:

beeps are a kind of woo

Cheese Is A Kind Of Meat

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the coolest beep guy is "leans on the horn in gridlock" since he's at least trying to address the problem even though he's at the tail end of a clearly visible half mile of unmoving cars

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i think the coolest beep person is the one who mashes the horn to get the rear end in a top hat sitting at the green light to move.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i hate honking my horn but when you invoke the fury i lay on that bitch

biggest hot zone is roundabouts. jesus christ, yield already

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
and i literally carry a canvas bag with every tool needed to pull dents out of my car, so uh, your game of chicken, son

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

the thing i usually see is idiots yielding too much at entry points, sometimes to cars that aren’t even there! :spooky:

e: i also like the idea of you staring another motorist down from your car, one hand on the wheel and the other menacingly brandishing a partially used tube adhesive from your dent kit.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yeah it's p weird how they gobble up black mountain while menlo park just takes a big bite outta them

menlo park is weird too and has this odd little unincorporated area punched out

honestly the way most of the peninsula and south bay are bound is dumb since for the most part it's just undifferentiated urbanization that's needlessly atomized into all of those municipalities

It's because Palo Alto is literally the evil rich people zip code from Veronica Mars.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

quote:

A CNN investigation has found that at least 103 Uber drivers in the US have been accused of sexually assaulting or abusing their passengers in the past four years.

The drivers were arrested, are wanted by police, or have been named in civil suits related to the incidents.

At least 31 drivers have been convicted for crimes ranging from forcible touching and false imprisonment to rape, and dozens of criminal and civil cases are pending, CNN found.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jonny 290 posted:

I mean you aren't supposed to yield if your in a roundabout tho??? That said, don't be a dick and zoom super fast bursting your hemorrhoids--let people in and don't be angry if someone takes advantage of some car spaces infront

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

nobody saw this coming

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

President Beep posted:

e: i also like the idea of you staring another motorist down from your car, one hand on the wheel and the other menacingly brandishing a partially used tube adhesive from your dent kit.

oh even better, we literally use a hot glue gun

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
cross draw shoulder holster with the 120v plug all ready to go

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

the last cab driver I had in SF a couple of months ago complained about the total lack of background checks on uber drivers, and then proceeded to tell me about how he recently spent a few weeks in jail for "beating up a bum that had smashed his cab's window" before the cops arrested him, and how much of a shame it is that americans can no longer protect their own property. The strong eastern european accent made it kind of better.

E: he also complained about the presence of video cameras in his lovely apartment complex (as he described it) where his girlfriend apparently got assaulted on multiple occasions by people breaking and entering. The cameras made him feel like they no longer had freedoms anymore, and it was big-brother like and felt like a prison.

anyway that's my uber vs. cab drivers story for the day.

(I had a cabbie who picked me up at the SFO airport once, and asked if I could pay him in drugs. Not the best place for someone to just be carrying drugs but welp)

MononcQc fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 1, 2018

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Was the cabbie constantly getting calls from his cousin about bowling?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Did he know money can be exchanged for goods and services?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I’m assuming he was into cutting the middleman out

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

MononcQc posted:

(I had a cabbie who picked me up at the SFO airport once, and asked if I could pay him in drugs. Not the best place for someone to just be carrying drugs but welp)

should’ve offered him a handy instead. embrace the gig/skillshare economy.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

President Beep posted:

should’ve offered him a handy instead. embrace the gig/skillshare economy.
Dominic you rat! You weren't freeing me from the drudgery of labor! You were gigging my economy up to give me the Ol' Musky Technocrat!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

musky trombone

:mrgw:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

President Beep posted:

musky trombone

:mrgw:

gonna add this to my list of vignettes for my upcoming cyberpunk novel

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Assteroid Minors & the Red Planet: Virgin Space

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

lancemantis posted:

speaking of palo alto I discovered they have some weird as hell city limits this weekend

Did the sheriff drive you outside of town and make threats before throwing you bodily over them?

:ohdear:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

Did the sheriff drive you outside of town and make threats before throwing you bodily over them?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Uptime Sinclair posted:

Dominic you rat! You weren't freeing me from the drudgery of labor! You were gigging my economy up to give me the Ol' Musky Technocrat!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Schadenboner posted:

mr zuckerberg draws a lot of water in this town. you dont draw poo poo lancemantis. now we got a nice quiet little tech industry suburb here and I aim to keep it nice and quiet. so let me make something plain. i dont like you sucking around bothering our citizens lancemantis. i dont like your jerkoff name. i don't like your jerkoff face. i dont like your jerkoff behavior and I don't like you, jerkoff. do I make myself clear?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

FMguru posted:

mr zuckerberg draws a lot of water in this town. you dont draw poo poo lancemantis. now we got a nice quiet little tech industry suburb here and I aim to keep it nice and quiet. so let me make something plain. i dont like you sucking around bothering our citizens lancemantis. i dont like your jerkoff name. i don't like your jerkoff face. i dont like your jerkoff behavior and I don't like you, jerkoff. do I make myself clear?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yggQ3HbO0Wg

that and the next scene in the cab are probably my fave lebowski scenes

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i honk the gently caress out of my horn. sit at a green light reading your phone? honk. start impinging on my lane because you don't loving know how to drive? brake and honk.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Endless Mike posted:

start impinging on my lane because you don't loving know how to drive? brake and honk.

this is literally what the horn is for so idk what your point is

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

President Beep posted:

four stomachs and an rear end in a top hat

don't sign

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yggQ3HbO0Wg

that and the next scene in the cab are probably my fave lebowski scenes
mark zuckerberg treats objects like women man

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

i honk the gently caress out of my horn. sit at a green light reading your phone? honk. start impinging on my lane because you don't loving know how to drive? brake and honk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YXegpWOc_I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

this is literally what the horn is for so idk what your point is

sometimes i honk when i'm going through an intersection and someone's trying to turn right and didn't stop at the red to see if someone's coming, cuz i'm a rebel maaan :c00lbert: