Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
New Forge World preorders look super hot. That surprise Belladonna bounty hunter looks very cool indeed. Rather eye-watering prices but it’s equivalent to Gor Half Horn I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Wow. Pretty much an instapurchase for me - GW3 and Belladonna.

I was thinking of retiring my Escher gang, or at least putting them on hold until other people have caught up, but now I'm eager to play with the new stuff announced!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
For anyone who missed it (like me) here's the Belladonna model:

There's something about it that I don't like, but I can't put my finger on it. I'm thinking that it's because all of the bionics are on one side and that kind of unbalances the figure. I prefer the Death Maiden:

glitchkrieg posted:

I was thinking of retiring my Escher gang, or at least putting them on hold until other people have caught up, but now I'm eager to play with the new stuff announced!
I like your logo.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

berzerkmonkey posted:

For anyone who missed it (like me) here's the Belladonna model:

There's something about it that I don't like, but I can't put my finger on it. I'm thinking that it's because all of the bionics are on one side and that kind of unbalances the figure. I prefer the Death Maiden:

I like your logo.

I think both minis are super rad.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

ineptmule posted:

I think both minis are super rad.

I don't hate Belladonna, and I'm 99% sure I'll buy the model. Her bionic arm is much larger than in the source art, and I think it's throwing off the lithe aspect of the model for me. The robo-foot is a little too boxy as well.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

BellaDonna is not bad, but that Death Maiden is rad as gently caress.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Next WD has rules for 'Venator Gangs' - https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/04/27/may-white-dwarf-preview-27-aprgw-homepage-post-2/

Which just seem to be 'take all the bounty hunters and use them together'.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, comparing any model to the Death Maiden is probably unfair. It's only a render right now, but that'll be a fantastic model at some point. Belladonna still rules though.

I think I want all of the mercs. :shepspends: Just waiting for the Orlock weapons now.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

My problem is that if I buy the Death Maiden it'll probably be out of scale with my old Escher and them whoops I have to buy the whole new gang, then my Escher are out of scale with my Orlocks so darn I guess I need to buy them so the games I pretend I'll eventually play will be balanced visually.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Meanwhile: would this be an OK starting gang for a campaign?
https://yaktribe.games/underhive/gang/pile_drivers_campaign.8928/

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Ashcans posted:

My problem is that if I buy the Death Maiden it'll probably be out of scale with my old Escher and them whoops I have to buy the whole new gang, then my Escher are out of scale with my Orlocks so darn I guess I need to buy them so the games I pretend I'll eventually play will be balanced visually.

Luckily the new models are great.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

JcDent posted:

Meanwhile: would this be an OK starting gang for a campaign?
https://yaktribe.games/underhive/gang/pile_drivers_campaign.8928/

Personally, I'd drop the combat shotgun and respirators and get a couple of Juves. I'd rather have more guys.

EDIT: This is the 12 strong gang I ran at Adepticon, and I did pretty well. Gang limit was 1200 (1120 is what I have in the list) so adjust accordingly.

FYI, this was made before I saw the FAQ entry on Bulging Biceps/Unwieldy. Coupled with the Rivet Cannon being so short range, I'd probably swap it out for something else.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 27, 2018

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Luckily the new models are great.

I guess it will just be my visually stunning cross to bear.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

berzerkmonkey posted:

Personally, I'd drop the combat shotgun and respirators and get a couple of Juves. I'd rather have more guys.

EDIT: This is the 12 strong gang I ran at Adepticon, and I did pretty well. Gang limit was 1200 (1120 is what I have in the list) so adjust accordingly.

FYI, this was made before I saw the FAQ entry on Bulging Biceps/Unwieldy. Coupled with the Rivet Cannon being so short range, I'd probably swap it out for something else.

I definite agree, also can’t think why anyone would take a stub cannon and bulging biceps on a champion!

Read a comment on th new gw3 stuff that said the rivet cannon was losing the unwieldy trait - not sure if true, but a welcome change if it is.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Anything so short ranged is crippled by Unwieldy, that would seem like a great change to improve that weapon.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again

Zark the Damned posted:

Next WD has rules for 'Venator Gangs' - https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/04/27/may-white-dwarf-preview-27-aprgw-homepage-post-2/

Which just seem to be 'take all the bounty hunters and use them together'.

Seems that way, although the description also mentions more religious witch-hunting gangs with executioner's hoods, masks and nooses. Time to paint up my old redemptionists perhaps!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Ashcans posted:

Just let her be tall.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Genghis Cohen posted:

I definite agree, also can’t think why anyone would take a stub cannon and bulging biceps on a champion!

I want a heavy stubber on a champ to happen eventually, and this is just a stopgap.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

JcDent posted:

I want a heavy stubber on a champ to happen eventually, and this is just a stopgap.

Having a champion with cheap kit as a stopgap for an eventual heavy weapon is a fine idea. But bulging biceps has been faq’d, it now removes the two handed use from unwieldy weapons but will not allow you to move and fire a heavy stubber. Additionally, a Goliath champion is a beast in close combat but no better at shooting than a ganger. You can give him an axe and stub gun for a mere 10 points, I’d go that way instead.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Rats, now I have a useless champ I have to downgrade.

This is one of the reasons why I'm holding out on Van Saars and Orlocks until their weapon kits come out.

But if you start with 5 bare minimum gangers (to allow for 2 champs and 2 juves), aren't you left with those fuckers for the rest of the game? What if you want to give a ganger a bolter or smth?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

JcDent posted:

Rats, now I have a useless champ I have to downgrade.

This is one of the reasons why I'm holding out on Van Saars and Orlocks until their weapon kits come out.

But if you start with 5 bare minimum gangers (to allow for 2 champs and 2 juves), aren't you left with those fuckers for the rest of the game? What if you want to give a ganger a bolter or smth?

Huh? What do you mean left with them? You can give gangers more kit, just the RAW is you can't remove weapons from them. And frankly I'd imagine 80%+ of gaming groups house rule that away in any case. I see no downside to having loads of gangers (if anything, I'd say juves are the models I'd skip taking).

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
We keep the rule about not removing gear, but make an exception when there’s a rules change. Eg when Toxin became not godawful, Arven let me remove my Fighting Knives from the models that had them. I still had to eat the cost of course—I could only sell them back for 5 cr—but having that kind of exception makes it much less risky to “finish” models hobbywise. For the Bulging Biceps change, I’d certainly let you pick a new skill and move gear around (or effectively demote the Champion to Ganger and promote the Ganger with desirable equipment to Champion).

For what it’s worth, I really like the general rule that you can’t remove items once assigned. The incentivized upgrade treadmill was one of the things that deterred me from playing old Necromunda.

Edit: missed that Gangers can’t take Rivet Cannons. Yeah, you’ll probably want to bench that model until the gun changes, unless your group comes up with a house rule. My Chemthrower model is benched, though for a less meta reason (she was captured, sold to the Guilders, ground into drugs, and smoked).

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 29, 2018

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

goatface posted:

Just let her be tall.

But that doesn't enable my habit?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Oh, to make it clear, I'm not in a campaign, I'm just trying to square away best practices of campaigning with the 10 models that I have.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Can't you swap weapons and equipment between gangers between campaign games?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

Can't you swap weapons and equipment between gangers between campaign games?

No. And, JCDent’s issue is that he has an assembled model with a fully integrated two-handed weapon that is, post-FAQ, pretty subpar in the only situation where it can legally be used.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Sulecrist posted:

For what it’s worth, I really like the general rule that you can’t remove items once assigned. The incentivized upgrade treadmill was one of the things that deterred me from playing old Necromunda.

I mean, I am generally in favour of giving people more options at the start, the no-swap-weapons rule seems like something which has to be worked around.

Interesting point about gear in Necromunda. My personal regret is that there's all this cool stuff in the armoury, grapnel launchers and drop harnesses and so forth. But they are rarely taken (if ever) because it's so much better to take bodies and guns. I think it's partly an insuperable divide between play the game from a role-playing type mindset vs playing to make your gang as strong as possible.

I do think all non-weapon upgrades which are situational (not stuff like armoured undersuits which are pretty good already) should have their cost reduced to really trivial amounts. You'd have to be careful with, for example, respirators, because if they were too cheap you could nullify an opposing gangs much more expensive gas weapons. But now they're 15 points and who the hell would take one? I'd rather see experienced gangs over-equipped with gunsights, special gear and cool tricks than have all that good stuff be completely neglected.

Another way to introduce it while avoiding potential spam of too-cheap options is for the arbitrator to dish some upgrades out randomly, as post mission rewards or from loot crate objectives.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

We have added the following:

-“Loot (roll 2D6)” replaces 2-3 result of “Nothing Useful” when a casket is opened.
-New Post-Battle Action: Scrounge (roll 2D6 and collect result on Loot table)

LOOT (2D6)
2. *Hive Scum (with gang until Out of Action)
3. Inferno Shells or Stimm-Slug Stash
4. Armored Undersuit or Bolt Pistol
5. Lasgun or Autogun or Fighting Knife
6. Respirator or Autopistol
7. Skinblade or Stub Gun
8. Grapnel Launcher or Laspistol
9. Frag Grenades or Telescopic Sight
10. Gunshroud or Shotgun (Solid/Scatter)
11. Bio-Scanner or Shock Whip
12. Rare Loot (roll D6)

RARE LOOT (D6)
1. Krak Grenades
2. Medicae Kit
3. Photo-Goggles
4. Mono-Sight
5. Infra-Sight
6. *Ammo Cache

*if result for Casket, 2D6x5 credits instead

We might tweak it after this Turf War ends, once we see Gang War 3.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

That being said, the limitation on switching equipment around definitely incentivizes those upgrades in the long run, at least when your group has a limit on the total number of models you can field at a time. Gunshrouds and gunsights in particular are attractive, because it doesn’t take multiple game sessions (or even multiple Turf Wars) to save for, so you’re less exposed to Looters, and because they let you give meaningful enhancements to (1) good characters with max gear and (2) cheap characters who have done surprisingly well for themselves. For (1), I have a plasma pistol murderer who will absolutely be getting gunshrouds and gunsights, because there isn’t really any other gear that increases her lethality. For (2), I have a Lasgun Juve who’s starting to accumulate experience and turn into a decent sniper, and gunshroud gives her a specific mission role and Mono-Sight keeps her terrifying (nearly guaranteed pinning off a low-value activation) even from 18” away.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Genghis Cohen posted:

I mean, I am generally in favour of giving people more options at the start, the no-swap-weapons rule seems like something which has to be worked around.

Interesting point about gear in Necromunda. My personal regret is that there's all this cool stuff in the armoury, grapnel launchers and drop harnesses and so forth. But they are rarely taken (if ever) because it's so much better to take bodies and guns. I think it's partly an insuperable divide between play the game from a role-playing type mindset vs playing to make your gang as strong as possible.

I do think all non-weapon upgrades which are situational (not stuff like armoured undersuits which are pretty good already) should have their cost reduced to really trivial amounts. You'd have to be careful with, for example, respirators, because if they were too cheap you could nullify an opposing gangs much more expensive gas weapons. But now they're 15 points and who the hell would take one? I'd rather see experienced gangs over-equipped with gunsights, special gear and cool tricks than have all that good stuff be completely neglected.

Another way to introduce it while avoiding potential spam of too-cheap options is for the arbitrator to dish some upgrades out randomly, as post mission rewards or from loot crate objectives.

I bought a Grapnel Launcher as one of my first purchases. They're fun to use, but Sprint is nearly always a better choice if you can access it. Still, it's fun to do multi-storey or 12"+ charges using Overseer.

My campaign has loads of people using sights - the terrible advances for Gangers mean they're pretty much mandatory if you want a Ganger to hit something. Telescopic sights are great for anything with a low short range (Autoguns, Bolters etc).

It's another reason why I think the "no changing equipment on a Ganger rule" is a bit poo poo. If somebody gets a WS/BS upgrade, then their previous kit can be completely worthless. The T5 Ganger I mentioned upthread? I'd much rather give her +1S, but the rest of her loadout being a pistol, a stiletto knife and a basic weapon means it'd be pointless.

Sulecrist posted:

For (2), I have a Lasgun Juve who’s starting to accumulate experience and turn into a decent sniper, and gunshroud gives her a specific mission role and Mono-Sight keeps her terrifying (nearly guaranteed pinning off a low-value activation) even from 18” away.

Juves can't take basic weapons though?

hexa fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Apr 30, 2018

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Josef Bugman being released as a Coach and Star Player at Warhammer Fest, with general release later (probably WHW Exclusive).

Between this and Scylla Anfiggrim being in Spike Magazine, plus White Dwarf and Black Gobbo, it looks like the nostalgia train isn't just stopping at Necromunda Bounty Hunters.

What other old WHFB characters should make the leap into BB? I'm kinda hoping for Gotrek and Felix, maybe Malus Darkblade (though they are less likely as they were in the novels / comics first and added to the game later).

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

glitchkrieg posted:

Juves can't take basic weapons though?

Nuts, I’ve been cheating. I’ve used her enough times that there’s not really an elegant way to deal with it. I’ll have to send a mea culpa text out. Thanks for the heads-up!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm really hoping Bugman gets a wider release from FW, those models are great. I especially like the coach version. I did see Grak and Crumbleberry at the FW booth at LVO so maybe there's hope he can be an event exclusive rather than just a Warhammer World thing.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Very interesting solutions to the whole Necromunda kit issue thing! I do see the point of sights etc being a key piece of kit. I do think there should be a hard limit on the total number of people in your gang to be honest. Not saying many people would/could actually do this, but quite a lot of the time it would be better to buy another ganger than take more kit, and it could get silly.

I do wonder how many people have managed to build up really fearsome, multiple advance fighters without them dying or being crippled. While the serious injury table seemed forgiving at first glance, a lot of games I've seen have mass numbers of 'in recovery' results causing a death spiral as defeat follows defeat because of low numbers. Critical injuries often might as well mean 'dead' in the early game, few people would give up their champion's action and pay (2d6)x10 credits to save a ganger, probably with some decreased stat, instead of just starting over.

I also wonder what their long term plan is for Necromunda. A compilation rulebook after GW5 seems obvious. But will it feature revisions for FAQ? Whole new rules based on feedback and testing? Minor balance changes? Will they release a new boxed set? No idea and I don't think anyone knows, but I like to think the designers have planned it out!

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
It was apparently a key goal of the designer to make it so that the only smart play is to cut your losses early if things are going south. Personally I feel that the campaign punishes you a little too hard for doing that, what with losing Reputation and so on, but if your group is conditioned to play fights out to the bitter end, people are going to end up with crippled gangs very quickly.

My Van Saar Gang got caught up in some nasty games. I hadn’t gone for many bodies initially and some early losses meant I was even smaller. Despite some great gear and good advances I found it impossible to do well for a while (extremely consistently poor dice definitely didn’t help.) Eventually I started setting my own goals, like kill one ganger and call it a day, and was able to get out of the death spiral simply by having less than half my Gang in recovery for the next games. My reputation was hammered, badly, but it was the only thing I could do to recover.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Venator Gamgs feel like “Please use our Necromunda rules to run those Inqusitor gangs we feature every two months in the Blanchitsu section of White Dwarf!” to me. Which I am not against.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Sulecrist posted:

That being said, the limitation on switching equipment around definitely incentivizes those upgrades in the long run, at least when your group has a limit on the total number of models you can field at a time.

Oldcromunda handled this by having your income scale down based on how many members were in your gang so there was benefit to less stronger dudes rather than just more bodies.

I wouldn't want to bring back the full old income system warts and all but it would be nice to newcromunda do something to incentivise upgrades over more mans.

I'm looking forward to GW3.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zark the Damned posted:

Between this and Scylla Anfiggrim being in Spike Magazine, plus White Dwarf and Black Gobbo, it looks like the nostalgia train isn't just stopping at Necromunda Bounty Hunters.
GW is releasing rules updates for all of the old WFB stuff to bring it into AoS as well. Of course, this coincides with them producing those models as limited runs, but whatever works.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
An old friend passed away a few years ago, and other friends gave me all of his warhammer related stuff, so I have two old Necromunda boxes with various parts missing but I don't have a desire to play necromunda for a lot of reasons. As far as I can tell, the only stuff that's probably of interest is the sprues of (orlock? is that the default?) gangers, but if anyone wants this stuff I'll send it to you. I can take additional pictures tonight if you want to look at something in particular, but it will all be with my phone. I'm fine with sending it to the US, beyond that we might be able to work something out?

fe: the link works for me, but if it doesn't for others, I'll fix it when I'm not on my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I wouldn't be too hasty to give that away for free.