Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Like a previous poster, I want a 10" tablet for digital comics and the occasional video when on the move. There's really no better option than a Fire 10 right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The 2018 (or even 2017) iPad is a better option, but also costs a lot more.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

The 2018 (or even 2017) iPad is a better option, but also costs a lot more.

Ehhh, my irrational hatred of Apple products keeps that from happening.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Try to get over it. I've had an Android phone since Android phones were a thing, but an iPad can't be beat for cheap good tablets. A Nook HD+ wasn't a good susbtitute. A Nexus 10 was an ok substitute compared to iPads with bad displays or the first iPad with a good display that couldn't push the pixels well, but was slow as hell compared to an iPad within a year or two. Meanwhile, an iPad Air 2 from 3.5 years ago is still nice to use daily. Get a used iPad from last year for like $200 (or $240 refurbished from Apple), continue to use it for the next 3-4 years.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 24, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah I only replaced my Air 1 since it probably won't get updated in the fall, and I got that at launch in 2013 (and with trade-in a 2018 only cost me like $200 out of pocket).

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Rhyno posted:

The screen resolution of the 12" iPad pro is amazing for reading comics in portrait or landscape(2 pages side by side). It really is better than anything else.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I'd like an ipad that runs android, ty.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

I also look at aspect ratios with comic books though it's more of a preference for me (and also depends on what you actually read). Example:

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Tsyni posted:

I'd like an ipad that runs android, ty.

That's basically one of the 4:3 Samsung tablets.

Unfortunately they don't come with consistent updates or an OS developer who gives a gently caress about tablets any more.

Just look at the official android tablet promo site, and see what's listed there that you can actually buy: https://www.android.com/tablets/

(It's kind of sad that a major android player finally switched to God's own tablet aspect ratio right when android tablets started to hit the steep part of their decline, really)

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

is it still common for Amazon to remove the special offers from a fire 10 if you tell them the ads are lagging at unlock/startup? I only ask cause the no special offers one is apparently out of stock until next week but the one with ads is available now...which seems unusual if it's just a toggle on their end.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

TheTofuShop posted:

is it still common for Amazon to remove the special offers from a fire 10 if you tell them the ads are lagging at unlock/startup? I only ask cause the no special offers one is apparently out of stock until next week but the one with ads is available now...which seems unusual if it's just a toggle on their end.

Yes. Also I think the "Special Offers" one is just pre-installed apps now and no lock screen stuff right?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh hey Ebay deal

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192487019774?ul_noapp=true

Use PLAN2SAVE for 15% off bringing it to $81.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My special offers fire HD 10 I got a few weeks ago has the lock screw ads. Not sure if it has any pre-installed apps, does the Washington post app count?

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?
What is a good 10-13" tablet that is pretty fast, carries some measure of updates, but doesn't carry unneeded vendor software bloat?

It'd primarily be for doing basic web surfing, email, and also some gaming...Usually what pushes most of the CPUs in these things a bit harder.

Battery life, so long as it's a good 6-8 hours, I'd be good.

Budget is realistically no more than $300. Bonus points if there are options for under this.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

2017 iPad
2018 iPad if you're willing to stretch the budget a bit, but the 2017 is still a very good value for the money

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Hit up that apple refurbished store for them for a bit more of a discount. I think the 2017 is like $240.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A refurbished iPad Air 2 might not be the worst idea, either, to be honest, though I don't know how much they're going for.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

A refurbished iPad Air 2 might not be the worst idea, either, to be honest, though I don't know how much they're going for.

At least on the Apple store, pretty sure they were slightly more than 2017 refurb.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
You guys are coming awfully close to making me buy a goddamn iPad. :-/

Annoying that if I would want to play any games on it I'd have to buy them all over again because everything else I have is Android. On the other hand, I would finally be able to get FTL on a tablet. Plus my comixology purchases would work regardless.

Still, last time I used something Apple, an iPhone something or other I had while my other phone was being fixed, it annoyed me so much that I swapped it out for a Windows Mobile thing, if I remember correctly. Or was it the other way around? Don't think so though.

Maybe I could borrow a recent iPad for a few days or weeks and see how it is.

edit: or just buy one and return it if I don't like it, I don't use those free return policies nearly enough as I should

uXs fucked around with this message at 11:34 on May 2, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The current basic iPad is a fantastic value for the price. Apple hit it out of the park and it's hard not to recommend. The only thing that's really comparable is Chromebook Tablets, but no one is making them with the same quality level at the price point.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I'm just going to order one and see what gives. 30 days money back no questions asked, hard to do wrong with that.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I stream sports games through chrome (i just google like, NBA Stream Reddit) and also torrent directly to the tablet

can ipads do those things yet

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I dunno, I'm an adult with a job so I just pay for things.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

I dunno, I'm an adult with a job so I just pay for things.

Same here, and i like to watch sports at the office you loving oval office lmao

Google how blackout restrictions work for the sports streaming services :ssh:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Statutory Ape posted:

I stream sports games through chrome (i just google like, NBA Stream Reddit) and also torrent directly to the tablet

can ipads do those things yet

Not sure about torrent, but yeah sports streams play fine

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

sourdough posted:

Not sure about torrent, but yeah sports streams play fine

That's cool, thats the primary concern. Last time i had an iPad they didn't but i suspect those were flash streams and now they're all html5 or something

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Hello I am looking for the cheapest possible decently functional tablet - all I want is to be able to stream stuff and dick around on somethingawful/reddit. Right now I tend to carry my laptop around the house with me for that stuff, and the hard drive keeps failing and it's gotten a few bumps and dings so I'd rather just let it sit happily when I'm not using it for work (I use my PC for gaming).

What would ya'll recommend? Between $80-$120, with some wiggle room

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A Kindle Fire of whatever size fits in your budget.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah I was looking at Fire 8's and the main problems seem to be they're loaded with bloatware and they advertise at you constantly, how intrusive is that? Would it be smarter to get like a Huawei?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Not sure what you mean by bloatware but the only thing installed on my Kindle 10 beyond Amazon content consumption apps was the Washington Post app (which is, in a roundabout way, also an Amazon content consumption app...). The ads are on the lock screen, and very occasionally (maybe once in the 2 weeks I've had it so far) I get a notification for some kind of Amazon sale. For that budget you're probably getting way more tablet subsidized by Amazon than you do buy actually buying $80-$100 worth of tablet.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Amazon's Special Offers are possibly the least intrusive supplemental system. I've never once been annoyed by it or felt like it was a hassle. Your brain will just tune out lock screen ads and actually they're kinda useful from time to time.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
So I got an iPad yesterday and it's been pretty good so far. Only ever used Android poo poo before, so there's some weirdness compared to what I'm used to, but nothing major.

One issue however, is how the Netflix app puts the closed captions right on top of people's faces.

I'm not a native English speaker so if English subtitles are available for anything I always turn them on because it makes it all just a little bit easier. I prefer English subtitles to my own language because translations are mostly terrible and I just sometimes need that tiny little bit of help understanding something if someone is mumbling of few words of dialogue.

But Netflix, for some reason, puts English subtitles (meant primarily for the hard of hearing) right in the middle of the goddamn screen, on top of the face of the person speaking? What the poo poo is up with that and is there any way to put those subtitles on the bottom where they belong?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uh, it is definitely not doing that on mine. They're along the bottom where I'd expect them. Is it everything you watch or just the first thing?

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Mother's old Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 conked out. All she wants is to watch Netflix, and have good enough wifi to book holidays and shitpost online in the Daily Mail comments section. And to be a brick that lasts 4+ years like the last one. Simple enough. Was thinking a Samsung Tab A 10.1, but are Lenovos any good? They definitely seem cheaper.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 3, 2018

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Endless Mike posted:

Uh, it is definitely not doing that on mine. They're along the bottom where I'd expect them. Is it everything you watch or just the first thing?

I was the first thing I watched, an episode of Elementary. I just checked a Star Trek TNG episode and there the subtitles aren't centered but more below the character speaking. At least they're at the bottom instead of on top of their face. I guess I should check some more things to see if Elementary or rather TNG is the norm or the exception.

1-Up
Aug 8, 2007

School Nickname posted:

Mother's old Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 conked out. All she wants is to watch Netflix, and have good enough wifi to book holidays and shitpost online in the Daily Mail comments section. And to be a brick that lasts 4+ years like the last one. Simple enough. Was thinking a Samsung Tab A 10.1, but are Lenovos any good? They definitely seem cheaper.
Those motherfucking cheap Lenovo tabs can burn in hell. They are even worse than their phones when it comes to boot loops and dead motherboards (work in retail). You might aswell buy a noname pad instead of a Lenovo.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is there a go-to keyboard case for the 2018 iPads? There's a ton on Amazon but a lot of them have pretty middling reviews.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Any new-ish Android tablets that can 1. take a SIM card, specifically T-Mobile and 2. aren't hot garbage?

Literally only one I can find is Tab S2, and that's kinda old and doesn't have band 12.

LabDrunk40
Jun 17, 2005

"I wonder if there's beer on the sun..."

So my mother's Lenovo Tab 4 (8 inch) kicked the bucket in less than a year. While she checks on the warranty info, I'm looking for a suitable replacement.

It's mostly light usage (Facebook/Candy Crush-type games) and she is used to the Android ecosystem (before the Lenovo she had a Nexus 7). Also, she likes the Google Photos backup and storage, and the extended family makes heavy use of Google Hangouts for chat communication.

The Fire tablets hit the price point and usage, but I'm worried about her not being tech-savvy enough to get the Play store up and running as well as integration with the Google apps I mentioned above. As I'm several states away, she'd probably have to rely on my sister who lives closer (~1 hour drive) for hand-on tech support.

There's also iPads, which while more expensive seem to have better build quality. There might be a learning curve, but it also looks like she'd be able to use both Google Photos and Hangouts with little issue. Any problems she could go to Apple store, which is closer than my sister.

Any opinions on these options, or other suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

android tablets are a barren hellscape

i have this one though https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1286014-REG/asus_z500m_c1_gr_9_zenpad_3s_mtk_8176_4gb_64gb_android.html

its built really nice and has good specs.

i got it instead of an ipad because my phones and laptop both use USB-C already so not having a different charger was appealing to me. i also enjoy android :shrug:

its probably overpriced