Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'm still surprised that Relic didnt bother making a moba or a sequel to Last Stand. That was some free-rear end money there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

its pretty cool that most games seem to be decided by the end beginning of turn 1. that way you spend more time setting up and taking down than you do playing, which is where the real fun is had

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
when I think human soldiers with a life expectancy of ~lmao vs. cocaine elves made of glass and poison I think "long grueling match"

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I find it incredibly amusing that alpha striking just got nerfed into the ground and our drive-by shitposters pick this of all times to complain how games are decided on the first turn. It’s almost like they don’t play the game or have any clue what they’re talking about.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

when I think human soldiers with a life expectancy of ~lmao vs. cocaine elves made of glass and poison I think "long grueling match"

you dont think tho, you just kind of regurgitate braindead meme poo poo you read on 1d4 chan

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Warhammer 40K: grown-rear end adults rolling dice to determine the order in which they put away their dolls.

EDIT: Same could be said of pretty much any miniatures wargame, though, tbqfh

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

you dont think tho, you just kind of regurgitate braindead meme poo poo you read on 1d4 chan

Someone's quite the spicy boy tonight.

Moving on, is it normal for nuln oil to go super matte when thinned with water? I used up most of the bottle so I mixed in some water to get a little more mileage, and things have gone from semi-gloss to a dusty matte. I actually dont mind because it's giving my legion damned a neat stone look, mainly just curious.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
i mean it kind of fits, since games workshop is a model company. the game is just a conceit to display your little dollies that youve spent a lot of time fretting over to your nerdy friends

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
gently caress yeah Deathwatch

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Corrode posted:

Final Liberation 2 would be p. sweet

Yeah but honestly I'd love something that scale in 40k that was real time.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Total Exterminatus: The Emperor's Contingency

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

its pretty cool that most games seem to be decided by the end of turn 1. that way you spend more time setting up and taking down than you do playing, which is where the real fun is had

People need to play with more scenery.

No, more scenery than that.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Question: Can a unit that's been affected by nids "Metabolic Overdrive" strategem still shoot overwatch in the charge phase? Metabolic Overdrive reads:

"Use this strategem in your movement phase, after moving a Tyranids Unit in your army. You can make a second move with that unit (including advancing, if you wish) but when you do so you must roll a dice for each model in the unit. For each roll of 1, inflict a mortal wound on the unit. The unit cannot shoot or make a charge move this turn"

I bought a Scythed Hierodule when I was over at Warhammer World (great beer!) and I'm trying to think of the best ways of getting it in to my opponent's face. Moving, charging and killing something mid-field then using the Overrun strategem to move again seems like the best option, but in the absence of anything to leapfrog off of Metabolic Overdrive will give me a guaranteed 36" move. Being able to still use the flamer to overwatch after that would be nice.

I've settled on Hive Fleet Jormungandr so it'll start it on the board with -1 to hit from a thrope unit and +1 cover save, which is nice if I lose initiative.

Also some other quick questions:

– Can Titanic Monsters hop over friendly/enemy infantry at any time or is it just when it's falling back as per the description? ("Titanic Monster: Description:A Scythed Hierodule can Fall Back in the Movement phase and still shoot and/or charge during its turn. When a Scythed Hierodule Falls Back, it can even move over enemy INFANTRY models, though at the end of its move it must be more than 1" away from all enemy units. A Scythed Hierodule can shoot even if there are enemy models within 1" of it, as long as all enemy models have the INFANTRY keyword. In this case, it can shoot the enemy unit that is within 1" of it or any other visible enemy unit that is within range and more than 1" away from any friendly models. In addition, the Scythed Hierodule can move and fire heavy weapons without suffering the penalty to its hit rolls. Finally, the Scythed Hierodule only gains the benefit of cover if at least half of the model is obscured from the bearer."
– So long as all enemy models have the Infantry keyword, can the Hierodule shoot overwatch even if it's already been assaulted and there's an enemy unit within 1" of it?
– The Tyrannofex and Exocrine can shoot their weapons twice in "your shooting phase" if they don't move in the preceding movement phase. Can they shoot them twice for overwatch? The reason I ask is that we know now from the FAQ that you can use movement phase strategems for the Swarmlord's hive commander, so maybe overwatch is a mini shooting phase? By the same logic Single Minded Annihilation could be used after an infantry unit has shot overwatch ... so maybe not.
– I know there's some controversy about this, but can "Pathogenic Slime" can be used at any point in the shooting phase e.g. when damage is being allocated?

EAThief
Aug 28, 2006

I swear it's not what you think

What are the better chapters for all primaris* armies? I think I'm gonna start a collection of the big boys.

*I'm OK with using squat marines vehicles

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

EAThief posted:

What are the better chapters for all primaris* armies? I think I'm gonna start a collection of the big boys.

Raven Guard and Ultramarines.

Raven Guard get the good -1 to hit and Strike from the Shadows or whatever its called.

Ultramarines get to fallback and still shoot, and Gulliman.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
When you gotta go fast with Tyranids, Kraken and the Opportunistic Advance strat always seems better for getting things done once you’ve gotten where you wanna go. Pop the Onslaught psychic power and you can shoot/charge normally, and with 3d6 advance rolls you’re almost guaranteed at least 10” of extra movement.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Entropy238 posted:

Question: Can a unit that's been affected by nids "Metabolic Overdrive" strategem still shoot overwatch in the charge phase? Metabolic Overdrive reads:

"Use this strategem in your movement phase, after moving a Tyranids Unit in your army. You can make a second move with that unit (including advancing, if you wish) but when you do so you must roll a dice for each model in the unit. For each roll of 1, inflict a mortal wound on the unit. The unit cannot shoot or make a charge move this turn"

I bought a Scythed Hierodule when I was over at Warhammer World (great beer!) and I'm trying to think of the best ways of getting it in to my opponent's face. Moving, charging and killing something mid-field then using the Overrun strategem to move again seems like the best option, but in the absence of anything to leapfrog off of Metabolic Overdrive will give me a guaranteed 36" move. Being able to still use the flamer to overwatch after that would be nice. This turn means player turn, so yes you can use it for overwatch if you're charged. The alternative would be e.g. "until your next Movement phase" or "end of the battle round" or something

I've settled on Hive Fleet Jormungandr so it'll start it on the board with -1 to hit from a thrope unit and +1 cover save, which is nice if I lose initiative.

Also some other quick questions:

– Can Titanic Monsters hop over friendly/enemy infantry at any time or is it just when it's falling back as per the description? ("Titanic Monster: Description:A Scythed Hierodule can Fall Back in the Movement phase and still shoot and/or charge during its turn. When a Scythed Hierodule Falls Back, it can even move over enemy INFANTRY models, though at the end of its move it must be more than 1" away from all enemy units. A Scythed Hierodule can shoot even if there are enemy models within 1" of it, as long as all enemy models have the INFANTRY keyword. In this case, it can shoot the enemy unit that is within 1" of it or any other visible enemy unit that is within range and more than 1" away from any friendly models. In addition, the Scythed Hierodule can move and fire heavy weapons without suffering the penalty to its hit rolls. Finally, the Scythed Hierodule only gains the benefit of cover if at least half of the model is obscured from the bearer." Only when falling back.
– So long as all enemy models have the Infantry keyword, can the Hierodule shoot overwatch even if it's already been assaulted and there's an enemy unit within 1" of it? No, the rule that stops you firing overwatch is different from the rule that stops you selecting a unit in the Shooting phase
– The Tyrannofex and Exocrine can shoot their weapons twice in "your shooting phase" if they don't move in the preceding movement phase. Can they shoot them twice for overwatch? The reason I ask is that we know now from the FAQ that you can use movement phase strategems for the Swarmlord's hive commander, so maybe overwatch is a mini shooting phase? By the same logic Single Minded Annihilation could be used after an infantry unit has shot overwatch ... so maybe not. No, it's shooting phase only
– I know there's some controversy about this, but can "Pathogenic Slime" can be used at any point in the shooting phase e.g. when damage is being allocated? Don't know the answer to this one, can help if you add the rules text

Annotated your queries, hope that helps.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Pathogenic slime: "use this strategem in your shooting phase. Select a Tyranids Monster from your army. Increase the Damage of its attacks by 1 for this phase."

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

DancingShade posted:

People need to play with more scenery.

No, more scenery than that.

The terrain rules are a problem though. My Hydra could fire on a Razorwing without penalty because it's front running wheel could see the tip of an engine housing through two ruins and a rocky outcrop 46" away.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Corrode posted:

Annotated your queries, hope that helps.

Fantastic – thanks for the help. I think you were the same guy that answered my questions the last time about charging order except you had a different AV.

On the issues:

Metabolic Overdrive: Great, thanks
Titanic Monster Falling back: Great, thanks
Tyrannofexes and Exocrines shooting twice: Great, thanks
Pathogenic Slime: Other guy got to it before me
Firing Overwatch when engaged: Are you certain about this one? On one of the Tyranid Hive forums threads a guy emailed FW for a rules clarification and they sent the following:

quote:

My Question: "Some of the FW Lord of Wars have an ability that allows them to fire their weapons while within 1 inch of enemy models. A Barbed Hierodule for example can fire it's Biocannons if it is surrounded by units that only have the Infantry keyword. My question (among many at the local game store) is: Does this rule allow these models to fire their weapons in overwatch if they are already engaged in combat (within 1 inch of enemy models)?"

FW Answer: "Thanks for getting back to me. The Steel Behemoth rule states that the vehicle may fire it's weapons even if enemy units are within 1" of it, therefore it may fire in Overwatch as the only stipulation for firing Overwatch is that no enemy units can be within 1", which Steel Behemoth ignores.

The best way to get your head around this is to be aware that there isn't a situation in the current 40k rules where a unit is in a perpetual state of melee in game terms. Units are allowed to attack enemy units with Melee weapons if they are within 1" of them and there are restrictions on shooting (Steel Behemoth ability aside) and moving depending on the proximity of enemy units but that is it."

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

EAThief posted:

Raven Guard and Ultras are never going to be wrong answers, but also look at the Iron Hands: their pseudo-FNP might help with the proliferation of 2W primaris-killing weapons (since you’re paying a huge premium for that second wound).

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 13:01 on May 1, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
There's also DA for plasma shenanigans or BA for helping in CC and making Inceptors really flexible. The new Deathwatch codex might also be interesting.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Also to contribute further than just asking annoying questions, "Steel Behemoth" for Imperial Guard tanks was amended in the recent FAQ to specifically prohibit overwatch:

‘Steel Behemoth: This model does not suffer the penalty to its hit rolls for moving and firing Heavy weapons. This model can Fall Back in the Movement phase and still shoot and/or charge during its turn. It can, except when firing Overwatch, also still fire its weapons if enemy units are within 1" of it (but only its twin heavy bolter or twin heavy flamer can target units that are within 1" of it – its other guns must target other units). In addition, this model only gains a bonus to its save in cover if at least half the model is obscured from the firer.

No similar change was made to Titanic Monster so maybe that could be interpreted that they intend that you should be able to.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Entropy238 posted:

Also to contribute further than just asking annoying questions, "Steel Behemoth" for Imperial Guard tanks was amended in the recent FAQ to specifically prohibit overwatch:

‘Steel Behemoth: This model does not suffer the penalty to its hit rolls for moving and firing Heavy weapons. This model can Fall Back in the Movement phase and still shoot and/or charge during its turn. It can, except when firing Overwatch, also still fire its weapons if enemy units are within 1" of it (but only its twin heavy bolter or twin heavy flamer can target units that are within 1" of it – its other guns must target other units). In addition, this model only gains a bonus to its save in cover if at least half the model is obscured from the firer.

No similar change was made to Titanic Monster so maybe that could be interpreted that they intend that you should be able to.

Titanic models firing overwatch on every charge is not really OK, and makes it quite hard for assault based anti-tank to deal with them(how do you charge a character into a baneblade or titan if it can overwatch?). If it isn't clearly allowing it, and the one that did clearly allow it got FAQed, I can't really see an argument that they intended to allow it.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Yeah I'm sure re: Overwatch. Forge World don't know anything about rules and their inbox is just whoever is hanging out that day. Besides anything else, that email gets the rules for Overwatch wrong.

Re: Pathogenic there's nothing that says you can't use it at any point. I wouldn't bother with the gamesmanship because it'll definitely get erratad when they notice, but it works for now RAW.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Ok thanks. I'll take both of your word for it.

My thinking was that Steel Behemoth and Titanic Monster both have broadly similar wording with respect to the 1" rule, and that whoever was compiling the erratas must have known that they both exist. I thought from the fact they changed one to specifically preclude overwatch, and then didn't change the other meant that it could be inferred that the other is able to fire overwatch (when already engaged).

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Playing 2000 points tonight against the guy DB on the Badcast talked about playing a great game with at Adepticon. He's a fixture at my FLGS and I've never actually gone against him.

Dude has 11 armies and they're all painted loving splendidly. Always friendly and talkative, gives good advice, the best of which was "just field one of everything, you'll have more fun"

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

adamantium|wang posted:

The terrain rules are a problem though. My Hydra could fire on a Razorwing without penalty because it's front running wheel could see the tip of an engine housing through two ruins and a rocky outcrop 46" away.

That almost seems like a deliberately engineered issue with the current edition. Functional but problematic enough people will throw money at an official solution.

Would not be surprised if an 8th edition City Fight comes out with new terrain rules.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
I would like to see improved cover rules or easier ways of getting cover. Now that it’s not a flat invuln and AP weapons can mess with it, cover saves aren’t nearly as powerful as they were in 6/7th. Go to Ground was nice, as was intervening terrain providing minor cover.

Also fortifications that aren’t awful would be nice. I’m assuming a new Stronghold book is in the works to buff them a bit.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I finally got around to starting to paint Celestine. I gotta say, it is a beautiful model but holy crap is it annoying to do anything with because of how springy it is.

Still, I am definitely looking forward to seeing what the rest of the Sisters range is going to look like.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Deathwatch previews are up.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Deathwatch previews posted:

Codex: Deathwatch brings Primaris Space Marines fully into the fold, allowing them, for the first time, access to Special Issue Ammunition.

:woop:

E: But goddamn are those some lazy Regimental Doctrines...

EE: Uh, guys? You might want to turn around... :ohdear:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 1, 2018

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Schadenboner posted:

I think they're kind of balanced around their ability to be changed on the fly, which can be pretty powerful.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like the idea of being able to change their doctrine using stratagems. Taking a Watch Master dude-thing reduces the cost of it, as well.
Don't know how people who actually play Deathwatch think about that, though.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
No special issue ammo on Aggressors. Only on normal Primaris bolt weapons. Those cowards.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
do deathwatch normally get to use special ammo in things like storm bolters?

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
So, giving primaris access to special ammo seems really, really, really good? Intercessors are okay costed and pretty decent defensively but lack much wow in their punch, and deathwatch as a whole suffers from punchy but extremely fragile and expensive troops?

Giving the primaris troops +6 range, - 1ap and reroll 1s to wound seems to solve both deathwatchs and the primaris problems. I'm very excited for this codex now.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Of course a preview that makes Primaris Marines look sick comes out the day I'm finally ready to start airbrushing my all-Primaris army. I think I'll just stick to what I was doing since they're DI sets anyway and then build up a Deathwatch detachment if it turns out they're actually good.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

zeal posted:

do deathwatch normally get to use special ammo in things like storm bolters?

Currently just Stalker Bolters, Boltguns and Bolt Pistols. I was hoping Storm Bolters would be added to the list. The one on the page doesn't sound exhaustive so crossing my fingers.

Tiger Millionaire posted:

So, giving primaris access to special ammo seems really, really, really good? Intercessors are okay costed and pretty decent defensively but lack much wow in their punch, and deathwatch as a whole suffers from punchy but extremely fragile and expensive troops?

Giving the primaris troops +6 range, - 1ap and reroll 1s to wound seems to solve both deathwatchs and the primaris problems. I'm very excited for this codex now.

24" S4 Ap -3 Rapid Fire basic weapons is pretty nuts.

Irate Tree posted:

I like the idea of being able to change their doctrine using stratagems. Taking a Watch Master dude-thing reduces the cost of it, as well.
Don't know how people who actually play Deathwatch think about that, though.

It's basically kind of how it worked back in 7th. I like it. Definitely always going with a Watch Master.

Pendent posted:

No special issue ammo on Aggressors. Only on normal Primaris bolt weapons. Those cowards.

This is a good call, honestly. Also I don't want to paint more bolter Aggressors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Schadenboner posted:

EE: Uh, guys? You might want to turn around... :ohdear:

The pics are supposed to make the models look badass--but this just makes them DW boyz look like lunch. Framing them with the terrain teeth on the left is particularly egregious and I love it.

Also, I painted a thing:

Completed my custom partly-MDF Necron Pylon's prime job just before a week of rain moved in, so that's up next. I also landed a better Illuminator Szeras model from WargamesExclusive, and am not certain whether it would be worse to paint Robotits or to expend the considerable effort modeling them off.